main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Two Canon Club. Accepting 2 versions of SW.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Uncivilized, Sep 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    After years of frustration caused by Disney I have accepted that two canons exist. I decided to reconcile Old Canon with New Canon by accepting that Disney simply rebooted the entire story just as super-hero comics tend to do. Nothing lasts forever. I have one book shelf with the Old Canon and one with the New Canon. FYI, my Old Canon consists of adult novelizations, comics and movies EP 1-6.

Anything with Ahsoka Tano including the TCW animation is included in the New Canon only. This makes the Clone Wars easier to deal with and removes all of those annoying contradictions IMHO.

So as far as I'm concerned the Old Canon is a closed story beginning with TOR and ending with Fate of the Jedi. I have been collecting the books since the early 90's and I have no problem with the fresh start that Disney has injected into the story.

I'm curious to see if anyone out there feels the same way I do. Let me know...

2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    You're talking about the One Canon. Paging Dr Sinrebirth. Dr Sinrebirth, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

Mitth_Fisto and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. Uncivilized

May 8, 2015
    Sorry to disappoint you but the One Canon club attempts to merge the old with new. The idea here is to accept that two separate versions of the story exists. Something many EU fans seem to be struggling with.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  4. Uncivilized

May 8, 2015
    I think you misunderstand. The One Canon club attempts to merge the old with new. The idea here is to accept that two separate versions of the story exist. Something many EU fans seem to be struggling with.

5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Kay... neat.
    I don't believe in two canons. I believe in multiple AUs existing in a multiverse. For example:
    Timeline A: Galactic Civil War ends in 19 ABY with a peace treaty and the Empire's continued existence.
    Timeline B: Galactic Civil War ends with the treaty of Versailles and the eventual rise of the First Order.
    Timeline C: Galactic Civil War ends with the Death Star plummeting onto Coruscant and the Emperor's unfortunate head.
    And so on.
    So what would happen is everything prior to the defined "split" would be canon to the two timelines in question. In Timeline C the clearly defined "split" from timeline A is 0 ABY, so everything prior to that date is canon to both timelines. KOTOR, TOR, Knight Errant, Clone Wars- it all happens within both timelines.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and kalzeth like this.
  6. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Ah, I did misunderstand. A reasonable POV.

Sent using Tapatalk this was.

7. Uncivilized

May 8, 2015

Multiple AUs need to exist starting at EP1. Disney has already stepped on every era from that point on. But I see what you are doing. Multiple canons for each era. The problem I see is that there will be contradictions between books that exist in different eras. Leia, princess of Alderann for example sets up events in the New Republic era that can only exist in one AU. It just gets confusing. The Two Canon method is much cleaner in my opinion.

8. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Is there an AU around episode 1? And yes, it isn't clean. A lot gets chopped out but I prefer it to having everything separated.

9. Uncivilized

May 8, 2015

Marvel has released the Darth Maul miniseries and the Obiwan & Anakin miniseries. I haven't read them yet but it's safe to assume there are some contradictions.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    There are various AU's around the Infinities stories. So we have about a dozen stories.

And even then, Jacen changed time in Legends so it's an alternate timeline from the original anyway. Abeloth escaped four times. And time changed every time she did. Seemingly Legends had four alternate timelines.

If you cut out TCW, you have to cut out the Last Jedi which references the New Mandalorians, cut out Fate of the Jedi which references Mortis, and generally anything with Ahsoka references too it.

And what happens in the Old Canon with the Legacy comics and One Sith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCCViking and DarthIshyZ like this.
  11. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I am so glad to see this thread. I've seen a lot of negativity and outright rejection of the new Canon from fans of what is now considered Legends in various threads recently and it was sad to see.

I've read most of the Legends Novels and some of the new Canon comics /novels (though I have fallen behind a bit on the novels recently) and as long as they're good stories set in the Star Wars Galaxy then I like them. Whether they're Canon or not has no effect on my enjoyment of the stories.

I accept that both Canons are very different to each other and I love them both equally.

12. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    This is where I belong, not trying to unify, not trying to blend just accepting two timelines.

Sent from X Wing in Deep space.

13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    A multiverse is a fine compromise if you ask me, however I wonder is the force or its will the same in each timeline?

14. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Darth Invictus
    In the TFU2 Dark Side timeline Luke, Leia and Vader all die. Is that the will of the force? In the Battlefront 2 Dark Reign Of The Empire timeline the Empire seemingly crushes the rebellion. Either these things balance out in the end or the Will is fundamentally different in these timelines.

15. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016

Perhaps after all the force has an eternity.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  16. Uncivilized

May 8, 2015

Infinities isn't really important to me. Anything that is a major contradiction to the overall story I automatically catalog as Infinities. There has always been minor continuity issues in the Old Canon. Something I hope Disney does a better job at preventing. Any alternate timelines that occurred in Legends is meaningless to the New Canon if it is kept separate.

I have not read every book including Last Jedi and everything after the NJO. What is the context of the reference to the New Mandalorians and to Mortis? I feel it doesn't really hurt the story if something that has never been explained is referenced out of the blue. EP4 is a prime example. That movie referenced many things that weren't explained until later on. Other than the Clone Wars series I don't recall any other references to Ahsoka in the Old Canon. I'm curious to know if I missed something.

I have not read the Legacy comics. At the moment I consider them part of the Old Canon. Is there a contradiction with the One Sith that I'm not aware of?

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Fate of the Jedi, with Abeloth, references Mortis, which is from the Clone Wars series. So it's very important.

The Last Jedi knits together the Dathomiri witches between Clone Wars and Courtship of Princess Leia, and dabbles in merging the New Mandalorian history with the Armoured Mandalorians.

As to the One Sith there is no contradiction, but you specifically ended old Canon at FotJ - and the One Sith don't get resolved until Legacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I definitely agree that it is best to accept the two canons. I spent twenty years enjoying the old EU and, initially, struggled to accept the Disney reboot. That said, after watching TFA and getting to grips with the scope of what Disney had planned, I changed my mind.

I am now glad that there was a reboot. I also accept that it was inevitable. There was no way that Disney were going to work plotlines around stories in the old EU. Now we have been able to start again with a blank slate. We can also rest assured that new books are absolutely canon and have approval from the story group. We should no longer have to worry about contradictions between the new canon and future films.

I am glad that the old EU has continued to exist in the form of Legends. Really, the old EU hasn't gone anywhere and can still be enjoyed for what it is. There's still plenty in Legends that I haven't yet enjoyed and I still plan to chip away at it over the coming years. I would also hope that some new books could be published under the Legends banner (though I realise that this is less than likely).

19. Uncivilized

May 8, 2015

It always bugged me that Lucas didn't seem to take the EU very seriously. He never seemed to truly embrace it.

They may release some books as alternate timelines for novelty reasons but I don't expect them to spend their energy on the Old Canon.

20. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017

I agree with this. I felt that Lucas ought to have either wholly committed to the old EU or simply declared it completely non-canon. The Clone Wars offered proof that he had no trouble trampling over old EU canon. Now, we have a guarantee that every novel and comic book printed under the Star Wars label is canon.

I am, of course, keenly aware that the new canon is in its infancy. As the new canon continues to grow and stretch over a bigger timeline, it will inevitably come into conflict with a future director's plans for the latest Star Wars film. It will be interesting to see how such a conflict is handled.

I also agree that we are unlikely to get much, if anything, in the way of new Legends material. I think that it might be considered too confusing for the readership.

21. I like the two canons

both have very good and bad things for now I'm staying with Legends and I hope the new canon gets better because for now I like it very little

Tython Awakening and kalzeth like this.
  22. Uncivilized

May 8, 2015

I find the bad things in the Old Canon harder to swallow and more extreme than anything bad that might exist in the New Canon.

23. In the new canon there are also many bad things

Tython Awakening and kalzeth like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I've got a list of about 60 timelines at the moment.
    All versions of the OT and PT, previous drafts of the movies, the novelizations, the EU, the NEU, alternate game endings, Infinities comics, Lego games, the Shakespeare books, and other things.
    Combining the different versions of the OT, PT, EU, TCW, etc is being worked on.

25. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Force Smuggler
    I wouldn't mind you making a thread for that when you're finished. ;)

26. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably won't ever be done. I will post what I have so far, later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.