main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Funny you mention Joe Buck. As a baseball fan, I have no love lost for Joe Buck. But that being said, he might have been more tolerable to listen to during last night's game than Collinsworth. Jeez, the Pats are already essentially a dynasty. They're allowed to lose just like any other team. Things aren't supposed to always go their way.

Juliet316 and LloydChristmas like this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @heels1785

Something had to have happen behind the scenes that we don’t know about (and like you said with Belichick at the helm we most likely will never find out) because it made zero sense to bench Butler for the entire game.

TBF a bit to Collingsworth who I am not a big fan of at all, he always seems to be on the negative side of a moment then the other. I remember when the Pats beat the Seahawks the last time he called a SB, all he talk about is the Seahawks blowing it rather then the Pats winning it. Just seems to be his MO.

And Joe Buck is always way too excited for my tastes but I must say this. His call when the Cubs won the WS was picture perfect. Just the amount of excitement and letting the moment speak for itself.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I think he's just a haughty douche. Then again I'm a Bengals fan who knows his douche-itude goes way back:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Wut.

It was not a simple game plan, it was full of misdirection, requiring a magician's touch, a variety of throws and risk taking.

He had a GREAT run game. 27 for 164 (that's 6 ypc) and a touchdown. Blount and Ajayi were running all over the defense. Jacksonville led the NFL this season with 141 ypg on 4.3 ypc.

Yeah, I'm not excited about Matt Patricia, for these exact reasons. Oh, and because he's a neckbeard.

He's supposed to be a super genius rocket scientist, but the camera kept going to him last night and he didn't seem to have any answers.

I'd rather have Jim Schwartz back, though I know that's not going to happen. After that first half and obviously great game plan (which the Patriots would counter in the second half), I was thinking he may have earned himself another head coaching job.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    There was the trick play, but the bulk of what the Eagles did was short, safe routes. Long gains were nearly all RAC, except for the early stuff to Alshon that I referenced. It was a scheme designed for a backup quarterback, and ball control. Foles ran it perfectly, and then some.

83 of the 164 yards came from 3 runs in the first half. They had one single run over 10 yards in the second half, and logged only 14 yards rushing in the fourth quarter. They couldn't move the ball on the ground at the end. The Eagles o-line knocked the Pats around for most of the game, but they were able to slow and ultimately stop the run for the bulk of the second half.

I probably should have phrased it like that.

Re: Patricia - I think there's a good chance that he would not be returning to the Pats staff, were he not taking a head coaching job. Not often that you see that, but when you look at how easily Blake Bortles and Nick Foles tore that defense apart in the two games that mattered most, I think BB would opt for new blood.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I disagree.

There was more than just "the trick play". Misdirection was the key all night, and Foles had to orchestrate them, executing lots of fakes and looking off the defense, repeatedly misdirecting the defense. There were plenty of option passes with more than one receiver to go to. Several throws had to be slung sidearm because Foles had to get them out quickly. Several throws had to be made into tight coverage. That throw for the Clement TD was a deep go route to a running back that he dropped in over triple coverage. Even the huge YAC Clement got started with a floater to a running back on a wheel route. Not an easy pass.

This was not a simple game plan for a backup quarterback. It required a lot of finesse, intelligence, confidence/aggressiveness, some deep passes to open up the underneath and some difficult throws underneath. Pederson and Reich clearly pulled out all the stops, putting everything they had into the game plan, asking Foles to execute it, and he did. It was dazzling.

Those deep throws to Jeffrey count and were clearly part of the game plan. Those rushing yards before the fourth quarter count and clearly made a huge difference in the game.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    Hey guys, not sure if you caught it last night, but the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

solojones, cubman987 , dp4m and 4 others like this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    You still crying? :p

jk. Congrats, enjoy it!

13. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    Nah, I sobered up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

heels1785 likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    WookatMe likes this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I tuned into the Super Bowl yesterday and saw that a game of Madden 18 broke out.
    [​IMG]

Seriously, both offenses put up video game type of numbers with only one punt, one sack and no holding penalties. I mean, only in a video game would a person go on a 4th and goal in the last few seconds before halftime and also go 4th and 2 on the own like side of the field with TB12 on the other sideline. It was like Doug Pederson was sitting on his couch and playing Madden when he called "The Philly Special." It was as Collinsworth described in a point in the game, "fastbreak basketball." Even in the last 40 seconds or so, TB12 had a legit shot of tying the game and going into OT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congrats to Philly!

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I thought the two big reviews were cases of massively overthinking things. If you have two palms on the ball at the same time it's in your possession. This "control" nonsense they were talking about during the game was doing my napper in. If it was in the field and the catcher was seeking to gain more yards, losing the ball in the process, then it might be considered incomplete. But there were no more yards to gain. They call it the "end" zone for a reason.

And the second one. I don't know about you but, when I put one foot forward while picking the other one up to place it down again, forward of the first foot, I don't have to consult video replays for five minutes to determine whether I'm walking/running or whether I'm "catching" instead. Regardless. The guy had two hands on the ball at the same time when he slapped it onto the end zone which took two steps, one of them over an opponents leg, to get to following receipt of the ball. What the ball does immediately after the requisite scoring action is made should be irrelevant.

The main controversy I guess is that those are the kind of calls that NE get in their favour, ordinarily.

Other than that I really enjoyed a very entertaining game last night. Well done to the Eagles, and Patriots. I

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    ma_petite likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    So, Gronk's house was burglarized during the Super Bowl. Talk about insult to injury.

And with the Eagles winning the Super Bowl, the NFC East is the only division where all the teams have won at least one Super Bowl. Fly Eagles, Fly.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    @LloydChristmas -- my nephew is caddying at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am going on now... he got this guy:
    [​IMG]

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  21. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    No accusation of violence that I can see, just of him being controlling and overbearing. The whole thing with the sticky notes in her books placed by intruders is pretty scary though.

22. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Oh wow, McDaniels backed out of deal with Colts, staying in New England.

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Can't wait to see Irsay's tweets

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Got to be some sort of agreement with Krafts that he’ll be the heir apparent.

Indy should call Reich.