main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Of the doctor? I’m so confused.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That is the correct reaction.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I see a danger lurking in the suicide data, that it could be used to downplay the mental health impacts of the pandemic.

Cynda likes this.
  4. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    No, some people won’t take it. But if you and your loved ones do take it then what’s the problem? I know it’s not as deadly but it’s the same thing with flu shots. Some people don’t take them and get angry when people pass on it. Same thing. You worry about you. If you are vaccinated and stay away from places, etc then there’s a very, very slim chance you’ll catch anything from those that didn’t vaccinate. Being a doctor, I’d expect that you’d understand people rightfully being a little nervous about a rather unknown vaccine that was rushed out. It’s not like "wonder drugs" released before suddenly caused major issues years later. And now they’re talking booster shots needed? The JJ vaccine was pulled. Geesh.

Being tired of covid isn’t exclusive to me. Cmon. This has been quite the twelve months. This isn’t the pandemic thread so maybe we shouldn’t be doing this here. The point is that people have made a lot of sacrifices and most of us have played by the rules and guidelines set forth. Yes, some didn’t. That’s how it works. When is this over? Seems like never since even with vaccines and the high risk being vaccinated the fear mongering is still ramped up. There will be ramifications resulting from the mitigation tactics down the road too. Health problems and who knows what else. But there won’t be any candlelight vigils for those people.

What do you want us to do? Lock back down? I’m asking seriously.

Yes. This happens a lot. The other favorite tactic is when you comment about something and it gets exploded into something hysterical or totally extreme. Like, mentioning that there are programs that truly hungry people can use to get food gets turned into "you hate poor people" garbage. Or, the ridiculous defense of armed robbers as being "just trying to feed their families". Yeah, sure thing.....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  5. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The best tactic of all is when they refute baseless positions drawn from bumper stickers with an informed counterpoint based upon peer reviewed research and evidence based conclusions.

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    You do realise that some people can’t get vaccinated and rely upon high vaccination rates to be protected...

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I got my dad a Biden action figure for Christmas last year. He's a hardcore blue collar boomer democrat. And he was incredibly happy Biden won. I wanted to get him something to the effect of a bobble head, but a bobble head, to me, seemed tad too hokey. So I did a little poking around and found a company that makes specialty political official action figures. And my dad being a huge nerd, it was perfect. I got my sister RBG as well. And the pope for my mom. They're good quality action figures. Company is called FCTRY.

Runjedirun likes this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    If they are for fun I can understand. But the idea of collecting action figures of real life political figures seems a bit... weird.

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    My family is super into politics, and we're all nerds. I wanted to get something fun like that but that would also be to their liking. I got them books about each person as well. It wasn't meant for anything serious nor as a way to collect anything like that.

TCF-1138 and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You're forgetting one of the core teachings of Republican Jesus: Consider your own needs over the needs of others.

tom, Outsourced, blackmyron and 9 others like this.
  11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Firstly. are you advocating that doctors shouldn't go to hospitals anymore, or do you not grasp your response to a doctor was to tell them they should all stay home?

Beyond that, and this has been repeatedly explained, not everyone can get the vaccine. You're a dime-store eugenicist with your repeated unwillingness to acknowledge that because it boils down to "those with health conditions should be killed off". That's the core message when you say that people who have medical complications do not matter to you by dismissing them repeatedly, even though it's been brought up repeatedly. You no longer have your massive ignorance as an excuse, it's been constantly discussed and so at this point it's willful dismissal of their lives.

They were *always* talking booster shots, your ignorance doesn't equate to a surprise. And the Johnson and Johnson vaccine was paused, and I'd think it's very likely, from the discussion they had Wednesday, that they will be resuming it by the end of the month.

You know where this *wasn't* quite the twelve months? Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, and Vietnam all countries that managed so well they haven't been dealing with this hanging over them for 12 months. And the situation's also a lot better in places like South Korea and Japan that managed this better to keep things in check with much lower numbers.

And you made none of those sacrifices. That's the problem, many people have sacrificed a whole lot, while a bunch of people have made none and worked primarily to undermine the sacrifices made. You are one of those people, consistently.

When COVID is not spreading in the community (or, alternatively, when tracing is so effective that there isn't untraced community spread). The way that happens is with quick and decisive action. It's like there's a house on fire and you want to fight it with a single squirt gun and then complain that fighting the fire is taking so long. The countries that are basically 'over' when it comes to internal restrictions are the countries that acted decisively and didn't share your apathy for human life.

You're just making things up blindly here. You're unable to present any evidence that the mitigation tactics are going to be harmful, let alone more harmful than COVID is. And you're never going to present that evidence, because to do so would require a numerical comparison and you've long since demonstrated your innumeracy on any topic.

How about for a start close state borders to any travel by someone who isn't vaccinated, mandate vaccines for schools and any other large events, and allow businesses to require vaccinations if they so choose? Plus nationwide mask mandate for public areas that comes with something significant, like, say, $1000 on the spot fine. Serious measures so that we're making rapid progress, and so that when one area progresses enough it can't be simply undermined by a bunch of travel to and from a state that has either lost control or is intentionally run by morons.

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    He doesn't realize or care, he's already blaming people for not "staying away from places" to avoid those who haven't vaccinated. As if most people have the luxury of avoiding crowds, particularly those with jobs that require them to work with people. He'd probably blame them for not having better jobs at that point.

QGM probably drives straight through red lights- he's weary of traffic laws and other people will just get out of his way, so it works out great for him. Good thing he's not in charge of a war effort, he'd probably surrender to the enemy in a week after he got bored. Conservatives complain about people not pulling themselves up by the bootstraps but they're so lazy about actually solving problems (nothing you can do about mass shootings- and that is the official line of the Republican party).

