main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Unchosen (Qui/Obi AU) note from the author 4/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by maychorian, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    ?I?d like to stay here, sir.? He looked quickly to Qui-Gon. ?If, if that?s all right . . .?

But Obi-Wan? How will you receive mush if you leave? Silly, cute, and heavenly adorable lad... [face_love]

Another beautiful post, May. I'm really curious to see how Xanatos will fit into all this.

Great job!

2. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jedi Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2000
    I really like Nira, but something about Heim still bothers me. At least Obi is staying with Qui-Gon for a little while!

This is a great story!! I can't wait for the next post!! :D :D

3. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    kateydidnt I wonder what Yoda thinks about all this--he always seemed to have a special place for Obi-Wan.

Hmm, good question. We probably won't be hearing from the little green Master for quite a long while, though, if at all. Thanks for making me think, though!

shanobi I like this Agri-corp guy, appears to be quite forthright and sincere. The interaction between all them was done very well.

Good to hear! I really never intended for the Agri-Corps to be evil. Still saving that privilege for other figures still in the shadows. [face_devil] Mwahaha.

meg_an2006 Yay! Obi-Wan gets to stay with Qui-Gon!

For now, yes. :D

astraevirgo I'll dance with you. ::does the good story dance::

[face_laugh] You're the first one who ever danced back!

I usually copy and paste when doing replies, but if I see you around the boards, it will be virgo. ;)

Master I'm glad to hear those Agri folks aren't that bad afterall! *whew*

:D Yeah, they aren't evil. Just unobservant. Although I WOULD be interested in reading a story where the Agri-Corps IS evil . . . [face_thinking]

LuvEwan You should be very proud of this.

Thanks. :D I am, especially of my OCs. I love character, and I love writing them.

PadawanKitara So if it'a not that AGriCorps guy, then I guess we have to find someone else to be scared of

True, true. Obi-Wan is not safe, not by a long shot. [face_devil]

Seven and the fact that Obi was less that stellar with thier disicion to talk about his future without him.

Hehe, yeah. I imagined him standing in the doorway with a rather grumpy look on his face.

ithesock I loved how Qui didn't want to make them tea at first, and then thought he should have, once he realized that they weren't that unsympathetic.

It was all an exercise in intimidation for Qui, even down to brewing strong tea. :D Glad you liked!

Master_Noi He doesn't seem to have hurt Obi-Wan, but I'm still not sure of him.

Well, he did make some rather serious mistakes in regards to our Obi. Thank you for your kind permission in allowing Heim to stay. ::bows::

Gkilkenny Great Story I'll sit here and wait for more. [face_coffee]

Ooh, is that tea? I like tea. Particularly mint tea. :D Thanks for reading!

darshaassant I got a measly 12th post! *curses time differences*

[face_laugh] It still counts, trust me. I love them no matter when they come. [:D]

Bekah_K Please know that I am reading even if I don't always reply.

Thanks! And thanks for delurking, even momentarily. I'm glad to know you're here.

Shaindl Like Noi, I still have suspicions about Heim, but he can stay...

...for now.

Many thanks for your kind permission. ::bows::

:D I enjoy hearing from you! I'm always interested in your opinion.

dianethx So the question then becomes who did that to Obi-Wan? Why did they and will they try again?

Would it totally freak you out if I said "yes"? :D

solojones But truly, this story has some great interactions. And on top of that, I'm really, really intrigued by the whole concept of the story itself and where you're headed with it.

Wow, sj came to my story! ::does happy new reader dance:: Thanks! Would it sound weird if I said that I was quite curious, myself?

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Every time you post, I think I adore Qui a little more.

Aw, so good to hear. [face_love] He's a good big papa.

Bastet poor kid really needs some lovin'.

And how. I think he's going to be soaking it in for all he's worth.

Jedi_Tigris I thought it was thoughtful of Nira to offer Obi the chance to choose what he wants to do. Interesting to think that there are options other than Agri Corp if Obi really couldn't work there.

