main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like she might be safe til Friday - she's said she will meet with the head of the 1922 Committee then.

2. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Bet she regrets cancelling the order for a fully operational Death Star now.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If she survives Friday then it might take awhile longer for her to go - Parliament is supposed to be on recess for Whitsun from May 23-June 4.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    and then she'll go on holiday and forget to leave a forwarding number.

V-2 and LAJ_FETT like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - somewhere with no mobile signal.

6. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Reports suggest that the tories are already fractured at the local level (with some tory councillors and MEPs openly campaigning for the Brexit Party and UKIP), and lord knows they're fractured at the parliamentary level too. I hope there's a formal schism and parting of the ways soon.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I really hope we see Corbyn clap his hands together and say "Right, who's next!"

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not surprised at the Brexit Party but I am at UKIP.

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Very, very tempted to switch to Lib Dems tomorrow.

epic , Mar17swgirl, V-2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I don't have a vote (foreign national, not an EU citizen) but I'd probably go Brexit if I did.

11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'll be voting Lib Dems tomorrow

Cannot vote for Tory ever and won't vote for Labour as they're just a Brexit party really

epic , Mar17swgirl, V-2 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is a ****ing farce.
    • Tusk: Please don't waste this time.
    • UK: **** you Commie.

yankee8255 and Chewgumma like this.
  13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Leadshams resigned

I'm trying to see a downside here.

Mar17swgirl, Jedi Ben and Chewgumma like this.
  14. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    She's like Thatcher on steroids. Probably spends her evenings in a dusky hive crapping out ovomorphs. Doesn't like gays, the NHS or exhibiting empathy but loves fox hunting. Definitely a prime candidate to take over the tories.

15. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    ORDER! ORDER!

[​IMG]

16. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Weird. I didn't have you down as the fashy anti-Muslamic type.

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    She can't go now! My song isn't finished yet.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm not fascist or anti-Muslim. I'm just sick of the unelected EU high poobahs telling the UK what to do. Given the choice between Brexit and UKIP I'd go with Brexit.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  19. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Then you've got it wrong. The EU is an organization comprising 28 sovereign states who painstakingly defined what it can and cannot do, and they have to agree unanimously. Ultimately, every single member, the UK included, can tell the EU what it can and cannot do, not the contrary. It's decision-making bodies are an elected parliament and the elected heads of state and government. The commission is its head civil service body.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Jedi Ben, FatBurt, V-2 and 2 others like this.
  20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    On the day of the European elections...

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Irony
    ^
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Brexiteers' heads

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    will be voting lib dems today for the first time.

FatBurt and V-2 like this.
  23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Also, I could just about buy the "The EU are telling us what to do" pseudoargument from a small member state that probably doesn't get much pull in European politics, but Britain? The second biggest economy in the EU after Germany? Really?

So Brexiteers are quite happy to claim that "they need us more than that we need them" and "we'll be able to get all the trade deals we want", implying Britain's negotiating position is strong, but at the same time they're portraying it as a some sort of victim to EU's whims.

Which is it, then? Is Britain strong, or is it weak? You can't have it both ways.

If Britain is strong, then it can use its power to shape EU's policies, and the argument that "EU is telling us what to do" is BS. And by leaving the EU it loses its influence over the 500 million bloc.

If Britain is weak, then the moment it leaves the bloc, it will be at the mercy of other countries with whom it wants to strike trade deals and will get effed over. By leaving the EU, it loses the protection and benefits of the membership.

Either way, Brexit ****s Britain up. It really is that simple.

Jedi Ben, FatBurt, Rew and 5 others like this.
  24. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Gotta pay for dropping the 50p tax rate somehow.

25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Merkels "Wir schaffen das" showed the opposite. Macrons idea of a super state shows the opposite.
    EU is not a state and never will be. As long as there is no acceptance in Brussels that the EU is a senate of sovereign states, the EU will not work. The germans will never let UK tell them where to build a pipeline, the hungarians will not allow anyone to tell them who is allowed to enter their country, the UK will not ask Germany for permission to build a new nuclear powerplant and the italians will not allow France to go bancrupt first. etc.
    If the EU does not start to see itself as a senate for general european interests it will fail sooner or later.