main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Now I can’t tell if you’re kidding.

I forget tone is hard to convey with just writing on a message board. My post was made 100% jest. I assumed it was such an obvious and low hanging joke I didn’t need to use an emoji or say (just kidding) in parentheses to clarify.

Politics are so divisive and crazy today I guess even a joke statement as ridiculous as what I wrote is well within the realm of possibility now. I did not intend my comment to fool anyone or be treated as real.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Juliet316 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I assumed it was either a joke or unsourced but my statement about Jordan being childish still stands.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Let's be clear that the "culture war issues" include any black history being taught in schools, the right to contraceptives and abortion, and the right of trans (and LGBTQ generally) people to exist in the open. There is no compromise to be made. "Bipartisanship" is just some elite masturbatory fantasy yearning for a return to the peak neoliberal period in US politics c. 1993-2008 during which Democrats and Republicans would always come together to shower the rich with the entrails of the working class and poor. (Democrats still do that but slightly less now and Republicans always want them to go further. )

Rew, Ghost, tom and 9 others like this.
  4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I agree. And Nacey ripping up Trump’s speech then justifies the GOP in their own mind to do anything.

I heard a statement recently about Trump as president that was something like

‘Saying what Trump did in office is okay because all politicians lie is like saying what Jeffery Dahmer did was okay because everyone eats things they shouldn’t.’

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh no! Radical leftist agenda!

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Pod Save America’s take on how the Biden administration should respond to fascist GOP attacks:

He shot down the ****ing balloon. He did what they wanted. I’m sure the country is going to hell because Biden did not get a very large butterfly net and capture the ****ing balloon instead.

7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    All the talk about this actually caused me to have a dream about Texans firing bullets at regular birthday party balloons of all colors. Lol.

Ghost likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's because they already know that Republicans won't compromise where Democrats might.

Dark Ferus and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    And the only reason Republicans aren't compromising is because those pundits won't condemn them for their extremism and partisanship!

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Are you sure it hasn't already happened? I mean, that rainbow of balloons was heading right for 'em!

Ghost and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  11. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    In better news, Minnesota successfully passed the PRO act and it was signed into law by Governor Walz, enshrining the right to abortion into state law. We’re the first state since the Supreme Court decision to do it.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @mnjedi It won't be the last which will set up a massive showdown eventually when a GOP nut gets in and wants to send all states back to the 1940's when it comes to basic health rights for women.

Meanwhile, in Florida....

Besides "The Kite Runner" being a fabulous read, "Slaughterhouse-Five" is on the list. I read that book as a high school senior fall term. That was the end of 1995 and yet conservatives weren't as big of a snowflake as they are now. And I didn't go to a progressive high school at all. But sure tell me more about "the Democrats" being the major problem. Again they are not without their warts and are not what I considered a really strong political party but the GOP are straight up Nazi Stooges with no bottom. None.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It’s either going to be that kind of **** or a ‘[Fascist] Parents’ Bill of Rights’ being pushed through the NC General Assembly right now that is going to push me to early retirement.

I will not out an LGBTQ kid, and I will not pull books because right-wingers don’t like them.

Rew, EHT, Vaderize03 and 6 others like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Only the 1940s? They probably want to go much further back....

SateleNovelist11 and Luke02 like this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    They'd repeal the 13th Amendment if they could.

Ghost, Alpha-Red, Vaderize03 and 6 others like this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The abortion rights law is called the PRO Act in Minnesota? That's confusing. :p

SateleNovelist11 and mnjedi like this.
  18. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, “protect reproductive options”. Distinct from “protect the right to organize”, and yes, it is confusing.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Chancellor_Ewok It's the only good thing about this. Lots of high school kids in red states now are interested in reading books they typically wouldn't because it's suddenly on a "ban list". I told a colleague in the English Department we should all start reading from the list and let students know what we are reading is now banned in certain states.

Meanwhile the circus is going to the SOTU tonight:

I hope someone and goes "just wanted to replay what Biden did unlike Trump".

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One of the round objects in that photo is full of air, and the other is a balloon.

EHT, Alpha-Red, Vaderize03 and 4 others like this.
  21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

In Greene's case, it's just a clown at the other end of the balloon.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It will be madness when Biden shoots that balloon, too.

23. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm really surprised there's not more outrage about this book banning thing. Even Bomani Jones brought it up on his podcast yesterday. During Super Bowl week he said this is really dangerous (his podcast is sports related that's why it's surprising he'd bring it up during Super Bowl week).

Rew, Alpha-Red, Luke02 and 2 others like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Unfortunately I’m not surprised. I might have been as recently as ten years ago when I assumed that even the most vile people understood that Nazis are bad.

Trae Crowder sums up exactly what I am expecting from the SOTU:

25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I’m dead inside. Heh. Nothing surprises me anymore. But that means I can prepare for a great deal more.

Juliet316 likes this.