main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Unofficial YJK Continuation Planning Thread (All members check in, writing begins May 27th!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Soulwalker, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    Welcome to The Completely Unofficial Continuation of the Young Jedi Knights Series (otherwise known as "How it was *Supposed* to Happen) Planning Thread!

This project is sponsored by The Official Tenel Ka Fan Club.

Begun as a random idea, this project quickly took a life of its own and has become for a group of diehard YJK fans, a means of "striking back" against the horrible thing known as the NJO. Picking up directly after Crisis at Crystal Reef, this project is to become a massive AU that will follow the path that the aforementioned YJK diehards believe the NJO should have taken.

The current members of this YJK diehard circle are as follows (in alphabetical order):
    -Tenel-Ka-
    Elven_Jedi_Maiden
    jacesolo1138
    Jaina_Fel_06
    LadyMairead
    NaboosPrincess
    Rogue_Even
    Rogue_of-Peace
    Rose_Skywalker
    Soulwalker
    The_Standmaiden
    Trickster_Jaina_Fel

If you are a fan of the YJK and an able author who wishes to contribute to this project, feel free to post in this thread with your request to join. All that is required of you is a link to your earlier work and the reason for which you wish to join.

To the fans of the NJO: please do not post in this thread with flames. We are not attempting to bash the NJO, we are only expressing our dislike for its blatant disregard for YJK, and have decided to become vocal about it. Discretion on your part will be most helpful.

Now that the introductions are out of the way, the first brainstorming meeting will be on Thursday, May 8th at 9:30PM Central Time on AIM. For those of you who do not know my screen name, it is: ZadkielWulfran. If you don't have me on your list, add me and I will pull you into the chat.

If you are unable to attend the meeting, a transcript of the entire chat will be saved and sent to you for your benefit. Due to timing and IM program conflicts, further meetings will most probably be held in this thread itself.

That is all for now; I hope this project gets off to a great start! :)

2. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Hey guys, NaboosPrincess here, just checking in. ;) I'm really looking forward to working on this project; I think it's going to be a lot of fun. :)

I'll post the links to my two TF.N Fanfic Archive stories below, for those who are interested in my past work:

They Let Me See the Stars at Night

True Happiness

:)

3. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    Hey guys, NaboosPrincess here, just checking in. I'm really looking forward to working on this project; I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Indeed it will be. ;)

4. Jaina_Fel_06

Jaina_Fel_06 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2002
  5. DropkickJake

DropkickJake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    sup soulman?

great idea... i love to join up, if y'all want me

link to the only fic i've published (altho its not yet done) is in my sig.

i'll try and make to the im thing tonite, but im not sure if i can

6. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    *waves happily at 06* good to see YOU here :D ;) TJF = very happy you converted ;)

Greg[/b -- i take it you don't need links to my stuff? :D :p

anyway, just checking in :)

~TJF

7. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    Jaina_Fel_06: I have no qualms in allowing you to join, and I know that TJF supports you, but I'll bring your request up at the meeting tonight to see what everyone else thinks. :)

DropkickJake: Sorry, man, but you need to have at least written one Star Wars fic in order to be able to join up. [face_plain] I'll still mention your name at the meeting, but chances are that you might have to sit this one out, bud. Thanks for taking the time to apply, though!

And no, TJF, I don't need links to your stuff. One, I already read it, and two, you're on the list. :p *Smacks you with the "Silly Stick"* :D

8. Elven_Jedi_Maiden

Elven_Jedi_Maiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2003
    Elven_Jedi_Maiden checking in as well!
    Can't wait to get to work on this project... ;) :D

9. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    EJM needs to weasel an IM prog out of her parents if it's at all possible. ;)

10. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    How did i get left in the dark about this!

I'm in! You all know my story, go read it agian, just to humor me! :p

11. Elven_Jedi_Maiden

Elven_Jedi_Maiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2003
    EJM needs to weasel an IM prog out of her parents if it's at all possible.

*bursts into tears, then slinks off to wallow in her own cowardice* :_| :_|

12. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm here now too! And here's my fic: Shadow Legacy

Aw, don't feel bad EJM! :(

13. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    JF06 & Rose: You're both in. :) And Rose, thanks for dropping in on the chat to help us out; it was much appreciated. :)

EJM, don't worry about it. [face_plain] We're cancelling any further chat meetings becuase the timing conflict allows very few of us to meet at the same time; fewer if you count difficulties because of prior obligations. :p All further discussions will take place here. :)

And nice to see you've decided to drop in, TSM. :D

As for the chat, the attendants were as follows: myself, TSM, NaboosPrincess, and Rose. You all know how the privacy deal works, so don't give out anyone's AIM SN's. :p I think all those within this circle more or less know each other, so it should be fine. :)

At any rate, we decided that everyone in the group needs do one thing. That is:
    -Everyone needs to re-read, or in some cases read, Crisis at Crystal Reef at some point in the next few weeks, if it's managable.
    If we don't brush up on YJK, we're all going to be floundering on plot direction, hehe.

