main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ultimate Mara Jade collectible!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Jack_T_Chance, Dec 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Oh, I have never even imagined something like that existed - I waited 20 years for the Leia doll I wanted - One lucky lucky person there!
    Reb

2. Goo_Child

Goo_Child Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    yeah what just is a Cygirl doll? Where do I get one? I am a 4 inch customizer, it would be awesome if I could do my fav. charactor as my first 12 inch custom.

3. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    The Cygirl line is a line of 12" dolls that are made in Japan and available in the US through the specialty market. You won't find them in Toys "R" Us or Kay-Bee Toys. You have to go through comic shops or import shops to get them.
    As for the issue of cost...
    it cost him more than $40 to make this doll. He told me what his cost was on this piece.
    As for the issue of the final price...
    how do you determine what a truly one-of-a-kind item is worth?
    Simple... you figure out how much you're willing to pay! That's what I did. I figured out how much I was willing to and could afford to pay, based on the fact that it was a truly one-of-a-kind doll. There will never be another exactly like it. He's already said that he won't make another one. Obviously, I was willing to pay more for it than someone else was. But that's what seperates the WINNER (me) from the LOSERS (them)! [face_devil]

4. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    He might not make another, but since its a custom, there are others that can do it just as well if not better. I just think $182.00 for a custom that some guy made and 100 other people could make is a little too much. Is this guy a major manufacture, probably not. I'm sure many here that are very good at customs could make one just like it. Sorry, I hope I dont sound like I'm bashing your prize, i just hate seeing someone get something and think its unique, when really it isnt the only one out their. Unless the person who made it patented it. Then that is another story. Its kinda like the fake vinale jawa, anyone can make one and say "oh its so rare". Anyway, I'm glad your happy with it.

5. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    k3po, I didn't take your comments as bashing, so no worries there. :)
    I understand your concerns. But I'm an old hat at eBay. BTW, I've been around as long as the seller has. He only has a Feedback Rating of 13 right now (15 comments from 13 unique users), but many of those were as a Seller. ALL of his Feedback is positive, with 0 Neutral or Negative feedbacks.
    Myself, I have a Rating of 21, again, with 0 Negative or Neutral. So, I have a good feeling about this guy. Everyone who bought from him in the past has been pleased.
    As for the uniqueness question...
    yes, there ARE other people making custom Mara Jade dolls from Cygirl dolls. A lot of them are using the same doll, Blaze, that he used. BUT... I've looked at many of them and there is a noticable difference in quality. Neither myself, my girlfriend, nor Mara_Jade_Fan (a trusted friend and MJ authority! :)) have ever seen one this good before. And that's good enough for me. :)
    I'd like to show you one of the "typical" converted Blaze custom Mara dolls, so you could see the difference in quality, but the one that was up on eBay last week has been removed from eBay's system. That seems to happen a lot with custom Mara figures. Apparently, LFL and/or eBay are looking for custom figures and shutting down the auctions. LFL is probably trying to stamp out the customizers that make the characters Hasbro doesn't. [face_plain]

6. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    thats great news, I'm glad you got your mara. I bet your g-friend is so excited.

7. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Okay, the other day, I was talking about seeing a typical customized Mara Jade 12" doll. Well, another's just gone up on eBay. Don't know how long it'll stay up, but....
    here's the pics:
    [image=http://www.slave-f7.com/mara2.jpg]
    [image=http://www.slave-f7.com/mara%20red.jpg]
    Click to see the images at full size.
    Now, first off, the seller is now mentioning the auction I won in his auction, with the following line:
    "A similar item recently sold on Ebay for $XXX.XX."
    Only thing is, his really ISN'T similar. It's nowhere NEAR as good. Just look at it! You should be able to see the differences right away. Here's just a few:

--Hair is a totally artificial shade of red that looks like crap.
    --"Lipstick" makes Mara look a bit too "made up".
    --The costume is the standard outfit that the Cygirl Blaze comes with. It's totally unmodified. Nothing has been done to make it look more authentic as Mara's outfit.
    --I don't know where that "lightsaber" came from, but it is definitely NOT an authentic Star Wars 12" scale lightsaber.

So, as you can see, there is a difference in quality from one customizer to another. This guy obviously thinks mentioning the higher price on another auction will help him sell his doll, failing to realize that A) his is of lower quality as a customizing job, B) his isn't one-of-a-kind, as he regularly makes them and C) I'M not going to be bidding on it! ;)

8. debeautimous

debeautimous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003

I was thinking of making one out of the titanic doll. She is usually on ebay or there are gorgeous dolls from franklin mint. They are about 130$ You would have to make your own costume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.