main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Saga - OT The Trial of Darth Vader (AU ROTJ: H/L, Luke, Anakin, Yoda) 3/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ridley Solo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Riveting sequence of dream images apparently shared between Anakin & Leia. I am glad Han voiced his concern & that Leia is going to seek a solution. [face_relieved]

Ridley Solo and AzureAngel2 like this.
  2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I hope her solution is not to cling on to her hate, feeling of abandonment & prejudice.

Merry Christmas all the way from the Netherlands.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  3. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Well, it may not be what you think.... [face_worried]
    @AzureAngel2 Late Merry Christmas to you, too! [:D]

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! I was hoping to finish this before the end of the year, but sadly I'm not even halfway through yet. I'll post what I can today and (possibly) tomorrow, but after that I need to take something of a hiatus. Writing about fictional relationships has to take a back seat to planning a real life wedding. ;) I promise, I'm not lazy...just busy!

Happy New Year! [face_party]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER NINE

“Commander Skywalker, report to Hanger Five. Commander Skywalker, report to Hangar Five.” The voice echoed through the Liberty, emotionless but insistent.

Luke cringed as he gathered his flight gear and all but tumbled out the door, hopping into his boots with a red face. He fumbled for the comm. “This is Commander Skywalker. I’m on my way.” He didn’t wait for the announcer to acknowledge before the comm was shoved back into a pocket. He carried his gear on his arm and was about to head out when he stopped in sudden remembrance, groaned, and palmed open the door. Half a second later, he’d summoned his helmet into his palm and jogged up the hall toward the hangar. This is what I get for oversleeping.

Last night’s Force-enhanced upset had awakened more than one Skywalker. Luke, too, had been startled out of a sound sleep. Any attempts at contacting his sister to find out what was wrong had been stopped short...though her mood remained dark the rest of the evening. As a result, Luke too found it difficult to get back to sleep. He woke exactly fifteen minutes before Rogue Squadron’s next scheduled reconnaissance mission, and only after Artoo-Detoo had let out a wild whistle and shaken him awake with a manipulator arm. Luke was left with minutes to shower, dress, and gulp down a bulb of water. For breakfast he’d shoved a couple of ration bars in their usual place in his flightsuit.

The little droid had since headed for the hangar to prep the X-Wing for takeoff. No doubt he was already plugged into the astromech socket, warbling with impatience. Luke could only imagine what the rest of the Rogues thought of his tardiness.

Even as he shrugged on his flak vest and dodged his fellow Rebels, Luke’s mind wandered back to his sister. What was wrong? Had she had another nightmare? A vision?

Luke frowned. Whatever it was, it must have been something very disturbing to lead to the summary closing of her mind. What worried him was the anger that followed...and the sharp resistance to any help or comfort. What’s going on with her?

Maybe it was this concern that led him to narrowly avoid running into Leia as she emerged from a room with something in her hands. He skidded to a stop, while at the same moment she jumped aside.

“Oh...Luke, slow down.” Equal parts annoyed and concerned, Leia’s first reaction to seeing her brother was to scold him.

“Sorry. Need to get to the hangar-” His voice faded away as he noticed Leia was carrying a pair of clear red prescription bottles in her hand…and standing outside the infirmary. Concern doubled. What happened? “Are you all right?”

“Fine,” said Leia, frowning and covering the labels on the bottles. Makeup didn’t hide the redness in her eyes. “Just tired.”

“I kind of figured.” Luke lowered his voice. “What happened last night? Was it a vision, or-”

“Nothing. Just a bad dream.”

“I thought so. That’s why I was trying to talk to you. Why didn’t you let me?”

Leia stepped back, frowning. “I didn’t feel like it, that’s why. Can’t I have some privacy?”

Luke cringed and showed his palms. “Okay, okay. I just want to help.” He glanced at the Infirmary entrance and debated about asking more questions when Leia was already so touchy.

Leia followed his gaze, then sighed. “Well, you’ve got company. Han’s been pushing me to see a medic about these nightmares.”

So that’s it. Luke nodded, knowing medicine wasn’t going to help when the problem was Force-related. “So, they gave you something for it?”

Leia glanced at the bottles with a sour face. “Sleeping pills and anti-anxiety meds. They say it’s stress.” Even her tone suggested she didn’t believe in that diagnosis.

Luke grimaced. Things must have been bad if Leia was ready to resort to drugs. “That’s a fair assessment, without the Force involved. But-”

Leia took another step back. “No. Luke...I appreciate you trying to help, but this is my problem. Let me deal with it in my own way, all right?”

Any further protest died on his lips with another insistent announcement over the intercom. “Commander Skywalker, report to Hangar Five at once.” Blast it. Luke closed his eyes in disappointment.

“You’re late,” remarked Leia, nodding down the hall. “Go on.”

What choice do I have? Luke looked over his shoulder and began backing away. “We’ll be gone all day-”

Leia nodded with impatience. “I know. I approved this mission, remember?”

“Commander Skywalker, please report to Hangar Five immediately,” urged the intercom.

“If you need to talk when I get back-”

“Don’t worry about it, Commander. Now, get going!”

Commander. Now I know she’s upset, and I can’t even find out why. Shoulders falling in disappointment, there was nothing else Luke could do but nod and give a ragged salute with his helmet. “Yes, ma’am.” And he turned to jog back up the hall. Leia’s final admonition to be careful rang in his ears as he reached the turbolift. I’ll be careful. May the Force be with you.

The image of his sister with those pills stayed with the young Jedi all through his trip to the hangar, so much so that he hardly heard the questions of his men, none of which he could answer through the ration bar he’d shoved into his mouth.

“Hey Mr. Ration Bar, what gives? Your droid was in here before you,” cracked Janson from his cockpit.

“That’s Commander Ration Bar to you, Lieutenant,” frowned Wedge. “You all right, Luke?”

“Yeah. Sorry I'm late, boys.” Luke hiked the ladder and swung into the cockpit, pleased to find the ship all ready to go. He smiled over his shoulder at Artoo as gloves and helmet were yanked on. “Thanks, buddy.” The canopy eased shut. Luke was forced to push his concern for his sister to the back of his mind to focus on the mission at hand and switched channels. “Liberty, this is Commander Skywalker. Rogue Squadron requesting permission for departure.”

With as much as everything involved with the Force had annoyed her- even Luke -Leia followed through on her promise and cleared her evening for that dinner date with Han. She was as curious about his cooking as she was eager to spend time with him.

Han was nowhere to be seen upon arrival at the Falcon, and for a minute she wondered if she’d been stood up. Then a muffled voice emerged from the rear hold, along with a few curses. “C’mon in!” hollered Han. “Be out in a second!”

What’s he up to? Wondered Leia as she headed for the main hold. Something certainly smelled good, and she found herself wondering how Han had managed without a galley on board. Upon rounding the corner, she stopped and let her mouth hang open. What in the worlds?

The main hold had been cleaned- at least as much as was possible, given the years of ground-in grime -and the game table had been covered in a white cloth. Settings for two competed for space with several serving bowls and platters, covered with a large napkin. Delicious smells wafted out from the plates and Leia found her mouth watering as Han hurried into the hold.

Leia’s surprise redoubled upon seeing her date. Han was dressed in a very stiff, formal outfit in navy blue, with the Corellian blood stripe on his trousers. His boots were polished, his hair was combed, and unless Leia missed her guess, she smelled something pleasant and masculine. He didn't put on cologne, did he? On top of all this, he seemed unaccountably nervous.

“S’all ready,” said Han, fiddling uncomfortably with his collar. He gestured to the bench. “After you.”

"You should have told me you were dressing up," Leia remarked as she sat down. “I would have brought a holocam.” This earned an embarrassed smile from Han. His dislike of formalwear was well known.

“Say the word, and I’ll get rid of it.” The waggling of his eyebrows got his point across.

“Scoundrel.” Leia snorted before turning her attention back to her plate. The smell wafting up to her seemed so familiar. She gasped when, at Han’s urging, she lifted the napkin and recognized the dish.

It was vonder and cabb, an Alderaanian specialty. Vonder was a mixture of chopped meat and root vegetables made into a stew and poured over a small mound of pickled cabb, a dark purple leafy vegetable that had grown well in the mountain meadows. On the side was a little plate with several tiny delicate pastries with a familiar red filling. Alberries! Leia's eyes grew misty as she remembered going alberry picking when she was four years old. Her face and hands were stained red for a week with the juice. But alberries had been native to and only grown on Alderaan. "Those aren't...how did you...?" Leia was so overwhelmed she didn't know what to say.

Han looked apologetic as he tucked his napkin into his collar. "They're not real alberries, but the cook on the Liberty found a way to make fenberries taste almost the same. Hope it worked. He made the tarts...I'm not too good with dough," he admitted.

Wistfully Leia shook her head and covered her mouth with her palm. How did he manage?

"Y’ ok? I didn't upset you, did I?" Han cringed at the thought he had made the woman he loved homesick.

"No, I...I don't know what to say."

"You're welcome. Go ahead and dig in; I want to make sure I got this stuff right."

Leia had to smile as she picked up a fork and took a casual bite. The meat was different than the native herd beast, but it had been prepared and seasoned properly. The red cabb was a delightfully tart counterpoint to the savory stew. After dinner came the little turnovers. The fruit wasn't exactly like alberries- nothing was -but it came fairly close. Han didn't care for his cabb and barely took two bites of his turnovers, but relief was evident seeing how much Leia enjoyed the meal.

As dinner conversation wore on, Han’s nerves continued to grow. He kept trying to loosen his collar. Finally he cleared his throat. "Leia, y'know, there's been somethin' I've been meanin' to ask ya." The man sighed, staring at his hands. "I used to think a princess and a guy like me didn't have a chance."

Leia raised her eyebrows with humor. "It didn't. But you're the one who's always saying to never tell you the odds."

Han's lopsided grin returned for a moment. "I dunno how you put up with me."

Leia laughed. "Sometimes I don't, either..." she sobered and reached across the table to his hand. "I love you. You can be a scoundrel...but I love you."

Han's smile softened. "I know. I love you. Matter of fact, I can't really see my life without you...kinda hope you feel the same way."

Leia nodded, but her smile was cautious. Yes, she loved him. Yes, he was the only man she could see herself with for the rest of her life, but-

Han cleared his throat and stood up, fishing around in each of his pockets. "Ain't got much to offer...but…." Clumsily he pulled something out of his pocket and sat back down. His fingers opened to reveal a tiny silver-toned ring with an equally small, polished stone in the center.

Leia froze in her seat. Something rang familiar about this stone. A simultaneous thrill of both fear and hope shot through her body from crown to soles, and her heart raced. "Is that what I think it is?”

"Well...it's an engagement ring," stated Han, his smile starting to fade. Leia looked as if she might cry. Dammit, not again. “Whassa matter?”

Leia bit her lip. “I know that stone. I’ve seen it more times than I can remember...but it couldn’t be an Alderaanian turquoise, could it?”

Han gave a slow, almost embarrassed nod. “Uh...yeah. Look, I know it’s tiny, but-”

“Han, I couldn’t care less about the size,” she blurted, taking his hand. “I just didn’t think there were any left. How in the galaxy did you find it?”

“Luck, I guess. Real good luck. Actually got it a while back. Traded a few parts for it on one of those runs Chewie and I did after Yavin, then...kinda forgot about it. Got lost or something. Anyway, couple weeks ago it turned up as I was lookin’ for some power cells, and, well...guess it made me think of you.” Han’s expression was sheepish, but sincere. “Got one a’ the techs to make a ring, ‘an...that’s about it.” He looked at her hopefully.

“Oh, Han...it’s beautiful,” Leia said softly with stinging eyes. “That’s one of the sweetest gestures I’ve ever heard of.”

Han’s smile returned and he took Leia’s chin in his hands. “For the best woman in the galaxy? You’re worth it.” Anxiously he pulled back. “So...a’right, look. Y’know I’m not a guy who’s good with words, or talkin’ about feelin’s, or anything like that. But ‘ya know how I feel. Been thinkin’ ‘bout this for months, and it took be ‘bout that long to get my nerve up. So...would ya...would ya ever consider gettin’ married?”

Leia once more bit her lip, torn between laughing with joy or shedding fresh tears. “I...” the latter won out, and she leaned over to wrap her arms around him.

Han gave a nervous, confused little laugh. “H-hey, wha…? Aw, c’mere.” He returned the embrace and held the woman close, wondering why the unemotional Leia was suddenly crying over the galaxy’s most basic engagement ring. It was a struggle just to hold her and say nothing, as he wasn’t sure how to interpret a reaction like this. He waited until Leia had stopped crying before speaking. “So, uh...is that a yes?”

Leia sighed as she pulled back to find his eyes. “Han, you know I love you more than any man alive, and I’m incredibly touched by everything you’ve done tonight. But...before I answer, there’s something I need to know.”

At the word ‘but’, Han’s shoulders fell and his heart began to sink. “Well...what else could ya need to know?”

The former Princess took a deep breath before answering. “When I had the miscarriage, I could see the sadness and hurt in your eyes. Are you going to want children someday?”

Han blinked. Even he could see by Leia’s expression this was not an invitation. “Never somethin’ I thought about ‘till then, but...yeah.” He suppressed a wince at seeing her reaction. “So you don’t, huh?”

Leia gave a helpless shrug. “I used to think I did. I thought someday, when the war was over, I might be willing to settle down and try raising a child with you. Now...” she shook her head. “I don’t know if I can.”

The smuggler was taken aback at the turn this conversation had taken. “How come?”

“I can’t escape from my lineage. Even if I spent the rest of my life ignoring the Force, it would still be in my blood.” Leia’s expression turned bitter. “And if Luke and I can inherit it, so could the next generation...and there’s no guarantee it would be the good side.”

“What?” A glowrod suddenly clicked on in Han’s head. She’s afraid of having another Vader. He scoffed at the idea. “C’mon. You’re the one who argued with the Council about bein’ able to trust Luke. Evil ain’t genetic. You ain’t got a bit of it, and neither does Luke. No way any kids you had would have any a’ that.”

“You don’t know that,” blurted Leia, fear entering her eyes. “As long as the Force is there, there’s a chance of turning to the Dark Side. I’m not willing to take that risk.”

“So...you gonna let that keep ‘ya from gettin’ married? More to it than just havin’ kids.”

“I know. I just want to make sure you understand what that means, and that you’re all right with it. I don’t want you holding back on any dreams you might have because of me.”

Han’s mouth hung open. This is not how I thought the evening was going to go. He shook his head. “Y’ don’t think for a minute I’d want to even look at anybody else just ‘cause you don’t want kids. Thought ya knew how much I loved you.” There was hurt written in his eyes.

Leia winced. “I do-”

Han pushed to his feet. “Then why ‘ya askin’ these kinda questions, huh? I love you, you love me, so...what’s to think about? Ya don’t want kids, we won’t have kids.”

He’s not listening. “Han, it’s a little more complicated than that.”

The man glared. “No. No, you’re the one who’s makin’ it complicated. Always somethin’ gettin’ between us, ain’t there? First it’s the Rebellion. Then it’s this whole Vader thing. Then, suddenly, you gotta be a Jedi, too? How much more you think you gotta take on?”

Leia rose. “I don’t have any choice! Do you think I want to be in five different places at once? Do you think I like not being about to spend time with you?”

“Ya gotta funny way a’ showin’ it!”

“Oh, and you think losing your temper is helping?”

“The only thing…!” Han froze and closed his eyes, trembling and trying not to let the tears he was fighting show. He lowered his voice and found Leia’s eyes. “Only thing I’m losin’ right now is you. Look, I get it. You’re scared. Feel like you gotta do everythin’ at once ‘cause nobody else is. But someday, Sweetheart, you’re gonna figure out ya’ can’t do all that alone. I been tryin’ to help ya, but...guess you’re just too damn independent to see it.” And he wheeled about, aggressively undoing his collar and formal jacket. In the process he realized he was still holding the ring. Han paused for a second, a storm of emotions passing over his face, before slapping it on the table in front of Leia and stalking off down the hall toward the cockpit.