Once you've all run through the copies of that chat that I'm about to e-mail, please continue the discussion as if you'd been there last night. :)

14. Jaina_Fel_06

Dec 17, 2002
    Coincidentally, I just reread CaCR last week. :)

So what we have so far is:

Master/Apprentice pairs:
    Streen/Jacen
    Mara/Tenel Ka
    Luke/Anakin

Personally, I think Kam would be a good master for Jaina. He's strong enough to handle her, but he's definitely not arrogant. He'd be good for her, IMHO. That is, if we are doing cross-gender pairs. If not, I guess the only person left is Tionne? :confused: But I don't think she should train with Mara. :)

So is Zekk going to continue his training or not? I was also a bit confused on that issue...

Where exactly is this going to pick up? Right at the end of CACR? If that's the case, then there needs to be a graduation from the praxeum close to the beginning... and then Streen, Mara, Luke, and whoever Jaina's and Lowie's masters are can accept them as apprentices or whatever. I see two possible angles of turning Zekk into a smuggler, if that is what's going to happen. a)He decides voluntarily not to continue his training because he's afraid of the Dark Side, as someone mentioned. b)No one chooses him to be their apprentice and hurt, he leaves. I don't know... just my two cents. :)

I can't wait for this to get started-- I'm really looking forward to working on this! :D

15. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    Personally, I think Kam would be a good master for Jaina.

I think I suggested this somewhere in the chat, but I'm still hesitant about the idea because they don't share very much common ground at all. [face_plain] Jaina is really unlike any of the Jedi Masters that are present at the Praxeum at the end of CaCR, which presents itself as a problem. But I think Kam would be one of my top choices. Perhaps we could make an angle for them to be more perceptive of each other...?

So is Zekk going to continue his training or not? I was also a bit confused on that issue...

IMO, at least, Zekk should leave the Praxeum of his own accord. This should be more out of shame than fear of the Dark Side, however, since the paranoia factor really hampers his character in the NJO. As we don't have to follow anything that the NJO has established, I was thinking we could make him a more resolute character. :p

Where exactly is this going to pick up? Right at the end of CACR?

You got it. :) And yeah, we need to discuss the entire graduation thing, hehe. Now, if only more people would show up... :p

16. Jaina_Fel_06

Dec 17, 2002
    IMO, the two people that need to be un-wimpified most are Luke and Jacen, with Zekk right behind. The NJO makes them out to be sissies that care more about how their hairstyle affects the universe than the fact that their friends and relatives are DYING. Just don't get me started even more so than I am already... :p

Anyways... are we sticking to the YJK pairings, even though Zekk goes away? I hope so... :D And also, is Kyp going to be in these at all? Cuz I don't recall him being in the other books...

I know, I know, I'm just full of questions... :p

17. LadyMairead

LadyMairead Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Hello everyone. *waves* I stumbled on this thread a while ago, and it looks like a great project! If it's acceptable to everyone, I would love to be involved.

While I must admit that there are some parts of the NJO that I really enjoy, I also adored the YJK books, and I'd be thrilled to explore the characters more. I can be the Official NJO Defender/Devil's Advocate of the group. :p

Anyway, here are the links to my two fics: Shades of Gray, and Deconstructing Jaina; as well as my one vignette: A Heavy Stir.

So, as I said, if no one objects, I'd be very excited to become a part of this project. Thanks! :)

18. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    Welcome to our little group, LadyMairead! :) I'm glad you decided to drop by, your skills precede you in my case, hehe. I'm sure everyone else will be happy to have you aboard. ;)

IMO, the two people that need to be un-wimpified most are Luke and Jacen, with Zekk right behind.

Agreed. I say that we make Luke a slightly more forceful teacher; one that won't bend and sway like a tree in the wind to ensure that his students don't get hurt through their process of mastering the Force. He needs to let them learn from their mistakes, but never seems to want to let them make any without holding their hands.

As for Jacen, he definitely needs to be toughened up when we start this project. Nature boy has to be somewhat replaced by someone with a little more backbone. :p As for Zekk, I think the NJO is what made him seem weak. After CaCR, he's definitely tough physically, but he's still recovering emotionally. I think we should use these new scars to make him harden up a little bit, become emotionally dim or something, you know?

Anyways... are we sticking to the YJK pairings, even though Zekk goes away?

I'd like to, hehe. :D

also, is Kyp going to be in these at all? Cuz I don't recall him being in the other books...

