main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nadine is busy yelling that Keir Starmer is boring.

CairnsTony likes this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    ITV are doing an expose report on the state of the NHS.

Enraged by this treason the Conservatives decide to privatise ITV.

Only one problem - it already is and has been for years.

FatBurt likes this.
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Are they still privatizing the BBC as well? Or did they do that already?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not yet. They're currently hellbent on privatising Channel 4.

They have screwed the BBC over by requiring it to pay for over 65s TV licences and are abolishing the license fee.

That both of these moves seriously wreck the creative industries supply chain doesn't register with them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    FatBurt and Thena like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Their priority has been to privatize Channel 4.

Edit: ninja'd

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    It's Tory modus operandi 101. Find a well managed public industry well loved by the majority of the nation.

Do it down, defund it and turn a portion of the nation against it.

Use this minority as a reason to get it out of public ownership and sell it to "friends"

Rinse/repeat.

NHS is absolutely next after C4 and they've been doing parts of the NHS for years. It's just harder to move on .

Never vote Tory. Scum of the nation

Gone Mobile

8. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Oh, it does. Don't you know there's a culture war going on?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That bullcrap "war" doesn't need a creative sector of the economy.

10. AnarchistMando

AnarchistMando Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2021
    So why was I seen that Prince William is now dubbed Prince of pegging?

And that he had an affair with Kate's consent because she was too old fashioned to not peg him herself?

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't care about the royals' extramarital affairs or if they enjoy pegging or not.

It's not illegal and it's private. Their sex life is for them and their associated partners and that's it.

I'm more concerned about the impending insanity that will be fuel bills in a couple of months and the amount of people who will descend into extreme or even mild poverty as a result.

Gone Mobile

12. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Yeah, I don’t care how Willie gets his jollies. The UK is a raging dumpster fire at the moment, so the peccadilloes of a future monarch are of little interest to anyone.

As Burt says, fuel poverty is becoming a major concern. A friend who runs a food bank tells me that more people are asking for cooked food as they have no means to cook. This is going to hit hard when the winter comes and people can’t heat their homes.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I sympathize with that view partly. At the same time, the entire institution of the royal family is packed with horrendously stupid rules and niceties no one actually cares about. You are not going to tell me that having affairs or “pegging” people is more moral or less consequential than the supposed offenses that prompted the press and royals to chase Meghan Markle out of the country altogether. They had this and a friend(/accused co-conspirator) of a sex predator in their ranks, but the big concern was a black person. The hypocrisy is unreal.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Plus numerous opt-outs of legislation.

Away from the dysfunctional fire that is the Rpyals, moving back to the other dysfunction, the current government, it's the combination of casual lying - could Truss or Sunak go 60 seconds without lying? I don't think so - and the total disconnection from what is going on they both exhibit that is scary and depressing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    Juliet316 and FatBurt like this.
  15. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Personally, I’ve never supported the existence of a royal family. The rumours of William’s proclivities seem to be salacious gossip. There’s always been plenty of this gossip floating around (particularly in places like the Royal Navy).

As far as Meghan Markle is concerned, I never paid much attention to the narrative. From what I did read, it seems that there was a strong element of racism in the treatment she received. The press seemed to declare open season on her very quickly.

I think that the accusations against Andrew are very credible and are (of course) far more serious than anything I have read about William or Meghan. I suppose that I agree with your point about hypocrisy. That said, my opinion of the institution is so low that it never really registered.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  17. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    Yeah, that took it down another notch.

18. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I'm genuinely not sure how we won't see either Truss/Sunak going back on their promises and implementing a windfall tax on energy firms or we get a general strike in the winter:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62475171

Energy cap up 250% in a year and the government (what there is of it) doing sweet naff all about it other than some vague talk about "lowering taxes". Utterly useless.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Windfall tax or not, we're in for strikes over the winter.

The government could easily step in and limit or even reduce the energy cap and tell the energy firms to redirect profits to fund it but they won't

over 50% of the nation is anticipated to be in fuel poverty come Christmas. 13% inflation next year and a recession pending they believe will last over a year. But nope, lets reduce tax that in reality will help the most well off.
    A reduction in income or NI won't help anyone on minimum wage as they don't pay it anyway.

We have another two years of this farcical government to go.

edit made in 27mins of original posting [face_plain]
    Royal mail to go on 4 day strike in September

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it looks like we're headed for a real catastrophe and we'll probably have Liz Truss in charge.

Be afraid , be very afraid.

FatBurt and soitscometothis like this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Uh.... folks in the UK, is everything okay? I'm seeing non-satirical UK newspaper articles about "Eating Moldy Food Is Fine", "Maybe You're Drinking Too Much Water?", "Starvation Can Be Good!". What's going on?

22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well , we're looking towards a rather dangerous winter, energy bills are being forecast to go 3 , 4 , 5 times what they were, food is way up , and we're about to get a new leader who seems like an imbecile frankly. The fear is that a lot of old and poor people just won't turn their heating on and will die or go into hospital . the NHS is in a right mess after the last coupla years .

Dannik Jerriko, Jedi Ben and FatBurt like this.
  23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The Tory's voted a few months back that the water companies could release untreated waste into the sea in "exceptional" circumstances. We now have over 50 beaches effectively closed and no longer classed as blue flag and are more brown flag

Our water companies have spent more on dividends to shareholders than infrastructure and as such we are now in drought in one of the wettest countries in Europe

Our Energy firms are taking subsidies from the government but are owned by foreign governments. Gas/Electric is up 270% and will rise again in October, January AND April and the current expectation is that over 50% of households will be in fuel poverty by Christmas

We have double figure inflation

We're on course for a catastrophic recession in 2023

We have a leadership election going on and neither are saying anything to support the working man and woman in the UK but are promoting ideas and potential policies that support the richest and the racists.

Other than that, everything is fine, could be worse.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Rew, blackmyron, Mar17swgirl and 2 others like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    ****ed.
    ****ed.
    More ****ed.
    ****ed.

Also see Gez and FB's posts .

It is scary, depressing, dispiriting, all made worse by the leading contenders for the office of PM being utterly divorced from reality.

Also, it sounds like you've been reading the Daily Mail B.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    No, and hasn't been since June 2016.