main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The KKK supposedly has around 3k members where’s the proud boys in America supposedly have 18k

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m in favor of checking current military enlisted and officers as well as potential recruits for affiliation with white supremacist organizations (it’s not hard to check to see if they’ve retweeted Proud Boys garbage or ever had a Parler account these days) and rooting them out that way, than putting them in a book club. And I’ve always maintained that the military should exist only for defense and not aggression in third world countries. Almost the entirety of US history is rooted in white supremacy but I refuse to give up on the idea that that cannot change, or cannot change using the current structure in place. I also think any Secretary of Defense that Biden chose was going to get similar criticism, although I’d welcome being proven wrong on that.

3. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    @Luke02

I was just passing along where they likely met.

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, that didn’t take long

Republicans are already working to ‘fix’ voting.

HR1 must become law as soon as possible but my fear is the Supreme Court just throws it out.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL of course they are. Republicans can’t win unless they suppress voting among city dwellers, poor people, and Black and Brown people, and they know it. God forbid they, you know, sell their agenda to get more people to vote for them when voting is widely available.

6. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Voting for Dems is fraud. So that needs to be fixed.

Nobody145, Rew, Count Yubnub and 2 others like this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Pass it @Yodaminch and if it gets thrown out, have Republicans explain why they pick justices who were okay with limiting people's right to vote. Again pass everything and put the GOP on the defensive in 2022 on why they are wanting to throw out bills and laws that are popular.

afrojedi, Valairy Scot, Rew and 3 others like this.
  8. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I can confirm that there was 100% ownage. Frat boy was unable to provide a single example of fraud, was forced to concede that the “drop boxes” issue in Wisconsin failed to get a single Trump appointed judge excited about a possible constitutional breach, admitted that Democrats had fixed North Carolina election system and conceded that the election was not stolen, there was no fraud and Joe Biden was his President.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh but i thought the Dems were the ones trying to be divisive.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's possible that things can change within the structure of the military, I suppose, but change is not going to come from a general-turned-defense-contractor no matter his skin color or sexuality or gender identity. His financial and ideological interests lie with the status quo. It's unlikely that one of the biggest supporters of the Iraq war would have appointed anyone better, I agree.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  11. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Bernie is promising to use Budget reconciliation to pass Biden’s COVID bill “as soon as we possibly can”

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Let me sum this up. "You just call us all liars!' And then he sits there and lies his way through the entire exchange. And he can't answer the simple question, "Was the election stolen?"

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That should be @Yodaminch the way it is going forward. Agsin the Republicans are not wanting to govern therefore just cut them out of the process completely.

That will be their talking point the next four years @VadersLaMent which is completely word salad. Again Democrats need to get Joe off the "bipartisan" kick because they are not interested in it. Like one reporter said Biden can either pass a a massive stimulus plan or have a "bipartisan bill". Cannot have both.

14. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I love how this Rand muppet tries to by-pass the post election lawsuit fiasco by waiving away the lack of success as simply being due to a lack of 'standing'. There were over 60 lawsuits, not all of them were dismissed for lack of standing- if there was even one scrap of credible evidence it would have been thoroughly reviewed by one of the many courts which were petitioned.

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    And tons of cases were thrown out on merit. Marc Elias documented them on Twitter awhile back for people. Whenever it's shown to Republicans they pivot to "well what about...".

As Shepard Smith asked his former colleagues, how these people sleep at night I don't know.

16. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    They really can’t. They ruled on two major consolidated cases involving gerrymandering last year, and Chief Justice Roberts made it perfectly clear that the issue was “nonjusticiable“, and up to the political branches to solve. It would be very, very difficult for them to suddenly reverse course and strike down an expansion of voting rights that banned gerrymandering.

I mean, the Court has done some ****ed up ****, but this would be a step too far, IMHO. If HR 1 actually passed and the Court struck it down while Democrats were still fully in control, they would expand the number of seats for sure, and rightly so. Roberts is not that stupid.

Now Alito, Thomas, and Kavanaugh on the other hand.... and who knows what Barrett would do? Gorsuch still has a modicum of integrity, but not much. No, the bigger issue here will be the filibuster.

