main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. Heavens yes.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Meanwhile petrol will be £3 a litre while the government simply swears it's nothing to do with them.

While over in Northern Ireland the fires perpetually burn.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Still don't want to see the break up of the union but considering how badly you have been treated, there is no other alternative. Even if another party got in and made improvements, the Torys would eventually get back into power again.

I've a feeling, if the ERG get their way, we'll have fires driven by explosions again

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Dannik Jerriko and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's where it all likely looks to be headed. Pensioner parades turning into smoldering craters because who doesn't totally love the 80s.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's quite likely FB, while the ERG and their allies deem that "a price worth paying", but they're not the ones paying it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Dannik Jerriko and FatBurt like this.
  6. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Get Wales into the EU and give me that Welsh passport ASAP.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The future:

Wales, Scotland and (united) Ireland are EU members.

England broadcasts the Dad's Army intro 24-7 with the EU flag replacing the swastika. Meanwhile its politicians voluntarily impale themselves while screaming it's all the EU's fault.

The EU? Looking on going "**** it, let 'em get on with it".

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I always find it an odd feeling when I consider 2 years as "the future".

FatBurt likes this.
  9. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I want an independent Scotland and a United Ireland. At the same time, I don’t want a devastated England. I couldn’t care less about the ruling class, but there’s plenty of decent ordinary people who happen to live south of the border and they didn’t want any of this.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but I'm not in charge.

11. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    There is an alternative, but not one England is ready to accept: if Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland say "no", the Union says "no".

12. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Until the next big decision looms and the argument starts again. During the Blair years, I heard “the ****** jocks are taking over” more times than I care to remember.

In many ways, I can see where England is coming from. They have a population of over 55 million. NI, Scotland and Wales have a combined population of about 10 million. Every nation has the right to make their own decisions for their own people and England should be no exception. Equally, the other nations in these islands should not be subject to the will of England’s larger voting power.

This union just doesn’t work and it never will. It’s done far more harm than good.

13. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    It should be able to work though. We have far more in common than we do differences. There are still many hang ups from ills that happened hundreds of years ago (recent decades, IRA etc... totally get the continued issues there). But from a modern perspective, 3 nations sharing the "mainland" should be able to work together effectively and with close ties to those over the water to the east, we should still be able to work as a collective.
    Scotland, Wales and Ireland have always been crapped on by the English government. Look at how Ian Blackford is greeted when he stands during PMQ's. The issue has always been the English part of the parliament, especially the Tory part with their old Empire thinking and belief in British (English) exceptionalism. You could see it in how disdainful they were of the EU and in how "they need us more than we need them".

Hell, the Tory's struggle with anything north or Watford.

The Union is irrevocably broken now though, 20 odd years ago, progress was being made (slow slow progress that still may not have got there) but it's a doomed entity now, 12 years of Tory rule does that.

14. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    The problem is that the union can never be completely divorced from the historical baggage that it carries. The old Empire mentality persists and is not limited to England.

When the union is dissolved, we will still need to work together and I believe that we will. Of course we have a lot in common, but there are also some important differences. Four independent nations cooperating with a sense of mutual respect in the pursuit of a shared prosperity seems far preferable to the uneven union that exists now.

Also, Blackford being told, “Go back to Skye” was pretty offensive and was simply brushed over. As far as Soames is concerned, that apple didn’t fall far from Grandpa’s rotten old tree.

FatBurt and Lordban like this.
  15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The key words you used of "Mutual Respect" are exactly what is needed but the old Empire mind of the Torys won't allow it to happen. Once you all move on, Little England as we will become will continue to look down on you just like they do the whole of Europe.

The idea that we are a big nation is long gone but the Torys (and to a lesser extent Labour/Lib Dems) won't accept that, leaving the EU has made us smaller and once you go, we'll be smaller again but you'll all actually gain in stature.

I dread where "England" is headed especially if the Torys get another 5 years when the election cycle comes round again

16. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I don’t know what it’s going to take for Tory voters (in all nations) to wake up. We’re getting ready to fly vulnerable asylum seekers to Rwanda next week. This should be unthinkable, but it feels like business as usual for the current administration. This is where we’re at after 12 years. I don’t want to imagine what they’ll get up to if they win another general election.

blackmyron, FatBurt and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The mania for destruction by the current government is scary.

ChrisLyne and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  18. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Boris Johnson, in a nutshell.

Warning: contains racism, sexism, homophobia, contempt for the poor, and pathological falsehoods:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: my experiences at Wye College, University of London in Kent taught me that Boris is not remotely unusual in this regard. A large percentage of people, but especially men, from his background have exactly the same attitudes. And the intimidatory behaviour of the Bullingdon Club and the things they said were all things I experienced at Wye College.

FTR, I grew up in a council house in South London. My very presence at uni was an affront to these ****s. Unlike most UK universities, Wye in those days was in a timewarp.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    blackmyron and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The Led by Donkeys vid, yes?

CairnsTony likes this.
  20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Brexiteers are literally passing a law to breach an international agreement over Northern Ireland - or as they put it, "envisage the non-performance of certain obligations."

I wish it was shouted to the highest mountaintops: Johnson's government signed an agreement with the EU knowing full well they were not going to abide by it because they were afraid of a 'hard Brexit'.

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Lawbreakers, our international reputation further sullied by this mob

23. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Nope. They weren't going to abide by it because they fully intend to force Ireland to choose between a closed border and a war over it or accepting that border to be the path through which low-standards food enters the EU illegally. It's no random chance that the UK also just changed policy and stated they'll abandon any semblance of food standards in case their partners (read: the USA) say they are unnecessary.

Which we've seen coming 7 years ago.

Jedi Ben and FatBurt like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Wholly unrelated: manufacturing of balaclavas up 17000%

Dannik Jerriko, Jedi Ben and FatBurt like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    1, 2, 3, 4
    I declare a trade war

Good job I bagged the XBX when I did.