main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, both are needed - active, successful regions and London. The current bunch have actively been pushing a London vs The North narrative for the last year or so. They overlooked entirely that the city / regional Mayors:

1 - talk to each other and
    2 - do so across party lines.

All the current government has is culture wars / divide and rule. Unfortunately, it can be successful.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    The vast majority of people in London would barely notice. Let me tell you there's a huge difference between having to take a bus across your city and having to travel across the country to see the civil servant who can answer your question and make a decision about it.

See above. Most people who live in the capital are blissfully unaware of what a difference it makes when it comes to contacting the central government.

3. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    See a civil servant? You think that'll happen? [face_laugh][face_idea]

As far as people are concerned they contact their local council. For Londoners, that'll be their local borough.

Most of the time I can follow what you're getting at but not this time. What you arguing for? What is wanted?

But I suspect it'll come back to something that is within the gift of central government. Guess what? They're not in a giving mood!

5. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    What am I arguing for? Decision-making, and decision-makers in civil service who are actually an hour's drive away at most of the places their decision-making revolves around, so that they can see - and be made to see - the places they make decisions about.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, that helps. I think our disagreement is only over mechanisms, rather than principles. With a side of language / country differences. (Civil service in the UK = central government only, regional / local government officers are not deemed civil servants.)

Practically, that is what local government exists for and it should be both fully empowered and funded to deliver it. Currently? Neither is true.

Central government's greatest flaw is it thinks it can and should control everything from the top down. It doesn't work.

Lordban and FatBurt like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  8. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Michelle Mone’s under a bit of scrutiny. Everyone is entitled to a fair and impartial investigation and I hope she gets that. That said, I would be very surprised if these allegations were groundless.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm just looking forward to the tabloid puns.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Finally, some good news.

13. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Good news, yes, but I think it'll be more satisfying seeing some of them fall by being voted out at the next election.

Dannik Jerriko and FatBurt like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    At this point, gone is a notable milestone.
    *How* is simply the bonus round.

Dannik Jerriko and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Guaranteed he gets a peerage to join Mone in the Lords.

16. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Hopefully he'll get booted out with the rest of them a few years from now with the much anticipated abolition of the House of Lords.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So let's remind everyone that we have a government, just before Xmas, that is so high on being a macho bastard that it thinks:

- It can win a pay dispute with the nurses, on strike for the first time in their union's history.

- Whip hatred up against striking ambulance drivers, quite literally driven to do by systenatic dysfunction, engineered by the same government that is resorting to emotional blackmail

- With the same tactics applied to train staff and posties and next junior doctors.

It's sickening just how much they glory in reigning over total dysfunction.

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    This is the Tory's winter of discontent, the only thing we're missing is marches on the street and if we end up with the often rumoured blackouts or continued strikes and cost of living issues carrying into Q1 next year there is a chance that marches could follow.

soitscometothis likes this.
  19. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Well, it's not over yet. In a strange way, I relish what is to come. This mangled excuse for a party can only laugh and crow, it has nothing else left as it slowly disintegrates under its own hubris.

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    But we all feel the pain as they do

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
  22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Hating humans one person at a time.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Depressingly this is now kind of expected at the MET based on the last umpteen years of mismanagement.

Numerous occurrences where it could and should have been identified and multiple events that raised flags which no one linked

If the leadership had any sense they would have been running a check on all historical allegations and looking for patterns. If they have any sense they should now at least start doing it and showing that they're being proactive.

If they ever want to restore public trust, this is what they have to do to begin the process and even then, they're on for a long trek. They need to show that they're rooting out their own and cleaning house.

Gone Mobile

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999