main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    From the memos I've gotten, I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to listen to her on this since I'm a man and she's a woman, so I can't criticise her on this.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That... is a lawsuit waiting to happen, since you cannot release a child's name without permission in any circumstance, I believe.

Lordban, WriterMan, Ghost and 3 others like this.
  4. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think they don't identify the specific child by name. They just reveal that there is a LGBTQ kid is in the class -- which is probably even worse -- as the class's children will go onto to do a kiddie-version reenactment of "The Crucible" as they try to out the kid in class who's "different."

Lordban likes this.
  5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    How long before they have them wearing rainbow-colored stars?

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hmmm…tweet was deleted.

There is a lot of discussion in education circles around such ideas for policy, and much of the consensus ranges between “Nope” and “over my dead body.” We’re not going to out a kid to their parents or set them up to be bullied.

Luke02 and Thena like this.
  7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    If you're going to invoke that, just go right to pink triangles. its weird avoiding that

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Here's another version

9. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I sorta hope this gets maliciously complied with.... the specification is that parents would be notified if there's a student "open about their gender identity".... that would include any student that's being open about a gender identity that isn't trans, too. So I suspect that'd cover a significant portion of students and the whole thing becomes worthless quickly and burn out the possibility of witch hunts.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The number one cause of death among pregnant women in the U.S. is murder.

Juliet316 and WriterMan like this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Remember that Florida has an immense teacher shortage that is getting worse every passing day.

12. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    So, I don't think this is terribly likely to go anywhere, but this is certainly an interesting experiment.... Utah's Mike Lee is up for reeelection this year, and is being challenged by conservative independent Evan McMullin. And McMullin is being endorsed by the Utah Democrats. To give a numerical idea of why this is going on... Utah's registered voters is 51% Republican and 14% Democrat (most of the rest are unaffiliated). In 2016, Mike Lee got 68% of the vote compared to Democrat Misty Snow's 27%. In contrast, that same year, Donald Trump only got 46% of the vote, well behind Mike Lee's share, while Clinton got 27% and McMullin was a relatively close third at 22%.

McMullin has been positioning himself as a continued Trump critic, and Lee is endorsed by Trump, so this does seem to be a state where a Democrat was simply not going to win, but Mike Lee *might* get replaced, with a pretty small chance, depending on how McMullin runs this campaign, how many normally Republican voters he can draw in, and what Democrats do and if they a. back him and b. do so in a way that doesn't repel the Republican voters that would need to be swayed. It certainly seems to also depend on to what extent he can attach Trump to Lee.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/videos/...ts-are-supporting-his-senate-campaign-anyway/

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I mean, it worked in Buffalo, didn't it? A city where a Republican was never going to win had the establishment Democrats get the Republicans to vote for their candidate after they lost the primary to a progressive, and the incumbent got reelected for the 50th time.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Here in “Florida, but with an occasional winter and a Democratic Governor for now,” we had approximately 10 percent of all teachers quit last year. The response in the General Assembly is to throw a retention bonus at us that does not count towards our retirement.

That might have contributed to the defeat of a similar bill that would require us to out “gender nonconforming behavior” to a kid’s parents.

Juliet316, Thena and blackmyron like this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think that was true (which led to the lot of "special circumstances" murder charges) but not any longer? It wouldn't surprise me if still true, but I thought I'd heard it wasn't...

16. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    It's pretty bad in a lot of places. In Virginia, which is historically a much better state to be a teacher than Florida (our Republican governor excluded) our schools are filling over 1000 jobs this off-season. And it's probably even worse, as a lot of schools don't announce their separations until almost June. In April (when the article was released) I only knew of about four people in my school quitting, but when school let out at the end of May, there were fifteen. I think even in my small district, between our four secondary schools we are filling 87 positions this summer.

The shortage is never going to get better, frankly. It's not just pay anymore. The pay doesn't help, but a lot of folks are tired of being squeezed and guilted over a lack of student success. There is an immense amount of pressure in a job to perform where kids are not given any degree of accountability. A child wrote and digitally released a song this year in which he said (in a few colorful ways) that he was going to murder my co-teacher and I. The kid wasn't even sent home (for the day!) because of "his rights." Teachers are tired of being mistreated and the Great Resignation is going to be how the educational establishment is going to be shown. A lot of people I know are only returning this upcoming year because they just haven't found anything else yet. A system like education which is built on the exploitation of its so-called "professionals" is one that is not made to last.

17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Trumpers now being called on to boycott "WokeWalmart"

[face_laugh]

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @WriterMan : That song should have at least warranted a trip to an alternative school if that is available in your area, but yeah…the law indicating that all students have the right to an education in the “least restrictive environment”, and parental ability to sue and win if they believe the rule on the “least restrictive environment” is not being followed, has led to some school administrators being unwilling to remove/suspend students.

