main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    And rightly so.

CairnsTony likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You mean Jingowatts right? As in: By Jingo, alone!

blackmyron and soitscometothis like this.
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    So apparently we're in for a massive rise in gas prices.

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Gas price rise because we're now out of the EUs price guarantee thingie

Basically our wholesale prices are.now 100% higher than the EU because of it.

Still, blue passports and imperial measurements.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

blackmyron likes this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Doesn't the rest of the civilised world (other than America) use the metric system?

It works fine, why change it?

Next they'll be reporting the weather in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius

6. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I do prefer imperial for some things , like if someone says a thing is 2' 6" I can picture that, but if they say a thing is 186cm I haven't a clue.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Most of us mix 'n' match.

FatBurt likes this.
  8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I can sort of mentally convert feet and inches into centimetres and vice versa (at least roughly) and miles into kilometres and vice versa, but stones and pounds go completely over my head.

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    That's only because it's what you're taught. People from metric countries can mentally picture how something is in metric measurements in the same way as we can for imperial.

Regardless, the whole thing's a storm in a teacup. The vast majority of things were already in imperial measurements here anyway. Your milk and beer is still in pints, your speedometer is still in miles per hour, height is in feet and inches, weight in stone and pounds. We've never been a metric country. The only place it'd make a difference is in international trade, but it won't because every other country (besides the USA) uses metric and so will we when dealing with them.

All Boris Johnson has done is use it as some rallying cry for ignorant ****heads to lap it up as one of the few remaining "benefits" of Brexit and to deflect from some bad news that I'm sure came out somewhere. Meanwhile loads of remainers and people on the left have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Mar17swgirl and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    no , we were taught both , but still I prefer metric in some cases and imperial in others.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I grew up in the US so I am more used to imperial.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The question what is the best solution for the country

1) Changing road signs to kilometres
    2) Changing IKEA instructions to inches

But seriously, as said above the UK is stupidly far behind in converting to metric. Metric makes total sense in every aspect, but we have always been predominantly imperial. Pints, Miles, Weight, Height etc.

We should go full imperial, or full metric. So embrace kilometres, or go back to farthings and shillings.

Metric makes sense

Boris is the sort of person who prefers Betamax and HD-DVD. Throw in the iomega drive and you have the trifecta.

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Metric. Duh.

14. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    As I said up the page, I grew up in the seventies and am probably older than all of youse, and yet I was only taught metric.

I measure my height in metric (1.78m), and my weight (75kgs) and have no clue how the other stuff works.

I can only assume that schools regressed later and taught both, but there was a big drive to go fully metric back in the seventies.

My primary concern is when buying things: if shops begin selling in imperial again. I'll be totally lost.

Funnily enough, there is a logic behind a dozenal currency because of the greater number of factorials: you can half, quarter and third everything and leave wholes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Unless Johnson and co are willing to prosecute shops for not using solely Imperial measures, it'll make little actual difference.

16. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I don't expect it to actually happen, but this government is so barking mad, I wouldn't put it past them.

And anyway, many metric measures of supermarket goods are straight conversions from imperial anyway (apparently...), which is why they come in odd amounts in grams.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What's so odd about 568ml equalling a pint?

18. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I wouldn't have a clue if that was actually the case!

Australia is fully metric and I fell into comfortable patterns five minutes after arriving here.

Miles was just about the only distance measure I sort of understood, but honestly, I only get kilometres now. I know when I move back, I'm going to keep thinking the distances are all in kms and just get mightily confused.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I grew up in the US, so I was taught only Imperial units, and to mercilessly mock someone who suggested the metric system as a clueless liberal hippie.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Mad as it sounds - it is!

CairnsTony likes this.
  21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Miles to kilometres is probably the easiest imperial-metric conversion - just multiply miles by 1.6 to get kilometres.

blackmyron and CairnsTony like this.
  22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    so do I have to measure my knob in metrics now ?

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The metric unit for knobs is a "Boris"

24. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Panic buying at petrol stations.

Marvellous

Emergency changes to allow EU drivers to get visa's to work in the UK. Now if there is a shortage of drivers across the EU, why would giving licences to work for a UK company mean that the drivers that do exist will leave their company to work in the UK? Unless the lack of drivers on the continent isn't actually true.. hmmmmm

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Want to get lorry drivers working in the Uk? Establish an actual set of deceny loos they can access across the nation.

But hey, Shapps will save us!
    More like sacrifice everyone to the market.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.