main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Can anyone explain to me why Boris seems determined to screw with the GFA? What does he think it gets him, other than a lot of hate? I really don't understand.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    He isn't determined. He just doesn't give a damn about the consequences if it can keep him in power.

3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    He's a steaming fool who cannot separate wistful longing for Empire from sheer common sense?

The EU Withdrawal Agreement was always going to meet the GFA like two trains heading for each other on the same track. The resultant carnage is very close to becoming a reality at this stage, because there are no realistic ways around.

EDIT: as I say, rejoining the single market would at least solve the Irish backstop issue, so there would be no need for a customs border in the Irish sea. You can still sell the idea of a 'free and independent' UK to your purple-faced supporters by staying out of the EU- just don't emphasise that you would then be subject to EU laws on trade. [face_whistling]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes there is Tony! Rargh Optimism!

Yes, that really is the plan.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Personally, I'd like him to leave the planet.

Failing that I'll be satisfied with never ever hearing about/from the racist frog faced cockwomble ever again

SuperWatto likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, right. He'll be back.

8. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Last time he left politics, he snapped “I want my life back” like the petulant child he is. Apparently he wants his life back again, but this time he really means it. True to form, Nigel assured us that “this is not a retirement” and he will derive the attention that he craves from commentating on social media platforms.

Nobody asked Nigel to enter politics and nobody asked him to devote any portion of his lifespan to pursuing Brexit. I very much want back my rights as a citizen of the EU, but thanks to Nigel and his elitist chums, the ordinary people of this country are far worse off.

9. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I won't get my hopes up that he'll disappear from public life any time soon. The BBC, LBC and all manner of other media outlets have been giving him an undeserved and unearned platform for years. I'm sure they'll continue to wheel him on whenever they seek a simplistic, reactionary, divisive, ill-informed take on the world, for anyone who can't handle actual facts.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  11. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    If all the artifacts were returned to their countries of origin, the British Museum would be a rather empty place.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Good

Lordban and darthhelinith like this.
  13. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I wasn’t suggesting that this would be a bad thing.

14. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Police violence at a vigil to remember a woman killed by a policeman. :rolleyes:

Cressida Dick is now facing pressure from Lib dem leader and London Mayor.

Lordban and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Tonight was appalling

Women standing peacefully protesting violence against women only to be violently removed.

Cressida Dick should be removed and I refuse to believe that Priti Patel had no say in this either. The permits for tonight were refused due to covid cut it was always going to 100% happen but at a lower attendance. The outcome tonight is as a result of Cressida and Priti's hostile approach to ANY form of dissent. It's disgusting and they both should go.

16. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I think this tweet satirically sums it up.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Problem is I feel powerless to stop things going bad and have since about 2010. And it keeps getting worse. Day job helps a little, as there I am contributing to positive change.

The other respect is recent coverage of violence to and harrassment of women shows how much I've withdrawn from the wider world over the same timespan. It's good then that I have severe disagreement with the 'if I have not personally experienced it, it does not exist' school of thought.

Edit - new opinion poll has Johnson as first choice for PM.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    CairnsTony likes this.
  18. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I'm deeply concerned about Patel's new bill that will make it much more difficult to legally protest. If the government doesn't like what you're protesting about, then they can deem the protest illegal, effectively removing your right to protest against the government, and all manner of other things.

How much will the British public allow their basic freedoms to be eroded before they say enough is enough?

darthhelinith likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think the current lot could push it hard enough to trigger 'Poll Tax 2' level disruption but that's probably some way off.

CairnsTony likes this.
  20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The latest legislation they've pushed through has made it through with minimal noise because everyone is still too focused on Covid and with the reduced liberty we currently have we'll barely notice it. For now.

They will start to face kick back once their new austerity kicks in and the effects of Brexit really start to take hold. That 40% reduction in trade in Jan, thats going to be the norm IMO. Traffic may be similar to pre brexit but trucks are travelling empty now whereas previously they were full both ways.

I'm still utterly astounded that Johnson is still favourite for PM. His handling of the pandemic is criminal and the corruption and cronyism in the way that contracts have been handed out is again criminal but is again hidden by the ongoing Covid noise. I can only assume the vaccine rollout (done by the NHS) is the big thing thats keeping his polling high.

This Tory government is an inept government, once the pandemic is over and normal news services resume, they'll make a misstep and people will finally sit up and kick back.
    It's a shame it's taken so damn long

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Last night was a real **** show.

darthhelinith and FatBurt like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have hit "reply" to this daily since you posted it and then thought the better of being banned. I still have nothing acceptable to say but I just want you to know I am not leaving you hanging. I'd leave Boris han... Look, it's better if I just wait this out a bit longer.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Look, if ever there was a reason to invoke In Case Of Johnson - Break the Board's Swear Filter - screwing with the GFA is it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  24. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Vaccination is the only thing this government has gotten right about covid, and that's because it handed the problem over to a small group of experts and let them work without interference.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Feel cheated yet, Brexiteers?