main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    And of course once people have had a few, social distancing will go out the window, by virtue of the fact that alcohol tends to do that. It's the perfect storm for wave two.

Juliet316, FatBurt and Chewgumma like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News said the 6AM start was so pubs wouldn't open up at midnight tonight.

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Well my reading of that is that it's removing licensing restrictions then.

So much for encouraging responsible social behaviour when they're endorsing alcohol at the time of morning one should be eating their cornflakes.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    You mean you don't have your cornflakes with a cheeky pint?

5. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Since lockdown was imposed, people have been waiting for the day that it would be lifted. There is the sense among some that lockdown should abruptly end with some kind of mass hedonism.

I understand why people are desperate to get out and enjoy themselves, but I can guarantee that social distancing will go flying out the window along with self-restraint. We saw what happened when McDonald’s opened up their drive-thru restaurants. Pubs are going to be overwhelmed as soon as they open their doors. Tim Martin will be rubbing his hands together.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Sugar puffs with Monster in the morning, any good patriot knows this

darthhelinith and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    That might actually be healthier than what I normally have Sugar Puffs with (milk with a splash for single cream).

8. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Crunchy Nut Cornflakes over vanilla ice cream.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, who has spent the last four hours getting hammered, with covid chasers?

Chewgumma likes this.
  10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah, I'll not be going near a pub for some time.

In all honesty, I can't actually remember the last time I went out for a pint

darthhelinith, Chewgumma and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I'm sad to say that when I did go to a pub it was usually a Wetherspoons. Shan't be any more. I'm not a big drinker anyway, so paying an extra couple of quid a pint is worth it for not contributing to Tim Martin's profits.

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    My big treat of the week was when I used to go to Wetherspoons for cheap steak Tuesdays and a couple of pints of Punk IPA.

Not filling Tim Martin's coffers is yet another advantage of having gone vegan.

Edit: Just saw this on a live news feed. Just in case you're someone who spent the last few weeks claiming that NHS staff are heroes but still aren't convinced that drinking in a pub right now is dumb...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  13. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Prince Willie got the ball rolling with his cider and chips. Now we have a man celebrated for downing a Jagerbomb live on BBC news before midday.

I have every sympathy for people in the pub and restaurant industries who have been hit hard by this pandemic and I can totally understand their eagerness to open their doors again. Of course, as soon as the pubs opened, they were going to be overrun.

I hope that we don’t end up paying the price for this with a second wave of infections. I also hope that people can behave themselves, but I fear that police will have their work cut out. I think that English pubs near the borders to Scotland and Wales are going to be overwhelmed as people make a beeline for them.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  14. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Watching Chancellor's recovery plan like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be fair, the moves to support younger people to get into work sound *gasp* fairly good. The first decent investment in young people's workforce by a conservative government since they got into power. Hopefully it'll go at least some way to reverse the negative effects of conservative policies on this age group.
    The retention bonus also seems a reasonably fair compromise to ending the furlough scheme, although I'm not convinced it goes far enough. And I'm kinda excited by the prospect that I might be able to get vouchers to put solar panels on my house.
    The VAT reduction is surprisingly generous and the eat out to help out idea is interesting, shame it's only for 3 days a week.

Yet all I can keep thinking is... what's the catch?

CairnsTony likes this.
  15. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    The catch is austerity out the wazzoo once this is over.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

darthhelinith likes this.
  16. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I figured it out.
    The recovery plan is all aimed at middle class households and business owners.
    There's nothing for people living paycheck to paycheck or floundering in their overdrafts.

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    where are they getting all the money for all this?

18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Where do you think?

19. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    The magic money tree?

CairnsTony likes this.
  20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    dunno. Has Jeff Bezos suddenly started paying tax?

Darth Smurf likes this.
  21. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    The same banking system that made the 2008 crisis.

Except that there's a limit to how much risk they're going to take on a country that deliberately excluded itself from an organization which might have supported it and is likely to ponder thinking about printing money in disproportionate amounts instead.

I won't be surprised if we see a brutal devaluation of the GBP within four years - along with the enforcement of austerity measures far worse than those that already reduced millions to depending on food banks.

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm stunned and not in a good way.

Not too long ago they didn't have enough money to feed kids and now they've painted a plane and sorted out half price take away.

Some of the announcements are good dont get me wrong but again it.just doesn't go far enough.

Now is the time they should be considering UBI, be brave and try something new

Oh and the brutal devaluation of GBP will happen on the first of jan when we crash out on no deal. Money markets are already saying the it needs to be considered as a developing currency now. Its decline is already well in flight.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    CairnsTony and darthhelinith like this.
  23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

You will pay it back soon by losing some zeros

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    According to BBC News the VAT cut isn't applicable to alcoholic drinks in pubs and restaurants so it isn't as generous as it seems.

darthhelinith likes this.
  25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    We'll have hyper inflation next year, we'll have loads of zeros to use