main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Anglo Saxon political traditions”

OK Marjorie and Matt, which Brown people are you wanting to steal land from this time? Where are you planning to invade and squat? And which population do you want to enslave?

In a way it’s good that they are being blatant with their white supremacy as opposed to playing the “I’m not a racist but...” card or pretending that we can ignore historical and current oppression with “every group in the US has the same opportunity.”

But their being that open about it and getting away with it because enough people agree with them is something else.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought Anglo-Saxon political traditions meant building hillforts and bringing back petty kingdoms.

3. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I call dibs on Northumbria.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What I love is the continuation of Trump's fine tradition of Infrastructure Week:

“The America First Caucus will work towards an infrastructure that reflects the architectural, engineering and aesthetic value that befits the progeny of European architecture, whereby public infrastructure must be utilitarian as well as stunningly, classically beautiful, befitting a world power and source of freedom.”

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Aka Roman knock off.

K2771991 likes this.
  6. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Clearly what's happened is that Greene and the others have realized what the rest of us have failed to notice - obviously Donald Trump is the once and future king returned from Avalon, because, come on, it's so obvious:rolleyes:

That's my point exactly, thank you; I *wish* there was a simple solution. I *wish* it was viable just to leave and wash our hands of the whole affair, but as far as I can tell it's just not possible to do that at the current moment without causing more harm than good.

I'm pretty sure it means replacing the House of Representatives with the Witenagemot, starting to call our mayor's ealdormen and getting raided by vikings all the time.

I'm descended from the Chichesters. Can I have Donegal?

I mean, it's not Anglo-Saxton, but if we're bringing back the petty kingdoms I want in on this damnit!

[​IMG]
    Stranger things have happened...:p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We didn’t join the Second World War to defend France though. We joined because of Pearl Harbor. We also only joined the First World War when Germany had killed hundreds of Americans traveling the Atlantic and after the Zimmerman telegram. I think World War II was probably the only real just war that 100% should have happened. But our main involvement wasn’t to protect or save France. Now for Bosnia I have no clue what your talking about so will have to do more research.

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    This discussion was about whether or not we should care if people outside of our circle get vaccinated. Since it impacts people who can’t get vaccinated if we don’t, then we should all care about overall vaccine adoption (eventual herd immunity via the vaccine will save lives).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  9. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    @K2771991

I just like saying Northumbria.

Also Mercia is too on the nose for a American politics thread.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Who cares why the US joined? The result was defending democracies...

The NATO intervention against Serbia’s war of ethnic cleansing - especially serious in Bosnia - happened in the mid-90s. Kosovo followed from that.

K2771991 likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    IIRC, JKF wasn’t even alive in the nineties.

12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    1. Until the situation is under control. It's astounding how stupid your rationale on this is. If there was a fire, only the stupidest of people would say "well, how long are we going to put water on this fire before we stop?", if there was flooding, only the stupidest of people would say "Well,how many days do you plan to close the roads that are currently underwater?". If there's a tornado, only the stupidest of people would say "Well, what time will the tornado sirens stop?"

The answer to all of these things is "when the situation is taken care of". The faster it's taken care of, the faster things get back to normal. That's how this works.

2. You have, at no point in time, presented any evidence that lockdowns do more damage than not having lockdowns. And you entirely ignore that businesses can't survive with your stupid plan, because your plan is to let a pandemic rage, tell people to just stay home if they're concerned, expect businesses to figure out how to survive on their own, and then ignore that you're cutting their customer base in half and then thinking that you've just done them a favor by cutting their revenue in half without having anything to work with.

In contrast, if we were to try a lockdown (most of the US never has had one, California certainly hasn't), then almost anyone advocating that has advocated doing that with resources to support businesses and employees that are not working because of it. So the businesses can weather it, the employees can weather it, and then it's kept in place until COVID numbers are so low as to be gone or managed with tracing. If everyone at all stayed home for like a month, we'd have basically no COVID, so the concept works.

You have never provided any evidence that a lockdown would do more harm than good, and it's not 'arbitrary', it's tied to high rates of COVID. The people that "won't go for it" and avoid it get fined. Repeatedly if need be. Jail if it comes to it. The same things we do for anyone else that has destructive tendencies toward society.

Except you don't blame 'the entire government' you tend to repeatedly blame the people who did the most to do something about this, while you fawn over the people that did the least. You repeatedly talk about how great the people who have made sure there are no systems in place to provide support are, and you've repeatedly talked about how you object to systems in place to support people. The reason America has failed has been the sabotage it has faced at the hands of you and people like you.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes but as for the world wars I was specifically talking about American involvement. America didn’t join the war because of France being invaded or any of the other countless countries. They joined the war because Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. That was my point. As I said on the Bosnia thing I didn’t know enough now I do.

Last 2 months of it, so technically yes but for all intents and purposes no difference between me being born in 2000 or 99.

It is weird that I didn’t know anything about it. Like I know about the Rwandan genocide. Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention whenever we went over the breakup of Yugoslavia

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It looks to me like Community/Senate has become little more than a place where educated people try to enlighten uneducated people.
    With marginal success.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm one of the edumucatermerated, right?

Right?

Bor Mullet and K2771991 like this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "Play Jaja Ding Dong!!!"

Bor Mullet, K2771991 and Obi Anne like this.
  17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Well at least you're not one of the edu-meme-erated.

18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
  19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Just wait ESC season will be here soon.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I dunno. The Republican party seems pretty obvious about their intentions to me.

21. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I wasnt giving him a hard time - I get that his perspective will be different. I did say that. Everyone has a slightly different take on it. IMO, masking up, staying home if you are unwell & being extra mindful of the high risk in your own "bubble" is what you can and should do. We have done that and luckily my family has stayed healthy(to our knowledge unless we did have it and had no symptoms) since this began. I have a wife working at the elementary school with special needs kids(4 days a week in person too) & a daughter working in radiology so they are in the trenches so to speak. A few jerks can ruin it, yes, but if we stick to our behaviors we can beat this.

But, I cant and dont feel that hard lockdowns are effective nor acceptable.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Lockdowns aren't effective other than all the ones that were. In Vietnam, Taiwan, New Zealand, Australia-- in Wuhan itself-- the virus just kinda disappeared and we have no explanation!

23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    You can’t feel that they are effective or acceptable? Freudian slip?

Notwithstanding it’s probably too late for the US at this point, lockdowns do work.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, really? And where the hell are you, Australia?

.... Wait a minute....

25. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    It does flow nicely, that's true:D

Well, of course it's obvious to you. You're edumucatermerated.