main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ultimate poetry challenge!!!! Come on in. There's lots of space!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Rogue_Pilot_2347, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, it wasn't easy, but I have the story finished, and I posted it. It's actually more of a vignette, if that's alright. [face_blush]

2. DancesWithBlasters

DancesWithBlasters Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 22, 2006
    :eek: How did you do that so fast???? You should post a link or something. And I think it was supposed to be a vignette.

3. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    All right. Let me see if I can clarify this four lines thing.

Say I'm participating, and my poem is Kipling's "A Dead Statesman", from "Epitaphs of the War:"

I could not dig: I dared not rob:
    Therefore I lied to please the mob.
    Now all my lies are proved untrue
    And I must face the men I slew.
    What tale shall serve me here among
    Mine angry and defrauded young?

The lines I want to use are the ones I colored red.

For the first one, I'll do this:

"I could not dig," he said helplessly, looking everywhere but into his father's accusing eyes. "I dared not rob. There was nothing else I could do."

Later in the story, for the second line, I'll do this:

The grey-headed statesman turned and faced the angry crowd. Now all my lies are proved untrue, he thought. What tale shall serve me here among mine angry and defrauded young? Helpless for anything else, he began to speak

Since this poem is in first person, using it as just part of the story wouldn't really work, but you can do that, too.

As for your question, DancesWithBlasters, no. You can't change wording or spelling. Punctuation and capitalization you can change, but other than that, the line you use must be as it is in the poem.

Basically, you can do almost anything with your lines but change wording, and, if you split a line, put the halves so far apart that they don't obviously go together.

Is that clear, everyone?

4. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Request sent for #9. This is gonna be fun!

5. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Got it, thanks! After I posted question, I realized I didn't even want to change it, but I thought it was still a valid question.

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Thank-you!

I got it now.:)

~MJ@};-

7. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    Rather than cluttering up the thread with links, if you can all pm the links to your story to me, I've started an index in the second post of the thread for complete entries.

And, you should all go check out Alexis_Wingstar's entry: it's very good. =D=

8. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I was inspired by the poem itself. It's funny how inspiration works though. The poem wasn't about a funeral, but it was about Jesus being the Lamb of God, which lead me to "sacrificial lamb" then death, then funeral. I know, it seems that's stretching, but that's how my mind works. o_O

But I got that after I weeded out the lines w/ thee and thou in them... I wasn't quite sure how I would fit those words in the SW universe! [face_laugh]

Aw, gee, thank you. [face_blush]

9. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    You're very welcome, Alexis_Wingstar.

Okay, let me change what I said in my last post. When you finish your entry, you can post a link on the thread, to let the other participants know you've finished, but also pm me the link so I can put it in the index without having to continually search the thread.

Sorry for all the changes. This is the first time I've organized a challenge, and there's just a little bit more involved than I expected (like questions about where to post entries...[face_hypnotized])

10. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    I have finally finished my viggie for # 27!!! [face_dancing]

You can view it here: A Piece of Ambiguous Guidance

Thanks for the challenge...it was really, um, challenging (gee, that sounded lame) :p

It was great! [:D]

Ant.
    ]-}

11. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    Oh Oh, can I have 23?

12. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    Okay, at my sister's suggestion, and because I want to see just what this challenge takes, I did an "example response," though this is, of course, not the only way to respond. Mostly, I just wanted to try it. Of course, my poem wasn't exactly random...but you can only do so much. Well, here it is, anyway:

Kiatha's Triumph

13. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Ooh, I want to play! :D

Number 11, please?

14. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
  15. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
  16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
  17. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
  18. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    A quick announcement: This question just came up in a pm. If the poem I gave you doesn't have a title, just use the first line as a title.

19. General_Kenobi_66

General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2006
  20. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    All right, we've got a few responses in. As of tomorrow morning, you all have one and a half weeks - that's 11 days - to get your responses written, posted, and the links PMd to me.

Keep up the good work everybody!!

21. mastermeg_0228

mastermeg_0228 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2006
    I just finished my response to the challenge. You can find it here...Revelations!

I'll also send you a PM...couldn't remember how you wanted to be notified and don't feel like reading right now, so I just did it both ways!

meg

22. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    I'm afraid I'll have to pull out. DWB's hit me hard, and I couldn't get a response underway in time. Serves me right for procrastinating...[face_frustrated]

On the other hand, the rest of these look lovely. Nice work, everybody...I can't wait to see what you've cooked up! :)

23. Darth_Manion

Darth_Manion Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 5, 2007
  24. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Unfortunately I haven't finished mine yet, but I claim illness. :p Still, this was a great challenge - really made me think about how to use the rhythm and meaning of the poem. Can't wait to try it again. :D

25. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Okay, mine is SO weird. But it had to be written just as it is. :p

I got the poem Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear...

Fuzzy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.