I always thought it was a little na

4. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Chapter 9: More Than a Guest

The rest of the visit passed in meaningless chit-chat, pursued by more cups of tea, fruit and tarts. Obi-Wan ate very little, and left the tea alone after one cautious sip. Qui-Gon noticed this, and wordlessly fetched a glass of water and set it near the boy?s hand, looking firmly into his eyes until the youngster sighed and nodded. He also removed a sugar-tart from the lad?s hand and replaced it with a cluster of sweetberries. Dehydration and malnourishment were twin enemies that he was determined to vanquish as quickly as possible. Better if Obi-Wan chose to be his ally in this, but he would fight alone if he had to.

But Nira?s observation proved itself true; Obi-Wan was very dutiful and obedient, even in these small matters. More?he was eager to please. Too eager. When Qui-Gon stood to walk their visitors to the door, Obi-Wan clambered to his wobbly feet as well, offering to clean up.

Qui-Gon looked at the boy steadily for a moment, but he could see the pleading in his eyes. Let me do this little thing. Let me prove that I am not completely useless. The man nodded reluctantly, and refrained from asking the boy to be careful. It was just a few dishes. Surely he couldn?t hurt himself doing that, even as weak as he was.

Once outside, Heim Shilbey headed down to the Agri-Corps speeder, parked hastily and crookedly along the street. Nira lingered for a moment by the door, fidgeting slightly with her hands.

?Mr. Jinn . . .? she began hesitantly.

He tried to look as open and unthreatening as possible. ?Yes, Nira? He?s waiting for you.?

She nodded jerkily. ?Yeah. I just wanted you to know . . . Master Shilbey isn?t so bad. He takes his job really seriously, and maybe he isn?t the softest pitten in the galaxy, but he means well. He hates to see one of his kids get hurt, and he truly believes that the Agri-Corps is the best place to be. A few years ago a recruit was seduced away . . . not by the dark side, but by a man. Two years later Heim found her living alone in a ghetto, trying desperately to feed herself and her two little children. Her . . . husband,? Nira rolled her eyes most expressively, ?had abandoned her.

?Heim set her up with a job and a home on Corellia, paid out of his own pocketbook to make sure she would be all right, or as all right as she could be. Ever since then he?s taken great care to make sure that we feel at home and happy in the Agri-Corps. I know he didn?t mean to ignore little Kenobi?s problems?he was frantic when the boy went missing, and very worried to learn that he wasn?t coming back immediately. So please don?t think badly of him . . . he never meant any harm, far from it.?

All of this said was said very quickly and quietly, and Qui-Gon listened intently. At last he smiled at the worried girl, and gently patted her shoulder. ?You are a good peacemaker, Nira. I don?t think badly of Heim Shilbey, nor of the Agri-Corps. I think Obi-Wan was meant to come here, and Julune and I were meant to help him. All is well. I am grateful for your good wishes.?

Nira bobbed a relieved little nod and hurried down to the speeder, where Qui-Gon had no doubt she was saying something similar to her supervisor. Perhaps she was telling him about how Qui-Gon had subtly taken care of Obi-Wan, even while keeping up the conversation and being a gracious host?he had noticed her dark eyes taking in every movement, every gesture, every nuance of expression and body language.

Indeed, she was a good peacemaker. He didn?t understand why no one at the Temple had seen that, and taken her as a Padawan while there was still time. She would have been a marvelous negotiator, with training and experience. A shame to waste such talent. But it was also clear that she loved her current mission, loved the green growing things under her care.

Qui-Gon heaved a silent sigh and went inside to make sure that Obi-Wan was managing the kitchen all right.

X

Julune came home quietly, poking her head in to look around a bit before entering and closing the doo

5. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    <jaw drops> Cliffie! Evil cliffie! Dooku's come...here!!

Ooh, loved how Obi fell asleep against Qui.[face_love] Made me go 'awwww....'But they're leaving in two weeks...so what'll happen then?! :eek:

Great work, May. :)

6. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    ~points to the above statement of her master and agrees~

7. astraevirgo

astraevirgo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ha, am I seriously the first one who danced back? But I love dancing!

