main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

The Daily Mail etc... would go mental on him, especially considering his time as a Lawyer. They'd spout double standards and in all honesty it just isn't worth the aggravation for him.
    I can see why he's done it and until the papers acknowledge that young people can and do do stupid things then they'll always deflect that question.

Lordban and blackmyron like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Or dressed up as a Nazi at a party..

Dannik Jerriko and halibut like this.
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think he should've been honest and said "yeah , I had some weed , I don't recommend it , but I won't dodge it either ; we need to be a bit more honest about drugs and have a grown-up conversation about them" etc.
    I think he might have gained some admiration , sure the Mail would go for him but they're hardly fans anyway.

Mar17swgirl and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  4. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    It's a measure of Starmer's ineffectiveness as a human entity that he might be afraid of upsetting The DM. How many of their readers does he sincerely think he will attract to the cause?

And seriously... how many supporters who still remain loyal to him really give a crap? It's the working class vote that have largely abandoned Labour, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Rew and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  5. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    What I find interesting is the difference in attitude across the pond. Kamala Harris stated that she had smoked a joint as a student. She’s not a stupid woman and she wouldn’t have said this if she believed that it would harm her career.

I’d have more respect for Starmer if he’d just been honest. Most people tried a puff on a joint at some time in their youth.

Rew and CairnsTony like this.
  6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Pretty sure Obama did the same. After Clinton's nonsense, he was asked if he inhaled and said "Yes, that's the point" or words to that effect.

CairnsTony likes this.
  7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    blackmyron likes this.
  9. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    They're going to have to go fast at it too, because they're collapsing Stormont at the worst possible time for them as well, and when things get back to the urns, they're going to get punished by Unionists for enabling Johnson.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Article points toward Sir Jeffrey Donaldson being favored to succeed and might be 'coronated' rather than them going through another leadership election.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  11. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Not sure it's going to help them all that much in the short term x)

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I don't know a lot about Donaldson - I live in the London area, not in NI..

13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    So does he! :p

(Kidding, but he is in Westminster ^^ )

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hasn't really been a high flyer on my radar..(nor has NI politics other than what I see/read in the news).

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Northern Ireland is the focus of Boris' bait-and-switch Brexit deal, so it's a big deal nowadays, especially since the DUP seems to be getting more antagonistic.
    Meanwhile, the Tories lost a solid seat to the Lib Dems in a special election.
    Oh, and Rees-Mogg let us all know that expressed private opinions don't mean anything, ever, in his usual posturing pretentious way.

16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Jacob Rees-Mogg can have sexual intercourse with his own anus.

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Labour really are gonna have to have a serious think about how they stop their decline .

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why would they do that when eternal fratricide is so much more fun?

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

There is more that Labour and Lib Dems share than seperates them. As long as those two continue to split the left/centre left vote then the Tory's will continue to benefit to everyone elses detriment.

The recent by election win is purely because of tactical voting. If they had any sense they would step down where the opposing party in incumbent and ask their own voters to support each other. In places where the Torys hold, they need to support the highest voted for loser in the last election.
    Do that and commit to a coalition or minority support THEN they may get back in charge but until that happens or we get rid of FPTP we'll be stuck with the ever emboldened Torys

20. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Labour have failed to adapt to the political landscape of the UK. The post-Brexit UK is a fractured union composed of divided nations. Labour need a clear, consistent standpoint and strong charismatic leadership. Labour have made some puzzling leadership choices in recent years. Starmer will never represent a credible challenge to the Tories. They need someone relatable, strong and competent. Personally, I think Andy Burnham represents Labour’s best hope for the future.

Jedi Ben and FatBurt like this.
  21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I like Starmer, I think in any other time he would be an excellent leader. The problem is he's a legal type and appears a bit Tory, he isn't but he looks like and sounds like one.

Burnham is a proper Northerner and after the pandemic and the way he stood up to Government is "King of the North" if he put in a leadership run he won't get it because the Unions don't like him but if he did win then yes I think Labour voters would return as he comes across really well and his tenure as Manchester Mayor has been pretty good in all honesty.

The biggest issue in UK politics is FPTP though and until that goes the fractured left will struggle

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57538844 - sounds like a bit of a clearout in NI. As a result of the Poots resignation First Minister Paul Given has been told he will have to resign when a new leader takes over, as has his deputy Michelle O'Neill. If selected Sir Jeffrey Donaldson has said he will lead the DUP from Belfast as first minister.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ew.

GB News gives Fox News a British accent

Our deepest apologies for exporting more of our garbage, UK.

I rolled my eyes at the idea of “too London” or “too many college graduates” at the BBC or Sky News somehow being a bad thing.

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    From what I've read it isn't quite as bad as Fox News nor are they trying to emulate Fox News. Unfortunately I can't get the channel to find out as it is HD only on Sky and I just have an SD box (which can't show HD channels). I do know they've had a bunch of technical issues since the launch last Sunday and that has been most of the press coverage so far.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    On this one there's plenty of blame to go around. Oz sent Murdoch to the UK, who let him get away with loads of crap he shouldn't, then he went to the US.....

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.