main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I had a dream that I was reading this thread, and all I remember about it was that Mike said he was a member of the FBI. [face_rofl]

The good news is that 3 out of 4 million Oregonians have gotten the vaccine.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    By any chance did FBI stand for Fervent But Ignorant in your dream?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I don't think Mike trusts the government enough to work for the FBI:)

4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    New theory, quigonmike is the beneficiary on large life insurance policies for both his wife and daughter.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Not only are they racists, they’re also cowards, throwing theirs staffs (who were obviously doing their bidding) under the bus.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Why haven't they filed charges yet? Haven't they been investigating this since November or December? Does it take that long to interview witnesses?

In response to America First, I just hope that Greene somehow is implicated in a Matt Gaetz-level scandal. Maybe not the same thing, but a significant enough one to show that she's a fraud.

7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    The thread's response to Mike every time he posts in it:

8. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    He’s not wrong about everything, just about 80% of everything.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Edit:Hey, look at that - suicides over 2020 declined by nearly 6% in the US, the largest decrease in four decades.
    So much for 'the lockdown is killing more people than the pandemic" ********.

Edit2: Turns out that Greene is putting a kibosh on her 'Anglo-Saxon coalition' for now, after their coalition's 'policy platform' document was leaked and it was... not good. [face_laugh]

His 'different' perspective is as a medical professional with front-line experience giving an informed, educated statement backed by science and data. Nothing you have said here has shown in any way to be a valid contrast to that.
    It's considerably more than just a 'few jerks', and some of them are people with the power and influence to stymie or prevent the proper procedures to end this epidemic, beyond trying to pretend it didn't exist and then when that wasn't possible, pretend that it's already over. You know, like the Governor of Florida. And even he had to do a hard lockdown shortly after boasting about how much better Florida was than anywhere else.
    And let's take the old 'staying home if you are unwell' that businesses like to throw out as their only contribution to doing something. Guess what - someone that doesn't have health insurance, or sick leave, or can't afford to miss work isn't going to stay home. But fortunately, conservatives have leapt to the rescue... by passing laws to shield corporations from lawsuits over the pandemic.
    But at least those people are doing it out of survival. The people that aren't wearing masks in public because they don't like wearing them, or their conservative buddies will make fun of them; the people are so desperate for a 'return to normal' that they will pretend nothing is wrong unless they actually get sick; the people that latch onto every crackpot or news personality that tells them what they want to hear; the people that get vaccinated and then cease to care that they can still transmit the illness to others because they want to see a movie or concert; all these people aren't going to do 'the right thing' because they already think that they are. And the 3 million people that have died worldwide isn't them or someone close to them, they don't give a **** - and they don't ever want to think about the people that get COVID and will suffer a lifetime of physical ailments as a result.

10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    So I've not seen this, and figured asking may be the best way to find out: have all the people that have said how the government can't force people to not do what they want when it came to COVID restrictions spoken out against the curfews in place in parts of Minnesota now for arresting people for being outside during certain hours?

It's odd, how the curfew violation can be enforced and doesn't seem to just be going based on trusting people to act responsibly.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They don't like public health measures but they loooove the police state.

12. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Blah blah blah. She’s sort of cute though. :D.

Are you sure? Maybe call on lowbacca to provide some charts and "math"? I think it’s more like 68.3%. But since 57.8% of statistics are made up.....you know.... ;)

13. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Yes 80% is a solid figure. I asked my neighbours and the guy that runs the bakery down the road. They concur. Conclusions are solid.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No one has as many ways to say nothing as QGM. [face_laugh]

Juliet316 and mnjedi like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hmmm...restaurant owner has a hard time hiring people because they would “rather stay home and collect unemployment.”

Maybe she should...wait for it...pay people more than what they would make on unemployment.

I’ve decided that if employers would rather buy robots than hire human beings, they probably expect their employees to be robots. Two ways to stop that are better labor laws, or implement UBI and let people like that restaurant owner hire robots.

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/world/asia/afghan-women-fear-the-worst-whether-war-or-peace-lies-ahead.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

On a related note, I participate in a progressive communicator listserv, where the members overwhelmingly support an immediate and unconditional NATO withdrawal from Afghanistan. One of the main messages the group is promoting states that “Immediate withdrawal is the best course of action, and we applaud President Biden for making this decision after consulting with members of Congress, non-profit peace organizations, and Americans across the country who are tired of this destructive war.”

There is no mention of consulting with Afghans - neither Afghan human rights organizations, Afghan women’s groups, nor Afghans in general. Definitely no mention of the rights of women that are likely to disappear, or the fact that most analysts predict that the Taliban will take over the entire country (including all the major cities that NATO and Afghan National forces have kept the Taliban out of) in 18-48 months. The only thing that matters is what some members of US civil society think. Afghans be damned. The Afghan perspective inconveniences the narrative.

This is the kind of American arrogance, mostly on the right but also on the isolationist left, that reinforces hatred towards the U.S. And it’s completely understandable. We go in, wreck things, improve some things temporarily but in a half-assed way (such as on human rights), then leave irresponsibly and in a way that makes everything worse than it was before. There’s no principle or commitment that holds with us. A shameful way to treat our international allies. Unforgivable, really.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    K2771991 likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It doesn't matter what any particular group thinks. What matters is what is correct. Something isn't correct because of who it comes from.

