main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How dare you make preparations! This is an outrage!

2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Well, we've seen how acting on "they wouldn't do that, would they?" went last time :p

Mar17swgirl, V-2 and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Leaving on the 29th is enshrined in law, we leave irrespective unless and extension is agreed, needs a good reason for the EU and rumours are that they may say as parliament can't agree on the deal their extension is only agreed if the options are given back to the people (a bit stretching but you never know)

The only other option is revoking article 50. It doesn't need EU approval to revoke, it just needs parliament to be brave

Mar17swgirl and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    That law can be changed just as easily as it was created with another act of parliament. Parliament has demonstrated that there is no desire for No Deal. It would take some high level cunning for the Brexiteers to force it upon us.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    All No Deal requires is that Parliament remain as spineless for the next two weeks as it has been since June 2016.

Rew likes this.
  6. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Not even. The government (May) just have to avoid bringing up a vote on a statutory instrument. Commons don't have the power to make them.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well then, we're ****ed.
    [​IMG]

And, if I were a Tory political strategist, I'd be planning how to pin it all on Labour. After all, they were successfully tagged as being solely responsible for the 2008 crash in the voter perception, so why not? It worked before, it can work again.

8. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Nah, this time, it's on the EU for rejecting the Malthouse Nonsense.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It'll be both. A neat mix of internal and external enemies for the press to foam about.

Lordban likes this.
  10. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    So... Not very?

Right now I'm confident that having rejected Deal and No Deal means we're going to have a lengthy extension. We're not going to be the ones to break the GFA. We're not going to create a smugglers paradise, either. The terms of May's deal, which the EU acquiesced to, meant a backstop, at least until the unicorn tracking technology imagined by the ERG is invented, tested and proven. The alternatives are a a new deal where we stay in the customs union, etc, or we remain.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, because I'm looking for just about any reason for optimism: What has Parliament done that's so good? Brexit should never have got to the point it has. If we had sane politicians, it wouldn't have.

What I've seen since June 2016 is a whole lot of talk, but crunch time? They vote through insanity. Simply shooting down May's deal is not enough - they want to stop Brexit? Revoke Article 50.

12. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Parliament can't. The government has to bring up a SI first, it's not Commons' gift to do so. But no, they haven't done much good at all when they were in fact invited to give their opinion.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The Commons needs to do a May then and say: **** the rules. And it probably could get away with it, unwritten constitution, remember?

14. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    So... About the EU blinking first again...

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Screw the Malthouse Compromise, it's the Melchett Strategy! Doing exactly what we've done before will absolutely work!

16. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Rebelled against the government's partisan strategy.
    Hindered, Probably delayed, and possibly killed Brexit.

Blame the Bastard wing of the Tories, the Referendum Party, UKIP, and David "call me when it's all over" Cameron.

It would have been a bit tough for MPs to immediately turn their back on the result. Many of those MPs campaigned for Leave, and many represent Leave majority constituencies. Even the Remainer representing Remain campaigning MPs had to be seen to follow the command of the people. There was a hysterical push to invoke A50 immediately (and Corbyn was utterly mad to be part of that)... It just wasn't politically prudent or possible to weasel out of the result.

I think that's the end game for many outside the hard Brexiters/ERG, and I hope the political reality of the GFA will lead us that way in any case. I'm confident that the upper echelons of the civil service are pushing for something like that, too.

Hope isn't dead yet.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not inclined to be kind or charitable towards the Cockwombles of Westminster: They only get any credit from me when they've cremated Brexit's beheaded corpse.

18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    you guys know that it was like 17+million that voted to leave right >

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    It was, 52% to 48% on an advisory referendum packed with lies and shady dealings.

If it hadn't been advisory and was a more official one, there would have been a minimum standard clear majority rule in place i.e. 60% is a number I've seen touted as the "norm" and after the leave campaigns dodgy dealings the referendum would be under investigation and would have been declared invalid by the electoral commission.

As it as cockwomble Cameron messed that up along with creating the crapfest we now live with.

20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    EU - Hey, Theresa, don't you think you should make a plan before you start Brexit?
    May - No, God will help me.
    May starts Brexit.

EU - Now that the clock has started, don't you think we really should talk?
    May calls a snap election.

EU - Now that you have a minority government, don't you think you're drawing a few too many red lines for you to have a majority?
    May draws more red lines.

EU - Well, this is the only deal we can offer then, with all those red lines. Sure you can get it through? Need us for anything?
    May - Of course not. God will help me.
    May suffers a historic defeat. Twice.

EU - You really aren't getting that deal through and I'm starting to get annoyed here. Don't you think you need time to redraw some of those red lines, or, something?
    May - I just need a little more time, and God will help me.
    The UK crashes out without a deal.

May - God, why didn't you help me?
    God - Why else do you think I sent you the EU five times?

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Last night we drove past a cyclist. No helmet, no lights, and a pair of sound-blocking headphones on, oblivious to what's happening around him.

I thought it was a rather apt analogy for Brexit...

22. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Dawrin Awards for nation states.

That could be rolled out in an annual awards show where the nation that shows the most conspicious actions that could lead to their demise win.

23. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    For UK citizens:

Petition - Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU. - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.

Currently this petition is rising rapidly in the number of signatures. It's gone up by nearly seven thousands in the last hour alone. Now standing at 49,442 signatures

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've signed it.

It'll go nowhere but I've at least signed it.

I've sent more emails to my MP in the last 3 months than I ever have before

In all honesty an increase to 1 would actually be sufficient but I'm well into double figures now.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    May is going to make a statement at 8:15 PM UK time according to BBC News.

26. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm shocked that the ground didn't open and swallow Theresa May for the outrageous bull**** she was spouting.

Jedi Ben likes this.