Leia grimaced, equally aggravated at Han and herself. Maybe I am being foolish, but he just doesn’t understand! She pushed to her feet and marched after him. “Han, wait...Han!” The hiss of the shutting cockpit door only raised her annoyance. “Han!” Midway down the hall she heard the click of the lock. So now he’s pouting. He won’t even try to listen. In anger, she groaned and wheeled about, stomping away to leave this blasted ship and its’ bullheaded owner behind.

With every step her anger began twisting into guilt. Upon passing the ring she paused to pick it up and run her finger over the stone. It was simply made, but the greatest gesture of love any man had ever shown...the only piece of her homeworld she had left, besides memories. And I just pushed him away. Fresh tears filled her eyes as she set the ring back on the table. She walked, and then ran out of the Falcon.

The tears didn’t fall until she was in the privacy of her quarters.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I'm actually speechless. That doesn't happen often. Once in a very blue moon. =D= =D=

AzureAngel2 and Ridley Solo like this.
  5. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Wow, what a cliffy for New Year's Eve!!!

Kind hugs from the CZ Republic!

And all the best for wedding planning.

6. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    Whew, it's been a long month....

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Wow. I hope that's the good kind of speechless... [face_praying]

@AzureAngel2 Hugs back! [:D]And thank you! It's going pretty well so far, but there's still a LOT to do in the next eight and a half months....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CHAPTER TEN

Personal conflict did nothing to slow the steady march of the Rebel Alliance toward its latest goal; re-taking Coruscant. Intelligence gathered by Han and Luke in particular was put to good use during the planning stage. The floor plans, shift changes for guards, and access codes provided by Anakin proved absolutely invaluable. While some things had been changed, most of the information had already been tested for veracity. The leaders of the Alliance asked to thank Anakin in some way.

Anakin declined. He had worked out a schedule for himself in the little cell that he was quite used to. In the mornings before breakfast, he performed a calisthenics routine followed by meditation. After breakfast, he practiced telekinesis and often rearranged what little furniture was in his cell. He had regained enough mental strength to take the entire cot apart, turn every piece 360 degrees, and then put it back together, all while it was floating in the air.

After lunch, depending on whether or not Luke visited, there was a scheduled checkup, or an Alliance official came to speak with him, Anakin practiced endurance. Sometimes he would get into a plank position and lock his elbows to see how long he could hold himself up. Sometimes he simply performed a stretch for several extra minutes.

Dinner was usually the most enjoyable meal of the day. Anakin's stomach tolerated the stronger proteins well, and his eating habits were more or less normal by then. Even prison food was ten times better than Med-Paste. The one thing his digestive system did not tolerate well was legumes. They left him painfully bloated.

Apart from Luke's visits, after dinner was Anakin's favorite part of the day. That was when he used the small set of tools Luke had given him to tinker with anything he could get his hands on. He had already disassembled and reassembled his right arm several times.

Part of Anakin wanted to be involved, to be actively going against the Emperor's forces. While he could never again call himself a Jedi, there were ways in which he could help. He had over twenty-six years of combat experience as a pilot and knew Imperial formations and attack patterns better than anyone alive.

But he was still a prisoner. The Rebellion could not be expected to give the most notorious political prisoner in their history control of a fighter. The Battle of Endor had already proven that point. His body might not even be able to handle the physical strain anymore...as his medic, Lt. Sal, regularly pointed out.

Losing his physical prowess was a small price to pay. I am free from the Dark Side, he told himself during meditation. My children are near and I have a good relationship with my son. I am safe and well-treated. Even that is more than I deserve.

His children were all that worried him. Leia’s emotions still hindered her progress. The more she resisted the Force, the less confident Luke became. In the last two weeks he had confided that Leia’s training had reached a standstill because of some argument she’d had with Han. Technically that was none of Anakin’s business- and he was certain his daughter would be furious if she knew what Luke confessed -but he could well relate to the problems that romance posed to Jedi training, Order or no Order. His advice to Luke was to back off...and not just with Leia’s training.

Luke had been dealing with his grief at Yoda’s passing and inadequacy in training his sister by throwing himself into flying more missions than he probably should have. While the medical droid had since removed the splint and Luke didn’t seem to be having any further problems, something about the situation just didn’t feel right. Anakin strongly suspected there was more going on with Luke’s leg than could be seen with a scanner. As such he regularly warned Luke to slow down.

These warnings seemed to be falling on deaf ears. The former Jedi could only hope that his feelings were nothing more than those of an overprotective father.

The conference room was packed. Every ranking officer from Major to Admiral was present. Every available seat was taken, so roughly half a dozen men and women were forced to stand. At one end of the table sat Admiral Ackbar, Mon Mothma, General Madine, and General Reikeen in a semi-circle. At the other end sat Leia, Major Derlin, Colonel Howen, and Luke. Though he wasn’t a ranking officer, the Alliance still valued his insight. Han had been offered a seat next to Leia but chose to stand. The two of them hadn’t spoken more than half a dozen words to each other since the botched proposal, now nearly a month in the past.

"If everyone is here, I think we should begin," rasped Admiral Ackbar. "Princess, if you will?"

"Thank you, Admiral." Leia surveyed the group around her with nerves that barely showed past her serious demeanor. "First of all, I wanted to thank you all for coming. It isn't easy to get all of the Alliance officers together in one place, and I appreciate your dedication." She took a deep breath. "As you all know, the destruction of the second Death Star dealt a heavy blow to the Empire. Their forces are now scattered throughout the galaxy. Thanks to our constant minor ambushes and attacks, they're on edge. Even the Emperor is on the run. Our movement is gaining much ground and there are more star systems rallying to our cause every week." Her rising smile faded. "But the Empire is still in control of the majority of the galaxy. In order for our victory to be complete, there is one system that needs to be taken...the capital, Coruscant itself."

Murmurs of agreement and approval rippled across the room. Han pulled his hands from his pockets and crossed his arms. Here we go. He glanced at Luke, who seemed just a little tense. Luke met his eye and gave a slight nod.

Leia continued. "Obviously taking Coruscant is not going to be easy. It's the center of Imperial control and has twice as many defenses as any other Imperial world. For the last six months, we have been gathering as much intelligence as we can, as well as re-grouping our own forces, which scattered after the Battle of Endor. But now, the time has come." Leia's voice rose with determination. "The Alliance is now stronger than it's ever been. It's time we send a final message to the Empire by taking control of Coruscant. It's time we put an end to this war and begin to re-build the Republic as it once was." She nodded across the table. "For specifics, I turn the floor over to General Madine."

Madine nodded back to Leia. "Thank you, Princess. Working with the intelligence provided to us by Commander Skywalker and...Anakin,” here he paused and blinked as if the idea still startled him, “we've been able to determine the best way into the Imperial Palace." He pulled up a holo of the palace and turned to Luke. "Commander Skywalker, do you have an estimate of the number of guards surrounding the palace?"

Luke rose to his feet to indicate each point of interest. "On the outside there appeared to be about ten guards per entrance. With two outer gates and four entry points, that makes a total of sixty on the outside. Given the intel, we should expect a bare minimum of six guards per floor on the interior. That's not counting the garrison of troopers spread around the entire complex."

Han cringed and glanced around the room to gauge reactions. That's an awful lot of bodies to cut through.

Madine lifted his eyebrows. "And on what floor is the control room?"

"Level Zero; the basement."

"And has Anakin said if the number of guards varies as to whether or not the Emperor is present?"

"Yes. He says that on the exterior, the number of guards is the same, but on the interior, the number can rise between two and three times when Palpatine is around."

"Thank you, Commander Skywalker." General Madine turned to face the rest of the assembly. "Between myself and the leading strategists of the Alliance, we've determined two possible courses of action for taking the Imperial Palace." He manipulated the hologram to enhance the control room. "The first is the technological approach. We appoint a team of slicers to hack into the automated security systems and disable all sensors and alarms. Then, under cover of darkness, our Y-Wings make a bombing run to the surrounding area to draw the attention as far away from the palace as possible. With the guards occupied, a stealth entry team then gains access to the building itself and clears out as many Imperials as they can from the inside out. We will then have a strong defensible position within the city."

The room rumbled with approval. Both seemed to be solid plans.

Madine changed the layout of the hologram. Instead of focusing on the palace, it showed the palace as a tiny illuminated building amid the crowded surface of Coruscant. "The second plan is more direct. We bombard the Palace itself, using both X-Wings and Y-Wings to inflict severe damage to the complex. Once the area is in disarray, our ground troops move in and either capture or finish off what remains of the Imperial Guard. Then, assuming the building is still structurally sound, we move in and use it as we have intended. If not, we use one of the neighboring buildings."

Han gave a low whistle, gaining attention from the others. He cleared his throat. "So, what you're sayin' is, either we wait around who-knows-how long for the slicers to do their job and then move in, or we go in, guns blazin', and hope their numbers ain’t any bigger’n we thought?"

Madine cringed. "Obviously there are disadvantages to both of these plans. With the first, as General Solo has indicated, time is an issue. The Imperial security systems are among the most heavily fortified in the galaxy. Slicing into their computers could take weeks, even with a slicer who knows their way around. And a direct attack, even if it is carried out to the letter, involves the risk of heavy casualties on both sides."

Leia was disturbed. "What about civilian casualties? What are your estimates there?"

"Our first priority in all of this is of course to keep them to a minimum. Unfortunately, when it comes to overthrowing a corrupt government, there are always civilian losses. There's no way to give an estimate." Madine blew out a short breath. "When it comes to those on the ground, the first plan carries the least amount of risk."

"Then patience might be a better course of action," said Leia. When several others protested, she shook her head. "I know how you feel about waiting. The Empire has been in control for far too long already, and I'm as eager to see them done away with as you are. I also know that the first plan puts our fighters at the most risk, as they'll be the ones waiting for the go-ahead from our slicers. But we can't very well hope to exact a coup unless we have the support of the people. It's them we're fighting for...their freedom."

"Right. The last thing we want to do is put them in unnecessary danger," agreed Luke.

"I think everyone can agree on this," interjected Mon Mothma. "The question is, how?"

"I'm sure we'll come up with a solution soon." Luke squirmed in his seat. "Unfortunately, the fighters just can't pick any old spot and hang out there for very long. They only have consumables for about a week."

"I got an idea," offered Han, his hazel eyes lighting up.

Admiral Ackbar turned to him with interest. "What do you suggest, General Solo?"

Han suddenly found that all eyes were on him. He shifted his weight uncomfortably and cleared his throat. "Well...Coruscant's moon is empty, right?"

Mon Mothma nodded cautiously. "As far as habitation is concerned, yes. Several thousand years ago, colonization was attempted, but the lack of both a breathable atmosphere and sufficient gravity prevented such a thing. All that remains are a few abandoned buildings and several unmanned weapon platforms that happen to still be in operation."

The former smuggler continued as if he hadn't heard about the weapons. "But the moon swings in one of those orbits where only one side faces the planet all the time...geo-something…"

"Geosynchronous," provided Leia.

Han nodded, throwing Leia a surprised glance. "Yeah. Thanks. Anyway, I figure set aside one, maybe two carriers, and stuff as many fighters in there as we can. They go in first and land on the backside of the moon. That way they can stay close, but undetected. So when the time comes, they just zip planetside and do their stuff." He spoke as if it would be as easy as throwing a handful of frozen nerf steaks into the heating unit and thawing them out.

Madine exchanged glances with Ackbar and a few others. "What about the weapons platforms? The Empire uses those as the first line of planetary defense."

Han shrugged. "Rogue Squadron blows 'em. That's what you were planning on anyway, right?"

"Yes, but not in the same time frame you're talking about," admitted Madine with a frown.

"The Empire is going to know when their first line of defense has been destroyed. Exactly how do you plan on keeping that from them for what could be an extended period of time?" Leia wanted to know.

"If they're unmanned, that means they're run by computer, right? Just slice into the controls first and send an 'all clear' message any time the Empire wants a report."

"If you're going to go that far, then why destroy the weapons systems? Why not keep them intact and use them for our own purposes?" Admiral Ackbar inquired.

"So we can get out with our butts intact in case this whole thing goes to hell," Han answered with a grimace.

The Alliance leaders seemed to sigh and unison and think about it. It was ambitious...crazy, even. No one had ever destroyed the lunar defense systems. But, if it worked, it would allow for the smallest number of casualties. If the early stages failed, the Rebels could still escape and live to fight another day.

Of course, if none of this worked, it was more or less a one-shot deal. Once the bombing run of the capital took place, the Rebellion was committed. Getting away after that would be deadly for all involved. It might be possible for enough Rebels to escape and re-organize, but that could take years.

Finally Madine looked around the room and met the eyes of everyone else. "Well, if there are no objections, I'm going to recommend we go through with General Solo's plan."

Not a single Rebel spoke. Their expressions ran the gamut from worried, to resigned, to optimistic, to resolute.

"All right. It's settled, then," said Mon Mothma.

Leia threw a single glance toward Han to gauge his expression. She expected him to look smug that his idea had been agreed to. She was pleasantly surprised to see him looking embarrassed...even nervous. Quickly she tore her gaze away to address the room. "Very well. All we need now are volunteers."

Hands went up all over the room. When Leia saw Han’s in the mix, further guilt at rejecting his proposal- and phrasing it so poorly -assaulted her. This redoubled when Han found her eyes. There was still hurt in them...but so too was a determination not to let what had happened interfere with duty. When Leia moistened her lips, Han turned away.

That’s it, she decided as preliminary assignments were handed out. As soon as we’re out of here, I have to speak with him.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I always enjoy Anakin's POV. I'm glad his knowledge helped in strategizing. His concerns about Luke and Leia both are well-founded I think. One is working too hard and the other is avoiding things related to Jedi training. [face_thinking]

The strategy planning was interesting and I applaud Han's plan -- it seems to take the best of both ideas: stealth and efficiency with the least amount of civilian losses.

I am very happy Leia is determined to clear the air. Before a risky mission you don't need the burden of what I shouldn't've and should've said before.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  8. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you! I like writing from Anakin's POV. And...exactly right about Leia. Wait till you see what happens next! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CHAPTER ELEVEN

Han wasn’t difficult to track down. He was back in the hangar working on the Falcon. Half of his life seemed dedicated to that ship, and when he was trying to keep his mind off an impending battle- or arguments -he blew off steam by tinkering with her whether she needed it or not...and she usually did.

Leia felt unaccountably nervous as she edged her way around the ship, quietly dodging techs and other pilots on the way. It wasn’t that she had any sort of ego that would be damaged by apology...far from it. Her main concern was how Han was going to interpret it.

As it turned out the former smuggler was working on something in one of the landing gear bays. He either didn’t see Leia approach or was purposely ignoring her.

Leia moistened her lips. “Han?”

Han froze in mid-torque. His expression was cautious as he turned to her. “Yes, Your Highness?”

Leia cringed at his reaction. “Can we talk for a minute?”

The hurt and caution was still evident on Han’s face even as he buried himself in the open panel. “Ya sure ya want to?”

She nodded. “Yes.” Deep breath. “Han, I owe you an apology.”

“Yeah. That makes two of us.”

“Well then, may I go first?”

A pause. “Yeah. But whaddya got to be sorry ‘bout? Nothin’ wrong with speakin’ your mind. Ya do that anyway.”

Leia grimaced. “Yes, but in doing so I hurt you. You’re right. I am taking on too much, and neglecting you in the process. I put conditions on your proposal, and for that, I’m very, very sorry.”

Han sighed heavily and let the arm with the hydrospanner drop as he turned to face her. “Yeah, well, I didn’t exactly handle it the right way. There ain’t nothin’ wrong with not wantin’ kids. That’s your choice, and I’m not gonna take it away from ya.”

“I’m afraid I didn’t phrase that very well, either.” She stared at her hands for a moment before looking up. “I never meant to hurt you. But this last month I see just how much it did.” Leia shook her head. “If I could take back everything I said to you that night, I would….in a heartbeat. Will you forgive me?”

“Yeah. Will you?” asked Han, peering sheepishly out from under his eyebrows.

“Of course.”