I wonder if Qui and Julune will have to fight to take custody of Obi-Wan... and it seems that Dooku is still in the Order -- ha, it kinda implies that Qui was what made everyone go PSYCO!Evil. Not that I think there needs to be, because the family development story is lotsa fun and sweetness and interesting, but is there a grand plot that takes the galaxy by storm?

keep writing, I'll keep reading. ;)

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I was trying to think of what it is I like so much about your stories. And I figured it out with this post. This fic has such warmth to it, in the atmosphere you create, in the words you use and the gentleness of Qui-Gon and Julune. It's all so sweet and beautiful. I just [face_love] it.

And Dooku? :eek: Can't wait to see what happens next!

9. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aww, very nice! :D I love how Julune said "our Obi-Wan"- that's right, adopt him! But now what does Dooku want? Agh, need more soon!

10. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Yes I agree with everyone your stories are so full of emotion
    especially being able to make Qui-Gon sound, and be so loving.[face_love]

And WHAT does Dooko want lets hope he is a goody in this story
    but somehow I do not think so[face_devil]

11. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    Dookdookdookdookdookdookdookuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

Oh yay..... i hope he isn't dark and can help Obee!

12. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Okay, I'm a little guarded about Dooku's appearance. Gosh, I'm suspicious or maybe the word I'm looking for is over-protective when it comes to Obi-Wan. I'm hoping Dooku is a good thing.

I'm also a bit concerned that Qui-Gon and Julune are supposed to leave soon. They will take their Obi-Wan with them, won't they? [face_praying]

13. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Ooooohhhhhhhh!!!!

Dooku is here? This can only mean trouble and therefore more hugs. Is he going to try to take Obi-Wan away? I think he might....

Another wonderful post =D=

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, well, it's Master Dooku, is it? And who was his Padawan? Xanatos perhaps? I wonder that Dooku has arrived to see what is going on with Qui-Gon. It might be more that Dooku is here to take Obi-Wan back to the Temple. He isn't quite 13 yet and Yoda may have tried to get Dooku to take the boy, now that Xanatos has refused. We shall see on that point.

Loved the relationship between Qui-Gon and Julune. It is just so warm and loving. I loved that she thinks of Obi-Wan as theirs already, as if he were part of the family. The problems will be multiplying soon I think with the move, Obi-Wan not being a Jedi, the Agri-corps perhaps not allowing the Jinns to take Obi.... quite a few. Great, more story to read.

Wonderful story. Really love it!

15. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    I love the story so very much. Great job.Looking forward to more.=D=

16. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_love] I loved it! So sweet that Qui and Julune think of Obi as "their Obi-Wan".

Dooku!! Wonder why he's there? And what's he there for? o_O

17. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Dooku! Is he still good?! This is very cool, I can't wait for more! Love Obi wan he's strangely funny.

18. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Ah, so that evil that was mentioned is not the Agri-corps....and would be other figures yet to emerge??

Enter Dooku. Interesting. Very interesting. And quite timely I might add.

Love the way Julune is so intuitive to Qui-Gon and vice versa. Already calling the boy 'our Obi-Wan' :)

I too wonder what will happen when it comes time for Qui and Julune to leave Bandor. Of course Obi-Wan will just have to go with them ;)

Obi seems so sensitive to the Force. I have to wonder what his perception of Dooku will be - and if it will differ from Qui-Gon's.

--shan

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Dooku showed up? Hide Obi-Wan far away. take him off planet with them :)

20. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    *holds breath* wait, that's it? too short, need more! i'm just up sitting here reading and there's no more yet! lol, great, though. Dooku and Obi-Wan together can't be too good...

21. DarthDolly

DarthDolly Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    I just found this story, its very sweet! Looks like you have a good plot going on too, can't wait to see where you go with this. :)

22. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was so sweet! I too, loved the part about our Obi-Wan *warm fuzzies* That was so sweet!

