main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Troubled Teen Industry

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Nov 10, 2017.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Sometimes parents put their unwilling teenagers in "troubled teen" centers. Officially, it began as way to punish teenagers for doing drugs, but in reality, the actual reason is to punish LGBT teenagers. "Troubled teen" centers are extremely cruel and often are violent and sexually abusive. Individual "troubled teen" centers have been shut down, but they always reopen under another name. What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.cracked.com/personal-exp...-realities-secret-troubled-teen-industry.html

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jm5ng4/the-legal-industry-for-kidnapping-teens

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My thoughts on it are not TOS-friendly.

I posted an article about one of them a couple of years ago, probably in the Homosexuality thread. I’ll have to see if I can find it.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, they're awful, and not nearly enough people know it. We just need a lot more awareness. People need to know what these places really are, who runs them, and what goes on there.

I'm not sure how these kids deal, how they survive it. I don't know how they accept the loss of freedom, the abandonment and the authority of strangers who clearly don't know what the **** they're doing or talking about. I know I would have gotten violent and criminal really fast.

Sympathy goes out to them, because they're going through hell rather needlessly.

4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    These are indeed horrible places . . . on of my sisters was packed off to one in the early 90's. She once had to stand in the corner for 5 hours for playing with her cup at lunch. Some seriously, seriously ****ed-up people run these things.

Edit--oh, and she was apparently magically cured of everything they said she had once the school had gobbled up all her insurance benefits. If she'd had more generous insurance, I'm sure they would have kept her for years.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm sick of those places. Some people who try to fix people exact further harm. There are some good videos about narcissistic mothers and fathers and how they hurt their kids. I think there are narcissistic professionals out there in schools and in these centers. Case in point would be some people I've mentioned from churches.

People who try to convert gay people into straight people are barbaric. That needs to be outlawed across the broad. I'm sure as soon as they prove the trans gene, which will back up the brain science already discovered, they will try to forcibly convert trans kids. It's utter nonsense.

Still, I think these places are a recipe for all troubled adolescents. It doesn't matter who they are. I can honestly speak about good people I knew growing up who were hurt psychologically by certain staff in schools. (I'm not talking teachers in this case, since most of my small high school's teachers were outstanding.)

As for kidnapping kids, we ought to file that under human trafficking. That is a pandemic as far as I'm concerned. We need a human trafficking thread on here. Kidnapping in any shape or form is a horror.

I would say that many LGBTQI Americans feel like they are trafficked when people do not trust them, when they abuse them, and when they try to relegate them to something they are not. It may not be physical trafficking, but it is trafficking of the mind.

However, I would recommend Stolen (book) if you wish to research trafficking in the US. Jimmy Carter has had plenty to say about it, too. We already suffer enough loss of innocence in this country. We should build a better world for our kids. As the US declines, we should take our kids' humanity and welfare into consideration.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Troubled Teen Industry is largely a creation of Mel Sembler, a major Republican financer for neoconservatism and the War on Drugs. He was an ambassador under both Bushes, RNC finance chair, and one of Scooter Libby's defense lawyers.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    is this an American thing?

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The places are located in America and countries south of America in the Western Hemisphere. The owners and patients are American. It started in Florida.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yeah I read the description and was unaware of anything like that here. Feels like the nasty spectre of evangelicalism hangs over it.

heels1785 and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    When "troubled teens" are physically and sexually abused, it tends to get overlooked because society doesn't care what happens to people it deemed bad. The kids Jerry Sandusky molested? They were in his troubled youth program.

heels1785 and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Disadvantaged people of any stripe are always a target for this type of activity because their lack of independence creates opportunity of grooming and their lack of powers means crimes against them are relatively likely to be overlooked, yes.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In this case, it's the parents who are being groomed. The parents pay these places to to kidnap their kids in the middle of the night.

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    It all balances out when the time comes for the troubled teens to pick their parents care home.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    They seem to pander to people who would be at home in Saudi Arabia aside from their preference for crosses over moons.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Spay the gay away?