If Afghans want to keep the advances they've made, it seems obvious and unavoidable that they're going to have to fight for them themselves. If Afghans don't want women to be oppressed, they're going to have to stop oppressing them. If Afghan women don't want to be brutally oppressed, they're going to need Afghan men to put a stop to it, because unfortunately Afghan women are at the mercy of Afghan men. It's not in our hands. It's in theirs. Well, us bombing them is in our hands (that's a rather deadly form of oppression), and we can stop that, but we can't stop men from joining the Taliban, because our presence inspires them to.

If Afghanistan doesn't want to be taken over by the Taliban, Afghans have to choose not to join or support the Taliban. They often choose to join the Taliban because of our presence in their country. I don't see how our continued presence, which causes people to join the Taliban, will help hold off the Taliban beyond an untenable stalemate that results in more damage in the long run. If after 20 years our presence is still toxic and turning the population against us and our ideals, then it's time to leave. If after 20 years the Afghan Armed Forces cannot hold off the Taliban, then I wonder if they ever can. Maybe they'd be able to achieve a meaningful, lasting victory over the Taliban if we weren't forever driving Taliban recruitment.

Yes, we've made things worse. It was always going to end that way. It was never an altruistic undertaking in the first place. It was always a foolish undertaking that could result in nothing but disaster. There was never any potential for good, which is why we are unable to actually succeed at doing good, and why we just need to leave. Our entrance into the country was utterly irresponsible and there was never any hope of redeeming ourselves. We've made this mess, but we can't do anything to clean it up. When that's the case, the responsible thing is to apologize and leave.

It is unforgivable, and it can't be any other way. There's nothing we can do to make it any other way. It's time for us to accept that our crime cannot be undone or made up for. We can't make amends because we've made ourselves so utterly toxic that all our efforts are poisoned.

18. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I don’t think our presence in Afghanistan has ever been about human rights in all honesty. The initial invasion was about revenge and we’ve maintained the occupation for twenty years because a war that never ends is really good for certain peoples pocketbooks.

19. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    The Afghani's haven't exactly been sitting on their butts twiddling their thumbs while the US protects them and their gains, you know.

Afghan woman HAVE stopped being oppressed. That's one of the issues being discussed her - woman's rights have advanced significantly in the past twenty years (though there's still a lot of work to do), and it's the Taliban, not the current Afghan government, who wants to reverse that.

So because *some* Afghans join the Taliban, the rest of them should be damned?

The Taliban are already at the table trying to get a peace deal and compromise with the government in power, so that reasoning seems flawed if you don't mind me saying.

And your way overestimating how popular the Taliban is. According to a report the Council of Foreign relations from 2019 only 13.7 percent of Afghanis were stated have sympathy for the Taliban, down from half of the population in 2009, so if anything it actually seems like support has been driven DOWN, not up.

No offense, but you wouldn't be saying the bolded if you were aware of just how many social advances the Afghani's have made since the Taliban was removed from power.

That's a rather cynical way to look at it, if you don't mind me saying; we invaded Afghanistan because they refused to acquiesce to our demands regarding their support of Al-Qaeda (which were actually fairly generous under the circumstances and wouldn't have actually harmed them one bit to give in too), and we ended up stuck in the country because the situation (partially because of our own blunders, but also because of the tenacity of the Taliban and other armed opposition groups) has not stabilized as quickly as the Bush administration hoped it would. Certainly the war benefits some people, but if it was *only* a case of benefiting people like that the conflict wouldn't still be going on.

20. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
  21. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

"We hate gubmint!" unless it's taking charge of your womb or keeping the gayz away from our perfect white European values and schools and America rules safe spaces that we use to own the libs. And guns too. Don't take those, especially if they belong to mentally-ill white men who have to go on rampages because whatever Fox News says the reason is.

Did I miss anything?

By the way, DeSantis is a jerk and Florida did not do that well. Neither did any other state that ignored the science.

22. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    See? Thats good. You collected viable data. Nicely done. Im gonna have to work on this.....love to get that down to 70% soon. ;)

I know blackmyron - you're posts are full of insight, facts, interesting takes and logical arguments. Na na, your face!

[​IMG]

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    you’re being an arse

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    LMFAO, no, they have not. The brutal treatment of Afghan women, including public lynchings, honor killings, and acid attacks, are still common and unpunished under the official government supported by the US. That same government has even supported such attacks openly in the media, calling them deserved. The government we support there is extremely corrupt, violent, misogynist, homophobic, and brutal, and openly violates human rights.
    You don’t know what the **** you’re talking about, and are in possession of a hilariously delusional view of the official Afghan government.

You don’t have to take it from me. Take it from the UN, the US Department of State, numerous independent human rights organizations, and Afghan women themselves, who have reported the many abuses supported by and even perpetrated by the Afghan government.

The government is better than the Taliban, but not by much.