main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Do I mean something else ... yes, I do. Local law enforcement wouldn't be issuing citations against individual offenders (though they could do that to, just not with any federal backing) but against the businesses themselves. It's the same premise used all over the country with respect to age requirements for alcohol purchases; create a financial incentive for businesses to self-enforce the law (in this case mask mandates for the unvaccinated). I'd be surprised if anywhere in the country law enforcement is deployed to every brick and mortar location that can sell alcohol to make sure they're playing by the rules. They have a financial incentive to ignore the law (more money from increased alcohol sales) but they have a more powerful financial incentive (the potential loss of their license to sell alcohol at all) to self-enforce. That would be the objective

You wouldn't have to park a sheriff or cop and every store. The prospect of getting busted on a spot check would be enough for many, if not a majority. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be an improvement on the current wink-and-a-nod situation that exists across most of the country.

As for exemptions we've been doing that for years now. Just like proof of vaccination (I've got my little white COVID card as proof that I've been poked) just issue proof of exemption. And yes, show it if ya gotta. It's not complicated.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Michael Flynn presented with an AR-15 in a California church says "maybe i'll find someone in Washington"

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    @Bilbo Fett : My vet’s office has a sign that says “Mask required or you can show us your vaccine card.” I didn’t have mine with me when I took my cat in for his checkup, so I put a mask on.

Yeah, it isn’t complicated for people who are not deliberately trying to be difficult. If this requirement becomes widespread, then people who genuinely cannot be vax’ed will have to keep wearing masks.

4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    So much wrong with that sentence.

1) Flynn is a free man instead of in jail.
    2) Flynn being given any kind of gun after he pled guilty just because he was pardoned by Trump.
    3) A 'Church' invited someone like Flynn in and to give them an award.
    4) That award being given to Flynn being is an AR-15.
    5) A Church that gives out guns.
    6) Flynn casually making a comment that he'll find federal officials to shoot with it.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Any church that gives out guns should lose tax exempt status.

Rew, Nobody145, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    [/spits out tea] .... what?!

7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The name of that 'church', is Church of Glad Tidings.

I don't think they know what that word means. Seriously, these people are loons. They think Trump was ordained-prophesied to win the election, and the fact that he wasn't, means Satanic Dems stole from it him. Like some "end of days" final battle stuff.

8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Yeah it's the kind of psychos that rightwingwatch.org exists for.

9. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/26/democrats-gop-voting-laws-crisis-500726

Very real fears here. The GOP has put the thumb on the scales, and nothing short of 100% mobilization against this at all levels is likely to change it.

Unfortunately, the Biden administration has been rather sleepy here. If I were President, I'd be pushing back a lot harder.

For example, if SCOTUS further guts gun-control laws, I'd cancel Secret Service protection for every justice who voted against it. Play hardball. They like guns so much? Fine, taxpayers don't have to foot the bill for your defense, go out and buy an AR-15.

States that ban abortion? Fine. No more federal dollars for anything. Same goes for taking away LGBTQ rights.

SCOTUS says 'no'? Ignore them. They have no real enforcement mechanism under the Constitution anyway. Cut off the pensions of every justice who's been on the bench for longer than 20 years that refuses to retire. Play hardball.

Sadly, Democrats will continue to abide by the spirit of the rules while Republicans annihilate them all to remain in power.

Scary what we've come to, isn't it?

10. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    You've come to the point where you're no longer a functional democracy but a country divided between two factions engaged in a cold civil war. The Republicans, however, are entrenched enough that they can afford to last longer without casting away the appearances of legality. The Democrats got screwed and will have to resort to naked force first if they want to get anywhere.

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Republicans cast away appearances of legality a long time ago. And does the Jan 6 Insurrection count as resorting to naked force first?

12. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    So the vaccine is a hoax that doesnt work, its just a means of control, and at the same time credit should be given to Trump because, in his own words, he came up with the vaccine. Got it.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I did say appearances, not legality itself. Gerrymandering and granting state parliaments the right to rule election results can be done through legal process.

As to the January 6th insurrection, it was, by and large, the insurrection of idiots, and achieved the results that could be expected of idiots. The McConnell's of the GOP are far, far more dangerous in how they use legal obstacles to keep pushing.

Rew likes this.
  14. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    The breaking point will come when Democrats finally refuse to accept the outcome of a sham legislative and legal process. That may happen in 2022, but more likely in 2024.

Not sure how that will play out.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    If I had to put money there, I'd put it on Democrats ending up accepting the result of the sham legislative and legal process in 2024 in case the GOP's perversion of the legal order bears fruit then.

Rew, Yodaminch and Darth_Duck like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As long as the rule of capital is maintained and those imaginary numbers keep going up as human beings are fed through the meat grinder and the planet dies, I don't expect the Democrats to put up meaningful resistance to Republican power grabs. They'll whine, sure, as they always do even when they hold power and can bypass the GOP, but going so far as to declare the process illegitimate is as much a threat to their interests and the interests of their backers as it is to any Republican politician.

The Democrats also seem fully capable of killing their chances at victory in 2022 and 2024 all on their own.

17. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Fixed.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I, for one, look forward to churches dropping any pretense and just actively campaigning for and endorsing candidates

19. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    So long as they pay taxes, I am fine with that.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What, you mean like in 2000?

Yodaminch likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "is there a single person in the world who actually believes this about Biden's first 6 months in office?"

When he first ran for office he said the economy was the worst ever, a full blown failure. But of course it wasn't. It was in fact record breaking in a very positive way. And his voters went for it. So yes there are many people in this world who will believe it's been the worst 6 months just because Trump said it. Hopefully not as many.

22. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Honestly, I'm not even worried about that guy any more. His brain is fully mush and any campaign would expose that for all to see. He won't ever run again. It's who comes next that scares me- especially when they can depend on these voter suppression laws and stolen court majorities to grease the wheels for them to hold onto power. And then, with someone far more competent and more dangerous in charge? We're ****ed.

23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Bold prediction! Democrats get fork all done during the Biden administration and then Trump returns to the White House and it’s a complete rerun of his first term but worse.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    They already have.

Bolder prediction: if Trump does win a second term in 2024 (assuming he lives through the four years), he starts a war with China or Iran as a pretense to try and prevent the 2028 election. Since he contemplated a strike on Iran in the lame duck period prior to January 2020, this scenario is not that far-fetched.

It would be interesting to see how the military would respond under those circumstances.

25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh the military will absolutely go along with it. There will be stories about how some of the generals flipped out behind the scenes and called Trump but insane and then they’ll turn around and do what he told them to do.