Republican responses is that pArEnTs sHoUlD dIsCiPlInE tHeIr kIdS but they don’t want to either allow unfettered access to family planning in order to ensure that people only have kids when they are ready, or set up a full social safety net so that parents can care for kids they already have. It’s easier for them to blame public schools for all of society’s problems.

North Carolina has a measure in the GA that would do away with the seniority pay scale and pay teachers based on test scores and principal, peer and student evaluations. We will be the only state in the country to pay its teachers this way if it passes. This is after teacher evaluations have already gotten much more difficult in the name of “rigor” and “accountability” just in the past 15 years or so—because if we can’t bring a kid who did not speak English or recognize letters at the beginning of the year to reading magazine articles and writing full paragraphs at the end of the year, it must be our fault. I have seen good teachers leave over being brought to tears by district evaluators over this ****, or over being told that it was their fault that a kid misbehaved and needed to be removed from class.

On another note I always find it hilarious when parents move their kids from school to school because “this school would not work with my child and they kept getting in trouble” while never seeing the common denominator.

What we need is:

—get rid of Common Core. It is not realistic to expect kindergartners to come in already knowing their alphabet and how to count to 20 in a nation without universal pre-K, or to expect them to progress at the same pace.

—change standardized testing to a system that meets each kid where they are and rewards growth, not everyone being at the same place at the end of a grade level.

—more mental health resources and social emotional learning

—more in school suspension. I’m not a fan of out of school suspension because for many kids, being sent home is a reward.

—when punitive measures are used, more of them need to inconvenience parents. Making them come for an in-person conference before their child can return to class has been effective some places. And bring back Saturday school for high school kids who misbehave.

Ghost, jcgoble3, Jedi Ben and 4 others like this.
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Ghost, Vaderize03, jcgoble3 and 4 others like this.
  20. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I live in Fairfax county, VA and plenty of students in my son's school and surrounding areas are held accountable, especially for death threats. During the last week of school many kids were suspended for making threats that parents were all assured were empty threats. It was a really scary month for us as parents after Uvalde. And I am glad our district took every single threat seriously. As a parent I get emails form the school all the time reminding me to speak to my child about this or that and remind them there will be consequences for their actions. Especially these social media challenges. It's a scary, scary world for teacher's and you should absolutely be protected, I'm really sorry to hear a child would be let back in the building after such an incident. That isn't right.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The Fresh Air story about 1/6 and groups like the Proud Boys said after the insurrection those groups have changed focus to work at the most local levels of politics. They go to school board and town council meetings to engage in conservative culture war politics. It’s loosely coordinated nationally. It’s a way for those groups to lay low after after 1/6 while still remaining active and gaining momentum.

We’re going to see more of this leading to 2024. It’s meant to look like individual local issues when it’s really part of a national plan.

22. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    RepubliQans don't want anybody to be educated anyway.

REVEALED: Teachers come from 'dumbest parts of dumbest colleges,' Tenn. governor's education advisor tells him
    Video reveals Gov. Bill Lee never disputed those comments in joint appearance, instead offering only praise for Larry Arnn's 'vision'
    • "You will see how education destroys generations of people. It's devastating. It's like the plague."
    • "Here's a key thing that we're going to try to do. We are going to try to demonstrate that you don't have to be an expert to educate a child because basically anybody can do it."

23. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I wish I could say that was the worst thing this child did, but for chance of risking both my anonymity and his I will leave it there. Needless to say, my district had a plentitude of opportunities to remove him from our school both before and after that incident.

Thankfully, VA is not a common core state. I think universal pre-K is probably the best change we can make to improve public education. The problem is that the Democrats' plans for it eventually put much of the onus on the states which is a recipe for disaster. At that point, it's a glorified mandate.

Suburban districts have had a bit more luck with that... all I will say is I imagine those threats are much more empty than they say, especially based off of what I hear from my friends who teach at Edison, Chantilly, TJ, and Fairfax HS. But I appreciate it. It's a really hard time to teach in a Title I these days. I wish you and your son a great upcoming school year.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LMAO. Oh no! It’s terrible! How will the justices ever recover from bullhorns! They just wanted to take the rights to their own bodies away from women! How dare they be subjected to people with signs outside their homes after that!

Supreme Court martial asks Virginia and Maryland to enforce law against protesting outside justices’ homes

Both states seem to be kicking it back to the Justice Department.

If Garland has these people arrested before sending out a warrant on Trump for seditious conspiracy, we’ll know what side he is really on (that of autocracy).

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They've probably condemned a 10 year old rape victim to death, so not really caring about those who put through these changes.

They're also closely aligned to the "actions have consequences" crowd, oh wait, that wasn't supposed to apply to them too?