main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

standard these days

alas

2. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    What was it about?

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    "Things are bad. Stay at home."

darthhelinith and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    My mother got a phone call from the hospital yesterday inviting her to get the vaccine this Friday .
    She got another call today saying they've run out .

piss-up and brewery are words that I could use in a sentence.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  6. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Sidiq Kahn just said that in parts of London 1 in 20 has Covid.

!

darthhelinith likes this.
  7. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I can believe that.

8. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    The Queen and Phil have had the jab.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    HARD BREXIT. DUTCH CUSTOMS ARE TAKING OUR SANDWICHES
    @SuperWatto

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Serves you right!

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Must have the munchies

SuperWatto likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is good:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ails-praising-schools-after-ministers-remarks
    England’s schools inspectorate, Ofsted, has been overwhelmed by more than 10,000 emails from parents, mostly singing the praises of their children’s schools, after Gavin Williamson urged them to complain if they were not satisfied with the remote education on offer.
    The education secretary’s comments last week sparked outrage among teachers and parents, but there are now fears the growing deluge of complimentary emails could result in genuine safeguarding concerns being delayed or missed by overstretched staff.
    Ofsted’s call centre team are sorting through emails to identify genuine complaints or concerns, but the vast majority are believed to be from parents praising their child’s school during lockdown in defiance of Williamson’s advice.

13. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Lol, more Brexiters need to try entering Australia with their bloody sandwiches. I don't think I've ever entered this country without having at least one thing confiscated by customs (nail clippers last time, as I recall).

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I once attempted to "smuggle" a Batter Burger into the US for my mates to experience and was detained (moderately, but still stopped lol) until I could explain its hellishness.

Darth Punk , Lordban and CairnsTony like this.
  15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Does someone have a violin for the poor Brits living in Spain that didn't expect Brexit to make it harder to live there.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55617849

Now it doesn't say anything what the people in the article voted for, but didn't most of the expats at Costa del Sol vote for Brexit?

Juliet316, blackmyron, Rew and 5 others like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, no violin available - it was due to be delivered but didn't have the new import papers.

More seriously, they were told it would have no effect and totally believed it for years.

Mar17swgirl, CairnsTony and Lordban like this.
  17. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I dare say many of them did, and I have little sympathy for them.

But in that article is the case of Tracey Turnero Sheehan who married a Spaniard and is raising a child there. She runs an English school in Marchena, and appears to have fully integrated into the local culture. My experience of British immigrants during my time living in Spain is that many of them are like her. I could be wrong, but I would confidently predict that she didn't vote Brexit.

I'm in an identical position here in Australia. I can live here indefinitely, being an Australian citizen, and if I choose to return to the UK, no probs. But like Tracey, if I married a local and later decided to move back, I'd have the same mountain of regulations to overcome.

I'm pro-remain, as are the overwhelming majority of other British immigrants here I know, but you can be sure that programmes about immigrant life here featuring British immigrants that are shown in the UK will show mostly late-middle age whingers who voted Tory all their life. I know, because just such a programme was on in the UK when I was there. Those of us who quietly integrate are not interesting enough to be interviewed, and still less interesting to feature in a UK show that wants to put an 'angle' on certain things.

So yes, those who live in Spain and voted or support Brexit deserve everything they get, but they are not the whole story.

Lordban, Mar17swgirl and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Dagenham has the highest Covid rate in the country.

Shocker.

CairnsTony likes this.
  19. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    BBC News is now reporting that the UK is seeing the worst excess deaths since WW2. I’d be surprised if we don’t see tighter restrictions over the next week.

Darth Punk likes this.
  20. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    100% they’re already telegraphing it.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Anyone in or around London just hear an explosion?

22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    they really need to crack down on the supermarkets , I've stopped going to asda , they let too many in and a lot of them aren't wearing masks. I know the staff can't enforce the rules but the police say they're going to issue more fines - well just pop down the local supermarket.

Dannik Jerriko and Sinrebirth like this.
  23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Disregard, most likely a sonic boom.

24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Yup, local news reports are saying it was a fighter plane.

Darth Punk likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That report is all well enough and rational but I'll wait for the explanation when someone's mobile footage is submitted to a Paranormal Exposed! show.