Han looked down again, playing with the tool in his hands. Then he looked up and opened his arms in invitation.

Willingly Leia walked into them, shuddering in relief as those strong arms wrapped around her. In return she felt the tension that had no doubt been in Han’s shoulders for weeks ease. “I’m sorry,” she murmured into his chest again.

“Sweetheart, I’m sorry, too. But it’s over now, ‘kay?” Han cupped his hand behind Leia’s head, slowly stroking her hair. “Y’know, we might fight, but nothin’s gonna stop me from lovin’ you more’n anybody in the galaxy.”

“Same here,” smiled Leia. Then she bit her lip. “Is it too late to say yes?”

“What?”

“To your proposal. I never gave you an answer, and you deserve one. And my answer is yes.”

Han froze for a second, then pulled back to look at Leia with hazel eyes almost afraid to hope. “What, really?” When she nodded, he gave a nervous laugh. “Sure ya can put up with a stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder like me?”

Leia met his gaze with brows raised. “Only if you can put up with an opinionated, overly zealous former Princess like me.”

“Every day.” Han broke into a grin borne of equal parts relief and joy, and wasted no time bringing her into another warm hug. It was abrupt, however, as soon he’d pulled back to check every single pocket he had. Finally, in the bottom front vest pocket, he found was he was looking for and slipped the ring on Leia’s finger. “There. Now it‘s official.”

Leia smiled, eyes damp, and brought him to her in a long, hard kiss.

Or at least, it would have been long, had not the whoops, whistles, and applause of the nearby Rogue Squadron interrupted.

Han looked up and glowered. “Hey! Can’t a guy get engaged in peace?”

Leia grimaced, trying to hide her own amusement behind crimson cheeks. “Well, this isn’t exactly a private location,” she reminded quietly.

Han just pursed his lips in reply as he released her.

“While I appreciate your enthusiasm, gentlemen, there is work to be done,” reminded Leia.

Wedge, Hobbie, and a newer recruit named Corran Horn all snapped to attention and saluted. “Yes, ma’am,” they said in unison. The group began to dissipate….until Luke walked up to them from across the hangar.

“Hey, what’s going on over here?” he wanted to know.

“Ah, Boss, ya missed it!” crowed Janson in mock disappointment. “Solo just got engaged. Ow!” The young man yelped and turned to Wedge, who had elbowed him. “What’d I do?”

“One of these days, Janson, you’re going to learn to keep that big mouth of yours shut,” Wedge sighed, shaking his head. “Sorry, Luke...Princess...General.” And he hauled his wingman off by the back of his flak vest.

Han rolled his eyes, groaned, and pinched the bridge of his nose. Leia looked very embarrassed. Meanwhile Luke barely had time to process the information and blink. “Really?”

Leia walked up to her brother, blushing as she nodded. “While that isn’t the way I’d have preferred you find out...yes.” She held up her left hand for inspection. “It’s true.”

After spending a bit more time processing the news, Luke’s brows shot up. “Congratulations.” He broke into a smile and offered his sister a hug and Han a handshake.

While unsure about the timing of all this- and how it would affect Leia’s training -he was genuinely happy for them. At least they had decided to bury the hatchet. It was never good to have an argument on your mind when the coming mission had lives dependent on it.

"Father?"

"Good to see you, son." Anakin smiled, looking up from the work he’d been doing on one of his mechanical legs. He didn’t miss the startled look Luke was giving him. Belatedly he realized most people would find it unnerving to see a foot, calf, and shin sitting in pieces on a cot, even if it was basically droid parts. He waved his son inside. “Nothing to worry about. Strictly mechanical.”

Luke approached, equally curious and concerned. “Are you all right?”

Anakin nodded. “Just seeing if I can fix this old thing...” He unplugged a connection and peered into the joint, laid open like a broken droid.

Luke’s eyes roamed over the parts. “What’s the problem?”

“Oh, the motor’s out of alignment again. It’s happened before, but usually only after something strenuous. I supposed it’s just old, like the rest of me.” Anakin pursed his lips.

“Should I get a medic?”

“No need. As I said, the problem is strictly mechanical, and I’ve repaired it before.”

“Can I help, then?”

"Thank you, Luke.” Anakin broke into a fond smile. “Now, is there a number five hex wrench in that kit?"

Luke put the tool into his father's hand with his own smile. As both had something of a mechanical aptitude, working together on fixing things had great potential for bonding.

Anakin squinted as he loosened the next tiny bolt. "So, Luke. What brings you here this afternoon?"

Luke glanced at his father. "Oh. I just wanted to update you; the rest of the fleet has arrived, and the slicers have checked in. We'll be setting course for Coruscant in a few hours."

Anakin paused as the next bolt came out of his knee joint. It had been a mere week since Luke had informed him of the ambitious plan to take Coruscant, starting with the Imperial Palace. Anakin approved, but two things troubled him. The first was the fact that the entire force of Rebels would be gathered in one spot and therefore be easier to wipe out.

His other worry was Palpatine. He had full confidence in Luke's abilities, but still felt his son was not ready to face the cowled monster, especially not alone. Leia worried Anakin with her degree of anger and he feared more for her soul than for her life, though both were in grave danger.

"How is Leia faring with her training?" He asked quietly.

Luke clamped his lips together. Leia had all but forbid him to tell their father about her engagement, and it wasn’t an easy secret to keep. “She’s...better now that her argument with Han is over,” he said carefully, ”but...it’s still so easy for her to get frustrated. Either she’s too focused on the details to see the big picture, or too easily distracted. Too often, that frustration becomes anger. I worry about her."

Anakin nodded, his heart aching for his daughter. She has only to look to me to see what a danger the Dark Side is. "As do I. I wish she would let me speak to her. I understand all too well what an addiction anger can become...especially when it augments one's strength." He loosened the next bolt and laid it on the table. "How is she dealing with the organization of the troops?"

Luke managed a half smile. "About as well as she usually does. Leadership has always come easily to her."

"I don't doubt it," replied Anakin, giving a half-smile of his own. "A trait she no doubt inherited from your mother." The final bolt in his knee was loosened. “There we are.”

Luke winced despite himself as they found themselves staring down at the miniaturized servomotor in the knee.

Anakin went about the whole thing rather casually, inspecting his leg as if it was any other piece of machinery. Then he frowned and turned back to Luke. "When will the fleet depart?"

"Another day or so," answered Luke. He found himself fascinated with the workings of the leg. Older technology was no stranger to him, as most of the Alliance's equipment was either well-used or rebuilt from scrap. It was still very interesting to be looking over twenty years into the past. The motors seemed bigger than they needed to be. "Rogue Squadron leaves first, and then the convoy of slicers."

"I see." Anakin, after removing the outer panels, took out the servomotor and peered at it. A cog was loose, making it grind against the others and slow down the response time. Quickly he went about taking the motor apart. Worry nagged at him as he thought of Luke's role in the coming assault. "Will you be flying the lead?"

Luke shrugged. "Not much choice. As leader of Rogue Squadron, it's my responsibility."

Anakin put down the motor to rest his hand on Luke's shoulder, no small amount of pride in his voice. "A responsibility you take very seriously, I see. Only be careful your ego does not get in the way."

Luke nodded. "I will."

Anakin smiled a bit more and turned his attention back to the motor. "And your friend Solo...will he be participating in this?"

"Yup. He and Chewie are flying cover for us in the Falcon."

"And what will Leia's role be?"

"She'll be on the ground with the troops after the security systems have been sliced."

Anakin slowly shook his head. Just like her mother...always in the thick of things. "Any word yet on Palpatine's whereabouts?"

Luke cringed. "No. The channels are so full of static that it's difficult to tell how much is actually worth something and how much is idle chatter." He caught Anakin's look of worry and put a hand on his father's shoulder. "I'll look out for my sister. I promise."

Anakin nodded, patting Luke's arm. "I know you will." He turned back to the motor assembly and kept fiddling with it. With a pop, the cog moved back into place. “That ought to do the trick.” A test connection with the power source proved his point. The cog moved smoothly. Anakin gave a decisive nod. “Good. Luke, would you mind helping me put myself back together?”

Luke cracked a smile in spite of himself and nodded. “Of course.” As they worked, he found himself staring at his father in awe. Even after all he had gone through, the utter hell that Anakin had been living for over twenty years, somehow he still had a sense of humor.

The knowledge that fate was splitting them apart so soon after their commitment was not lost on Han and Leia, and as a result the couple spent almost every moment together. Days saw many quick meetings with little more than a hello and a kiss, and evenings were spent savoring every second, often in Leia’s quarters with Threepio shut down and the door locked.

And then it was the final evening before the fleet was to split up. The lights had been shut off and the two of them lay together. Contented silence had since overtaken the couple and all that could be heard was quiet breathing. Han was on his back with one arm behind his head while Leia lay half next to and half on top of him, her head pillowed on his chest with a sea of brown hair covering him like a blanket. She looked asleep.

Han hoped this was the case. If anybody needed extra sleep, it was Leia. Those blasted nightmares and stress about that Force stuff had been disturbing her too long, even with the sleeping pills she'd been taking. He tried not to let his chest rise too much as he breathed and had a feeling neither of them would be sleeping well again until after the attack on Coruscant. Who knew how long it would take the slicers to do their work?

Han frowned and shook his head. Best not to dwell on that. Neither of them had so much as mentioned that fact after dinner and instead spent their time enjoying each other’s company to the fullest.

A slight smile tugged at the corner of Han’s mouth in recounting their time together. He wondered if he could give her one last kiss without waking her up.

Reaching down, he lifted a handful of hair away from Leia’s face and tried craning his neck to kiss her. But then she stirred and opened her eyes, and Han sighed in slight disappointment.

Very slight. Leia’s expression was enough to make him forget how much he’d been wanting her to sleep.

“Hey,” he murmured, running his fingers through her hair. “I wake you?”

“Not quite.” Leia shook her head. “Did I wake you?”

“Nah.” Han smiled and kept playing with his fiancee’s hair. He loved how soft and thick it was.

Leia didn’t mind. She smiled back, then yawned. “We should get some sleep, though. It’s getting late.”

Han nodded regretfully. “Yeah...” Together they shifted around to get more comfortable for the night. Han moved his arm and pillow while Leia simply curled up against him. “Y’sorry we stayed up?” he whispered.

Leia’s mouth twitched and she lifted her head to stare at him in the darkness. “No. I’m not. Not in the least.” Her fingers traced the strong line of his jaw.

Han finger combed her hair in return. “Me neither. Think ya needed this.”

Leia nodded drowsily. “We both did. And now both of us need to sleep.” She brushed his lips before settling back down.

He craned his neck and kiss her forehead. “I love you, sweetheart.”

“I know,” smiled Leia, burrowing into his chest. “And I love you. Goodnight.”

“’Night.” Han draped his free arm across Leia’s back and finally relaxed into the pillows. Lying here with the woman who would someday be his wife, he couldn’t remember ever feeling more content. It felt...right….more right than anything else had ever felt in his life.

Sleep took him in minutes.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEE! and LOL for the Rogues' exuberant reaction. Your H/L continues to delight! Much of the relief of getting the crucial mission going seems to be moving along smoothly. All that's left is just carrying it out. [face_thinking] I think they've taken care of preparing for as much as you can beforehand.

10. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    Yay, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha finds it squee-worthy! [face_dancing]My proudest accomplishment on these boards. :p

And now for the fun part...action!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER TWELVE

Luke restlessly stared out the shielded opening as time ticked slowly by in the hangar of the Independence, one of two fighter carriers that now sat parked on the backside of Coruscant's solitary moon. His predominant thoughts were of boredom and impatience.

The assault had, thus far, gone fairly well. The slicers had hacked into the Orbital Defense Systems over the course of four days and allowed Rogue Squadron to fly in and blast the unmanned weapons array into oblivion. Rogue Squadron was left with no losses.

It had been a full two weeks since they had departed the rendezvous point and another since arriving at Coruscant. Luke and the others were left with little to do while the slicers plied their trade.

He missed his father and sister. Until they received word that it was safe to proceed, the rest of the Alliance was laid over in empty space two parsecs to the Galactic East. The entire fleet couldn't hide behind the moon, but it was close enough that they could arrive in only half an hour from the time Rogue Squadron sent word that they were going in for the bombing run. By then the Capital would be in chaos.

Luke turned about and marched toward the hall with a sigh. Maybe I should meditate...clear my head. On the way he passed within earshot of the Falcon, where Han and Chewie were once again making repairs. Han was yelling at Chewie about horizontal boosters, and Chewie was hollering right back. For a minute Luke considered stepping in and asking if they needed help.

Han had been more short-tempered than ever since leaving Leia behind. She had been the counterweight that balanced him out, even though her temper was just as short. Han and Leia conversed daily via intergalactic communication, but of course it wasn't the same. They would not see each other again until the attack on Coruscant was over. Luke couldn't imagine the pain of leaving one's fiancee within days of getting engaged, and so tried to be patient with the couple.

Of course there was also the fact that, with the distance between them, Leia’s training had come to a standstill-

Luke’s commlink buzzed and interrupted his thoughts. He picked it up. "Skywalker."

"Commander Skywalker, this is General Madine," warbled the commlink. "We've just received word that the slicers are finished. Please assemble the pilots in the hangar and get them ready. Good luck, Commander. We'll meet you in the atmosphere in about forty-five minutes."

Luke's stomach twisted. He wasn't sure leading a bombing run against the capital was what he wanted to alleviate boredom. "Yes, sir. Thank you." The words were automatic. He then jogged over to the intercom station near the entrance and tapped in a three-digit code before pressing the mic button. "Attention Red and Rogue flights, this is Commander Skywalker. Report to the hangar bay immediately. We have a go. Repeat. We have a go. Further instructions will be given on arrival. Skywalker out."

The clattering of tools from the vicinity of the Falcon, followed by an exclamatory remark to Chewbacca, told him Han had dropped something in surprise. Of course he’d heard.

Luke smiled grimly as he turned and raced down the hallway toward his quarters. He needed to scramble into his flightsuit before the others arrived.

No sooner had Luke reached the door of his quarters than a sharp pain shot into his left shin from ankle to knee. "Ow!" The sudden jolt made his leg go numb and he went down with a thud. He closed his eyes and took several deep breaths to calm the fierce beating of his heart. Not now! I thought that was over….

His accidental collapses had slacked off since Dagobah, and he hadn’t even experienced one in over two weeks. For this reason and more, Luke never reported to the Infirmary nor told anyone else about them. The last thing the Alliance needed was a lead pilot staying with the medics. Any thoughts of nerve damage were brief. The fate of the galaxy was more important.

Don't you dare do that in the hangar, he ordered his leg. Slowly, cautiously, Luke rose to his feet and tested the uncooperative appendage. It was still unsteady. Luke shut the door to his quarters and decided to change into his flightsuit sitting down. This he did quickly. By the time he had his chestbox in place, the episode had passed.

By the time Luke reached the hangar bay, it was full of pilots, all geared up and ready to go. He surveyed them with the same mixture of excitement and dread he had before every mission. The man took a deep breath, feeling the weight of this assignment heavily. He met the eyes of all twenty pilots who stood at various stages of attention, helmets under their arms, gloves clutched in their hands. At about the same moment he sensed Han and Chewie come up from behind. Here we go.

"Thank you for being so prompt,” he began. “Well, I expect you know why you're here. I just received word from General Madine that Stage One has been completed. Stage Two is now cleared, and that means us. I don't have to tell you how important this mission is, so I won't waste my breath. We're going to split into two subgroups; Rogue Squadron in one, Gold Flight in the other. I'll lead the first and General Solo will lead the second. Grey and Green flights will be under the leadership of Major Cracken and Commander Spelt, with Hazard Squadron flying backup. They're all holed up in the Freedom and will be joining us on the near side of the moon." He glanced at Han. "General Solo, do you have anything to say?"