Oh no... [face_worried] they only have a week or two left until they have to leave? Oh man... I hope they can take Obi with too.

And lookit who arrived! [face_dancing] [face_love] Perhaps he can help explain some things to Qui about what's up between them too. I'm sure Dooku will be taken by surprise that those two have formed a bond. Specially since Qui truly insn't fully trained.

Can't wait for more, Padawan of mine! Great job once again! =D=

23. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Dook Dook Dook-U *does the Dooku-dance*

Dooku :D

24. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    ithesock Cliffie! Evil cliffie! Dooku's come...here!!

:D Can you believe it? I was hoping to catch people off guard with that. Glad it worked.

Seven ~points to the above statement of her master and agrees~

What a good Paddy. ::pats Seven on the head::

:D

astraevirgo and it seems that Dooku is still in the Order -- ha, it kinda implies that Qui was what made everyone go PSYCO!Evil.

Interesting statement. Dooku actually didn't leave the Order until after Qui-Gon died, so you could say that he was KEEPING him from going psycho!evil. :D And actually, he never went totally around the bend. He truly was a political idealist, though his ideals were a bit too close to Hitler's for comfort . . .

Hmm. Well, thanks for making me think about that. I still have some pondering to do when it comes to this character. Very interesting.

Not that I think there needs to be, because the family development story is lotsa fun and sweetness and interesting, but is there a grand plot that takes the galaxy by storm?

Actually, there is. Just you wait--all sorts of little gears are starting to turn, now. ;)

LuvEwan This fic has such warmth to it, in the atmosphere you create, in the words you use and the gentleness of Qui-Gon and Julune.

Aw, thanks. A lot of it is word choice, yeah--that's how I've learned to set mood and tone. And a lot of character is in gestures and looks, even more than in words. I've learned bunches of little tricks over the years to make it work. :) I'm glad you enjoy it. I'm liking it, too.

Bastet But now what does Dooku want? Agh, need more soon!

::deep voice:: He has come for your SOUL!

::normal voice:: Just kidding. ;) But Count Dookula almost works, doesn't it?

Gkilkenny And WHAT does Dooko want lets hope he is a goody in this story but somehow I do not think so

Hehehe. Well, you are half right.

darshaassant Oh yay..... i hope he isn't dark and can help Obee!

:D Well, Qui-Gon trusts him. That's a point in his favor. We'll see how it goes, though.

Master_Noi Gosh, I'm suspicious or maybe the word I'm looking for is over-protective when it comes to Obi-Wan. I'm hoping Dooku is a good thing.

[face_love] That's okay. Obi-Wan appreciates your good wishes. Isn't that right, Obi-Wan?

Obi: Um. Yes. Thank you, Master Noi.

Such a good kid.

River_Stone Is he going to try to take Obi-Wan away? I think he might....

I just love all the guesses people are throwing out about Dooku. You make me think. And then run away laughing like a lunatic. Thanks!

dianethx The problems will be multiplying soon I think with the move, Obi-Wan not being a Jedi, the Agri-corps perhaps not allowing the Jinns to take Obi.... quite a few. Great, more story to read.

[face_love] And more to write. I'm truly enjoying this, so I'm glad you are too.

Interesting speculation on why Dook is here. I'm almost tempted to change the plot I had planned, because that would be really interesting . . .

Argh, now I'm going to be writing AUs of my AU. That's just going too far. :D

kenobiwanobi

Thanks!

Jedi_Tigris Dooku!! Wonder why he's there? And what's he there for?

I hope you weren't expecting a straight answer, because you're not going to get one. :D Thanks for reading!

Ob-wan-shawa Love Obi wan he's strangely funny.

