main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Truce at Bakura," by Kathy Tyers [Bantam, 1993]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"The Truce at Bakura," by Kathy Tyers [Bantam, 1993]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

14.0%
  2. 9

5.4%
  3. 8

23.7%
  4. 7

24.7%
  5. 6 (Average)

8.6%
  6. 5 (Average)

4.3%
  7. 4

7.5%
  8. 3

1.1%
  9. 2

3.2%
  10. 1 (Poor)

7.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpatoon

Palpatoon Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2004

I really liked this book, mainly because of one unusual trait in a Star Wars-book: It was thoroughly scary from time to time. It seems that a lot of people didn't like the Ssi-ruuk, but I loved them. They were cold, manipulative and really a thorough creation. The entechment must've been the scariest thing I've ever seen in a Star Wars-novel, combined with the brainwashed Dev Sibwarra.
    Speaking of Dev, did anyone notice his likeness to Kyp Durron? I felt that the young, mentally warped Force user resembled Kyp in many ways. However, Kathy Tyers manages to strike a cord of sympathy in the reader for Dev, something that KJA didn't do. I really felt sorry for Dev.

I also liked the creation of Bakure, a very nuanced world which Tyers draws up beautifully. I loved their hatred of droids and their habit to install repulsors on every bit of furniture. I also liked seeing their senate, and especially how we got to see why some people liked the Empire (something that's missing from a lot of books: a positive view of the Empire that isn't from a deranged military man).

Of course, there are some downsides to this book. For starters, the book just wasn't interesting in the beginning. It kind of dragged on for over fifty pages. It also contained some real confusing writing. For example, the description of what Wedge was trying to do with those crystals in the beginning, how he did it and why he did it, was a bit vague. It was a very weird situation that was hard to get.
    A similar thing happened in the first battle when the Alliance arrived at Bakura. It was confusing and you never had a mental image of what was going on. The writing was also a bit dull at that moment.

Leia's dealing with Vader was a bit of a disappointment to me. He only appeared one time with a very weird dialogue - think about it. He starts of by leaving a message for Luke (tell him yourself, you translucent blob of ectoplasm!), and then continues by saing:

"Leia, do not fear me. I am forgiven, but I have much that I wish to atone for. I must clear your heart and your mind of anger. Anger is the dark side, too."

Oooookay. His side of the conversation was not beliavable. For one thing, I would be much more nervous if I tried to beg forgiveness of someone I'd tortured. But here he is, speaking like a dictionary! That was just stupid.

And finally, I accidentally picked up the one with the ugly cover. Instead of the nifty handshake on the front, it has the text "AS RETURN OF THE JEDI ENDS, AN EXCITING NEW SAGA BEGINS... THE TRUCE AT BAKURA". And, to top it off, instead of having the title in the box under the Star Wars-logo, it's got the text "THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES". What an insult to Drew Struzan's lovely artwork!

2. WWE_jedi

WWE_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    MasterKingsama what are u talking about? The Ssi-ruuk were a dominat speacies. They lived in the unknown regoins. Only Thrawn (who was still there during the book) knew of them. This book was definatly a mini yuzan vong group. Kathy Tyres, along with some other writers, built the base for the NJO with there books Kevin J. Anderson's was Darksaber. Kathy Tyres's was Truce at Bakura.

3. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    It was good, it was a look into the Star Wars universe, but it wasn't quite as spectacular as the originals or the Thrawn Trilogy.
    Some of the ideas and concepts in this book are very interesting and cool, but not always in depth. Also, it really does fill in gaps after RotJ and lifts a little of the ache you get after watching the end of the trilogy.
    So, 6.5 - 7 pretty good.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Upping by request.

5. jbrewste

jbrewste Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2007
    7/10
    Just an average book for me. (Although I guess 7 is a little above.) There were several slow points in the book for me. I had to push myself several times to keep reading just to get through them.
    I liked the idea of the book, though, with a far-away imperial planet not knowing what's really going on with the empire and them having to unite with the alliance over a common enemy.
    I didn't have that big of a problem with the Ssi Ruuk in the beginning. Although, it seems reptiles are popular as Sci-Fi villians. I didn't like how they were so cowardly at the end. I understand the whole, soul roams the galaxy if killed away from home thing. I actually liked that little fact about them. But in the ending battle, I felt they weren't as strong as they appeared, ala Wizard of Oz or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.