main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Johnson wanted Truss to be Chancellor

:eek:

[​IMG]

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    He won't resign but the knives are well and truly out now.

Remember the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise and those who cling to power. Tories love to knife their own.

3. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    [face_plain]

WDNDSWITJCC

Tempted to call @KnightWriter for an adjudication - Also applies to Ben and Tony on the prior page (who should both know better)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    CairnsTony likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Preemptive:
    [​IMG]

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    [face_plain].

FatBurt likes this.
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, it's becoming clear that Boris plans to stay in power. And unless they change the rules, there's nothing that can be done about it.

7. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Considering prominent backbenchers are spelling out they will, indeed, change the rules, possibly as early as before this summer recess...

ChrisLyne and FatBurt like this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Okay. I have honestly never understood this at any point since ROTS came out. How was this a tragedy? Basically all he said was someone got suffocated in their sleep. How is that a tragic flaw? What does that have to do with anything? Even without going into the whole rule of two idiocy, that could have happened to anyone. The moral of the story is “DONT YOU DARE PARTAKE IN BIOLOGICALLY OBLIGATE BEHAVIORS FOR SURVIVAL?” “HIS ONLY WEAKNESS WAS AEROBIC METABOLISM VIA KREBS CYCLE?!”

What is actually going on in this movie.

mnjedi likes this.
  9. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Wocky, Please take Star Wars talk to where it belongs!

Agreed - Bridgen has come out and basically said, if they get the 1922 committee support they expect, the rules will be changed next week and a vote will be in place before recess. They are desperate to get him gone before recess allowing for a leadership contest before the Autumn return and October conference. If Johnson is still in charge in September, they're on the back foot and with the continued sleaze/corruption/lies etc... The Johnson party is doomed in the next election (or at least should be). If they can oust him now, they have a chance with a decent leader to rebuild credibility

ChrisLyne and blackmyron like this.
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    who knows, maybe one day someone will create a message board to discuss it

Rew, Lordban, CairnsTony and 3 others like this.
  11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

It would have to be a separate location to the main message board though as it'll clearly be a niche discussion point

blackmyron and KnightWriter like this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Look, I appreciate that in Star Wars the villains were always British and appropriately horrid for it but that's where the similarly to the ongoing discussion in here ends.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  14. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    If we set aside the mind-bending amount of damage this government is doing to the country, there is the strangely comforting prospect of Boris hanging on against all odds until the next election; which would almost certainly see the Tories obliterated at the polls. I can only pray that he calls a snap election.

When I hear (as I have) dyed-in-the-wool Tories swearing never to vote Tory again under his leadership, I do wonder if such an election could give us the most satisfying mauling of a political party ever.

FatBurt, Jedi Ben, blackmyron and 2 others like this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah but then you're gonna get Starmer's "Labour." :p

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  17. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    He doesn't have the power to call one. He needs a one-line bill to get through Commons, and that would be at Labour's sufferance, since he won't have a majority from his ranks..

18. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Given the polling though, why wouldn't Labour grant him an election if he wants? (I guess they would want the Durham investigation cleared up first, but after that it would be to their advantage to go now)

CairnsTony likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I thought they'd axed that rule some time ago?

Regardless, after the last few years, I don't believe or credit any MP or voter saying it's all terrible and they can't possibly vote for Johnson. Guess what happens next? Yep, same individual then votes for Johnson.

Similarly, while I would like the Conservatives - a more apt name for the party would be the Wrecking Crew - to lose the next election I'm not convinced they will. I think they will try to do a Thatcher-Major change too but I don't see Johnson following Thatcher, he'll resist it all the way.

20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    They haven't. A one-line bill allowed a single derogation to FTPA last time.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well that does spice things up.

22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Mass resignations have begun, and apparently, the 1922 committee is planning leadership hustings for next week - ie. they consider Johnson will be gone by Friday.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Seek out Lord MacDonald's letter, it is an excellent read.

Out by Friday you say? Do they have four burly cops on stand by to break into 10 Downing St to physically evict him?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Won't have to - he'll be PM pro tempore.

25. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    32 frontbench resignations in the last 18 hours [face_whistling]
    That's 20% of the frontbench resigning since last night. And the day is far from over.

EDIT - 33.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022