main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I read the one about the Moms for Liberty wanting to separate LGBTQ students from straight and cis students. I was like, "Why?" That's going to make things worse. They seem to have a low opinion of people with autism and Down syndrome. I know two women in their 30s with autism, and they are awesome. Secondly, people who have Down syndrome should not be underestimated. So, this organization sounds like a bunch of jackasses. Not only that, but they've attacked the Trevor Project for trying to prevent LGBTQ suicides. How in the blazes is that related to pedophilia? These people must be very dumb, to say the least. I'm considering sending them a letter with some educational links to see if I can whittle away at least two people from them. Sometimes those things have good effects.

Emperor Ferus and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    As for the discussion as to whether or not Biden will declare a housing crisis, I doubt that he will. I mean, rent is too damn high. I've looked up the prices of apartments in Portland and Los Angeles just out of curiosity, and the prices are astronomically high. I have friends in New York City who have complained that the rent is too high for how small the apartments are. The apartment I've lived in since early 2019 is very good. But I recall having apartments around this size in North Texas that cost $800 (minus the cost of electricity and other necessities), and this is $1,100. I'm glad this apartment complex is pretty like a small park with its trees, grass, and flowers. But the company that owns my complex spends more money on this complex than in their other properties. I saw one of their other properties in March, and it looked like a glorified hotel. Granted, I'm sure anyone would be happy to have a place to live in this city. I gave $15 in cash to a homeless woman a few days ago. She said, "God bless you," and I simply said, "God bless you, too." I remember I gave $10 to a homeless woman in 2020 who was honestly asking for money to buy weed, and I sympathized with her. I would smoke it, too, if I had to deal with summer heat and a pandemic outside. It helps various people with pain and depression.

So, if this government had any sense of justice, they would build new federal housing for homeless people and employ them to build bridges and stuff like that. Homelessness is worse now than it was during the Great Recession. While I was happy to help volunteer in People Feeding People in Fort Worth, it was striking how long the lines of homeless people were. Any decent society would not allow this many people to be on the streets. There are so many other things that they could be doing in a workfare situation that would benefit both them and the rest of the population.

grd4 and oncafar like this.
  3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    MAGA candidate Luis Miguel tweets that under his plan people will be able to shoot FBI, ATF or IRS agents.
    he has been suspended from twitter.
    drats! republicans silenced again

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  4. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...e/texas-law-in-god-we-trust-sign-17382629.php

Use of the national motto "In God We Trust" is expanding from its famed placement on U.S. currency to framed posters on public school walls thanks to a Texas law that recently went into effect. Senate Bill 797, which was passed last year, requires that elementary and secondary schools "display in a conspicuous place in each building of the school or institution a durable poster or framed copy of the United States national motto" so long as the signs have been donated to the school district and/or purchased with private donations.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    this but from the left

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Yoda's_Roomate They should make "In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash" by Jean Shepard mandatory reading and send the MAGAers in a frenzy even though it's the book that "A Chirstmas Story" is based off. Of course if they read it, they learn that Jean growing up in the depression didn't have the Hallmark childhood that they think everyone has. Matter of fact, he didn't get the decoder ring drinking Ovaltine. His family was too poor for it so instead he was able to get the coupons needed for it by smashing damaged cans of it in an alley. Again MAGAers don't want to hear any of that, take away from the idea everyone grows up in "Leave It To Beaver's" house.

When you are on the wrong side of Walmart:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/19/wal...-coverage-for-employees-after-roe-v-wade.html

Jedi Merkurian and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm a mom of a child with autism and I had to fight to get him into a normal classroom in liberal area. All those IEP meetings where I was told he'd be too much of a disruption and the other kids wouldn't be able to learn with him there. No parent should have to go through that. Everyone should learn to be together so when we make it out of the classroom and into the real world we can work together. No matter skin color, gender, disability, sexual orientation. UGH! The world is for everyone. Not just people who look and think like you.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    While I don't know anything about your son, I know people who work in special ed and education generally. Some kids definitely cannot be put into "normal" classes. I think it's different than things like race or gender identity because certain conditions can affect the ability to learn or be non-disruptive.

9. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Someone needs to call the Moms for Liberty out for who they are: fascists. They are little better than junior-league Nazis who hide behind religious freedom as an excuse to discriminate against others. From what I’ve read about them, if they could take LGBTQ kids, pack them into railroad cars and send them to camps to be worked to death and then gassed, they would. We need to stop pretending otherwise and call them out on this, loud and clear.

I know this sounds hyperbolic, but if you could get a majority of the members of this group drunk at a party and ask them what they really thought, they’d probably say something similar to what I posted above.

10. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    As someone who grew up in a culture where talking about rounding up gays and putting them on an island to die or shooting up NYC pride parades was commonly discussed.... what you're saying is certainly not an exaggeration.

Jedi Merkurian and Vaderize03 like this.
  11. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Time to donate a bunch of these written in Arabic and Hebrew and watch them lose their minds when forced to put it up.

12. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Make the letters in rainbow colors and they'd blow a gasket.