Han cleared his throat and stepped forward. "All right, fellas. This is it. We get this sucker, and the Empire's history. But don't get cocky. Just cause you're the best pilots in the galaxy don't mean it's gonna be easy. This is prob’ly gonna be the longest, hardest battle ya ever been in. Pretty good chance we're gonna lose a few people today. Wouldn't blame ya if ya wanted to bug out, but if ya do, y’ better say so now." He paused to give pilots a chance to say something. When no one moved, Han nodded with a slight smile. "Didn't think so. Y’know your orders. Ground troops come in half hour after we do. After the Capital’s taken, we run cover from the air 'till ground troops call us off or we run outta fuel. Everybody clear about the rendezvous point planetside?"

Everyone nodded.

Han nodded back. "Good. Guess that's it. Nothing else to do except wish ya good huntin'...and good luck. We're gonna need a lot of it today." A lopsided grin returned to his face. "Go get 'em."

The men lifted their helmets over their heads with a single whoop, then scattered to get to their fighters.

Luke turned around and smiled at Han. "Not bad, considering a few years ago it was like pulling teeth to get you to follow, let alone lead."

Han didn't smile back. "Yeah, don't remind me. Ya hear if the others have left yet?"

"General Madine said they're on their way."

"'Kay." Han frowned and shifted about uncomfortably. "Sure wish Leia wasn't gonna be down there in the middle of everythin'. Tried talkin' her out of it, or at least to let me go with her, but..." he shrugged.

"You'll see her soon enough," said Luke, his voice lowered. "Besides, she'll have an entire group of our best commandos along. They won't let anything happen to her."

"Guess I just miss her."

"I miss her too, Han. But she’ll be fine." He glanced over his shoulder and saw that half his pilots had already made it to their fighters. "I need to be going. See you planetside."

"Yeah, see ya." Han nodded, though he couldn't keep the worry from his face. As Luke turned to go, he reached and poked the younger man's shoulder. "Hey...be careful, will ya?"

Luke broke into a smile, resting his hand on Han's shoulder. "You too." He laughed as Chewie rumpled his hair. Then he jogged away, waving his helmet in farewell.

Han could not explain why, but watching Luke climb into his fighter left him with a sick, hollow feeling in his stomach...the same one that came when he thought of Leia leading the ground troops.

He felt like he was saying goodbye for good. Only after Chewie howled did he head to the Falcon. "Right. C'mon, buddy, let's get goin'."

The sight of nearly fifty snub fighters and one Corellian light freighter suddenly exploding from the backside of the moon like the feathered seeds of a dandle flower was somewhere between startling and awe-inspiring.

For the observers on the surface of Coruscant, it was one of the most frightening things they had ever seen. They wasted a good three minutes swearing and asking each other what had happened to the lunar defense system before any one of them realized that they were under attack. It took another minute to order all available TIE pilots to man their ships and set off on an intercept course. Five more minutes passed before the first squadron was launched.

In those nine minutes, the four detachments of Rebel fighters had made it halfway to the planet's surface. It would be another four minutes before the TIEs reached the inner atmosphere and another nine before the X-Wings would be in range.

Luke found himself fighting off the jitters as he led his men on. He glanced over his shoulder at the reassuring blue and silver dome of Artoo in the astromech socket before putting his eyes forward and pressing the mic pickup. "Rogue Squadron, this is Rogue Leader. All wings, check in."

Immediately the mic crackled with activity.

"Rogue Three, standing by," said Wedge, always the first to check in.

"Rogue Eleven, standing by."

"Rogue Four, standing by."

"Rogue Nine, standing by."

"Rogue Twelve, on your six."

"This is Rogue Two, right behind you," came the youthful voice of Wes Janson.

Luke nodded. “All right, keep tight. We're coming up in the atmosphere. Divert all power to front, port, and starboard deflector shields. Don't want anybody getting cooked back there on re-entry."

Rogue Squadron acknowledged.

The atmosphere loomed ahead. "Here we go. Be sure you're all entering at a thirty degree angle and keep those noses steady. It's going to be a bumpy ride."

The pilots acknowledged. Then they entered the atmosphere.

Luke's ship rattled and whined in protest, and he had to grip the joystick to keep himself level. Heat and friction made the edges of the canopy glow red and orange. Beads of sweat broke out on Luke's brow, though he didn't feel any of the heat. Re-entry only took about five minutes, though it felt like forever. Luke shuddered as the glittering evening lights of Coruscant hove into view through scattered clouds. He pressed the comm button again. "Everybody still with me back there?"

"This is Rogue Three, I'm still here," acknowledged Wedge.

"Rogue Four, I copy."

"Rogue Two, right behind you," said Janson.

"Rogue Nine, checking in."

"Rogue Eleven, I gotcha."

"Rogue Twelve, on your six."

Luke breathed a short sigh of relief, then switched channels. "General Solo, is Gold Flight intact?"

Han's enthusiastic voice filled Luke's helmet. "Copy that. Gold Flight accounted for."

Gray and Green flights came up on the far port side and also confirmed they were in one piece.

Solo patched through to all of them. "All right, fellas, so much for the easy part. We're all gonna spread out and come at 'em from all sides."

Luke nodded as his hands flew over the switches. "Lock s-foils in attack position. Rogue Squadron, turn five points North."

Suddenly the alarm of incoming fighters blared in Luke's ears.

"We got bogeys!" Announced Wedge. "Sensor confirmation of twenty, forty...at least eighty TIE fighters coming in at twenty degrees!"

Luke cringed. They had to expect resistance. "Boys, we've got company! Lasers only. Keep your torpedoes in reserve for the mission."

There was no time for an acknowledgement, because the TIEs were on them. They burst upon Rogue Squadron and Gold Flight like a swarm of angry insects. Their buzz was the whine of their engines, their sting the green blasts from their laser cannons.

The battle for Coruscant had begun.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb flow of details as all the battle squads get in position. Han's nerves for Leia and Luke is understandable, but "feeling like he was saying goodbye forever" ... [face_worried] and then Luke's recurring injury! I was hoping it was more or less recovered. [face_nail_biting]

=D=

12. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha How else was I going to make everyone worry? [face_devil]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Leia felt her stomach twist with apprehension as she watched the blue glow of hyperspace from the Liberty's bridge.

The word had been given. Rogue, Gray, Green, and Gold Flights were all engaging the enemy, with Luke and Han flying the leads. The last word was that three wings of TIEs had been launched. Fifteen minutes had passed since.

A lot could happen in that amount of time. They could have all been wiped out. Or, they could just be too occupied to check in yet.

It wasn't that Leia had any doubts about their abilities. Half the pilots in the Rebellion were aces, and most had at least a year of experience in combat. Luke, of course, was the best pilot they had. Han wasn't far behind. Besides, if Luke had been badly hurt, she would have sensed it.

So why was Leia standing on the bridge, feeling utterly ill as they drew closer to their destination?

"Princess," rasped Ackbar, coming up from behind. "Do you feel well?"

Leia flinched at his voice and turned to him with a sigh and a wan smile. "I'm fine, Admiral."

Ackbar gave a fishy frown. "Are you certain? If you will pardon me for saying so, you look rather ill."

Leia shrugged. "Just worried, I suppose."

The Mon Calamarian nodded. "That is more than understandable, with both your intended and brother engaged in combat."

Don't remind me. Leia straightened her spine, forcing a smile. "Oh, them I'm not worried about," she lied. "If anyone can get through, it's Han and Luke."

The Admiral gave a reasonable imitation of a smile. "Indeed, they can. With pilots like them, the Rebellion has a good fighting chance, I would say. We shall succeed."

Leia's smile faded and she turned away. "We have to. This is our last chance."

Ackbar nodded and turned away, striding back to the command chair.

Leia closed her eyes and took in a deep, slow breath. Perhaps a Jedi breathing exercise would help. With Luke away, training had come to a halt. Even before then, her heart hadn't been in it.

She kept her breathing deep and even, focusing on emptying her mind. Even as she did this, she felt the nebulous, all-encompassing grasp of the Force swirl around her, in her, and through her. Luke found the touch of the Force to be a comfort. Leia still wasn't sure how she felt about it.
    A familiar but unwelcome presence gently nudged the corner of her mind. There were no words, but the feeling of concern and the question buried within made both the perpetrator and his intent clear.

Anakin was asking if she was all right. Not even asking, really, but-

Immediately Leia scowled and shut the proverbial door of her mind with a resounding slam. Will he never leave me alone?

Anakin had not actively tried to speak with his daughter since the nightmare. He didn't want to upset her. But whenever Leia reached for the Force in a disturbed state of mind, his presence was always there, peering around the doorway of her thoughts like a shy performer due to go on stage. Always her response was the same.

It could have been accidental. Leia's control over the Force and how far her mind would reach was still in its infancy. Sometimes while practicing her breathing she would reach out to Luke and give what he called 'a mental tap on the shoulder' without meaning to. That could have been happening with Anakin as well. He might have thought he was being harassed with a Force version of 'Buzz-Buzz-Bail', the child's game where one pushed the entry buzzer to a house and then ran away laughing.

Even if that was the case, Leia wasn't sure she cared. It wasn’t as if she was trying to harass him. She would rather ignore him.

That was one of the reasons she was so uneasy. Leia felt as though even having Anakin on board during battle was somehow bad luck, as if he could jinx the mission just by being there. Yes, both Yoda and Luke had said he was different than Vader, but there was nothing to prevent Anakin from changing sides yet again now that he was on home turf. There was no reason he shouldn’t be a double turncoat and rejoin Palpatine to wipe the Rebellion out of existence. Already Leia had ordered Anakin to be under triple guard during the battle, just in case.

You're being paranoid, her common sense nagged. Palpatine isn't even there. According to the most recent intelligence, Palpatine was re-organizing his troops on Korriban. Even that news left Leia with mixed feelings.

On one hand, it was a good sign that Palpatine was gone. It meant that he had already given up Coruscant for lost. On the other hand, it meant getting rid of that monster would take all the longer. The war could not end until he was dead.

The reversion alarm sounded, signaling their arrival. Leia gripped the railing of the command deck as the stars shrank back into starlines. She felt a brief wave of dizziness come and go quickly and shook her head to clear it as the black orb of Coruscant, speckled with glowing points of white and yellow, appeared on the viewscreen. Anxiously she hurried to the comm station and pressed the button. "Rogue Squadron, this is Leia Organa. Do you copy?"

After a few worrying seconds, the comm crackled to life. "Leia! Rogue Leader here. Nice to hear you." It was Luke, of course. His voice was somewhat strained.

Leia just about sagged to the deck in relief. Stop worrying. Your brother can take care of himself. "We've just entered outer orbit. What's your status?"

"We're in the middle of a stinger's nest, that's our status!" blurted Han. "Sweetheart, you better hang back for a little while longer. Just 'till we get the rest of these eyeballs."

"He's right, Leia," put in Luke. "There's no way the landing party can get down here yet. The opposition is too thick. We haven't even made it to the Palace."

"What's your ETA?"

"I estimate between ten and fifteen minutes. If we hit more resistance, it'll slow us down."

Leia sighed again and glanced at Admiral Ackbar, who nodded in agreement. Well, another few minutes isn't going to make much difference. "We acknowledge. We'll sit tight up here 'till you give the word."

Luke seemed relieved. "Good. See you planetside, Leia. May the Force be with you." And with that, the comm channel was shut off.

Leia pulled away from the comm station, her shoulders sagging. "May it be with you too, Luke."

"Targets in sight," announced Luke some ten minutes later as the lights of the Imperial Palace appeared ahead. "Did we lose anybody else back there?" he asked, the heaviness still in his voice from the loss of Rogues Twelve and Nine.

"Rogue Three, I'm right with you," announced Wedge, his voice equally heavy.

"Rogue Two, on your tail."

"Rogue Four, standing by."

"Rogue Eleven, I gotcha."

Luke nodded, forcing back the sting in his eyes. Kelven and Faraday could be mourned later, after the battle was over. "Acknowledged. Rogue Two, what's the status on that engine?" He asked, glancing over his shoulder at the thin trail of smoke that streamed from Janson's upper starboard engine.

Wes's voice was like his fighter; unsteady, but intact. "I'm still in the air, Rogue Leader. I can hold her together 'till after we launch the torps."

Luke shook his head, not wanting to send an injured craft into battle. But without air support from a larger ship, there was nowhere else for Janson to go. "All right. Stand by." He switched channels. "Gold flight, do you copy?"

"We're here," mumbled Han. "We lost the top laser cannon on the Falcon...and...Golds Four, Six, Seven, and Ten. Howen was in the top turret when it blew. He's alive, but in pretty rough shape. Gray and Green flights lost about two fighters each. Other than that..." he let his voice drift off.

"I copy, Han. Hang in there." Luke knew one of the times Han hated being a General was when he lost men who had been following his orders. That was the price of command. "All right, Rogues. We'll be taking out the primary power and defense stations around the Imperial Palace. Do not, I repeat, do not fire until you have a lock. We want to leave the civilians alone and focus on the military installations. Does everyone copy?" said Luke firmly. Everyone answered an affirmative. "Good. We'll be in range in about a minute."

The minute passed quickly. Anti-aircraft fire bounced harmlessly off their shields, too far away to do any damage. The targeting computer, stowed away behind Luke's left shoulder, beeped rapidly to let him know he was in range. "Targets in range. Lock on and prepare to fire." While the rest of his Squadron eyed their computers, Luke reached out through the Force, as he had during the Battle of Yavin. Then it had been a step of faith. This time he was sure of himself, and of his connection with the Force. It guided his hands effortlessly over the controls. He barely heard the beeping confirmation that his target was locked.

"Rogue Squadron, this is Gold Leader," said Han over the comm. "Targets locked. Acknowledge."

"Rogue Squadron is locked," said Luke, almost distantly. One by one he heard Gray and Green Flights say the same.

Han cleared his throat, tight with nerves though it was. "All vessels prepare to fire on my mark. Three, two, one, mark!"

Thirty-eight vessels, stationed at the four different points of the compass around the Imperial Palace Complex, all fired their torpedoes at the same moment. All seventy-six found their marks and exploded on impact, triggering dozens of secondary explosions and sending bits of flaming shrapnel half a mile into the air. The tiny points of light in the windows of the Palace went dark and the visible guards scattered.

"Home One, this is Gold Leader. Visual confirmation. Targets destroyed," crowed Han. "You're all clear. Come on down." He switched back to the fighters. "Ok, fellas, don't stick around to watch the fireworks. Let's go give 'em some cover as they come in."

Luke felt a rush of adrenaline he led Rogue Squadron in pulling up and breaking to starboard in a crescent moon formation. While his men whooped and hollered, his own enthusiasm was more reserved. Something told him that this had been too easy.

His answer came as three more wings of TIEs were launched right behind them. Instinctively he dodged an incoming laser blast. "Watch it, we've got more TIEs on our six! Rogue Squadron, evasive maneuvers!"

The X-Wings immediately broke formation and scattered like household insects under a sudden burst of light.

It wasn't over yet.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great and realistic introspection during Leia's scene and interesting comparison, of the Force contact with opening or closing of a door. [face_thinking]

Riveting action and edge of seatness during the insertion of the squads!

14. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you, as always. [:D]And hang on to that seat, because more action is coming!

Here's where the poodoo hits the fan...[face_worried]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

BANG!

A small group of Rebel commandos ducked and covered their ears as a compact explosive went off. Pieces of door went flying in all directions with a deep report. Before the smoke had cleared they went in, armed with blasters and night-vision goggles. Little to no attention was paid to the small pile of dead or stunned guards just outside.

Leia felt the hair on back of her neck stand on end as she filed in behind Major Derlin. The Palace was freezing cold; unseasonable for that time of year. Were it not for the insulated combat jacket she wore, she would have shivered. Her teeth wanted to chatter, but stubbornly she clamped them shut. Chattering teeth would not project the image of a fearless leader. That thought alone kept Leia from showing the fear that was seeping deeper into her bones with every step.

Phases One and Two had been a success. Presently Rogue Squadron and the others were mopping up what remained of the TIEs and returning to the planetside rendezvous point. Losses had, thus far, been surprisingly light. Each flight lost between four and six craft. Gray Flight's losses were the worst with seven destroyed and two disabled, while Rogue Squadron had the lightest. Two fighters had been lost and two more were badly damaged. Wes Janson, under the call sign Rogue Two, had a rough landing in his damaged fighter and was with a few medics. Preliminary diagnosis was a broken arm and possibly several broken ribs. Luke was concerned about his young friend, but had to stay in the air as long as possible. He was, after all, flying lead.

