main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    On some level, I think the fate of the country may be dependent on Republicans in NE holding on. A sane form of the Republican party is necessary, and that they win in NE is a demonstration that being non-crazy Republicans can appeal outside of their 'base' states.

2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Same with Larry Hogan in Maryland. He's not crazy at all.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    There will almost certainly be a falling out between the hardline republicans and the “moderates” and again the sane republicans are a minority in the party and a very small one at that with only like 10% of the party not approving of trump.

4. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Which is problematic in the sense that given the GOP's Electoral College advantage, even if those 10% defect for every election in the forseeable future, they still won't be enough to prevent a well-disciplined Trump-esque candidate from winning the White House. I won't even mention the Senate.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Even if we started today, the amount of time and logistics required to set up the necessary infrastructure for widespread sustained usage of renewable energies, which would require the continued use of fossil fuels in order to be able to do, will already bring us to a point of crossing that threshold where it would be far too late for the implementation of those technologies to have any significant impact on the environment. And that's under the absolute best of circumstances, which we can't realistically expect to happen anyhow. Especially with the current gerontocracy running things for the foreseeable future, corporate conglomerates continuing to have every facet of our lives packaged and sold to us, and global consumerism not showing any signs of slowing down whatsoever.

Just enjoy it while you can. The end is nigh.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Tython Awakening likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s especially problematic as those 10% are mainly located in places that are lean blue or solid blue

7. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    @Darth Nerdling
    Whent he sun's down or the wind isn't blowing, wehave to go back to theregular grid for our power.That gap requires us to fallback on some type of fossil fuel (except in places with hydroelectric or nuclear).

Except batteries are good enough right now to store the energy made from wind and solar to power a house when the wind dies down or thr sun goes down or there’s a rainy day. Solar panels have to be kept clean to perform at optimal levels, but that’s basically cleaning them with a mop every so often.
    The talking point that a house with solar power loses electricity at night is either blatantly false or severely outdated. I’d bet if solar was marketed as “live off the grid” or “the electric company will pay you for electricity you sell to them”, it would gain popularity especially in the rural south.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There are quite a few crazy Trumper Republicans in New England too.

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Um, the problem isn't "a house". Energy consumptions goes a wee bit beyond that. The majority doesn't come from people living in houses, but from all sorts of industrial processes. Processes which require a stead energy-input and which don't run well when they are turned on and off all the time. All of that doesn't get covered by renewables right now, nor are there batteries which can deliver the necessary energy to power these things. And this doesn't get solved by getting rid of those industries either, they will be here for quite some time to come.

Doesn't mean that you shouldn't go all-in on developing renewables and building up the infrastructure as much as possible, but at the same time you still need some level of fossil fuel driven energy production for the near future. Fracking isn't a good thing at all, and quite a bit worse than other means to extract gases, though it probably still beats coal. In the end you will have to live with either coal, gas or nuclear power being used in some capacity, and some areas might not even have access to the latter, so pick your poison. Pretending that none of them are necessary right now doesn't solve the problem, it merely ignores it.

10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    there are no sane republicans. only ones who act civilly to you personally. Who are the sane ones? John carpet bombing agent orange McCain?

3sm1r and Emperor Ferus like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Look I disagreed with pretty much anything John McCain ever said or did. But you could at least engage them in debate and he even ended up changing his mind on the ACA in the end.

I would rather have a Republican who truly thought they knew what was best for the country than I would all the Mitch McConnell’s in the world

12. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    ^ Why does he keep wiping his nose? Did he have COVID even back then?

13. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    You’ve made a very valid point regarding industrial energy usage, one i really had not considered when writing my previous post.
    What sort of investment in infrastructure would have to be made in order to get industry powered by wind, solar or hydroelectric energy?
    I personally thought the 2008-9 economic recovery should have been accomplished with fixing roads and bridges and there’s not reason people can’t be put back to work in a post-covid recovery doing that Plus building renewable energy construction projects.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Look, this is the problem with liberals. Y'all have watched too much ****ing West Wing and think it's a model for real life. It's not. "Engaging in debate" is not a virtue. These people, like John McCain, have been behind some of America's worst policies. And they have never thought that they knew what was best for the country. They've always acted on what's best for their donor class.

Yes, John McCain had a few good moments. But let's be clear, he didn't "change his mind" on the ACA. He was dying and he used his last vote to destroy Trump's plans. Because he hated Trump. Was that beneficial for us? Absolutely. But don't rehabilitate these people. These people don't change their mind unless the rich folk behind them decide it's the best decision for their class. When you engage with them in debate, you may feel better about yourself because it lets you flex your rhetorical might in a world where verbally "pwning" someone gets you retweets, but it doesn't change anything about the reality on the ground.

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    crazy trump on tv saying it's not right Biden is picking a cabinet because 'i won'

16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    It's also being reported that he said that if the EC picks Biden it will be a mistake. Says that there were 670,000 fraudulent votes in PA. But that he will leave the WH should he lose the EC. (Yeah, that's not up to him, but whatev lol)

Meanwhile, the WH is vetting people for a second term, as if Trump won, and his aides say that he hasn't accepted the reality that he's lost the election and none of them want to be the one to tell him the news.

Soooo..I guess they just keep playing along.

17. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    he also called the Georgia sec of state 'enemy of the people'

18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Finally something on which we can agree completely.

And btw McCain wasn't even the least bad.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So does that mean he’s done with that label for journalists who criticize him, or is there more than one “enemy of the people”? [face_laugh]

Juliet316 and Yodaminch like this.
  20. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    he's also holding a rally in GA on Saturday.

21. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    no he attacked a journalist too
    "don't ever talk to me that way, you're just a lightweight...i'm the president of the united states, don't ever talk to the president that way"

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My professional response: “Do not act the way you do, and journalists will criticize you less, to your face and in print. You are not owed a special level of respect due to your title.”

My less professional response: “**** you, I will talk to you any way I damn well please. Especially if you have the audacity to demand respect after calling me an enemy of the people.”

23. keynote23

keynote23 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 26, 2006
    Selecting Sarah Palin as your running mate automatically disqualifies you from Sainthood.

3sm1r and vncredleader like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Selecting Palin was probably one of the biggest mistakes that I can remember in a political campaign while I have been alive

Vaderize03 likes this.
  25. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Not only that, but while he’s blustering and the country is dying from COVID, his administration is quietly doing this:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...ment-other-last-minute-policies-before-jan-20

320,000 projected coronavirus deaths by December 11th, and what is the government prioritizing? Bringing back firing squads and electrocutions for federal death row inmates.