main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Feb 17, 2019.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    For me the whole point is that Vanya can't make a rational assessment of where she is now relative to her siblings (dead, disappeared, addicted, crimefighter reject, banished to the moon, deprived of custody of her child) because everything is filtered through her childhood experience.

2. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Going to watch this as soon as im done with punisher season 2. Excited!

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    One question. I just watched the last five minutes again.

Apart from the family, Hazell and Agnes are the only ones to get zapped out. It was blue like a portal, but unless I'm misremembering, the suitcases portal was yellow. Any thoughts on this and where/how they went?

Healer_Leona likes this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm going with suitcase portal. There was a shot of the motel room vent where Agnes was tied up that I think was meant to establish the availability of a suitcase, with the implication that Hazell took the suitcase. Also, maybe management has better suitcases, and certainly these are newer suitcases since Five blew up a lot of the inventory, so maybe the tech is a bit different. tldr: suitcase

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I had planned to binged the entire first season over the Presidents' Day weekend, but my wife saw the trailer and saw the buzz for it on social media and so she was interested in seeing watching the show too. Which meant that The Umbrella Academy like Game of Thrones would be something we would what together. That being said, my wife is typically not the binge watching person. The most she'll do is like four episodes in one sitting. On top of that, she works nights and has a rotating schedule and so it's only a couple of times during the week where we have time together. So, it might be a few weeks before I watch the entire first season.

We did watch the first two episodes and we're hooked. The 80s soundtrack is great. I really got a kick out of Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now and the characters response to it. Although, seeing how that scene played out, I was thought Billy Idol's Dancing With Myself would be more appropriate but it's also too on the nose. And speaking the soundtrack, I loved the solo violin of the theme of Phantom of the Opera. So good.

I was aware of the comic book series but never picked it up because of costs and time. Comic books aren't 50 cents anymore, nor a dollar. Anyway, now that the comic has been adapted for a TV series, I'm kind of glad I didn't read it as this is something new to delve into.

My wife is off tonight, so hopefully we can watch two or three episodes tonight.

Rylo Ken and Diggy like this.
  6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Watched the first couple episodes, really good so far.

Ellen Paige and Robert Sheehan are always great. Like the rest of the cast so far too. Good mix of seriousness and humor, quite moments and upbeat moments. Good tunes throughout, really liked the dance scene in the first episode. Looking forward to see where the story goes.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Finished the series second go around.

Loved the story, the look of it, the sound track. Can't wait for season 2.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Just finished the series tonight. Very different from the comic. A bit more emotional, not as mad.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The casting in this is phenomenal. Take Aiden Gallagher, aka Five. How goodness. Is he? In the flashback scenes, he acts like a typical 13 yo, but in the present, he really does come off as a cynical older person. He’s 15 now, so probably 14 when they filmed.

It’s the finest teen acting as an adult in a teen body performance since Jodie foster in Freaky Friday. That is some esteemed company he’s keeping.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I finished it last night. I was hooked but find it hard to 100% recommend.
    • The music was chosen really well and felt appropriate for each scene. I surprised that Gerard Way didn't sing/cover any of the music. If he did, I missed it.
    • Concerning the cinematography, it felt like a CW show a lot and I did not like that. If it the show gets a second season I hope that changes.
    • A lot of the show was very predictable, especially after the 5th episode
    • Five was the best part; I didn't like Ellen Page at all.
    • I was hooked from the 1st episode so they definitely did something right. I'm probably going to seek out the graphic novels as there felt like a lot of stuff was unexplained especially with Reginald and Pogo and others.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    We are three episodes in. Really liking it so far but
    I must admit the dance sequence in the first episode where they all letting loose listening to Tiffany
    is my favorite part so far. :)

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Way did the Hazy Shade of Winter cover that closes the final episode (iirc).

The graphic novels and the tv series are pretty different, though I think they're both good. Don't expect huge amounts of detail about Reginald and Pogo, though, the books are wild and tend to paint in broad strokes. I've not read the third volume, though.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hopefully a second season will give us more on Pogo, Ben and Reginald.

15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I had all the feels when Klaus controlled ghost Ben to save his family. What's funny is I laughed when they killed off Ben as I felt they did it because it would take the most CGI/money to animate him doing anything. I'm happy that payed off.

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    [​IMG]

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I just realized he played Dickon Tarly in GOT.

Darth Punk likes this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    FTFY

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Finished this today. Really good. Definitely going to watch it again, starting right now.

20. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Way did the cover of “Happy Together” that was towards the end of the fifth episode.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  21. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Just finished this. The kid who plays Five is remarkable. Probably the best performance from a young actor I've ever seen.

22. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007

Finished the season yesterday, wife and i said the same thing. Best actor in the aeries by far. Though kudos to hazel and whoever mo-capped/voices pogo, they were also great.

23. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Finished over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. One of the best soundtracks on tv

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well ... it was ok , if you like that sort of thing .

It did feel like a lot of other things I must say , and the moody youngsters and their emoping got on my nerves .
    I couldn't figure out what the parameters were for the powers - like 5's time travel power .

I can't help comparing it to Doom Patrol which I much prefer and I think its because UA is yet another bunch of good looking youngsters and their usual dramas , whereas DP is a much weirder and diverse group .

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I really struggled to get into this one, slugging my way through the first four episodes. I almost quit on it, but sure am glad I didn't. Even though some of the big reveal stuff was telegraphed, I loved the character development and the family dynamic. Looking forward to the next season, for sure.