main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Feb 17, 2019.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's basically The Royal Tenenbaums crossed with X-Men, and terribly written with an interesting story under it. Frustrating, but exceptionally entertaining at the same time...

2. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Just came here to say **** Spaceboy.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think that's Allison's role

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

I can read you like an open book, written for very dumb children.

the JFK thing is played out, but I think I’ll enjoy their take on it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Rew, Ezio Skywalker, Rylo Ken and 2 others like this.
  5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I can't wait to get my Dickon.

Darth Punk likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Go to sausage, Tony...

Diggy and Darth Punk like this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It looks like season 2 is not going to be exclusively about Vanya's mental health crisis/recovery, which is too bad, because her mental health problems rock. Maybe they'll devote a little bit of time to that?

Jedi Merkurian and Diggy like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    she needs to be an Uncle for that first...

Rylo Ken likes this.
  10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    spoiler alert: season 2 is very, very good.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Looking forward to watching this weekend.

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    same, looking forward to starting season two tonight

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Just watched the first episode of series two. Lots of BTTF references.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Finished the second season. Wow. I was thoroughly entertained throughout. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments in my opinion, with some great action and plot intrigue.

The scenarios pertaining to segregation are surprisingly relevant to 2020 (who would have thought?).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I liked it better than season 1, and I liked season 1 a lot.

Umbrella Academy and The Boys prove that a focus on good writing, paced character development, and relatively coherent plotlines can make just about any genre look good.

16. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I'm really quite impressed this season managed to make Luther and Diego enjoyable to me. I thought the pair were pretty weak in season 1, but they're great here. Like the first season though, my favourite parts definitely come from Vanya and Fives. Difference is that while I love season 1 in spite of issues primarily because of those two and their plotlines making it work, I didn't really have any issues that dragged the show down watching it this season. Everyone is firing on all cylinders, everyone gets great memorable moments and interesting story material. As much as I love season 1, this felt like a big step up. Of the 'weird' superhero shows that all seemed to launch last year, this and Doom Patrol have been my favourite in the first place but their second seasons have both really impressed me.

Jedi Merkurian , Rew and Rylo Ken like this.
  17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A thoroughly enjoyable season with a great soundtrack.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I quickly learned to stop saying "hey, that song's not from the early/mid 1960s!" I finally gave it up when they played the Styx 1979 hit "Renegade." Honestly, the music helped convey a sense of temporal disorientation, garbled timelines, so I hope that was intentional.

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Just finished as well. Really enjoyed this season. Five still remains my favorite character though I really liked what they did with Allison’s story and Diego. I still think Luther gets the short end of the stick though.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Jedi Merkurian and Moll like this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Quick Thoughts on Season 2 (keeping details/spoilers at a minimum)
    • I thought the music selection was very well done just like in Season 1. I saw some complaints on the cesspool that is Twitter that some people wanted all 60s music, but then were happy when they heard a song they liked
    • I think the show did its a semi good job trying to give more screen time to all the members of the Umbrella Academy but it still felt like there was too much focus on Vanya. I would have appreciated more backstory on Reginald, Pogo, and Grace than what we got
    • I didn't really like the Handler or Lila or the Swedes this season. I wasn't a huge fan of Cha-Cha or Hazel in Season 1 so I guess this tracks with my feelings from that season. The writers definitely don't make the villains likable as the main characters are barely likable themselves
    • Five continues to be the standout of this season as he was in the first. He doesn't really know what he's doing but at least he's driven. I appreciate the other characters that had purpose and driven storylines as well. I really like the actor that plays Klaus, but he just felt like he was along for the ride this season. I would have liked to see him use his powers more as well as the others. They seemed to be used pretty sparingly this season overall
    • It took me a little while to figure out that Carl and Sissy were married. He kept calling her Sis which I thought was short for "Sister" but it was short for "Sissy" which was her full name. Just a minor gripe but I thought it was a poor name choice for that character.
    • This season definitely leaves you wanting more just like Season 1. The ride was bumping just like the first, but I'll definitely come back for Season 3 if it gets green lit (which I hope it does).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This season was still frustrating with the writing at times, but it was much, much better than S1 in that regard, and all of the cast had more to do.

Also, not for nothing, but it's still amazing to me that Five's actor (who is actually like 16) is that good of an actor, and basically is the best of them, including Ellen Page (both of them are much better than everyone else).

22. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    I agree that the actor who plays Fives is fantastic and my favourite (I am mind blown that someone of such a young age can be such a good actor), but Ellen Page is terrible in my opinion. She is so bland, I do not enjoy her scenes at all, I would go as far to say her acting is cringy (this is by no means hate towards your opinion, just offering what I felt whilst watching the series). My second favourite character is Klaus, love his personality, and also offers a lot of funny moments.

I thought S2 was better than S1, although it is close as I thoroughly enjoyed both. I really enjoyed Elliot's part as well, he was quite funny and completely out of his depth...

I was actually quite sad when he died!

I agree, I would have liked a lot more backstory of all three. I would be most interested in the backstory of Reginald being expanded :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  23. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Agreed. I liked the whole cast this time around, but in both the first and second seasons I think the pair of them really stand out. Also helps that, for my money, they're given the two most interesting characters. Though I have to highlight Diego as well this time around on that front, most improved in my book. I thought he was pretty bland and uninteresting through the first season, but he is absolutely fantastic this season and they give him a lot of good stuff to work with this time. I wasn't expecting him to be a new favourite, but he's up there.

Rew and Darth Punk like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh yeah, Diego was the stealth MVP this season, especially if you look at his progression from S1 to S2...

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I just finished season two, with mixed feelings. I thought all characters, except Klaus actually, grew a lot on this season. I definitely started to like Diego, Allison and even Luther, whereas in the first season I just thought they were boring.

That being said. I have problems with everything that involves time travel and going back and changing the past. So we now have two parallel timelines, one for the siblings and one for the rest of the world, and even if I can definitely see a lot of interesting situations happening in the new present, I'm not sure it's enough to keep me interested. I liked their backstory, but now it hasn't happened, except for them. Gah, as I said I don't like plots that involve time travel.

Oh, and a question. Did the "Öga för Öga" gets translated in the English version, or did you have to wait until Five explained what it said?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    TiniTinyTony likes this.