main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Unchosen (Qui/Obi AU) note from the author 4/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by maychorian, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Well !! what do you make of that
    Now I'm not sure what to make of Dooku

[face_devil] a devil in masters clothing

:D

Well done

2. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, interesting that Dooku trained Xanatos. Hmmm, I am always suspiscious when I see Dooku - big surprise, huh? *Joins Julune clattering pots and pans in the kitchen while fuming*

Poor Qui - stuck between a dear mentor, an irritated wife, and a sad, sick, neglected Obi-Wan.

Dooku seems surprised that the Order rejected Obi-Wan, but sounds like he's already getting disgruntled with the Order. I wonder if that's a good thing in this AU. I mean leaving the Order wasn't the best thing for him in the non-AU timeline.

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I loved Qui-Gon's introspections during this, and as always, the descriptions were stellar. Great job. [face_dancing]

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    [face_laugh] Loved her in this one! Mrs. Jinn juz rocks!

[face_love] Isn't he so enigmatic? [face_batting] I liked that it was him that trained Xan :D

But you gotta admit to it though, what Dooku said about letting the 'strong' ones slip thru the cracks because of their 'passionate emotions'... it's juz not right. They could be taught to curve them. Obi eventually learned, so it is possible.

Poor Obi...he isn't all that sure how to take this meeting going on. Poor kid.

Great job once more! You're doing pretty good with Dooku :D

5. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Another enjoyable post :)

I especially like Dooku's characterisation - the way you have so expertly slipped in his "dark" qualities and his loss of faith in the order is so in keeping of what we know of him in the books and films.

I still think(or more accurately hope) that Dooku is going to try to adopt Obi-Wan, but then that's just me ;)

6. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Well, that was very interesting. It sounds like Dooku hasn't changed, except that he trained Xanatos, though he doesn't seem to like him that much. You'd think the two of them would be trying to take over the galaxy by now.
    I loved Julune's reaction to Dooku, I'm glad her and Qui feel so protective of poor Obi-Wan. Now I hope Dooku doesn't try to take Obi with him, I just don't trust him! [face_worried] We'll have to wait and see, eh?
    Great post, can't wait for more! :D

7. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    :D Qui-Gon hesitated. He wanted to go into the kitchen and have a quiet little conversation with Julune, make sure she wouldn?t ?accidentally? poison Dooku?s soup.

I like the woman's spirit.. :D and of course her protectiveness of little Obi is endearing and oh so sweet.. :)

I thought it very nice that you made Dooku Xanatos' Master.. very interesting..

I also thought it very sweet when Dooku was frustrated with the council and the jedi in general for letting such a talented ;) boy not be chosen.. Obi must feel a bit grateful for Dooku even if he at first looked down on him..

Waiting anxiously for the next installment.. o_O

8. Aelan_Greenleaf

Aelan_Greenleaf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    I have just discovered this story, as I usually haunt The Saga boards, and I am absolutely hooked. Your characters are so perfect, so believable. I love the non-Jedi Qui, caring and calm, but yet still having some of the same characteristics of the Jedi Qui. Poor Obi-Wan is so troubled, yet so right, and I really like how you have him recognizing the errors in the continum of the universe. Julune is so real and fits to Qui-Gon like a glove (I really like her mama bear qualities in defending Obi!).

Great, wonderful, fantastic job! :) I look forward to the next chapter!

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm behind on reading this. Pleae forgive me? But I did want to let you know what an amazing story this is! You're incredibly talented! =D=

10. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    =D= Wonderful! I really love this story. Funny how much Q-G's being held back from the Jedi wound up having such major repercussions. I love how you've depicted all the canon chars. They all seem in character.

Thank you for sharing this.

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Ah ha! So Dooku is Xan's Master. It would make a kind of balance to have Dooku train the Padawan that Qui should have trained. Obviously he was able to keep Xan in line - probably didn't take any guff.

I loved the Julune is so protective of Obi-Wan. It was very sweet. And poor Qui-Gon caught in the middle was hilarious, him not knowing whether to stay or go and no matter which one, he would be in the wrong with someone - likely Julune.

I liked that Dooku was so upset at Obi-Wan's not being chosen. It certainly is playing along with his character and he appears to be going down the path to the Separatists even now.

Great job. I look forward to seeing where you are going to take this.

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmmm- I really don't know what to make of Dooku's outburst. That he was Xan's master was expected, but his reaction wasn't.

13. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm loving this! I can't wait for next installment. I loved the foreshadowing of the reason he left the order.

14. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    So Dooku trained Xanatos. He sounds like he's already having problems with the Jedi, and the way they're going. I find Dooku and Obi-Wan's reactions interesting, at the end of the last chapter. I hope Dooku doesn't try to take Obi away to train, he has to stay with Qui!

I loved Julune's reaction to Dooku, so protective of Obi. And poor Qui, caught in the middle of all three. :D

15. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Oooooh - very intersting stuff going on here. I thought you wrote Dooku very well. I particularly liked this part...

somehow imbuing the broken-down, sand-colored piece of furniture with the dignity of a throne,

I just love those little tidbits you throw in that give such color the characters and are so spot on. :)

You got into everyone's heads wonderfully. I loved Qui's thoughts on Julune's protectiveness and the comment about making sure she doesn't poison the man's soup :D

Not sure if I buy Dooku's righteous indignation though. I'm just natrually suspicious of the man. Though the idea of him being Xan's master is very intriguing.

