main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Dyson didn't move within the EU - they moved to Singapore (head office) and Malaysia (manufacturing). So I'm not sure how much of a factor Brexit was - probably more the cost of manufacturing in the UK where wages are higher.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Singapore has as part of the trading bloc it is with a trade agreement with the EU

Which as of the 29th of March the UK no longer will.

Also, Dyson is a massive supporter of Brexit and yet has taken part of his own company out of the UK to a country with a trade agreement with the EU, almost as if he felt that Brexit would impact on his businesses profitability.

That and he's a massive hypocrite as a result of his utter dick move.

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    First two for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'd concede embarrassing, but they're pretty competent and far from insane, especially considering the competition.

Speaking as a former professional cleaner, his vacuum cleaners are gimmicky, prone to breaking/unscheduled disassembly, and utterly useless compared to a Henry or Vax. Save your money and buy something that can actually lift dust off a carpet.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  5. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    We rather like our Dyson cordless, much to my minor annoyance.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've read that the Dysons are crap for picking up pet hairs. I have a Vax - been pretty happy with it. I'd get the brand again.

V-2 and Lordban like this.
  7. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Does a good enough job on our rug and the neverending amount of fur coming from our cat. Maybe we're just lucky.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Either that or you got the Animal model which is designed to handle pet hair. I remember the regular models got bad reviews in that area when they first came out. (I had pets at the time).

9. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    It might well be.

In other non-Brexit, non-Labour, non-vacuum cleaner news, I really don't know what to make of this whole ISIS school girl thing.

V-2 likes this.
  10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    We've got two Dyson vacuum cleaners, actually - a normal big one, and a small cordless hand-held one for things like stairs and car and picking up cobwebs from nooks and crannies (we get a lot of spiders in the summer...). Both work fine.

In our defence, both were purchased before the referendum and before we knew that Dyson was a Brexiteers ****.

Jedi Ben, Alpha-Red and Lordban like this.
  11. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I'm not sure there's much of worth to make of it without knowing the particulars, and the particulars are precisely what due respect for a person's privacy means we should never know.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Technically she could probably be charged with treason - giving aid and comfort to the enemy. If she does come back she should be detained. Given the 'great' job her parents did of raising her I don't think the child should be anywhere near that family.

13. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    ISIS were never our enemy in a legal sense though, they're not a nation state and there's never been a declaration of war.

14. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Daech (it's their own acronym in the roman alphabet, but they abandoned it when they realized it was one inflection from the Arab word for discord, giving all the more motivation to use it) was absolutely a state in the formal sense, although it went mostly unrecognized, and that plus a bit of sophistry allowed for full scale military interventions without the need to declare states of war. The diplomatic and political ramifications terrified our western states; you only need remember the backlash against us when our prime minister explicitly declared a state of war existed between France and Daech (which it didn't in the legal sense since you can't declare war on an unrecognized state).

That aside, I don't know how many of you have spent much time living in districts where Muslims were the majority. I did for thirteen years between 2002 and 2018 (there were a couple of hiatuses), and it was ample enough time to see the parents had not much to do with the embrace of conspiracy theories from a very young age - and by "very young", I mean "why the hell am on the bus I hearing 11 year-olds explaining that the terrorist who was just besieged and shot down yesterday was 'acting under orders of the French secret services to give Muslims bad press before they stabbed him in the back and proved the <racist names for the French> can be trusted' " (they were talking about Mohamed Merah, for those who want to bother looking this murderer of his own "infidel" kin and of Jewish primary school and preschool age children). Source? The Internet, where else?

11 year olds, excusing murder as a conspiracy, without parental involvement needed. The year was 2012. And considering how many teenagers left my hometown to join Daech in the following years, I wouldn't be too surprised if one or two of them had made the attempt, and if not them, their slightly older siblings.

darthdrago likes this.
  15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I've just discovered this:

It's quite possibly the best thing ever.

Darth Smurf and Lordban like this.
  16. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
  17. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I lived in a Muslim majority area for ...6 years? I never ended up sounding as bitter, bigoted, or paranoid as you. E.g. I never rant against children of Muslims when there's a discussion on statehood and treason going on. I don't see your bigotry as relevant to the discussion.

18. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Rant? It's a scene which happened, that's all, and one showing in more details how parents had very little to do with the radicalization of some children. That Toulouse's Muslim youth provided its fair contingent of Daech fighters is also fact, and while I didn't go into detailed examples there, it also hasn't all that much to do with how the kids were raised by their family. The complete picture, however, is a bit too long to look at here, and I have no idea whether it would find replication at all in the UK.

As to feeling this exposition was bigotry, I'm going to save you the effort and report myself, since it's against the TOS. I'll let the moderating team decide if they feel I was expressing bigotry.

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Three anti-Brexit Tories have jumped ship and joined the Independents.

20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Yep, Soubry, Wollaston and Allen.

So far it's only a trickle, and considering how inflexible FPTP is, not quite headed anywhere productive yet, but I'm curious about whether it'll stop at a trickle if the current games go on.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    They're basically trying to sabotage Brexit .

V-2 likes this.
  22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    There are worse things to do as a politician than sabotaging saboteurs ;)

Rew, FatBurt and Dame sans merci like this.
  23. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    V-2 likes this.
  24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    It is something permitted by international law, essentially under the expectation that the measure can only be taken for extremely grave offenses, and with the mandatory requirement that the person stripped of their state citizenship isn't left state-less. The law invoked by the UK Home Office is already playing rather loose with the original intent, and the order taken to strip the young woman of her citizenship is for its part illegal according to international law, as it effectively makes her state-less.

25. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Good, its done enough damage already

Juliet316, Mar17swgirl, V-2 and 2 others like this.