main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    All of that makes sense but the problem is once he does that, he has nowhere to go when it fails. And if Delta gets worse and the Supreme Court ties his hands, then he has no arrows left in his quiver. The Supreme Court and the Senate own this one. He's made his position clear. All it would have taken was a signal from anyone on the court that they would reconsider due to the growing threat of Delta and Biden likely would have done exactly as you are suggesting. But because they did the opposite and not so subtly threatened his executive power for future health emergencies, he's stuck begging Congress to do its' job.

Having said all that, I am suprised that HUD hasn't tried something. Yes, the CDC may have overextended (debatable but for the moment, let's accept that). Why can't HUD get involved?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Is this the first "Italian defense?"

heels1785 likes this.
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Joe Manchin should be congratulated for the work on his "bipartisan" bill... that includes $1 billion for a commission that his wife heads.

4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  5. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Yodaminch likes this.
  6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It'll go as well as it's gone for Trump.

Cuomo has a better chance of a third term than a jail sentence.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  7. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Nobody145, Rew, CT-867-5309 and 5 others like this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Fox is very upset about Cuomo. Harrassment?! this has never happened before!

Yodaminch and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    You're imagining competence where it doesn't exist.

Nobody145, Rew, Vaderize03 and 6 others like this.
  10. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

Biden is emphasizing at his press conference that the states have the bulk of the appropriated money unspent that they should be spending on this. He brings up again that there is no SCOTUS majority for continuing the national eviction moratorium after their recent ruling.

He also repeated his March comment that Cuomo should resign pending the result of the NY investigation. Asked again if he thought the Governor should resign and he said yes.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A lot of credit should go to Cori Bush.

grd4, Nobody145, Juliet316 and 7 others like this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I mean, as a practical issue, that would be really complex. You would require permissions from everyone involved. You also must take into account the people we're discussing. Last time, we were in a situation where effective treatments didn't exist, so there were plenty of justifiably angry people to serve up stuff like "The only pre-existing condition my father had was Donald Trump's presidency." This time you're talking about largely unvaccinated people, who are largely unvaccinated because of deep skepticism of the very public health measures we're debating that is stoked by DeSantis. While some may blame him, I would expect a fair number to hesitate on any criticism, since that would also be an admission of their own wrongness.

13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Federal Legislators are again calling for Cuomo's resignation, but this time are imploring the State Legislature to impeach should that not happen. Things could move faster than people here seem to believe. According to reports, Cuomo seems to have lost all political support, at least from the Assembly. No peeps yet from the Senate Majority.

Following Cuomo investigation NYS Assembly Speaker Heastie calls governor 'unfit for office'

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/l...ffice/71-fd8689b4-60cc-4218-970e-2623efbad9b3

14. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I don’t know, I think if kids start dying left and right, it might be enough to break through the veneer of unreality that much of that state seems to live in.

At the very least, it will be that much harder to claim the virus is a hoax. Also kids being turned away from hospitals due to lack of beds won’t go over well either.

It’s easier to kill grandma that your little Pookie or pumpkin (the nicknames I have for my four-year-old son and two-year-old daughter, respectively).

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I dunno, I mean enough of the US has managed to ignore or deny Sandy Hook.

Nobody145, Rew, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
  16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Because it didn’t affect them. This does. The chances of dying in a random shooting are far less than getting infected by an airborne virus.

Americans have a remarkable ability to express moral outrage for all of 10 seconds, then forget about anything that isn’t directly in front of them. A pandemic is different.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I want you to be right on this but there's this tic in the back of my mind....

Nobody145, Rew, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Who knows, but I agree with Jedi Ben. Some are adamantly opposed to the vaccine even after COVID nearly kills them, or even right before it actually kills them. Then we have the story of a Parkland survivor's dad thinking Parkland was a hoax.

19. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    As a citizen of Virginia who has to watch gubernatorial election ads I just want to say that the ads by our democratic candidate Terry McAuliffe are so ineffective I just had to Google his name to make this post. All they do is say that "Younkin' backs Trump and VA doesn't want to go backwards." Yes that is true, but what are you going to do Mr. McAuliffe? That's what I wish your ads would tell me. But I'm still voting for McAuliffe for Governor because I feel like I have to.

20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    It's going to be perversely hilarious if this starts to take an even larger toll on children, watching everyone that has been screaming about how we have to think of the children write this off.

Democrats, as a party, have not learned that they have to actually represent something to vote *for*.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    IIRC Terry McAuliffe was Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager, so it’s no surprise that his entire platform is “I don’t like Trump.”

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Empty and ineffective, but we end up voting for them anyway because the alternative is even worse. What a country! Republicans make nothingness an effective campaign.

I'm not criticizing you Runner, I just noticed the ineffective description and that you were going to vote for him anyway, and derived some dark humor out of it.

Runjedirun likes this.
  23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Robby Mook was HRC's campaign manager in 2016.

24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Terry McAuliffe was HRC's campaign manager in 2008. In 2016 he was too busy being Governor of Virginia to do it.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I Googled it; McAuliffe was her campaign co-chair in 2008. So I stand corrected.

Ninja’d.