Leia's mind wandered to Han. She regretted not letting him come along on the ground assault. He was still trying to find an intact docking bay big enough to hold the Falcon and yet not out in the open. The injured Howen was in pain, but stable. The man had lost three fingers and one eye in the explosion. He might lose the other if he didn't get to a bacta tank soon.

Leia forced the image of the pessimistic Colonel from her mind. The price of freedom was high. Injuries and even deaths were all but impossible to avoid.

Deeper they plunged into the building. Leia found it odd that less than half of the predicted guard were present. Midway to the vacated Executive Wing, only one squad of troopers did anything to try and slow them down. Yet the sense of danger grew with every level they cleared. Not for the first time did Leia wish the Force would stop playing with her head. Enough. There's nothing here.

The Force said otherwise. Leia's stomach twisted harder until for a moment she thought she might be sick. She had to pause and take several deep breaths. You're letting your fear take over. Get a grip! She took several deep breaths, trying to reach for calm. Her stomach quieted but the sense of danger did not. It was almost screaming at her. Get out! Now! Leia shook her head, though by now her arms and legs were trembling with the effort of going forward.

It was too late to turn back now.

They reached the Executive Wing with no further opposition. By this time even the stoic, seasoned Major Derlin was on edge. He shivered and glanced at Leia. "We're sure the old man's not home?" He whispered.

Leia's every limb froze and for a moment her vocal cords stopped working. Her brown eyes went wide as she realized that this sense of danger and icy fear had been felt once before...years before, when she had met Palpatine as a young girl...and all at once Leia's voice returned in a shout. "Major! Get out of-"

Half a second later the doors flew open and a flood of stormtroopers poured out, firing blue stun blasts. Derlin and four others fell unconscious. The rest fired back, but it was a futile effort. In half a minute every last one of the team had been stunned or captured.

Leia, who had let her instincts take over and managed to kill ten troopers, found herself overtaken and pinned face down on the floor, both arms restrained behind her and her blaster kicked away. The chill drove even deeper, and a set of shuffling footsteps approached. The thought of what twisted reason Palpatine wanted her alive for made her want to retch.

No! He’s not taking me! Leia took a deep breath and reached up with her leg to kick one of the troopers over. Then she grunted, elbowed the other trooper, and scrambled to her feet. A blaster was called into her hands via the Force. Get away, get away, get away...she ran four steps before something unseen knocked her off her feet and back onto her stomach. A thin cackle followed as the troopers had her restrained again. Her heart sank as she sensed the familiar but most decidedly unwelcome presence as it entered the room. When she lifted her eyes, what they saw was pure evil.

Emperor Palpatine sneered at the young woman as she was forcibly restrained. "Welcome, Your Highness. I have been expecting you."

It was an effort to swallow the bile that had risen in her throat, but Leia managed. Though she trembled, she looked him directly in the eye and glared. "Your reign is at an end, Palpatine. Your followers are scattered and your palace has fallen."

Palpatine cackled all the more, showing rotten teeth in a hideous grin. "You are most gravely mistaken, young lady. It is, in fact, the Rebellion that will fall when the those that lead them are no more."

Leia lifted her chin in defiance. "If you think my death will make the Rebellion fall, think again. They'll only be spurred to further action." She took a deep, shuddering breath, not fearing death but what it would do to Han and Luke. "And if you're planning on killing me, you had better get it over with. I'll tell you nothing."

The Emperor scoffed. "Kill you? Why no, my dear. I merely wish to show you that this Empire is not as evil as you think it is. In time, you will see the error of your ways and return to the fold...and then, you will persuade your brother to do the same."

Blood drained from Leia's face. He knows? How? Was Luke right, and he can sense-

The Emperor nodded. "Yes....I know of your heritage. I know you have been learning of this new and useful power within yourself...a power that you have not even begun to discover."

"I'll never join you," blurted Leia. She was afraid...terrified...but she could not give in, now or ever. "And neither will Luke. You will never have him."

"You are gravely mistaken. Even now, he senses that his dear sister is in peril. It will be only a matter of time before he comes to rescue her." A casual gesture to one of his troopers made the soldier raise his blaster and fire near Leia’s head.

Before the Princess could wonder why the trooper had missed such an easy shot, a pipe she hadn’t seen before burst. A line of hot, hissing steam blasted her square in the face.

Leia screamed and writhed as the troopers held her in the path of the steam, gloved fingers digging into her scalp no matter how hard she struggled. Finally, they pulled her away, and Leia recoiled, gasping and trembling and trying very hard not to cry.

Palpatine smirked. "Now that young Skywalker has sensed your pain, he will come all the sooner. In the meantime, my dear, you must consider yourself my guest."

Rage and worry burst forth at once, and Leia lunged for the apparition before her.

She didn’t get far. A flash of blue momentarily blinded her and she was undertaken with a feeling of numbness.

Leia knew the feeling well. It wasn’t long before the black shroud of unconsciousness took her.

"NO!" Luke's voice strangled with worry. For a moment he forgot he was still flying and had to yank aggressively on the joystick to avoid crashing into a nearby skyscraper.

Rogue Squadron’s job was done. Most of them had since landed around the neighborhood of the Imperial Palace. Luke had been on final approach himself when the feeling of imminent danger, directed at Leia, had distracted him and he had to circle around to make another pass.

This was different. Rather than some nebulous, uncertain feeling of peril, there was clarity. Leia had been captured. She was hurt. And with the intense feeling of cold and fear hanging around the Palace, Luke had no doubt as to who the perpetrator was.

The intelligence had been wrong. The Emprorer was in the Palace, explaining the sense of danger Luke could not shake.

"Luke, what the hell’s goin' on?" barked Han over the comm.

"It's Leia, she-" Luke’s expression screwed into one of agony. He hated having to tell Han such terrible news. "She's been captured. Palpatine has her."

"WHAT!?!!?" Snapped Han, anger and worry and disbelief competing for attention in his voice. "No, it can't be. The intel said Palps was off-planet. They confirmed it! How would you know, anyway?"

"I can sense it.” Luke pressed his lips together in urgency. “Han, I have to find her. Please trust me."

Stunned silence filled the channel for a moment. When Han found his voice, it was no more than a croak. "Yeah...yeah, I trust you. So where's he got her? You're cracked if you think I'm not comin' along."

Luke grimaced even as he headed for the landing point. Han would be an easy kill for Palpatine, and the last thing Luke wanted was for his sister to lose her fiancé. "Imperial Palace. I'm not sure which room or floor. But I can't wait for you. There's no time."

"Don't. I'll catch up. We'll start at the bottom and work our way up." Han finished by cursing Palpatine to oblivion.

Luke was trembling as he came in for a landing at the nearest available spot outside the dark building. As the canopy opened he vaulted out without even bothering with the ladder. The brief numbness in his leg was ignored as he buckled on his utility belt, already running for the entrance. He turned around mid-stride to see Artoo whistling plaintively from the astromech socket. "Not this time, little guy. It's too dangerous. I'll be back soon, all right?"

Artoo protested loudly and reminded Luke of what had happened the last time they were separated. But it was too late. Luke was already out of sight.

One foot in front of the other, running as hard as he could down the winding, labyrinthine corridors, Luke was in a constant battle to keep his emotions in check. All he could think of was Leia, caught in the clutches of Palpatine. It would be easy to lose oneself to the pervading chill in the building. Fear and anger were thick enough to choke on, to make a person freeze in terror. Only by calling on the Force was he able to fight it back.

Leia, he called, trying desperately to sense her. Leia, I'm coming.

There was no response. The Dark Side clouded his senses, making it difficult to know where she was. Luke was fairly sure she was alive, but could not tell if she was injured or unconscious.

He rounded the right-hand corner, danger sense prickling suddenly. In seconds he saw why.

Ten stormtroopers were guarding a pair of large double doors at the end of the hall. Each one of them pointed their blasters straight at Luke. As he whirled his saber around to block the bolts, he noticed they were blue.

They were set to stun. Palpatine wanted him alive.

Impatient, Luke set about cutting through the troopers. He was careful not to kill, but disarm. Blasters, fingers, and sometimes hands were sliced in two, drawing howls of pain from the troopers. In a minute flat, Luke had disabled all but two, who gave up and ran past him. He ignored them and burst through the door.

It was another corridor, ill-lit by the red emergency lighting. The corridor was curved and carpeted in lavender, with gold-tone bass relief artwork on the walls. Luke ignored it as he plowed ahead. He called to his sister again. Leia....Leia, hear me…

A brief, interrupted nudge leapt into his mind for only half a second, but Luke knew exactly who it was. "Leia!"

She was close. He could sense the echoes of her fear, but something as cold and hard as the ice caverns of Hoth continued to block him. Another door loomed ahead, standing open into a pitch-black room from which the chill of the Dark Side practically oozed. Luke plowed ahead.

He didn't notice that his leg was unsteady until he left the carpet and ran on hard tiled floor. He didn't know why, for a split second, it felt as if it was made of rubber.

Then Luke heard and felt a sickening crack in his left tibia. It would no longer hold his weight, and he fell headlong onto the floor. He knew even before he hit the tile and dropped his lightsaber that his leg was broken again. Too-One-Be had been right. He had pushed himself too hard, and now he was paying for it at the worst possible moment.

Knowing the situation didn't make it hurt any less. A short, breathless yelp flew from Luke's lips as the wind was knocked out of his chest on impact. The pain was horrible. Sweat broke out on his upper lip and the back of his neck, every limb trembled, and for a moment he almost blacked out. Another cry, half yell, and half whimper, rang in his ears as he squeezed his eyes shut.

Leia...get to Leia...get to Leia... Luke forced himself to calm down. Injured or not, he had to find his sister. Short, heavy breaths were blown out as he pushed up on his elbows and rolled over. Even that small movement send waves of agony past his knee. He cried out again through clenched teeth. With an effort he focused on controlling the pain with the Force. The tramp of booted feet from down the hall told of approaching troopers.

Luke's eyes scanned the floor, searching for his saber. It was over in the corner. He used the Force to call it back into his shaking hand and rose into a sitting position. He wondered how many Jedi fought injured.

The temperature of the room seemed to drop several degrees. A low, sickening cackle echoed from nowhere and everywhere at once. Fear multiplied like a microorganism.

Luke bent his right leg and began scooting backward on his rear, saber drawn and ignited even through his pain. He took deep breaths to calm himself, finally rising to his one good foot with effort.

A cowled apparition in black exited the room. He hobbled along with a gnarled black cane, held in one of his pale, wrinkled hands. The face beneath the hood was like something out of a nightmare. Nearly white, pinched and wrinkled and sickly, it sneered at Luke. His eyes, a demonic yellow, seemed to glow with wicked pride. The red hue of the room added to the ghastly effect. "Welcome, my young Jedi."

"Emperor Palpatine, I presume." Luke's voice was strained with pain, but he kept his limbs steady.

"You are delightfully predictable," sneered Palpatine. "Always the first to rush blindly into danger for the sake of a single life."

"Where is she?" Luke asked, lifting his chin and pointing his blade at the shriveled man.

"Oh, you needn't fear for your dear sister," cackled the Emperor. "She is quite comfortable. You, on the other hand, shall not be as fortunate." He motioned to the troopers that came up from behind Luke.

Luke found his arms in their grip. With his free hand he disarmed four of the troopers before they had him restrained. He bit down on his cry as they hauled him up, heedless of his leg.

Palpatine leaned over his young prisoner. "Oh. Are you injured, young Jedi?" He mocked with false sympathy. He motioned to the trooper on the left, who gave Luke a savage blow on the side of his head with the butt of his blaster.

Luke's head rang with the blow. He fought to stay conscious as the images before his eyes swam into a confused kaleidoscope.

"You think you are in pain?" Palpatine's false smile quickly faded as he pointed a gnarled finger at Luke's chest. "You know nothing of what true pain is...but you will. Yes...death will be a mercy." A look of utter cruelty came into his twisted features. "One that your sister will gladly bring."

Before Luke could begin to doubt or worry, another blow to his head made his vision fade to red, and then black.

Aboard the Liberty, still hanging in orbit on the opposite side of the planet, Anakin stared listlessly at his plate. He couldn't eat. His heart was empty.

He had been this way for hours. After sensing Luke's sudden explosion of pain and his subsequent silence, he had gone utterly frantic, going so far as to beat on his cell door and ask the guard for information. The guard thought he was crazy. Then Sal brought his dinner. After an argument over what Anakin had sensed, Sal finally convinced him to eat a few bites, saying that he was sure Luke was all right.

"Come on," urged Sal quietly. "You're not through yet."

Wordlessly Anakin shook his head. He felt hollow...defeated. He couldn't sense either Luke or Leia's presence. The idea they were both dead crossed his mind and was discarded several times before he considered it in earnest.

It didn't make sense. Anakin had felt their pain, but not their deaths. He was certain he would have...at least for Luke. He could not accept that both his son and his daughter were gone. But why could he not contact them...or even sense their presence?

A guard came inside, looking pale. He motioned to Sal.

Sal glanced at his stubborn patient and went to the door. "Yes?"

Anakin watched them, dread rising. He couldn't hear what they were saying. His artificial hearing had been acting up lately. But he knew by their expressions that it was bad news. He watched as Sal walked back up to him, face pale. Please...please don't tell me my children are dead.

Sal took a deep breath. "Anakin...several hours ago a large Imperial Shuttle and a squadron of TIEs managed to escape Coruscant and jump to hyperspace. Given the security footage, the number of life scans on the craft, and the fact they have not been found anywhere else...the Rebel authorities have come to the conclusion that Palpatine was lying in wait in the Palace. I'm afraid he's captured both Commander Skywalker and Princess Leia."

Anakin felt as if all the air had been forced from his lungs. The Monster had his children. No... His breath came in heaves, growing deeper with every inhalation as the full impact of the news was known. His half eaten dinner rose up from his stomach, which was roiling with grief. Eyes aching with tears, Anakin pushed up from the table, trotting for the refresher unit.

He didn't make it. Only halfway across the room he stopped and vomited what little he had put in his stomach onto the floor, coughing as his knees gave way and he went down on all fours. "No," he moaned, and vomited again.

Sal rushed to his side, supporting Anakin by the shoulders. He couldn't explain the ache in his own heart beyond sympathy for a devastated father, though he knew it was more. He cared for his patient and even thought of him as a friend. So when Anakin collapsed to the floor, Sal caught him. "All right...come on...come on, now." After checking the airway to be sure it was open, he hauled Anakin to his feet and helped him stumble over to the cot, sitting him down on it. "Easy...slow, deep breaths."

Anakin hardly heard Sal. Even his breath shook. “Not my children...please...please, not my children...” Sal’s faint words of comfort were ignored. Anger was rising again, thick and hot and suffocating. Finally a long, loud roar of rage tore from his throat. “NOOOOOOOO!”

Furniture rattled. Dishes flew off the table and into the wall with a loud clatter. An invisible hand pushed every living being back by about a foot.

Sal and the guards were startled and even frightened. One guard drew his stun stick while the other went for his comm. “Brig control, we’ve got a situation. Prisoner 1138 highly agitated. May need sedatives, over. Permission to stun?”

“No, wait!” cried Sal, holding out his arm and cautiously approaching Anakin again. “Anakin...Anakin, can you calm down?”

Anakin held his skull in a death grip, trying desperately to regain control of himself. The Dark Side was calling. With great effort he fought it back.

The dishes stopped rattling. The furniture settled. Quiet returned to the cell.

Sal breathed a sigh of relief. “There. That’s better. It’s all right.”

Anakin responded by dissolving into weeping. His face went into his hands and his shoulders heaved as several painful tears squeezed themselves out of his eyes.

First Qui-Gon had died. Then his mother. Then Padme. Now both son and daughter had been captured by Palpatine.

It was a fate worse than death.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow! :eek: [face_nail_biting] Riveting doesn't even describe that chapter!

16. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    :eek:[face_worried][face_nail_biting]Certainly hope Luke and Leia will be okay. Poor Anakin; always losing those he loves. Hope he can hold his emotions in check.

Great update!=D=

17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    That was intense.

Admit it, Sal. You care.

18. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    Yay, so many familiar faces! [:D]

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you very much! Like I said, that's where the poodoo hit the fan...

@JediMaster_Jen I know, right? But It's one of the hazards of living in the GFFA and being Force-sensitive. :(

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701 He definitely cares. :) We'll see just how much soon...ish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Sleep was supposed to be refreshing. It was supposed to renew strength and purpose and give one a clear mind.

This wasn’t the case for Leia. She wanted to shake off the sleep of the stun blast...to stir from her slumber to find that the last few hours had been nothing more than another nightmare. She wanted to wake beside her fiance and hear him snore, grunt, and wrap his arm around her waist before going back to sleep...she wanted to walk the corridors of the Liberty and sense Luke nearby, his presence as warm and comforting as a blanket...she wanted everything to be over, from her Jedi instruction to the blasted war.

Leia did wake, but she knew even before her eyes opened that she was not where she wanted to be. Han wasn't there. Luke wasn't there. She was not with the Rebellion...and the cold, sickening presence of Palpatine was very, very near.

The woman opened her eyes, flinched, and recoiled, as if she could hide from the evil that permeated the very walls. Leia looked around the room slowly. She half expected to find the monster lurking in the shadows.

She lay on a bed in what looked like guest quarters. In the room were modest but comfortable furnishings, including a trunk at the foot of the bed, a desk with an upholstered chair, a refresher unit, and a clothing locker against the far wall.

None of it told Leia where she was. The low, distant hum of an engine told her she was no longer on Coruscant. Palpatine had spirited her away and was heading goodness-knows-where, for goodness-knows-what reason. Either way, it was a very bad situation.

Leia rose too quickly and again, her stomach protested. For a moment she felt certain she was going to be sick. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths, trying to ignore the persistent ache and numbness that plagued her body. Her face still burned. Gingerly touching it, her fingers felt damp, warm skin and blisters on cheeks, chin, and forehead. The woman reached for the Force reluctantly, remembering something that Luke had said about using it to heal. Worry about her brother invaded her thoughts, and she had to relax in order for this to work.

The Force responded in something akin to a whisper. It flowed into Leia's consciousness and allowed her to sense her surroundings. They were clouded, as if by a thick fog. Mentally she pushed it back. The ache and nausea began fading.

A vague sense of pain touched the corner of Leia's mind, but it was not her own. It was connected to a presence not far away on the ship, warm and familiar and-

"Luke!" She gasped, horrified. Palpatine had them both. His twisted plan had worked.

Luke answered quickly. Leia! Are you all right? Where are you?

"I don't know," she whispered. "They stunned me, but-" Leia focused on his presence. His pain worried her. "You're hurt."

My leg is broken again, he admitted.

Leia's heart sank. She’d known he’d been pushing himself too much! "Oh, Luke..."

I'll be all right. I can taste bacta and it doesn't hurt as much now. He wants us alive.

"That's what I'm afraid of. Luke, why did he capture us?"

He probably expects to turn us both to the Dark Side. Luke paused as his pain came again. Leia, be careful. Don't give in to fear and anger. I'll help you as much as I can. Another pause. He's coming to you. Stay strong, Leia. You're not alone. And with that, contact was broken.

Leia shuddered and scrambled backwards as the connection to the Force was abruptly severed, replaced by the bone-deep chill of Palpatine's presence. Her skin prickled with cold-pimples and she rubbed them away.

The door slid open. Two Royal Guards and four stormtroopers stood at attention at the entrance. Then Palpatine hobbled in, clutching his cane and smiling, the chill of the Dark Side clinging to him like his black cloak. "Good morning, Your Highness. Do you find your quarters satisfactory?"

Leia slid off the bed, glaring at him. "Where's Luke? What have you done to him?"

Palpatine came closer. "Now, do not worry about your brother. He is being well treated."

Leia scoffed. Liar. "Where is he? I know you have him here."

The Emperor smiled with evil satisfaction. "Yes...you sense his presence, don't you?" When Leia recoiled, he cackled. "You need not hide your talents from me, Your Highness. But please," he said, spreading his arm in a gesture of innocence. "Do not fear me. I have no intention of harming you. You must consider yourself and your brother to be my honored guests."

"Guests?" spat Leia, her anger rising. "You hurt us...you've captured and imprisoned us...I'm expecting full guards outside our rooms...some host!"

"Ah, but that was not my intention," insisted Palpatine. His face was the picture of sympathy. "Your brother’s injury was self-inflicted due to stubbornness, was it not? As for yourself, your face was burned by a steam vent, and for that I am truly sorry. You will, of course, receive medical attention."

Leia took another step away from him and found her back to the wall. "That was no accident. You-"

Palpatine raised his hand to silence her and slowly shook his head. "Ah, my dear, it seems as though the stun burst has addled your memory. I did no such thing. Your face was burned by a sudden explosion of escaping steam. When I came to your aid, you became frightened, so for your own safety, you were stunned."

Leia frowned, her brows knitting in confusion. Her head spun. What? No! But his tone was so convincing. Part of her wanted to believe him. Leia shook her head, rubbing her temples. What about Luke? "If you have no intention of harming us, then why won't you tell me where Luke is? Why can't I see him?"

Palpatine backed a little. "But of course you may see him, my dear. First you must have something done for your face-"

"No. First I want to see Luke and make sure he's all right."

"As you wish, Your Highness." Palpatine gestured to his troopers, who came to escort Leia out of the room.

Though her stomach was lurching more than ever, Leia walked between them without a fight. It was a struggle not to panic, but she knew that as long as she was unarmed, fighting would be useless.

Luke was as surprised to see the medical droid as he was to hear from Leia. He had sensed her presence vaguely, but couldn't tell how far away she was or anything about her condition. She was frightened...that much was obvious.

He had awakened feeling as if he had been stepped on by an AT-AT. His head ached and spun, his leg throbbed, and his body had that tingling sort of numbness that was left behind by a stun blast. He was back in a set of Imperial issue medical pajamas, and the smell of bacta hung thick in his nostrils. Experimentally Luke had tried moving his leg. It still hurt, but not as bad as before. It had turned purple around the break and was heavy and difficult to move, so he decided to keep as still as he could.

Then he spoke with Leia and kept on the alert. In minutes the medical droid had arrived and begun putting a splint on Luke's leg.

The droid was still working on it when Luke sensed the approach of two opposites; the warm and pleasant presence of Leia, and the cold, dark presence of Palpatine. Luke tensed and took several deep breaths to steady his nerves.

The door slid open, admitting the newcomers. Two troopers entered first and stood at attention just inside the door. Then came two more, flanking Leia. Palpatine hung behind with his personal guards.

The medical droid finished applying the splint and moved aside just as Leia broke loose and ran for her brother. "Luke!"

"Leia..." Luke welcomed her embrace, but kept it brief. His brows knit in concern seeing the burns on her face. "What happened?" Her scowl told him all he needed to know, and he worked hard to control the anger that rose. "He hurt you-"

"I'll be all right," Leia said hastily. She moved down and rested her hand on Luke's knee, biting her lip. "What about you?"

"They're treating it...for now," he murmured.

"How did it happen?"

"Too-One-Be was right. It never completely healed. I was running and the bone just snapped."

Palpatine stepped forward, his hands spread in defense. "You see, Your Highness? I have no intention of harming your brother."

Luke lifted his head with a frown and draped a protective arm across his sister. "What do you want with us?"

The man shrugged. "All in good time, Young Skywalker. And now, I am afraid I must call this family reunion to an end."

Leia clung to Luke's arm and pushed back the trooper that tried to take her. "Why? If your intentions are good and not evil, why must we be separated?"

Palpatine chuckled...it still came out as a cackle. "My dear, you must think of the practical side. There is privacy to consider, and your brother must rest...and you yourself must have medical treatment."

The young woman scoffed. "Why should either of us listen? We’ve no reason to trust you.”

The Emperor shrugged. "Give it time, Your Highness. In time you will both see reason." He motioned to the troopers, who moved in to gather Leia.

Leia shook her head as she was literally pried away from Luke and struggled against the grip of the troopers. "No...Luke...Luke!"

"Calm yourself, Your Highness," said the Emperor. "You will see your brother again."

Luke tried to rise, but both the grip of troopers on his shoulders and the weakness in his leg prevented it. His eyes met Leia's and saw fear and anger there. Wordlessly he shook his head. Not that way, Leia. Don't fight...not yet. I'll be all right.

Leia's face twisted with worry, but she nodded. A little defiance rose up anyway at the door and she glared at Palpatine with everything she had.

Palpatine gave a sickening smile. "Escort her Highness back to her quarters and see that she has everything she needs." He turned to go inside Luke's quarters.

Leia froze. Palpatine was going to be alone with Luke. "What are you going to do?" She sputtered, though she knew Palpatine probably would not answer.

"I am merely going to have a discussion with him," said Palpatine with a look of innocence. "So long as he is receptive, there is nothing to fear."

"No...wait. Luke...Luke!" So shrieking, Leia was dragged from the room and back to her quarters, where another medical droid was waiting. She would not submit to treatment and deactivated the Imperial doctor, closing her eyes to try and keep tabs on Luke through the Force.

She sensed nothing but the respective presences of Luke and the Emperor. Minutes ticked by with nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps they were just talking…

Leia's face itched. If the blisters were any indication, the burns were second degree and could get easily be infected if not treated. With a sigh of annoyance she activated the medical droid and let it treat her.

It was not until after the droid had left that Leia was slapped by a sudden sense of excruciating pain...but from Luke. It was so intense she could almost feel it herself. "Luke!" She reached for him. He wasn't speaking, but the emotions of resistance and worry were present.

Luke was being tortured...and there was nothing she could do to help him.

Worry came first, followed closely by frustration and then outright anger. The thought of Palpatine hurting her brother was infuriating. "Stop it!" She growled, as if she could speak to him. "Stop it! Leave him alone...he's not going to tell you anything!"

Luke's pain did not ease. If anything it grew worse.

Leia burst into tears of anger and slammed her fists against the wall. “Stop!” she screamed. Hatred for Palpatine ran hot. She wanted that monster dead. The hate coursed through her veins, flooding her body with adrenaline. There was a brief moment where Leia felt as if she could do anything, if only she had more power. She wanted more...she wanted to crush the troopers outside, destroy the Emperor, and save Luke. That feeling brought with it a deep chill, much like the one that hung around the Emperor.

Leia flinched and shook her head, trying to clear it. She was dabbling in the Dark Side. That was to be avoided at all costs.

That was what Emperor Palpatine wanted.

AzureAngel2, Zer0 and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_nail_biting] =D= Oh, edge of seatness as we wonder if Luke and Leia will be strong enough to withstand the onslaught and manipulations.

20. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Hehehe...just wait. It's about to get a *lot* more interesting....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Han Solo had never felt such intense anger in his life. Hearing that the intelligence about Palpatine's location had been wrong was bad enough. Losing so many in the Battle of Coruscant was worse.

Knowing that both his fiancée and his best friend had been captured by Palpatine and taken to an unknown location was the very definition of hell. Han was beyond just being angry or sad. He was utterly furious and quickly channeled his feelings into action.

He had no way to confront those who had procured the bogus intelligence. That might have even been planted by Palpatine himself. From the reports of Major Derlin and the others, the whole setup had been laid out like an elaborate trap. What Han wanted to find out was how Palpatine had known who was coming and when. The only reasonable explanation was that there was a traitor among them. But who would have the motivation to do such a thing, especially if the only gain of the Emperor was the capture of Luke and Leia?

Han could think of only one, and he was sitting in the brig aboard the Liberty. Han planned to get an answer out of the man even if he had to punch the living daylights out of him. He certainly felt like doing that.

The smuggler marched on with a determined, angry stride, glaring not at anyone in particular but at the situation. Any who saw his expression skirted him at a wide distance. Even without Chewbacca, Han could look very intimidating. Chewie had asked to come along, but Han had not let him. He figured the Wookiee might make a mess if he started ripping off arms.

Han arrived at the Detention area quickly and went through all the necessary security checks before heading directly to the last cell and waiting for the guard to admit him. Anakin's back was turned and he sat slouched at his table, a full plate before him. Lt. Sal sat on the other side.

Han didn't hesitate. He grabbed Anakin by the shoulder, hauled him up, turned him around and reared back. "Sonofa-" POW! His fist connected hard with Anakin's jaw. The older man didn't even have time to duck and went reeling to the floor.

What happened next was too quick to process. Lieutenant Sal cursed and rushed to Anakin’s side. A guard came forward to restrain Han and drag him away from Anakin even as the pilot continued to curse and struggle.

"What's goin' on, huh? You say you turned over a new leaf, then sell your own son to the devil?"

“Solo, what the hell are you thinking?” demanded Sal angrily. “Alliance policy does not allow for brutality to prisoners!"

“To hell with policy! Y’know who that is? It’s-”

“-the former Darth Vader,” put in Anakin, waving Sal off as he painfully pushed to his feet and turned to face the furious pilot. A thin line of blood dripped out the corner of his mouth. "Captain Solo?" His voice was quiet and strained, as if speaking was painful. Carefully he worked his jaw around in a circle and spat a mouthful of blood into his bionic hand. “I can't say your reaction is a surprise," he added. "I expect half the galaxy wants to do the same thing."

Han froze, mouth agape in shock and confusion. He had never seen Anakin before. This was not a cloaked, masked monster, but a sickly, frail-looking man with a breathing tube and four mechanical limbs. For a moment Han was aghast. Who the hell is this? Am I in the right cell?

Sal was glaring as he examined his charge. “Don’t let him go,” he told the guards. “Soon as I’ve made sure Skywalker is all right, I’m calling this in.”

Han blinked even as his eyes all but bugged out. Skywalker...that’s Luke’s name...he did say this guy is his father, but...how could this walking emergency room be Vader?

Meanwhile Sal fished a small medic kit out of his belt and peered into Anakin's mouth. “Hold still….” A small wad of gauze was pressed against the inside of his lower lip. He felt around Anakin's jaw, moving it about before sagging in relief. “Just a cut lip. You’re fine. Wait just a minute, and I’ll see about getting the General out of here-”

“No, wait,” Anakin broke in, holding his arm in front of Sal but keeping his eyes on Han. “Let him go. He only came to ask questions.”

“Anakin, you’re lucky he didn’t break your jaw. Whether he was sent to question you or not is beside the point. This is against policy and I won’t have it,” Sal insisted.

“It’s all right, Lieutenant,” sighed Anakin. He kept his blue eyes locked on Han’s, letting every bit of confusion and accusation hit him full force. “He won’t hurt me.”

“Like hell I won’t,” muttered Han as the guards released him. Having gotten over the shock of Anakin’s appearance, his anger returned, though subdued.

“I suppose, given past history, I should have expected the Alliance to have more questions,” Anakin shrugged wearily.

Han crossed his arms. “I ain’t here ‘cause ‘a the Alliance. I’m here ‘cause ‘a you. What kinda game you playin’? Huh? Is this part a’ your big plan, play nice a couple months just t’ go back t’ your ole’ stompin’ grounds?”

Anakin’s hairless brows knit. “I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re talking about, Cap...pardon me. General Solo.”

Han took a heavy step forward, prompting Sal to put himself between the two men. “You know damn well what I’m talkin’ about! Luke...Leia...ya sold ‘em out, didn’cha? Didn’cha!”

Anakin winced and closed his eyes. Such thinking wasn’t a surprise, but that didn’t keep it from hurting.

Sal just gaped at him. “General, be reasonable! Even if Anakin had any motivation to turn in his own children, how would he do that? Think about it! He’s been in solitary confinement with absolutely no access to outside communication!”

