main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Making this idiot girl stateless is not just illegal and immoral, it's hypocritical. We've taken actual fighters back, so why not her?

Oh but she said nasty things and thinks that it's okay to bomb infidels... Right, but isn't she free to say such things as a British citizen? If she's guilty of crimes under British law she should be tried here. I'm troubled by this nastiness. Theresa May is probably loving stoking up racial hatred like it's the good old days of her hostile environment. Whipping up the Britain First/UKIP/BNP contingent is what she does best.

I'm a little happier to see some tories splitting today, but it's not enough. Hopefully there will be a few more splitters every day until there are no tories left.

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I'm not sure she actually is. We don't have absolute freedom of speech like in the States, so I think she'd probably fall foul of inciting racial hatred and violence.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I'm also surprised there isn't much consideration for how young she was. I don't want to say teens can't be responsible but they are teens and their brains are still developing. As a group teens are more vulnerable to manipulation tactics by adults. And maybe she's not repentant IDK but that shouldn't mean UK can just revoke her citizenship. Even if she were a dual citizen of UK and another country she spent barely any time in compared to UK it wouldn't make sense to be like: other country, we don't want her, so YOU must take her.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    V-2 likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I know it was 75 years ago but I can't help but think of the former monarch who openly admired the Third Reich; whom Hitler hosted in a faux state visit; who directly advocated to the Nazis that they bomb England; who played what appears to a willing role in the Nazis' scheme to replace his own brother in the event of a German occupation. And Edward's punishment was living in semi-exile in France on a generous royal pension.

I don't see how being rendered stateless is considered proportional to her... crimes? She expresses vile points of view, but so does every Tory in government.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Well, John Oliver is back, and opened up on Brexit... :p

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I can't agree in any way with stripping citizenship of a person that hasn't been tried through the court system. Let her come back to Britain and have her tried for crimes, but it should not be possible for a government to revoke citizenship without a solid legal case.

Outsourced, Abadacus, V-2 and 2 others like this.
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    It shouldn't be possible to revoke citizenship from a country you were born in or where your parent are from.

Those who take on another nations citizenship then fair enough but if you were born in a country or have parents from that country then you have ties to that country, even more so if you were raised there.

I know this is a very black and white view and there will be loads of grey shades within this but she was born in the UK to Bangladeshi parents. In my view she is British as she was born and raised here and she has ties to Bangladesh so can claim a second nationality there should it ever be required.

In her case, repugnant as her attitude is, she is British, she should be brought home with her baby and tried in court against whatever legitimate charges are deemed correct to charge against her and then she can take her punishment, hopefully rehabilitate and then become a productive member of society (albeit a watched member considering her past as I'm not naïve)

When accusations of criminality are brought against individuals in the UK we investigate, arrest, try and then convict or acquit as appropriate. She has not yet been tried so we cannot convict and pass sentence of (potentially illegal) removal of nationhood until that has been done. It is unjust, wrong and sets a terrible precedence.

This is also an awful distraction from the impending Brexit hell scape which is now being pushed to the side for what is essentially a small scale issue in the grand scheme of things when we consider the 400 odd other male ISIS fighters who are back in the UK which no one batted an eyelid about.

8. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Note that it is perfectly possible under British law (and in accordance with the letter of international law) for the Home office to strip a citizen with another citizenship of their British citizenship. No trials or sentencing are required, and precedents already exist, successful when there was actually a second citizenship, and unsuccessful when, like in the present case, there is not.

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    In all honesty, I don't care. It shouldn't be possible and if its going to be then it shouldn't be possible without a trial.

One person cannot be judge, jury and executioner irrespective on how convincing the evidence is.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Lordban, Chewgumma, oncafar and 2 others like this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    oncafar likes this.
  11. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    You'll find no disagreement from me there. I was just providing the legalese ;)

oncafar likes this.
  12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Anna Soubry already seems to have taken over this new party , she's such a gob*****.

13. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    She's an idiot and a liar, but as tories go she's one of the good ones. It's a very short list.

FatBurt likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh but they can, it's been happening for years where benefits are concerned. In a way Brexit is simply extending the Tory MO to the entire country instead of the usual targets of the weak, poor and sick.

As business leaders are finding out - they give the Government evidence of how badly things are going, Government ignores it all and pronounces that everything is fine.

The sheer amount of terrible crap the DWP and Home Office get away with is staggering.

15. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    My bad!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  16. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    It happens ^^

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    J-Rod and Point Given like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News - MP Ian Austin has quit the Labour Party due to the lurch to the Left under Corbyn and the anti-Semitism in the party. However he says he isn't joining the Independent Group of MPs.

18. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Good riddance to bad Blairites. I just heard an interview with him on the radio. Christ he's thick, and that's not just his Dudley accent.

Abadacus likes this.
  19. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
  20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    To be fair, he's not the only minister who was very, very, very late on Brexit preparations...

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'd say he should go but May is running out of people who could replace him.

22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    a 17 year old girl stabbed in east London , she didn't survive.

and on it goes .:(

23. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Little things that make Brexit more real: when the Post inform you paperwork must be ready for customs checks in case a package sent to the UK ends up being returned.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    BBC News
    Jailed MP Fiona Onasanya lost her appeal against her conviction. Speaker John Bercow has begun a recall petition process that could lead to her removal as an MP with a by-election being held to replace her.

Jedi Ben and V-2 like this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    BBC News - three explosive packages have been found in London - at Heathrow, Waterloo, and City Airport. Counter-terrorist police are investigating.