He wasn't in YJK, but it would be interesting to bring him in...in conjunction with Anja, maybe? :p

19. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    we may just need to come up with an OC for Jaina's master :p

as for Zekk -- perhaps he could train for a while under a master, then try to use his abilities in different areas, ie: smuggling with karrde :p zekk didn't really have any warning when he found out he was force sensitive -- upon finding out he was immediately brainwashed by brakiss, brought back to the light suddenly by jaina, went around as a bounty hunter for a while, then went right into being a jedi. meanwhile, jacen, jaina, tk and co had more warning -- making them more emtionally prepared to set their personal lives to the side and help protect the galaxy. (my reasoning probably doesn't make much sense written this way, sorry -- all my eloquence is currently going into RotJ's post) in that way, i think it would be understandable for zekk to drift away from the jedi -- not completely, but it wouldn't be his first priority...kinda the way leia is, except more training and a lot less politics :p

anyway, if that made sense to people, let me know... :p

~TJF

EDIT -- lots of K/A fans out there. and we have to stick with YJK pairings! isn't that one of the biggest NJO-wise complaint from YJK fans - that the pairings are getting left behind or screwed up?

2nd EDIT -- i can't seem to keep up with this thread... :p anyway, cool! LM's aboard, then? :D very cool :cool:

20. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    I have a burning question already ( :p ): Will you be considering the introduction of any Original Characters, or will it be all canon characters from YJK? I can definitely see the problems inherent in creating OC's on a collaborative project, but I was just wondering.

Also, I love your idea, TJF, about Zekk joining Karrde's smuggling group! That seems as if it would fit his personality perfectly.

EDIT: I can't keep up either! :p *grins and waves at TJF* I'm so excited!

21. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    we may just need to come up with an OC for Jaina's master

Hehehe, yeah, we need to come up with someone just as crazy as she is. :p Oh, if only Mirax were a Jedi... ;)

upon finding out he was immediately brainwashed by brakiss, brought back to the light suddenly by jaina, went around as a bounty hunter for a while, then went right into being a jedi. meanwhile, jacen, jaina, tk and co had more warning

Which bolsters my opinion that he should take an extended break from the Praxeum and all things Jedi to allow himself time to recuperate and figure out what he wants to do with his life, hehe. I think Karrde would be the perfect person to take Zekk under his wing for awhile; it'd give us some serious ways to develop's Zekk's personality. :) Perhaps he'd get there through special reccommendation from Mara...?

lots of K/A fans out there. and we have to stick with YJK pairings! isn't that one of the biggest NJO-wise complaint from YJK fans - that the pairings are getting left behind or screwed up?

Three cheers for TJF!!! :D

22. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    What about some random Jedi that was briefly mentioned but didn't go through the traditional training at the Praxeum? Isn't Kell Tainer's wife a Jedi, for instance?

Thanks, Soulwalker! Y'all are so welcoming, I really appreciate it. :)

23. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    here's hoping i'm not five posts behind... 8-}

Will you be considering the introduction of any Original Characters, or will it be all canon characters from YJK? I can definitely see the problems inherent in creating OC's on a collaborative project, but I was just wondering.

no doubt we'll have to make *some* OC's -- it's kind of hard to stick to only the original scooby doos :p however, we probably won't make many...

Also, I love your idea, TJF, about Zekk joining Karrde's smuggling group!

unfortunately, i can't claim responsibility for coming up with that idea :( :p it was discussed in the AIM chat that Greg sent me and i thought it was a good idea so i brought it up again 8-}

Hehehe, yeah, we need to come up with someone just as crazy as she is.

we're talking about YJK-Jaina...she's not really insane yet! the point of this thread is to drown ourselves in NJO-denial ;)

I think Karrde would be the perfect person to take Zekk under his wing for awhile; it'd give us some serious ways to develop's Zekk's personality.

the more smuggler-zekk is brought up, the better of an idea i think it is...force, i'm gonna LOVE working on this... :D

Isn't Kell Tainer's wife a Jedi, for instance?

:eek: :eek: LM, you're *brilliant*! didn't she go off on her own in the galaxy to figure it all out on her own? kinda like luke...i could definitely see *that* working...*ponders* oh that could be sooooooo much fun :D

~TJF

24. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    What about some random Jedi that was briefly mentioned but didn't go through the traditional training at the Praxeum? Isn't Kell Tainer's wife a Jedi, for instance?

I don't know much about her, which means that I have some research to do. Unofficial Encyclopedia, here I come! :p BTW, the transcript has been sent to your e-mail, LM. :)

no doubt we'll have to make *some* OC's -- it's kind of hard to stick to only the original scooby doos however, we probably won't make many...

We'll make some, but not many. In cases of large, group written projects such as these, we can't afford to have too many OCs because the entire group will have to be able to write that character fairly similarly.

we're talking about YJK-Jaina...she's not really insane yet! the point of this thread is to drown ourselves in NJO-denial

Point well taken. :p

25. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Oct 3, 2002
    We'll make some, but not many.

isn't that what i just said? ;) :p

In cases of large, group written projects such as these, we can't afford to have too many OCs because the entire group will have to be able to write that character fairly similarly.

just keep an eye on my ideas for OC's -- they're liable to end up dark/troubled (*cough*sanar*cough*) or...well, actually, i have a list of how they can turn up :p

~TJF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.