Well, at least he certainly lives down to our expectations. @Vaderize03 , thank you for your work and for explaining, though it turns out as expected.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The 1918 flu pandemic was not over until 1920, in great part because people “got tired of it” then and would not follow mitigation guidelines. There were anti-maskers then as well, and people who wanted to celebrate that World War I was over, and people who wanted to have holiday parties.

Viruses don’t disappear when impatient people yell at them about how inconvenienced they are. They go away when they are no longer able to spread and mutate.

Which is why, while we do not need to lock down again, we need mask mandates and vaccine mandates with real penalties.

14. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I understand prioritizing greater danger, but I think we can remain vigilant about COVID while addressing the mental health consequences of isolation. Plus, as you insinuated, suicide is not the only tracer of suicide. How has drug overdose rates changed?

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be honest, I was principally thinking of macho bastard politicians who would cite it as proof there's no mental health impact from Covid because suicides have reduced.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The mental health aspects are why mandatory masking and vaccines are a better option than locking down.

As far as what was happening before the vaccines:

—Claiming that it’s OK to let people die so that more can open up is prioritizing profits over human lives. Period. That’s normal in the US but let’s not pretend that it should be.

—The solution to business closings during the lockdowns was to issue a real stimulus to individuals similar to what Canada did, and not have banks make decisions as to which businesses get the stimulus. Businesses with low profit margins should get the stimulus first, not those on the banks’ concierge treatment priority list.

—This could be over or much closer to it by now, and more people would have survived, if people would have followed the masking and social distancing guidelines from the outset instead of whining about not getting to show their full faces and make everyone else smell their breath. And had not bought into conspiracy theories from random morons on YouTube.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I completely agree, but I want to add that if/when vaccine mandates are put in place, I hope it's significantly easier to obtain one for anyone of any age.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Not like real numbers would matter to them or their base anyway, whatever those numbers are.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, and they really can’t do it until the vaccines get full FDA authorization.

This is yet another reason the companies need to share or release the patents (I know a couple of competing companies have agreed to work together on this already—Merck and Pfizer I think?). Faster and less expensive production.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Fair point.

21. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    If it will stop further spread, then absolutely, yes.

If we had undergone a strict, 30-day nationwide lockdown at the outset, with a robust federal testing and contact-tracing program put immediately into place, then as Dr. Birx has stated, we would've likely only have lost arond 100-150,000. The previous administration laid the foundation for what we're dealing with now. Gutting the pandemic response office for no other reason than it was set up by Obama was nothing short of criminal.

But let's decide we're done with the virus because "it's been a rough 12 months". You don't have to tell me that, Mike. I've lived it. I've seen what this virus can do. I've watched people die from it. And if another lockdown will save lives, then I'm all for it.

22. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Im sure some folks cant get vaccinated. Most probably can. Those that are high risk & cannot get vaccinated need to take extra precautions on top of the usual ones. The best policy for each family is to get vaccinated if/when you can. Then, mask up in public. Be cognizant of your surroundings. That seems to work.

Jesus wasnt affiliated with any political party, was he? Not sure why thats directed at me. Im a registered independent & not religious. But Ill take your word for it. :)

All right - how long for this lockdown would you like to see? What about the residual/collateral damage that lockdowns do? I get that being in your position makes it so your perspective will be different than others on this. I can respect that. But it appears that the "30-day nationwide lockdown at the outset" period has long passed. We cant go back. And these arbitrary shutdowns appear to possibly do more harm than good in some cases. Most wont go for it anyways. I agree that the orange-haired guy didnt do enough with this at the beginning. The entire Govt. has some blame here. If we had better systems in place to support people and businesses during lockdowns that would have helped to. But, we didnt.

So, the right choice, IMO is to stay as open as we can with the guidelines in place. Do what you can to protect you and your close people.

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I understand that. And I understand why it keeps being said. But there are hundreds of human rights organizations, women’s rights organizations, and other groups across the country, who are literally and explicitly asking for NATO forces to stay until the Taliban negotiating position is weaker. I’m not really sure how else to get that across without annoyingly repeating it.

It’s nearly impossible to discuss US foreign policy without being met with strawman after strawman about imperialism. I would like the US out of Aghanistan and Iraq. But the former situation is very complicated, and hundreds of thousands of Afghan lives can be destroyed if the withdrawal follows the logic of US domestic political pressure rather than the requests of significant portions of the Afghan public. I say this from an Afghan humanitarian perspective, not a US perspective, nor a NATO perspective, and certainly not an imperialist one.
    Bosnia might also have an issue with that statement. Or France.

K2771991 likes this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You're just saying that because you're a medical professional that has dealt with the pandemic up close. It's just your 'perspective'. Why can't you understand the equally valid perspective of someone that doesn't like experts that tell him what he doesn't want to hear and can't stand the idea of being mildly inconvenienced just so some randos he doesn't know don't die or suffer lifelong complications from an illness?

25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m whiter than a rice cake in a blizzard, but it always sends a strong red flag for me when I hear someone describe “Anglo-Saxon tradition” as a key to American success, because even though I’m technically more Welsh/Irish and Central German by genetic extraction, I know they would include me in that group... because it’s utter nonsense from a historical perspective unless you embrace a racist historiography that tries to nail cultural features to skin-tone and genetics, while simultaneously illustrating you don’t really think about the former or have even an inkling of the latter.

It’s someone insisting on a specific type of 19th century nationalism and “theory” that was divorced from reality even back then by people willing to analyze actual counterarguments and not feed themselves a narrative out of denial and narcissism.