main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Why would anyone who supports Remain vote for the Brexit party? I mean, I can just about understand a Remain supporter voting Tory because they've always voted Tory/the Tory candidate for their constituency is a Remainer/whatever, but it would have to be a particuarly stupid Remain supporter to vote for a party whose only raison d'ĂȘtre is to achieve Brexit... :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I meant labour party not Brexit.

Whoops

3. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Labour is pretty much a Leave party at this point ;)

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Cabinet has backed May's Brexit compromises offer. She's to speak on developments at 4PM.
    BBC News

5. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Well, considering the Tories and Labour are both set for humiliation on Thursday anyway...

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - her week can't get much worse. At least she seems to have the Cabinet on side for a change.

Edit - just breaking on BBC News that the European Parliament is to investigate Nigel Farage's Brexit Party funding to see if they broke rules by accepting money from Arron Banks.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't want to be seen as condoning any kind of political violence, but can we all revel in the fact that, this week, the man who said he would pick up a rifle if Brexit wasn't delivered, the day after Jo Cox was murdered, is crying about political violence on the left because he got splashed with a little banana and salted caramel milkshake.

Point Given , Rew, Lordban and 4 others like this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It was almost as good as John Prescott and the egg, except that the egg thrower got a bit of a return surprise.

Jedi Ben and Chewgumma like this.
  9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    The difference is that Farage is a gutless toad.

He can be heard in the footage yelling at the security that they're absolute failures and that he saw the splash coming a mile off (even though he walked directly towards the person with the shake) then refused to get off the campaign bus for the rest of his trip.

Now he's cooked up claims that his mic was damaged (it wasn't, it picked his voice up fine afterwards) and that the milkshake somehow cut him.

Farage's supporters are the kinds of people to scream "snowflake" at minorities upset at slurs and far worse acts of violence. But once the tables are turned, once they get splashed with a little milkshake or get called gammon, they can't take the heat at all.

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Abadacus likes this.
  11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Isn't that Labour's solution to everything?

12. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    It's a pretty good solution to most things, but they are spot on with this. The government has ****ed British Steel with Brexit, it's only right that they (we) buy a huge stake and bail them out of the mess they're in.

Abadacus likes this.
  13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    And now for irony: I'm not sure that can happen quickly without a No Deal Brexit.

14. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Well actually we've done stuff like this before (I think with Railtrack in shortly after 9/11?), and Belgium went ahead and did it with their steel industry in 2016. Belgium got fined for it, or had to 'retrieve' the money, but their cost/risk analysis decided it was worth it, I guess.

MrZAP, Abadacus and Lordban like this.
  15. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Interesting. Thanks.

16. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    There's a lot of buzz going around that Theresa May could be resigning tonight, that way with no leader in place for tomorrow's European election nobody can technically get the blame for the Tories performing so dismally.

Either way, Theresa May had almost none of her back benchers behind her at today's PMQs, and it's being reported that the 1922 committee are meeting to discuss changing the rules and ousting May tonight, due to an influx of new No Confidence letters.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Been seeing that on BBC News in the last hour or so. I'm just waiting for the 5PM news to start.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    BBC News reporting the 1922 Committee meeting has broken up without agreeing a rule change. They will meet the Chief Whip shortly and there will be another meeting at 6PM.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  19. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Oh, how I long for the days when the US can hold no confidence votes in congress for the president. However, it'd still fail. Maybe.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Problem here is they tried too soon. Under the current rule (the one under discussion) they can't try again for a year.

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    That sucks. I get it. But it should be a twice per year kinda thing.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - if the new rule holds they can't do it again til December (I believe). However if the PM could be subjected to no confidence votes every time he/she makes Parliament mad nothing would get done.

23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    The cons could, in theory, just exclude her from the running and decision making of the party. Not sure how long that could last, however, and I'm not sure if they could effectively do that with the government. Everyone could just refuse to acknowledge her authority and answer to the chancellor instead..?

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I love the idea of her barricading herself in with the sofa up against the door.:p

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm not sure if that would be in line with the rules. One problem is there are multiple people who want the job - not just Boris Johnson. So there has to be a leadership contest if she steps down. And the Conservative Party membership usually get a say in who is the new party leader. (Party leader becomes PM if the party is elected).