Another highly enjoyable chapter - as I've come to expect from you ;) Great writing as always.

--shan

16. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Whoa. Dooku's gone all aggresive. LOL, I really liked that. :D . Also liked the way he sat down on the couch as though it were a throne and the way he removed his cloak with a swish ...you sure you weren't channeling Kyn or something? But then, she's your Master... :D

Loved how Dooku berated them all about Obi not being chosen. Go, Dook! And about how protective Qui-Gon and Julune were (heh, poisoning the Dook's soup indeed. [face_laugh] )

Bravo as usual, May!

Now I must go back to re-read Obi's convalescence. [face_love]

17. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    Oh man.... Dooku seems like the Dooku that left. So he was Xan's master, eh? And oh no... he and Julune don't seem to get along welll....

18. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    ~glances about~

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

ahem....

More soon please?

Seven

19. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    All caught up.

Dooku's got to be up to something, looking for an apprentice perhaps?. I'm still leary of Xanatos too.

20. PadawanEstel

PadawanEstel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    Hmmmmmmmm... I wonder what Dooku's up to...not sure if I trust him.
    And we still don't know who's hurting Obi!
    Dooku was Xani's Master? :eek: And he doesn't like him it seems...
    [face_thinking] Curiouser and curiouser... but still awesome. ;)

21. astraevirgo

astraevirgo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2003
    In reply to your reply, I didn't know when Dooku left the order... but even if Qui-Gon kept him from leaving while he was alive, I think the two must have been estranged or something, because Obi-Wan in Episode 2 had no idea that Dooku was his "grandmaster". (In fact, my friend and I had a great deal of glee figuring out the lineage of the jedi master-ship.) That estrangement is interesting, especially since Xanatos and Dooku were drawn to one another and became Master and Padawan and seem to be fighting. I really like the way the relationship dynamics are shaping up... I think you've already put a great deal of thought into this, and it shows. Qui-Gon's role is so ambigious.

I also appreciate the way that Qui-Gon thought about what was bothering Julune. He thought it was simple misunderstanding, but realized it was Dooku's presence as a Jedi. I think that's pretty awesome. I loved the feel of those two paragraphs.

Obi-Wan/Dooku stare down? Begs the question of what the two of them are thinking. Dooku seems very true to character, and that's pretty awesome. What did Obi-Wan do that he didn't want to be reminded of? And I wonder if Dooku's reaction redeemed himself in Julune's eyes at all...

Faithfully waiting for more. =D= Cheers.

22. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    *claps* For never writing Dooku before, that was great!! I love the portrayal of his anger, excelent writing. Can't wait to read more!!!

23. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Gkilkenny Now I'm not sure what to make of Dooku [face_devil] a devil in masters clothing

Hehehe. I'm going to try to keep you guys guessing for awhile. It's so fun to drive my readers nuts!

Master_Noi *Joins Julune clattering pots and pans in the kitchen while fuming*

Julune: Welcome to the party, Master Noi. Soup?

We'll see how it goes with Dooku. I'm still playing with whether to make him good, evil, evil-with-good-tendencies, or good-with-evil-tendencies.

LuvEwan I loved Qui-Gon's introspections during this, and as always, the descriptions were stellar.

[face_blush] Thanks. Qui-Gon is a wise man.

Mastar But you gotta admit to it though, what Dooku said about letting the 'strong' ones slip thru the cracks because of their 'passionate emotions'... it's juz not right. They could be taught to curve them.

I agree, absolutely. Dooku's an idealist, and he does make some good point. Extremists usually do. :D

I'm glad you like Julune! :) My fav review for this chapter over at ff.n was something along the lines of "YOU FREAKIN ROCK!" which made my day, oddly.

River_Stone I still think(or more accurately hope) that Dooku is going to try to adopt Obi-Wan, but then that's just me

:eek: You want DOOKU to adopt Obi??? Yeah, I think that's just you. :p

Bastet It sounds like Dooku hasn't changed, except that he trained Xanatos, though he doesn't seem to like him that much. You'd think the two of them would be trying to take over the galaxy by now.

:D That would be fun! Shoot, now I'm going to have to write an AU of my AU . . .

LumiKuningatar Obi must feel a bit grateful for Dooku even if he at first looked down on him..

We aren't clear on Obi's feelings in this, yet. Everything has been written from Qui's perspective so far. I think that might change soon, though. The story is going to get too wide-spread for Qui-Gon to see all of it.

Aelan_Greenleaf Your characters are so perfect, so believable.

Welcome, new reader! ::does happy dance:: I'm glad you like the characters. I work really hard on them. And I'm pleased that you like Julune! :D She's fun to write. And as she's mine, of course I was able to make her just perfect for our Quiggy.

VaderLVR64 I'm behind on reading this.

Fallen behind? :eek: How shocking! You might you have other things to do than read fanfiction all day long?