Kindly Anakin nudged the medic away. “Sal...I appreciate your support, but I can defend myself. May I?” He turned to Han and found his eyes again. He couldn’t stop the look of indignant anger that flashed briefly. "Is that what you think, General? Apart from the countless other atrocities Emperor Palpatine has committed...orchestrating a civil war, murdering millions...do you know what he did to me?” When he was greeted with the expected silence, Anakin took a step toward Han. “He imprisoned me for twenty years...most likely arranged the death of my wife...and captured my children, most likely to torture and eventually kill them." Slowly Anakin leaned forward. "Tell me, General Solo. What reason would I have to return to the Empire?"

Han blinked and flinched, backing a few steps. Honesty and pain were permanently etched into Anakin's eyes. This was not the black armored fortress that had watched silently while Han was tortured for no reason and then frozen in carbonite. Everything from the tone of voice to the posture was completely different. It didn’t make sense. He couldn’t account for it.

But somehow, Han knew Anakin was telling the truth. His features twisted with frustration. "So...so how'd he know they were comin'? Major Derlin said the whole thing felt too easy. They were ambushed."

Anakin grimaced. "Emperor Palpatine is very powerful. He probably planted the false intelligence himself to lure the Rebellion here, knowing Luke and Leia would most likely be present.”

Han paled. "So you're tellin' me he'd let the capital fall just to get a couple Rebels?"

The former Sith shuddered. "The greed of the Dark Side knows no limits. When I betrayed him he was driven to find a new, more powerful apprentice. It would be a great satisfaction to him if he turned one or both of my children to the Dark Side...the ultimate revenge." Anakin rubbed his aching eyes, which wanted to cry.

Oh, no. Han shook his head against the news. "No...no, they'd never turn...or join the Empire. Never! They hate it more’n anybody!"

"The same thing was said of me when I was a Jedi," said Anakin sadly. "Fear- especially the fear of loss -can drive a person mad. When someone you love is threatened with death...you'll do anything to save them...even make a pact with evil." His voice broke and he could speak no longer.

Han, equally tortured, waited a moment before speaking again. "What if they don't turn?"

"He'll kill them."

Han wheeled about and began to pace. "Then I can’t just sit here. I gotta find 'em; gotta get ‘em away from that....hey, look-” He turned to Anakin with desperation. “Ya say ya care, then prove it. Got any idea where they are?"

Pushing beyond grief, a slow light rose on Anakin's face as a suppressed memory returned. "Korriban. It was going to be one of his fallback points if Coruscant ever fell. You said yourself he's massing troops there."

Han grimaced. Blast. Korriban was a regular stinger's nest. One of his last missions before the Battle of Coruscant had been reconnaissance to that very planet. He, Chewie, and the Falcon had barely gotten away. "Ya sure?"

"Yes. It feels right."

Han swallowed. He did not want to return to Korriban...but if he didn't, he would never be able to live with himself. "Right. Then I'm goin' after 'em."

Anakin shook his head. "It would be foolish, General Solo. Even if you got past the security in orbit and in the atmosphere, you wouldn't know where on the planet to start looking."

He scowled. “Hey! That's my future wife and brother-in-law we're talkin' about!"

Anakin nodded. "I know. And it's my children." He sighed. "If your mind is made up, then please...will you take me with you? I know the layout of the base and can sense Luke and Leia's presence...and you can't possibly take on Palpatine. He's far too powerful."

Both Han and Sal flinched and stared at Anakin as if he had grown another head.

"Ya want me to do what?" exclaimed Han in disbelief.

"Anakin, you can't," said Sal urgently. "With as much as you've done for them, the Alliance would never let you go. There's too great a danger."

"Yeah, and what makes ya think you can take on the Emperor? You ain't exactly...what ya used to be," reminded Han, looking the man up and down. Vader had seemed invincible. This character looked ready to either snap in half or blow away with a stiff wind.

"I'm not quite as weak as I seem," said Anakin, blue eyes narrowing in determination. "Besides…he has my children. I'll die before I see them fall into darkness as I did."

"And that's exactly what's going to happen to you if you go," sputtered Sal. He gripped Anakin’s arm. “Look...Anakin. I know you want to save your children, and I don’t blame you in the least. But you can’t go. You’ll die.” The medic wasn’t expecting the rising emotion in his voice, but this time he didn’t even bother toning it down.

Anakin turned to the medic. "Lt. Sal, you have been very kind to me these past months, and for that, I'm grateful. But you must understand that if I sit and do nothing I will lose what sanity I have left."

Sal pressed his lips shut and shook his head. "I do understand...I saw what happened when you heard the news. But the Alliance will never allow it. I'm sorry."

Han clamped down on his lip and turned to Anakin. His emotions were in deep conflict. I do not wanna let that guy on the Falcon...but he's right. I need him to find Leia and Luke. He ran a hand through his hair and blew out a hard breath from his nose. "Only way to know is to ask. I'll see what I can do, all right?"

Hope began rising on Anakin's face. Any chance was better than none. He gave Han a single nod of gratitude. "Thank you."

"I'm sorry, General, but the answer is no," rasped Admiral Ackbar.

Han scowled with frustration. He had come into the Rebel Council room to make his pitch. He hadn’t expected much, but the disappointment was still sharp. "Aw, come on! He saved your butts twice now! Ain't that worth anything?"

Mon Mothma nodded gravely. "Of course it is, General Solo. We know very well the contributions of Anakin Skywalker, and we are all grateful. But the one thing we cannot do is let him go."

Han growled softly. "You wouldn't be lettin' him go. Chewie'd keep him in line, and when we found Luke and Leia, we'd bring him back. Ya got my word on that."

"You said yourself how heavily fortified Korriban is," reminded General Madine. "If both of you should be killed or captured, then Princess Leia and Commander Skywalker would be no better off. You might even make things worse."

"General," said Han, his face twisting with emotion as he rose from his seat. "They are gonna die out there!"

"Hey, we don't like it any more than you do," snapped Madine. "Don't think for one minute you're the only one who cares. Luke's done more for us than anyone else, and the Princess-" his throat closed. "If it wasn't for her leadership and motivation, we never would have gotten this far."

"Han, none of us want to lose either Luke or Leia," said Mon Mothma. The agony of this decision was written on her face. "Her accomplishments aside, she's a true and loyal friend to many if not all of us. But you must put yourself in her position. If you were held prisoner by the Emperor, would you want her to risk her life and the lives of others to save you?"

Han scowled. "I can't....I can't let her-" He turned away, shoving his hands in his pockets and blinking back the coming tears. They came anyway and he angrily wiped them away.

Ackbar sighed deeply. "I understand your feelings, General. But this latest battle has strained our resources to their absolute limit. We simply cannot spare the manpower it would take to assault another heavily guarded fortress this soon...and I refuse to send what pilots we have left on a suicide run. The Empire could wipe out not only our lives but the freedom we are working day and night to regain. I believe I can speak for Princess Leia in that she would never want the Rebellion to fall in order to save hers and perhaps even her brother's life." His voice was raspier than usual. This was a difficult decision for him, too.

Han choked with emotion, but nodded. The Alliance was Leia's life. She would rather die than see their mission fail. But I can't lose her! He took a deep, shuddering breath and sniffed, wiping his eyes. "A’right. Fine. I get it. I'll go alone."

Ackbar closed his eyes and shook his head slowly. "I'm sorry, Solo, but we can't let you do that. You're one of the best pilots we have. I'm going to have to order you to stand down."

Han turned and stared each of them in the eye, pain and regret and resolution written on his hard features. "Orders? Orders, hell. I’m done." And he took hold of the rank insignia on his vest, ripped it off, and slammed it on the table before turning and stomping out. He barely heard one or two wish him good luck. Yeah. I’m gonna need all the luck I can get.

Had the Alliance Council known what sort of move he was planning next, they would have swallowed their words. Even Han could hardly believe the places his mind was going. I gotta be crazy, he thought, all but falling against the wall in the turbolift and shaking his head.

Hours after the confrontation with General Solo, long after Sal had finally left and even after the usual lights-off period, the last thing Anakin was expecting was for the lights of his cell to be turned back on at full brightness and four guards to step inside and nudge him from his cot.

Anakin squinted, though he hadn’t been able to sleep anyway. “Is there a problem, gentlemen?”

None too gently did the guards get him up and put binders on him. “Medical transfer. You’re headed back to the Redemption.”

Medical transfer? Anakin blinked in confusion. “For what reason?”

“Some kinda problem with your machines. I dunno the details.”

“At this hour?”

“Medical droid was down. Patients backed up a while. Now, move it.”

Obediently Anakin arched his back away from the unfriendly nudge and followed the guards down the hall, though his confusion was still evident. Bleary blue eyes looked around and felt slight unease when he didn’t see any familiar faces waiting in the lift. “Where is Lieutenant Sal? He always accompanies me.”

A guard on the left scoffed. “Sleeping, probably. His shift ended hours ago.”

Anakin’s discomfort became alarm. Woken in the middle of the night, vague reasons, no Sal… The more time passed, the more he was convinced this had nothing to do with the fact his hearing had been a bit off and everything to do with Solo’s suspicions. Perhaps he had talked the rest of the Alliance into asking questions about Luke and Leia and Palpatine. Boldly he lifted his chin. “What’s this really about? Any medical procedures or exams have always been discussed prior, and a medic- usually Lieutenant Sal -is always present.”

The guards shrugged. Some rolled their eyes. “You always this talkative?” asked one. “Shut up, will you?” added another. “I dunno what the day guards put up with, but you got not business asking this many questions. Sides, how should we know?”

Anakin’s heart began to pound, and he took several deep breaths to slow it. This is it, then. The coincidence of Palpatine capturing my children was too much for the Alliance, and the nice guy act is over. Torture wasn’t officially allowed, but the fact he was without medics meant it couldn’t be ruled out. Anakin closed his eyes, reaching for the Force. Stay calm and continue speaking the truth. Whether or not they believe you is their affair.

A familiar, agitated presence was waiting for the lift in the hangar. Solo? Anakin knit his brows again. Perhaps he thought watching Anakin in pain would be fitting payback for all Vader had put him through. Somehow that didn’t feel right...but then, nothing about this situation did.

Solo was indeed waiting for the lift when it opened, but judging by the intense surprise of the guards, this was not on their schedule.

“What the-” Neither guard could do much more than gape as Solo stunned one guard at point-blank range, then moved with astonishing speed and agility to disarm the rest in the space of a quarter of a minute.

Anakin didn’t help, but didn’t hinder, either. He only stayed out of the way and stared with wide eyes as Han rifled around the guards’ pockets. “While I’m sure anyone else in my position would be grateful-”

Han grunted as he found the keys. “Save it.” He glared into Anakin’s eyes. “We got about a minute ‘fore the alarms start goin’ off, so I’m gonna ask ya once; you can find Luke and Leia, right?”

Between his tone and the wild desperation in his eyes, it wasn’t difficult to figure out what Solo was doing. “Yes. Of that much, I’m certain.” When he saw Han hesitate, he spoke again. “I’ll also give you my word not to harm either you or anyone you care for...though I expect that doesn’t mean much to you.”

Han made a face. “No. But I ain’t got a choice this time.” He stooped down and unlocked the binders, shuddering a little before picking up a pile of clothes near the door and shoving them at Anakin. “Put that on. Might take ‘em longer to stop us if you’re not runnin’ round in a prisoner jumpsuit. And hurry up, will ya?”

Anakin pursed his lips in slight amusement as he hopped into the baggy trousers, boots, and jacket. “I take it you’re disobeying orders, then."

"Ya think?"

“So has the thought of court-martial crossed your mind?”

“Can’t court-martial a civilian. I quit.”

“I see. Well in that case, I imagine there are still penalties for breaking out a notorious prisoner.”

“Don’t care. Like I said...ain’t got a choice.”

Anakin paused to take it in. The love that this man felt for both Luke and Leia was more evident than ever, and Anakin’s throat ached in response. Shrugging on the jacket, he found Solo’s eyes. “There’s always a choice, Solo...a choice each of us has to make…and that’s whether to follow light, or darkness. But thank you.”

Han squirmed and looked away. “Don’t. All I’m probably doin’ is gettin’ both of us killed. Ya ready?”

Anakin nodded. “Let’s go.”

Han made a face as he looked over his frail, strangely garbed companion. Oh, man. I gotta be nuts dragging this old moof milker along! The hairless pate- and of course the breathing tubes - were a dead giveaway. He should have grabbed a helmet or a hood or something else for a better disguise. But there wasn’t any help for it now. “All right. Any funny stuff, an’...” He meant to drop a threat to shoot, but somehow the words wouldn’t come. “C’mon.” And with a pounding heart, he began to lead Anakin across the hangar.

At this hour the guard was light, but not as light as it had been before the bombings months before. About twice as many fleet troopers were stationed at random points around the hangar...one of which stood right in their path. He nodded at Han, already confused. “General. Can’t sleep?”

Han nodded, though his throat was already going dry. “Yeah...” Maybe nobody would recognize Anakin after all. Yeah, and maybe Chewie’s going vegetarian, too.

As if to prove him right, the fleet trooper did a double-take. “And...hello. I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure…?”

Han licked his lips. Damn. He hadn’t come up with an alias for his new sidekick. “Oh...yeah. New guy. Was thinkin’ of takin’ on a second mate...this is, ah….” Come on, think! At a loss, Han turned to Anakin with a nervous chuckle. “Sorry, I’m bad with names. What’s yours again?”

Anakin cringed inwardly at Han’s unpreparedness, but played along. “Ani Lars,” he said, combining his childhood nickname with the name of his stepbrother. He extended his hand in greeting.

The fleet trooper flinched at seeing Anakin’s mechanical hand, but took it anyway. “Nice to meet you...Lars….” His body language said he was wary, and suspected something was off about this ‘new guy’. He wouldn’t know Anakin on sight; at least, that was what Han was banking on. How many had seen Anakin in his non-Vader state, anyway?

As if on cue an alarm went off. “Attention all personnel, attention! Prisoner escape! Repeat, prisoner escape!” And they proceeded to give a detailed description of Anakin, careful with instructions not to kill, but to stun only.

Han couldn’t help but grimace as he nudged Anakin toward the Falcon. “Time to go,” he muttered. When the fleet troopers gave a shout, he cursed loudly and pulled the older man into a run. The ruse was over now. "You better step on it, old man!" He fired his blaster- also on stun -at one of the troopers, who crumpled to the floor. He was surprised at how well Anakin could keep up. The older man raced along, eyes forward and filled with determination.

The loading ramp of the Falcon was already down, and Chewie was waving at them frantically. Han's feet pounded up the ramp and he was startled to discover Anakin almost overtaking him. Han immediately slapped the door controls to shut them and barreled toward the cockpit. Chewie ran in close pursuit. Not knowing where else to go, Anakin brought up the rear.

"C'mon Chewie, let's get outta here," muttered Han as he sat down in the pilot's seat and flipped switches to begin takeoff procedures.

Chewie grunted in protest, throwing a pointed glance at Anakin. He was asking if Han was sure this was a good idea.

"Nope." Han glanced back at their passenger. "Better strap in. I may have to do some fancy flyin'."

Anakin nodded and hurried out of the cockpit into the main hold.

They took off quickly and made a beeline for the edge of Coruscanti space. The ship rattled with warning laser fire. Chewie howled with alarm.

"I know they're firin at us!" exclaimed Han, hurriedly setting course for Korriban. "Just keep an eye on the rear deflectors."

"Captain Solo, what do you think are you doing?" Demanded Admiral Ackbar over the commlink.

"Can't rescue em without some inside info. I'll bring him back, all right?" He cringed at what even he knew was a lame excuse.

"Solo, I don't want to have to order your ship disabled, but if you don't turn back now-"

Han switched off the channel. "Sorry, Admiral. You all set, Chewie?"

Chewbacca grunted an affirmative.

Han blew out a hard breath and reached for the hyperdrive throttle. He had just facilitated the escape of the most high-profile prisoner in Alliance history, smuggled him onto his ship, taken fire from Alliance members, and was headed across the galaxy in an attempt to rescue his fiancee and brother in law from the epitome of evil. If I live through this, Leia’s gonna kill me.