17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Count Yubnub and Vaderize03 like this.
  18. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Bold Prediction! The Republicans in Congress won't vote to stop Trump from running again in 2024, then in 2024 Trump gets the nomination and we are all sucked back into this hell all over again.

19. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I don't think he makes it past the primary this time. If it takes a bunch of independents and democrats 'rigging' it by registering as republicans to vote for anyone but him, I see that happening.

I also think states (blue ones at least) may pass bills to try and keep him off the ballot by tying it to his taxes or crimes. And then there is the matter of the party itself- it could refuse to recognize Trump as the nominee.

But if it gets all the way to that point... I do expect Joe to run again. He won't risk Trump coming in to undo all of that hard work.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    There is a big push @MagnarTheGreat to exclude Hawley & Cruz along with the other insurrectionalist senators since they not "jurors" but rather accomplices to the crime.

If Tr**p is somehow in the GOP field @Yodaminch in 2024, he will get the nomination the same way he did last time...with 40% of the GOP vote. I don't see how he will be on the ballot now though. So many legal and financial issues that are just going to go on and on and on and on. I forgot that the Summer Zervos will restart up now he is no longer president and might very need to testify in that case. He is going to spend years and years being a professional defendant. Plus I honestly think he is really mad with the GOP and that they were not "loyal enough to him" therefore I think he wants nothing to do with the GOP.

21. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    So Trump has 3 options.
    • Run as a Republican: This would make a lot of Republicans pissed, especially those who are vying to run in 2024 - like Cruz, etc.. And I think they're going to run not matter what. As much as they're kissing Trump's ass, and dressing up in cosplay to resemble him as much as possible, they want the top office. They also know that if Trump couldn't win the pop vote in either election, and couldn't win in 2020, he's done. He's not ever going to do any better. So eventually they'd be forced to fight Trump and take him down, or kneel before Zod. Either way, the party continues to split, where moderates who dislike Trump (or are just plain sick of him) flee in just enough numbers (3-10%), or Trumpers stay home. Results - Dems win.
    • Run as a Trump Party: This would split the party immediately. I don't even know who would go and who would stay, but probably not 100%. You'd have a real problem with current elected GOP lawmakers from every office in the land having to make a decision as to vote for party, or switch and vote for Trump. It would be a delicious mess. Results - Dems win.
    • Run as a Pretender: Trump is is soon to be drowning in legal battles, and owes lots of banks, lenders, and shady people money. His assets are being seized. By pretending to seriously run, he can get his minions to fork over the money he'll need to defend himself in court. And then once 2022 is over, see who pays him the most to endorse a candidate. Results - hmmm...unclear.
    Trump is going to need a lot of money to pull the first two options. His donors, lenders, banks, and business partners, are all running as fast away from him as possible. If he stays with GOP - and wins the nom - he has access to those donors and funds. If he runs as 3rd party - a new party - he's going to have to find that money himself from somewhere. And it can't just come from his conned followers buying hats. He'll need real money. And he doesn't have it. They're not going to give it to him.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The party is not splitting @DarkGingerJedi over Tr**p but rather they are contracting over him. There will be few members in the GOP but there will be no light between any of them either. It really has become a cult.

Edit: Need proof that it's a cult?

And yes SHS is leading in the polls there. She is a punchline for the majority of the country but in Arkansas they want to put her in the governor's mansion even though her father was a disaster when he was there.

23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    You know, I find it so weird how deeply politics is ingrained in our social fabric. So much of people's identities are rooted in where they stand politically. During the Trump era that all kind of seemed normal. But I realized in the last few days it totally is NOT normal. I know this isn't the first time in history for this to be the case. But I just wonder how we got like this.

24. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Lack of appropriately-funded and widely available public education coupled with abject stupidity.

25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The way I see it is that Republicans are going to spent the next four years kissing up to Trump's base so the base isn't going anywhere and then naturally when Trump runs in 2024 he'll immediately get the nomination.

Jedi Merkurian , Juliet316 and Rew like this.