13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    They probably would.

14. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    one nation under Ahura Mazda

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They don't need to be drunk. They'll tell you freely, if not for having "publicity" agents cleaning up their language.

16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Drunk[face_rofl]

Honestly, I had to look up Ahura Mazda because it's been a while recent I read about him in 2010. I heard Angra Mainyu more.

Well, I got some news about the monkeypox vaccine.

oncafar likes this.
  17. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Honestly actually I am a bit drunk, white Christian nationalism is fake Christianity imo. The Republicans often proclaim those among them as chosen by God. George W. seemed to think he was doing God's bidding, for instance. Trump was declared the chosen one despite his unintentional antichrist resemblance like holding a Bible upside down in front of a fire lol and not knowing his own supposed holy book. Adam Kinzinger said some of the base see him as a Jesus figure.

It's just a bastardization and weaponization of a religion to gain dominion. Dominionist. They betray their own faith imo. Rather than give the shirt off their backs they want everyone who isn't them subjugated and harmed. Their cruelty is sickening.

Oh and PS I do not believe in God and I will never submit to their idea of him who hates so many people and calls for suffering, erasure and death. I'm reactionary and atheism never looked as appealing as the Republicans make it look now by showing their evil so unabashedly, though I am still agnostic.

Oh but back to these false Republican prophets, my impression of the Bible is that prophets are rare, not every old white man Republican president... That's ridiculous

But I mean I feel they are so far off the mark their God might as well be Satan.

Mb they are CINOs: Christians in name only

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Yes, they are dominionists. And I think CINOs would be a good term for them. Agnosticism is a respectable position. I read a good book about it once. It's funny that you said you were a bit drunk because I was a bit high earlier due to a gummy from the store, but it's mostly worn off now. Well, George W. Bush's hypocrisy was on display a number of times. But that's noticeable in these self-righteous fools who think they are God's agents. How anyone could truly believe that Marjorie Taylor Greene and these Republicans are connected to the will of God I'll never understand.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rooks-alito-arrogance-may-cost-020001470.html

I can understand why Alito would believe he was doing God's will because I suppose he is a smart stupid person like Ben Carson. When you have not only Justin Trudeau but also Emmanuel Macron criticizing your decision as the violation of human rights, that should give you pause. Lol.

There was no new evidence, just a new five-justice lineup willing to use its power – for the first time – to eliminate a widely accepted constitutional right.

It’s an open question whether the Supreme Court “follows the election returns,” but we do know defying the voters can have fateful consequences.

Abortion will remain contested legislative ground for years, but one must ask: Will the Dobbs decision go down in history on a par with Brown, or is it more likely to resemble the Dred Scott case – which helped bring on the Civil War?

oncafar likes this.
  19. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    @Lord Vivec presented a lovely channel in his bread tube thread (renegade cut), and one of that channels latest videos was kinda on the topic of abortion and pointed out how the objectors cross the autonomy of the pregnant person to make the moral call. so it's an immoral call. And I agree. He used the thought experiment of imagining another adult in his body and it's true... They deny the pregnant person and their body, only what is inside matters. It's made me also more aware about what I'm not feeling well enough in empathy for other groups. Oregon is kinda white :(

I mean it's not that I didn't think such things it just kinda hurts how all these women suffer these pregnancy complications and most of the republicans don't care, won't even acknowledge. And there's also my internalized misogyny on this matter that I can't tell if it's that or not bc I don't want to kill life lol. I feel guilty about everything, the life on this world in peril primarily bc of my nation which supports me, and people dying everywhere. I don't know the effing answer.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  21. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
  22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

My guess is that Yang founded his party to make money off of it somehow. Bit Jim Acosta is asking some good questions, and Yang gives non-answers. He's looking quite foolish for having done this. Lol.

Ron DeSantis is against dictionaries? I already knew this guy was a danger, but that hits close to home for me. I read the dictionary in 1999, and I enjoyed it. I learned more about phonetics and words by doing that than I ever learned in elementary school. (I went to a bad public school before I learned to a private school that actually challenged me effectively.)

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Even "One Nation Under Allah," because Allah is the Arabic word for God.

Rew, Vaderize03, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Crazy thought I just had.

Let's hypothetically say that Trump is indicted, arrested, and brought to a jury trial. How in the world do you seat an unbiased jury of 12 people? This isn't just about not being able to have ANY Trump supporters on the jury because even having one would destroy any possibility of conviction (at best you would have a hung jury), but in general virtually every American has already made up their mind about him, for or against. Where do you find 12 Americans with an open mind to serve on a jury that would be seen as fair by both sides? Or would Trump get away with his crimes because he can't be granted the Constitutional right of a trial by jury?

25. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Well, now DeSantis has the support of Alex Jones. So, this is interesting. I wonder where this will take him.

I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility for Trump to be indicted. But for him to be convicted is another story. As you say, trying to find 12 unbiased jurors for such a trial seems like a monumental task, given how people tend to hate or love Trump. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was neutral on the Trump issue in person.

jcgoble3 likes this.