Stars stretched into starlines, and the Millennium Falcon leapt to hyperspace, bound for Korriban.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= =D= I love Han in this, no duh. [face_love] His love and determination are marvelously in character. The dilemma and heartache felt by the Alliance Council was very well detailed also.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  22. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Loved this chapter. Also I surprised myself with how much none of it surprised me at all.

And yup, Sal finally admitted that he cares what happens to Anakin.

Also I suspect that somehow Han and Anakin may come out of this adventure as frenemies.

23. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Again, thank you sooooo much for your kind words! [:D] I'm so glad to be getting the tone right for these characters.

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Welcome back! And as far as Han and Anakin go....they do have the same motivations and a few things in common, so....;)

Just a quick warning, this chapter is a little intense, and the next few are only going to get worse....[face_nail_biting]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Leia paced in a circle in her quarters, so far beyond agitation that sleep was impossible. She wasn’t used to being in a bad situation and not being able to do anything but stand and wring her hands. She was the kind of woman who preferred action. But here she could do nothing. So, despite being hit with a fatigue deeper than any she’d ever known, she wound up pacing, trying to burn off her nerves.

The journey to Korriban from Coruscant had taken a good five days. In that time Emperor Palpatine had not given either sibling a moment’s peace.

Well...to be fair, Leia had gotten fewer visits from Palaptine than Luke had. It was eerie the unthreatening manner he presented when with the Princess. He was quiet, rational, and provided for every need. And she had been put on a schedule.

Lights could be turned on or off at will, but a small blinking chronometer always went off at 0600 every morning. Breakfast followed at 0700. Meals were brought three times a day, and not just the usual prisoner rations. It was real food, and what little Leia had eaten had tasted very good. This wasn't usually much, owing to both her near-constant nausea. She only ate enough to keep her going.

After breakfast, the Emperor would show up and hold a conversation with her, calmly explaining why the Empire was in the right and the Rebellion was in the wrong. Any protest had an answer that, when taken at face value, seemed perfectly logical. Leia’s emotions wanted to argue long and hard- and often she did -but it was exhausting. These conversations could take anywhere from one to three hours, and left Leia feeling so drained she usually took a nap before lunch. She sensed Luke’s pain rise and fall not long after Palpatine left, and his distress gave her further indigestion. Several times, a terrible feeling of hopelessness would descend, and fighting seemed useless. Unnerving as these feelings were, what worried Leia most was Luke.

As was promised, Palpatine allowed the brother and sister about an hours’ time with each other every day in the early afternoon. But they could never be alone. There were always at least two stormtroopers in the room, as well as the two usual Royal Guards. And Palpatine always stayed in the room, standing near a corner quietly leering like a spider sizing up his prey. That kept them from speaking freely about anything, so their conversations were limited. Luke was usually groggy and in pain, and that didn’t help.

Seeing and sensing her brother suffer was worse than being tortured herself...and Leia was sure that was what was happening with Luke. She could sense his pain from her room, and it was infuriating not being able to help him. Worse, since coming to Korriban, their quarters were moved further apart, making telepathy difficult if not impossible.

After the visit with Luke, Leia would be escorted back to her quarters by Palaptine himself, who acted as if he cared about the two of them and only wanted to help. Leia always wound up snapping at him to shut up, and that if he honestly did care about them, he would leave Luke alone and let them go. The Emperor always smiled when Leia got angry. It seemed to fuel him, which only made Leia all the angrier.

36 hours had passed now since their arrival on Korriban, and already she felt as if she was going mad.

We have to get out of here...we have to get out of here...we have to get out of here...it had become a familiar refrain in Leia’s mind. But how? They were trapped. Stormtroopers guarded them night and day. No one in the Rebellion knew where they were, nor did they have the resources to mount a rescue attempt. She and Luke were on their own.

Leia suddenly stopped midstride, an idea beginning to form. Palpatine had taken such great care to see that her medical needs were provided for. Her burned face had healed some days ago, but the medical droid was supposedly on call. I wonder...turning toward the door and the two troopers she could still sense outside, she crookedly called over a chair with the Force, then kicked it over. “OW!” she cried as loud as she could, then draped herself over it in an awkward manner before pinching the skin around her wrist to make it start changing color. The stage was set.

As expected, the troopers pushed the outside intercom. “What’s going on in there?” one of them barked.

Good. I got their attention. Leia answered with another yelp. “Someone...help! Please!”

After a long pause, the door slide open and the troopers came in, cautious. “What happened?”

Leia made a show of carefully crawling out of her awkward position, favoring her left wrist. “I was headed to get some water and...tripped.” Dramatic wince. “Oh, I think it’s broken.”

The troopers regarded each other before finally lowering their blasters. One of them holstered his and approached. “Let me see.” His tone was still full of suspicion as Leia held out her wrist for examination. He took it, none too gently, and yanked back her sleeve to peer at the now-forming bruises, ignoring Leia’s cries.

His partner nudged him. “Hey. You better be careful with her.”

“What for? She’s a Rebel,” he said in disgust.

“But the Emperor gave us orders. She’s supposed to be taken care of,” the other hissed urgently.

The first trooper looked from his partner to Leia, then released her wrist. “Yeah, all right.” He turned back to Leia. “Go sit down. We’ll get a medical droid in here for you.”

Leia nodded with appropriate relief. “Thank you.” She eyed the open door, but made herself wait for the medial droid. Even if this crazy plan worked, she couldn’t just make a break for it. She’d need something for Luke to wake him up and help him walk.

Please let this work, she prayed as she waited.

Luke slept. It had become the only point of his daily existence he truly looked forward to anymore. The rest of his life was nothing but pain, worry, and a constant struggle against the Dark Side.

At random periods throughout the day, the Sith would come to Luke and fill his ears with lies. Most concerned Anakin and Leia; they spoke of Anakin’s mental instability, of Leia’s willingness to bend, and of Luke’s inevitable turn. It was in the Skywalker blood, Palpatine said, to embrace the Dark Side. Why would Luke not turn and make things easier on himself and his sister? Luke always refused, calling on the Force for strength and clarity. When impatience became rage, the torture began.

Luke had been expecting interrogation and torture, but he hadn’t quite imagined something so painful. Palpatine had control of the Force in that he could shoot concentrated streams of purplish electricity from his fingertips at whatever target he wanted...in this case, Luke. Sometimes it lasted minutes, sometimes up to an hour, but it always left the young Jedi in utter agony.

At first Luke had tried to fight back. He had fled as well as he could with a useless leg, hopping on one foot at times and trying to duck. He tried to shield himself with the Force or push the aged apparition away. But it never worked. The lightning always found its target, and sooner or later Luke would collapse to the floor and writhe about, screaming. The Emperor seemed to take a twisted glee in this, and even cackled at times. Once the torture began it would not stop until Luke could do nothing but lie on the floor and moan, limbs twitching uncontrollably. Only then did Palpatine leave.

Some time later, sometimes hours, a medical droid would be sent in, followed by Troopers who would haul the limp Jedi up by his arms and all but toss him onto the cot. Then the medical droid would treat him without a word, pumping him full of electrolytes, nutrients, and anti-convulsants. To finish his leg was plunged into a small tub of bacta up to the knee and left there for an hour or two. And then the droid and the troopers would leave.

The whole process was exhausting. Luke was left with no energy and could hardly even roll out of bed to drag himself to the refresher when needed. He spent any time not in the sweet escape of unconsciousness meditating, trying desperately to build up his mental and emotional strength, and not just for himself...for Leia.

The twins had barely seen each other since their first day as captives. Thanks to his exhaustion any telepathy was limited, but from what he had heard Leia’s treatment had been the polar opposite of his. According to her, Palpatine was apparently trying to effect a grandfatherly manner with her. He used reason and logic- his own twisted brand -to try and convince her to leave the Rebellion behind. In addition, her overall treatment was better. While Luke’s quarters held nothing but a cot and a refresher unit, Leia’s was fully outfitted with carpets, a desk, a table, chairs, even a closet and food prep unit. Medical care was provided as needed, and the troopers stayed outside.

Luke’s treatment- and the sick feeling Leia had when Palpatine was near -was the only thing amiss...but it was more than enough to keep her alert and on her toes. Their visits were far too brief and too closely watched for them to speak openly, but even those brought some comfort. Once or twice Luke had woken from a fitful sleep to find Leia sitting with him, her touch gentle and her gaze full of worry. Since they had to guard their words the Force had to speak for them. Luke could sense Leia’s concern and confusion growing by the day. He felt that part of her wanted to believe Palpatine and just stop fighting. She hadn’t been sleeping well and spent most of her energy worrying about her brother.

Luke was worried, too. Leia wasn’t a fool and could see through Palpatine’s lies, but something else troubled her...something she wouldn’t or couldn’t discuss. Most distressing of all, her anger had not lessened. If anything it had grown into a seething, burning hatred. Luke knew it wouldn’t take much now to tip his sister over the edge.

Arrival on Korriban had been an event in and of itself. Luke and Leia were marched out separately in front of an entire legion of stormtroopers with Palpatine at the head, apparently gloating over his victory. Leia seethed the entire time at being paraded around. If it had been possible, her withering stare would have reduced the Emperor and his followers to piles of ash. Once inside the twins were once again housed separately in relatively comfortable quarters...but whereas they had been next door to each other aboard the star destroyer, their rooms here were much father apart. Perhaps Palpatine had sensed their mental communication and was trying to put a stop to it.

Something startled Luke out of his slumber and he woke to find Leia once again sitting with him, parked on the edge of his bed with his head in her lap.

“Shh,” whispered Leia, gently touching his shoulder.

“Leia...” Luke lifted his head and let his blue eyes rove around the room. Palpatine and his entourage were nowhere in sight, nor did the Force declare them anywhere near. Odd, but welcome. This was the first time the Emperor had let them be alone. But why?

“It’s all right. He’s not here. It’s just me,” assured Leia, rubbing his shoulder.

Luke pushed up with a wince. “What are you doing here?”

Leia pursed her lips, glancing around. “We’re getting out of here. Now.”

“What?” Luke, still groggy, was confused.

“Hold still; this should help you wake up a little.” Leia administered the stim shot quickly. “There. That shouldn’t take more than a minute to kick in.”

Luke rubbed his arm, brows knit. The stimulant worked fast. “Leia, how? How did you get out?”

“Well, since Palpatine decided to have his imperials wait on me hand and foot, I decided to take advantage of that and fake a broken wrist. As soon as the medical droid got there I stole a blaster, took out the troopers, and blasted the droid before snagging the medic-kit,” explained Leia. She glanced around, nerves dancing. “Speaking of which, I don’t know how much time we have. Can you stand?”

“Maybe...” Luke pushed uncertainly to his feet and found his legs throbbing the minute he put weight on them; not from the break, but the torture. They trembled and barely held him up.

"Easy,” cautioned Leia, supporting him. She pressed her lips together as she looked over her brother and found unwelcome tears pushing at her eyes. He wasn’t looking very well. Leia could feel his ribs as she held him up. His muscles were also experiencing random tremors, lasting anywhere from a second to a full minute. “What have they been doing to you?”

Luke shuddered. “Well...they haven’t been nice.”

“Have they even fed you?”

“Not really.” When Luke felt Leia’s anger surge, he looked at her. “Don’t. I’m all right. While I haven’t had any food, they’re at least keeping me hydrated and shooting me full of some sort of vitamin mixture. I’ve got another couple of weeks before I starve. Besides...I don’t think the Emperor wants us dead. At least not yet. Healthy bodies are worth more to him than corpses.”

Leia shook her head, glowering. “Well, I’m not going to let that happen. We’re getting out of here. Now.” she noted Luke was a little steadier on his feet now, so paused to look at him. “Can you walk?”

Luke nodded slowly. His leg, thanks to daily bacta treatments, was doing pretty good apart from a nagging, achy tingling sensation. It was like his leg was permanently ‘asleep’ and refused to wake up. “I think so.” They began an awkward shuffle-limp out the door. Luke frowned at the motionless troopers outside. “Where are the rest of them? I’ve sensed at least four at any other time.”

The idea gave Leia pause. While her senses weren’t as attuned as her brother’s she was pretty sure she’d had the same arrangement outside her room. “Maybe...maybe they’re running shifts tonight.”

Luke shook his head, empty stomach twisting. The further they continued down the hall with no resistance and no alarms, the worse the twisting got. Soon he sensed the same thing from Leia. “I have a bad feeling about this,” he muttered.

“Hush up,” scolded Leia, pressing her lips together with nerves as they came to a fork. “Which way to the hangar?”

“Leia...” Luke turned cautiously toward his sister. “This was a mistake. We should go back.”

“No!” cried Leia, half in anger and half in urgency. “I’m not going to let him hurt you anymore.” She looked from one hall to another and finally picked the left. “It’s this way. I remember when we landed. Come on,” she urged, all but dragging him along.

“Leia, wait,” urged Luke. He could barely keep up with her with his hobble. “Stop. It’s too easy. It’s got to be another trap.” When Leia didn’t slow, he shook his head. “He’s testing you, Leia. You’re playing right into his hands!” When Leia shook her own head in response, he dug his floppy heels into the floor. “Leia, stop!”

Leia hauled him forward. “What’s the matter with you? We’ve got to get out of here!”

Luke couldn’t voice another protest before they rounded the corner to the hangar. The wave of cold hit him like a wall, and the next moment, the hangar door slid open to reveal none other than Palpatine himself, flanked by a pair of guards and backed by about a dozen stormtroopers.

“Your Highness. Whatever are you doing?” the Emperor asked with mock surprise. “I must say, I’m surprised at you. Dragging your poor wounded brother around in the middle of the night.” He shook his head. “A woman of your intelligence should know better.”

Leia all but leapt backwards, trembling and feeling incredibly foolish. He’s right, came a thought. You woke Luke up while he was resting, and then you didn’t listen when he told you it was a trap. Emotion choked her, and she turned apologetically to Luke. “Luke...I’m so sorry-”

Luke said nothing, but sighed heavily and let his head drop to his chest. He made no move to resist when a pair of troopers came on either side and hauled him up by his arms to take him back to his room.

“No...no, wait,” begged Leia, trying to follow but held back by another pair of troopers. “Don’t hurt him! Please!”

“My, my,” said Palpatine in a singsong voice. “Such fear you have. I wonder, what is it that made you disturb your brother's sleep? You intended perhaps to steal a ship and make your escape?”

How could he know that? Leia couldn't keep the shock off her face as her stolen blaster was pried from her hand.

“Have I not told you, child, you’ve nothing to fear from me?” said Palpatine, spreading his hands.

“You’re hurting Luke...torturing him!” Hot tears of anger spilled onto Leia’s cheeks. “I know you are!”

“My dear Princess, I have done no such thing.” Palpatine sighed in mock sympathy, then waved his troopers away. “Escort her Highness back to her quarters. Lack of sleep has clearly made her delirious.”

“Liar...you’re lying!” Leia’s anger made her voice rise to a shout as the troopers all but dragged her away. “You’re lying!” Before she rounded the corner, she caught a gloating, sickening smile rise on the Emperor’s face, and his voice spoke into her mind.

I have you now, it said. Your anger has spoken for you. Soon, both you and your brother will be mine. I have foreseen it.

Leia yelped and plastered her hands ineffectively against her ears. Get out of my head, you monster!

No sooner had she been dumped unceremoniously into her room than a mental cry from Luke touched her mind. Leia rose, urgently calling out to him. “Luke! I’m sorry, you’re right, I should have listened-”

These thoughts were interrupted by another round of horrible pain, emanating from Luke in waves. Leia could practically hear his screams in her mind.

Luke!” Leia wheeled about and slammed on the locked door with her fists, wishing she could rip through them and run back to her brother. This is my fault, she thought. I’ve just made things worse! The brokenhearted Princess then slowly slid to the floor, giving herself to the sobs that followed.

I’m sorry, Luke. I’m so sorry!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    AzureAngel2 and Zer0 like this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: Of course Leia has a plan and it seems to work; she cannot sit idly by and let things continue. But od ear! To have a clever plan/strategy get turned into a steel trap! =D=

25. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Great chapter. Just waiting for Anakin to charge in and crash Palpatines party though.