main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun The Treehouse Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Healer_Leona , Sep 21, 2020.

1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I work from 5 pm to 12 am tonight.

Princess_Tina and Blobofat like this.
  2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    ewww, sorry. I have never like working shift other than first, even when I had to. Granted, when they close the department I'm i some time next year, who knows when I'll be working... or if [face_worried]

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Sup hope everyone has liked the new forum as much as me

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Warm greetings everyone :)

On the squirrel scale, how do you feel? I'm somewhere between 2 and 8.

[​IMG]

5. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016

Princess_Tina likes this.
  6. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I was a 4 at work, but now after dinner I'm a happy 9

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I’m between 5 and 6 today—just kinda bleargh

Emperor Ferus and Princess_Tina like this.
  8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    6. Night class is about to start and I ate too much

Princess_Tina and Emperor Ferus like this.
  9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    What kind of classes are you taking?

Bacon164, Coruscant and Emperor Ferus like this.
  10. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020

forever a 6

:p

Emperor Ferus and Princess_Tina like this.
  11. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    @Healer_Leona After a few years with a liberal arts bachelor, I’m taking an associates program in digital user experience design- which I sometimes liken to as the feng shui of software development- at my local community college. I’m coming into it with a year’s worth of online, at your own pace Interaction Design Foundation classes, and I’m hoping the college’s connection to the local industry is strong when time comes for an internship. Right now I’m taking classes on Design Ideation, UX Tools, Responsive Design, and a general survey course. I’m also coming into it with experience as the web designer behind my non-profit’s website through Squarespace- but it’s not clear to me that that experience will mean anything when it’s time to apply for jobs since I just did it myself without developers or a team. The classes are really fun so far!

I saw somewhere recently that @DarkGingerJedi is in the same field so that’s cool.

12. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Seems pretty neat @Bacon164

Any idea what jobs you want to apply for?

Princess_Tina likes this.
  13. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    What a lovely Treehouse!
    Thank you @Healer_Leona . :)

Ah, what a nice place. Hope you're all doing well. Peace and love.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Very nice new thread here, my compliments to the OP.

Is it OK if we expand the squirrel scale?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most days, I feel like 13. When I was younger, I could be 10. Right now, I'm on the edge of Hurricane Teddy and feeling like 12.

15. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    UX designer. There’s a lot of tech companies here but junior UX designers seem to be pretty saturated, so it’ll be tough.

16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
  17. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Sounds facsinating @Bacon164 and fantastic that enjoying the classes as much.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  18. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    My offspring recently told me that they have never seen The Sound of Music. That's just reminded me to set a movie night up!

19. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I was either 11 or 12 when I first saw it. Saw it again pretty recently.

Juliet316, Princess_Tina and Blobofat like this.
  20. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, I originally was in print - newspapers/magazines - and then when that all died in the late aughts, I really wanted to do games, or something fun and interactive, fusing my concept illustration background, and design skills. Luckily got an internship for a mobile agency, who was willing to take a chance. I had to relearn my entire design-thinking and everything in 3 months, but it was the best decision I ever made. I feel like I got in at the right time, when a lot of the industry was still figuring itself out. (Which allowed me to make way more mistakes)

With your experience as web designer for your non-profits's website ... definitely include it in your online portfolio. Make a case study out of it. In this line of work, we like to see the organized thought process (or an agile framework if you did that in college). The time of showing off 12 of your best design images are gone. Choose 3-4 best projects and go into details about the changes you've contributed, the before and after, your role in the team, how you iterated, wireframes, and dealt with feedback or user testing, and finally if you can...actual results (more page clicks, less user conflicts). Even if it's not a lot, or you don't have much to show off at this stage, present it as best you can in this framework. It'll get attention. I'm tired of seeing super polished Dribbble shots that are super pretty, but basically unusable.

21. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Good morning everyone

Bacon164 and Princess_Tina like this.
  22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I've been up for 5 hours. It's almost lunch time here lol

Bacon164 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Morning/afternoon/evening everyone wherever in the world you are!

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  24. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    There definitely seems to be overlap with print, and it also seems to overlap with many disciplines– that's what I love about the field and its possibilities, even if I'm probably coming into it a little late.

Thanks, it's helpful to see that a Squarespace website can be a legitimate entry– in an ideal portfolio, would my 3-4 'best projects' be specific features added to the site, or would it be best to do one master case study on the non-profit website and feature other work as separate case studies? In my case, this other work doesn't exist yet, but there will be loads of projects in this course load, I think. But it's not client work. The non-profit is weird because it was my entry into web design in general, meaning I had no UX design education when ideating the site and I was learning as I went– I guess there's an element of imposter syndrome tangled in it.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Unless I was creating a site/app from scratch, where I designed the entire flow, start to finish, and made mockups of every page, I probably wouldn't do a case study for an entire site/app. That's just too big. In most cases, I'd sectionalize my work based on features, this way you can really dig into the pieces and show specific results.

For the company I work at now, which is a global non-profit, if I was redoing my portfolio, I might have case studies for 'redesigning account sign up flow' or 'redesigning checkout and cart'. Since those are very different things, even if they all live in one site. At a company, you'd rarely be in charge of 'everything', unless you're product director lol, or you work for a start up and you're the only designer. If you were redesigning the entire site, it wouldn't happen all at once. More likely, you'll be given small areas to work on throughout the year. So showing that you think in small/big picture, is good. Show how your specific features helped the rest of the site, or fit in with the rest of a designed site, that sort of thing.

You can still show off that full site too, but maybe in less detail. Show the look and feel throughout an entire product, the flow, the interactions, how it connects that sorta thing. But...not just as single images that mean nothing.

Bacon164 and Master_Lok like this.