main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What about the people who never got a student loan? I’m one of them. I can’t say I care. You know who else that includes? Families wealthy enough to provide education without having to take out loans.

What is your source for saying a fair few wealthy people have student debt?

They should get this benefit because it would be good for the country. The burden of student debts and the benefit of waiving it are known. The only concern is the same old story about personal responsibility.

2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    I’m for means tested student loan forgiveness but it doesn’t solve the wider problem of (increasingly necessary for success) higher education becoming extremely expensive and an anchor holding down the economy and making the United States less competitive with the rest of the planet. (See also: Boomer Trolley)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think a set amount of forgiveness, like $10-20K, could go a long way for a lot of people. Plus 0% interest in the remaining balance.

I do agree somewhat with your sentiment. But only because of one thing. What often gets overlooked in this conversation is that a huge chunk of the overall student loan debt is attributed only to a small portion of debt holders because their loans were so sky high. Easily between 60-100K, and many who are well above that. One medical school grad could easily be 300-500K in debt afterwards, and that's seen as completely normal in that field. And I think blanket forgiveness will really only go towards helping those few people who have racked up a great deal of student debt, especially since it would likely come at the expense of making it fair for all. Which brings me to my next point.

As far as fairness goes, I think they can then come up with a longer term option that those who did not seek out the loan forgiveness can then qualify for an education grant for that same amount. No questions asked.

Another big issue I keep seeing is that there also needs to be reform in how much education costs. Which is a whole can of worms nobody seems to want to touch right now.

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Give $10k to everyone - but if you have student loans, your $10k goes on that.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That would shut up those people who complain about not getting their student loans forgiven

Yodaminch and Luke02 like this.
  6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It doesn’t even need to be 100%. 50 or even 25% could make a massive difference in the lives of many.

Take me for instance. I went to state school. Took out one private loan my freshman year and one more my sophomore year. The other loans were the ones offered to me by the federal government and were the non-subsidized loans. By my junior and senior year, I made do with these loans and the money I had from working. I worked 4 out of my 5 years of college - having to take an extra year due to math requirements delaying me from starting my major on time.

So that is the first thing to note. College is not 4 years for many students now. It can be 5 on average for some due to the core requirements (which I think should be removed unless it ties to your major).

Second, when I finished, I came out into the recession. No jobs. No full time ones anyway. So I went to grad school and got a job as an intern where my classes were paid. I deferred my loans which should have been interest free because I was attending class- but later found out they weren’t doing that exactly and I still took a hit. Also, my loans got sold multiple times. So in the end, I had people telling me I owed them money and had no idea who they were.

My current job qualifies for the loan forgiveness program but I couldn’t get anywhere with that for the past 4 years thanks to Betsy and her department.

Now, I am nearly done paying off my non-federal loans, but the federal one almost exceeds the cost of what my tuition should have been for 4 years of college. And as a state college, it was roughly $25,000 for that time. So the interest alone is a killer despite attempts to refinance. As a result I stayed home and have steadily paid these loans back.

If the government were to forgive 10,000, that would do wonders for my credit. I’d still owe the non-federal loans but I estimate I could pay those off in 2-3 years now. If more was forgiven, I could look at apartments.

In the end, people like me would massively benefit the economy because our credit would improve and we could then purchase other things that improve other areas of the economy such as housing and retail. It’s a win-win for the economy.

7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    No, because other senators would have signed on to objections. Look at Hawley, who continued to sign an objection even after the insurrection was put down.

Cruz is indeed responsible, but he is not solely responsible. Other senators, most notably Hawley, have blood on their hands as well.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Agree @jcgoble but Cruz being a "leader" in the GOP gave many their spins on it.

Meanwhile Congresswoman Q Greene has her Twitter account suspended for 12 hours:

Again had this been done 10 years ago we would not be in this situation.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Won’t be long before she is banned

10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Was this the same one who intended to introduce articles of impeachment on Biden on his first day?

