main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The 'Union' comic is one of the most fun, cheesiest, ridiculous SW stories I've ever read

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    You know, that's rather plausible - seeing as Wookieepedia says he's one of the ushers, and shows him with a beard:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gavin_Darklighter

It was not long afterwards, in squadron headquarters on Coruscant, that Darklighter heard the news that Skywalker was engaged to be married toMara Jade, ex-Imperial assassin and Karrde's right-hand woman. Darklighter had grown to know the Skywalker-Solo family in his time in Rogue Squadron, the military unit most closely tied to the Heroes of Yavin. He was invited to Skywalker's surprise bachelor party, held in the Red Rancor cantina on Coruscant. The festivities had barely begun before a swoop gang picked a fight, causing a huge bar brawl. With multiple Jedi, Rogues, and smugglers involved, the bachelor party quickly emerged victorious. At the wedding itself, Darklighter served as an usher. When Karrde learned that there would be an Imperialist attack on the ceremony, however, Antilles took command of the defense and recruited Darklighter, several other Rogues, Chewbacca, and a few Jedi to help counter the threat without disrupting the wedding. Darklighter seized a blaster and, with Antilles and Celchu, held the main door against a swoop gang hired as a distraction. Through the combined efforts of the guests, the attack was averted.[22]

[​IMG]

2. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I think people were basing it on the shirt, which looks pretty damn close to what Kyle was shown wearing in Dark Forces II. Art matches Darklighter in the first issue, though.

3. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Kyle in this era would be awesome. I loved the depiction of him in that Tales comic set during the NJO.
    [​IMG]

4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Are we talking about Union again?!

[​IMG]

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i agree with ridiculous, and cheesy. i didnt like the comic,. but i loved the event

6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Best comic ever!

If only the EU had lasted to do a second Union comic about Jaina and Jag's marriage for the next generation. I can already see the story unfolding with many fun paralells to this one and callbacks to other EU bits and lots lots of depicted EU characters in it. *nostalgic mode*

Slater, Hopeless, Amon_Amarth and 5 others like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    An extended story for Jaina and Jag's Wedding would have been amazing. Han and Soontir Fel, being related, Luke and Wedge being related, etc. Luke, Han, Leia, Jaina, etc. reminiscing on Chewie, Anakin, Mara, etc. Jaina's YJK friends, Wedge and Syal meeting again. Rogue and Wraith antics, etc.

Slater, Nobody145, Iron_lord and 2 others like this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    OMG this comic. People were so happy. So. Happy. I've never seen any of those characters so happy. I think sometimes you need to do that, just give the characters a spa day. And insert the entire cast of all novels in one comic. Everyone gets a spa day.

9. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    And the fact that Hobbie and Janson immediately assume Booster's referring to them when he grumbles about some idiots makes me unreasonably happy.

10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Hobbie and Jansons EU personalities is what I miss most from the EU.. well that and some redheads.

But hey, Marvel is too busy to seriously do a Union comic unless the Aphra creators do it, they got the vibe down. IDW could be game though! Have it be a nice event like the Halloween Tales from Vader's Castle with flashbacks across various timespots and characters and a connecting frame story... Cavan Scott and few others uniting for it?

Project Luminious... ???

Yeah I know... wishful drinking... ah thinking!

Edit:

PS: Why does Galaxy's Edge Baatu not have a spa? When they finish the SW themed hotel I pray it has a SW themed spa! Towel Day Cosplay here I come! We need to get a group together for a Union themed pic then.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Mara picking out the dress was priceless. And yes, everyone was so happy. It was kinda coffeeshop AU before coffeshop AU was a thing.
    I second Union II with Jaina & Jag's wedding.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I love that comic, haven’t read it in years but have been going over tfu and tfu2 novel and game. Boy they were interesting stuff from legends. The empire in legends had a lot of cool trooper divisions, can’t say the same for new canon

13. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    u havent actually looked at the troopers in canon have u ? cause theres alot we get a new one or a few every peice of the IP from the mando and fallen order alone we have three new varriants of the flame trooper

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Dear lord I need to buy this again its been years since I last read it!

15. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    I enjoyed the story, but wasn’t too thrilled with the art. I remember having a real difficult time telling the male characters apart, other than Luke and Han.
    I did get my Union issues and trade signed by Michael Stackpole though!

16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Lets be bold, I now demand a new canon version of the Union comic featuring the wedding of Poe Dameron and Finn!!! Bring it Star Wars!

Bonus points if Klaud is officiating it!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Doompup likes this.
  17. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Apparently unused cover art for the beloved Star Wars Union comic found its way online.. while not strong on character likeness i like its fullness: [​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

18. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Despite purportedly having high-tech medicine and state of the art healthcare, skincare was never a priority in the Galaxy Far Far Away.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ...what.....................theheck.

Jeff_Ferguson, Slater, jSarek and 5 others like this.
  20. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I hereby nominate "not strong on character likeness" as TFN Understatement of the Year.

21. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    There, on the horizon, was all Man was not meant to know.

22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    just pretend Luke's Dark Empire stint got to him after all showing the effects but he used illusions to look like his young ROTJ self akin to Palpatine using them in ROTS before the "mask came off" moment. Either that or FOTJ Epilogue: An Apology is true after all and this is Luuke...

I am more worried about Mara though... what the heck did that beauty spa trip the girls forced her on do to her? And... WHY pink?

cthugha, Golbolco and Watcherwithin like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I never read it, but I know who it's supposed to be about, and that ain't them.

Jeff_Ferguson, Riv_Shiel and Golbolco like this.
  24. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I remember seeing this when it circulated on Reddit, it's certainly got character. I wonder what the thinking was, it's clearly not a style that fits the story. Igor Kordej's art does sometimes tend towards the grotesque, but usually not this much - he did the Tales of the Jedi: Redemption covers just a year earlier, which are a lot more palatable.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That looks like an ad for a feel-good romantic comedy movie about the undead.

So I guess this is what happens when characters don't get a spa day.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022