main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The (un)Official Alliance of American Football (AAF) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I can't believe Hackenberg was a 2nd round pick.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I'm rooting for San Antonio, but this week their game is the Sunday at 7pm game. Don't they know I go to bed at 9pm?! Okay, I don't go to sleep until about 11 usually but still.

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Wk 3. Watching S.A v S.D and the stands are empty practically.

Need some asses in seats or this is going to go away before it gets going. I haven’t looked up ratings.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, there were 28,000 people in the stadium when they were actually in San Antonio. It was empty this week because it was in San Diego. And I don't know if you've noticed in the last few years, but people in SD don't really care about football.

PCCViking and heels1785 like this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Is the San Diego AAF stadium bigger than the Chargers' MLS one? lol

vin likes this.
  8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Yes... they play at old Jack Murphy Stadium.

solojones and heels1785 like this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Lol. I mean the Commanders seem to have a large average attendance, something like 27,000. But ouch :p

PCCViking and heels1785 like this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Luke02 likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I didn't even know they were still airing games, much less being played.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah NFL Network was airing them. They actually were keeping a good portion of their audience. The problem was attendance. They couldn't draw flies to their games. Ultimately it is going to have a XFL legacy. Couldn't make it as a league but made some innovations that caught on. The in game betting let's face it was a test for the NFL and they loved it so fully expect it to be part of the NFL broadcast soon.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Actually the Commanders had great attendance. We're talking in the neighborhood of and occasionally over 30,000. But other teams struggled.

Still, that's not why they are stopping Operations. It's because they couldn't reach an agreement with the NFLPA.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    damn where's Johnny Maziel going to play now? (We banished him up here in Canada and I think the AAF picked him up) He brought down an entire league!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and Juliet316 like this.
  16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG]

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But his reasoning was they need the NFL to give them players off Practice Squads or even active rosters. So it comes down to the fact that the NFLPA wouldn't do that.

Frankly, I think the NFLPA are hurting themselves. I get that they're worried about what happens when someone goes to the AAF off a practice squad to better develop, but then gets injured. But this same stuff applies to someone who is injured on an NFL practice squad. There are no guarantees there either.

Which is why this is more to me about the overall problem of injury guarantees and settlements in the NFLPA than it is about the AAF itself. The AAF is just a casualty.

I can't imagine the XFL is going to do much better if this is how the NFLPA is going to address this issue with any developmental league.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The AAF rushed their product out, without the needed capital and much foresight - I think the XFL will do better with a more experienced group of businessmen, and hopefully lynchpins of their business model will be resolved prior to their first game.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, if they can get something going with the NFLPA, then more power to them. If they don't, I won't have any faith in the long-term prospects. Also, I worry about the silliness factor. I know they are apparently downplaying that this time, but I want it to be focused on the sport, not the ... wrestling aspect.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It seem like the NFLPA could very well move in that direction but Dundon wanted it done now. I think he was just looking for any excuse to torpedo the league.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    $70M of the $250M that he pledged is non-recoverable. That's a large hit to take, would have thought much of this (given that the NFLPA never changed their stance) was obtainable information before he swooped in.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah... feels like he took this controlling share without really knowing anything. Great business move.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I think it was implied he did it to acquire the in-game gambling tech and had little interest in the league.

BigAl6ft6 and Luke02 like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So what are the final Memorial Standings of the AAF? Was there one team on top? Can they send them championship vouchers or something?