Pretty soon, if you're not banned from Twitter, you won't even be considered a real Q-Anon follower.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Correct you are. She is bat**** insane

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But then they wouldn't have been able to pursue the model of maximizing profit in as little time as possible and having a sweet, sweet IPO.

Rew likes this.
  13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    And hopefully removed from office along with Boebert

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  15. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I do think Nancy will boot some people once the investigations are complete. The only question is what that pushback looks like.

Again, I go to how fast Al Franken was shown the door. The same should be done to Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz but especially the idiot tweeting Pelosi’s location DURING the riot. No excuse there.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You need 2/3rd to boot

17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I also think some of these idiots are in for a reality check once their donors and business contacts start running for the hills. That's the only thing that could make them u-turn and realize that MAGA reality is not as widespread as they think.

18. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Hopefully the Pillow Man Insurrection is over. Washington Post put it down in the footage of Mike Lindell leaving the White House. Where would we be without Washington Post?

I shall remember it as a last ditch effort to have Trump declare martial law in defiance to his second impeachment, blame Iran and China, and sue twitter. Oh yeah, and Mike Lindell did crack cocaine while building his pillow empire.
    [​IMG]

19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Damn right. This is the same reason why education should be free. College graduates will ultimately give back more to the economy in spending and taxes.

20. Beef_Sweetener

Beef_Sweetener Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 25, 2005
    Boebert McBoebface would be a cool name.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm onboard for 100% student loan forgiveness, but it really should be coupled with making postsecondary education in the U.S. tuition-free for citizens and longtime residents. If Biden forgave $10,000 or $50,000 or whatever, the total debt is just going to shoot back up again as new students enter college. Capacity in community colleges and public universities in particular should be increased as well, and the ridiculous billion-dollar endowments of "prestigious" private institutions should be taxed. For-profits should be outlawed entirely, or at least their access to Federal funds should be cut off which would effectively kill them anyway.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This is the stupidest idea posted all thread, so I'm gonna assume you weren't being serious.

Rew and KnightWriter like this.
  23. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    It's not over. Leaders of Trump's campaign who were in charge of the Insurrection Rally, who's names are literally written on the permits, are currently scrubbing their social media accounts that advertised the event...clean. Trump campaign now says no one on his campaign team was involved with organizing the rally. Ya know, it just sprang out of the ground and was taken over by agents of Antifa.

They think they can just change reality like they normally do. Just say enough times that this was Antifa ... and it becomes real. Which is weird because that's at odds with Rudy who's telling everyone that Trump's is innocent of insurrection because the storming of the Capitol was warranted because the election was stolen.

24. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Don't get me started on american names. But yes, Boebert is a particularly ridiculous one, just like the individual it's associated with albeit she's potentially far more dangerous than her name is ridiculous.

Rew and SuperWatto like this.
  25. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Agreed that it's not over. They have a window of opportunity to destroy the evidence and that as members of Trump's cabal, they were involved in announcing and hosting the event, then they gave the event its fire once everyone assembled. I hope Twitter preserves a record of all tweets posted from controversial accounts.

Impeachment Trial Hypothetical Questioning: "Mr. Trump, on December 18, 2020, you wrote this on twitter.... Why did you write this...?" "Mr. Lin Wood, on January 6, you wrote Mike Pence should be charged with treason. A lady who retweeted this tweet of yours was shot towards the facial region and died on the same day. Mr. Lin Wood, do you feel that you incited anyone by calling for Mike Pence to be charged with treason?"

I feel the need to memorialize Pillow Man, Mike Lindell's meeting with Trump on Friday for what it showed. The meeting showed the continuation of Trump's cabal of sedition. Some of the most critical pieces of evidence for the trial in the Senate could be tweets posted by Trump and his personal attorneys, Giuliani and Lin Wood.

Rew and DarkGingerJedi like this.