:p No problem. Just checking in once in a while lets me know that I haven't chased you off somehow. Thanks! :)

Lurkalidth Funny how much Q-G's being held back from the Jedi wound up having such major repercussions.

Welcome, new reader! ::does happy dance::

Thanks! It's fun to play with what-if storylines. If you start thinking about it, Qui really did have a huge influence on galactic events, for good or ill. It will be interesting to rewrite it my own way.

dianethx Obviously he was able to keep Xan in line - probably didn't take any guff.

Interesting comment. Yeah, that's exactly where I was heading with the Xan storyline. I don't think Dooku "loved him like a son," so he wouldn't be as blinded to the boy's faults. Though that's straying dangerously close to saying that it was Qui's fault that Xan turned, which it wasn't. [face_worried] Ah well. I have more planned with the Xanman. Just you wait.

PadawanKitara Hmmm- I really don't know what to make of Dooku's outburst. That he was Xan's master was expected, but his reaction wasn't.

:D I like to keep you on your toes. Sometimes I'm not quite sure what to expect from the Dook, either. He's interesting to write.

Ob-wan-shawa I loved the foreshadowing of the reason he left the order.

Welcome, new reader! ::does happy dance:: Ah, glad you caught that. I was trying to be subtle, but not too subtle.

Jedi_Tigris I hope Dooku do

24. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Chapter 11: Unlocked Doors

Again four people sat elbow-to-elbow around the tiny table in the cramped kitchen, and again unspoken tensions and wariness filled the air, but this time no one made any effort to discuss what was troubling them, to question and seek answers. Qui-Gon found himself longing for that long-ago tea with the Agri-Corps, less than half a day ago. They had been on the verge of complete distrust, but at least they had resolved their issues. And these three ought to be friends, as close to each other as they were to Qui-Gon?or so he believed. All in all, it was quite disheartening.

Julune refused to speak directly to Dooku, and only looked at him when it was absolutely necessary. When she touched the soup pot, Qui-Gon could have sworn he saw the temperature descend at least two degrees. Her attitude toward Obi-Wan was as warm and open as always?even more so, perhaps?but there was definitely an edge beneath the words she aimed at her husband. She was disappointed that he didn?t throw the Jedi out on his rear, obviously.

Dooku seemed oblivious?he chatted companionably, answering Qui-Gon questions about what he?d been up to and asking his own, laughing at the same old jokes and stories they had always told each other. But Qui-Gon noticed the speculative eye that was turned to the boy every now and again, and the thoughtful glances thrown toward Julune. Dooku was not the best diplomat in the Jedi Order, but he had the makings of a fine politician, always aware of the unseen interplay in a room.

Obi-Wan?s reaction, though, was most troubling of all. He had turned very, very quiet, rarely looking up from his soup bowl. He slowly crumbled the crackers Julune pressed into his hand to fine, grainy dust, crushing them deliberately against the table with the tip of his finger, crumb by crumb. Qui-Gon watched the level of soup in his bowl, hoping for a rapid descent. But by the end of the meal it was obvious that the boy had eaten only a few bites, if that.

He exchanged a worried glance with Julune. This was not progress. Perhaps she had had the right idea from the beginning?Dooku?s presence was not doing their young charge any good at all. A locked door might have prevented this.

But it was too late now. The door had been opened, and things were starting to creep out from the darkness in the closet. Qui-Gon had known that Obi-Wan had many troubles that would need to be dealt with. He had hoped for more time to let the child relax and grow comfortable in his new surroundings, but perhaps it was just as well to bring it all into the light as soon as possible. It could only fester, shoved down and hidden in the blackness.

?Take another Padawan?? Dooku laughed, responding to Qui-Gon?s latest question. ?I think not! Training young Xanatos was enough aggravation for a lifetime. You do recall that my hair wasn?t completely white the last time we met??

Qui-Gon grinned. ?True, true. But I assumed that it was simply because you are no longer middle-aged.?

?Teasing me about my age now, are you?? Dooku wagged a finger in good-natured warning. ?I?m quite capable of slapping you down for that, you insolent little wretch. And you?re not that much younger than I, if you?ll recall.?

Qui-Gon sat back in his chair, lacing his fingers over his chest in contentment. This was the Dooku he remembered, the playful back-and-forth they had perfected over months and years of easy companionship. ?Fifteen years is a long time, old man.?

?Not nearly long enough,? Dooku grumbled. He cast an appraising glance up and down his old student. ?Forty-three and expecting your first child. It took you a long time to find your place in the galaxy.?

Qui-Gon sat forward, letting his hands fall into his lap. This was a serious comment and deserved a serious answer. ?I don?t think anyone truly ever ?finds their place? in life. Roles change and develop over time?people evolve, and their characters mature. Earlier in my life I was a wanderer, and for a time I was your student. Now the moment requires that I be a

25. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Obi-Wan?s eyes flew open. That wasn?t Qui-Gon?s voice.

Oh Sith. (I like the curse, I can get away with it at work!)[face_devil]

Excellent posting, and what a cliffie to end on! Qui-Gon is gonna be on PO'ed man when he realizes what's happened! And poor Obi-Wan!!!:_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.