Interesting that you would say that. I guess he kind of is, especially at the end of that chapter. He's gaining a little confidence as he receives more and more TLC from the Jinns. We'll see more of his true personality come out as the story progresses and he grows past the hurt, scared, vision-plagued child I've turned him into. :D

shanobi Obi seems so sensitive to the Force. I have to wonder what his perception of Dooku will be - and if it will differ from Qui

25. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Chapter 10: Kindred Spirits . . . Or Not

Qui-Gon let out a gasping little chuckle as he stepped aside to let Master Dooku into his home. Anything new happening? What a question! It almost frightened him to think how much his life had changed in the last few days, never mind the ten years or so since he?d last seen his Jedi friend.

?Why, yes, actually, quite a lot has been happening,? he said, and was pleased with how steady his voice was. ?Did you know I?d gotten married??

Dooku nodded deeply, once, as he crossed the threshold into the small living quarters. ?I remember receiving an invitation some years back, yes.? He frowned slightly at the sight of the tousle-haired youngster sitting on the couch, staring sleepily at him with wide, innocent blue-green eyes. ?I didn?t hear you had a son, though.?

Obi-Wan blinked, eyes widening even further. Qui-Gon cleared his throat, crossing to stand by the couch and lay a hand on the boy?s shoulder. ?This is Obi-Wan Kenobi, our young friend. He?s staying with Julune and me for a time while he recovers from a rather serious illness.?

?Hmm, yes. I thought the child looked rather peaked.? Dooku seemed to be peering down his nose at the boy, but Qui-Gon knew that this was the way the man interacted with everyone, even sentients he respected greatly. It was an entirely unconscious attitude of superiority, and it fit the powerful Jedi like a well-worn cloak, comfortable and homey. And it made Qui-Gon smile to see his old teacher looking and acting so exactly as he remembered him.

?Obi-Wan, this is an old friend of mine,? Qui-Gon said, gently squeezing the youngster?s shoulder. ?He taught me about the Force, many years ago, and we?ve kept in touch. Though not always very well,? he admitted with a wry twist of his lips.

Obi-Wan nodded, very slightly, staring up at the Jedi in something like awe or appreciation, though Qui-Gon realized that neither word was quite correct. It was almost as if the boy was . . . evaluating Dooku, and coming to a conclusion. Though what that might be was not clear. ?I?ve heard of you, Master Dooku.?

?Can?t say the same,? Dooku said, not unkindly. His thick black brows seemed to knit together. ?Though I wonder . . .?

He looked at Qui-Gon. ?A kindred spirit of yours??

Qui-Gon hesitated, thinking of the bond. ?You might say that.?

?Hmm.? Again the supercilious, questioning look was turned to the pale-faced lad. ?You should be a Jedi, just as Qui-Gon should be. The Force around you fairly sings with power. Why aren?t you a Padawan? Did your parents make the same choice as Qui-Gon?s? To keep you??

Obi-Wan opened his mouth, then closed it and lowered his head, staring down at his hands clasped in his lap. ?No.? It was a nearly-silent murmur, empty of any sign of emotion. ?No one chose to keep me.?

The black brows scrunched yet more firmly together, and Qui-Gon recognized that look of Dooku?s, the one he wore when bent to a puzzle he was determined to solve. He stepped forward to prevent the Jedi from making more blunt declarations, probing more open wounds. Dooku was not the most sensitive man in the galaxy, to say nothing of his tact.

?Have you met my wife yet? I don?t think you have. Julune!? he called, turning toward the kitchen. ?Dearheart, we have a visitor.?

A sound of clattering came from the kitchen, and after a moment Julune appeared at the doorway, wiping her hands on a towel. Her brows were knit in a disturbing mirror of Dooku?s, a slight frown gracing her perfect lips. Though Qui-Gon knew the expression wasn?t aimed at him, he felt an apprehensive shiver pass over his chest. He had learned to be wary of that face. Julune Graffon-Jinn was a force to be reckoned with when riled.

?Yes, I heard him come in.? She gave the elegant Jedi a cordial nod. ?I?m pleased to meet you, Knight Dooku.?

The man gently cleared his throat, one eyebrow raising slightly.

Julune raised a hand, nodding deeply in acquiescence, then raising her head to continue her dark stare. ?Sorry. Master Dooku. Welcome to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.