main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Oh I know. Its free, enjoyable entertainment. :)

And judging by your post to me clearly indicates you are all about quality, good-natured conversations? I see. Because telling me to star, star star, star "off" isnt trolling. Right. Like I said, have a terrific day. Otherwise, lets have a political discussion and be nice about it. Thats OK with me too.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    MasterP likes this.
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Wanna keep giving trolls free, enjoyable entertainment? Don't do this.

Rew, Emperor Ferus and bluealien1 like this.
  3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    if you’re not a troll, then have a conversation

answer people’s questions, explain why you think the way you do

because so far all you’ve done is parrot far right talking points and ignore anyone who challenges you

edit, and no, if someone presents a view I strongly disagree with, I’m not always going to be nice in return, especially when that view effects other people, like someone being against M4A, if someone is actively against M4A then they don’t deserve a nice response in my opinion

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    He is incapable of doing otherwise and delights in the pain it brings. Disengage.

5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Technically speaking, that's not an Oxford comma. The Oxford comma is just on the last comma in lists, but not all comma usages.

https://www.verbicidemagazine.com/2...lustrate-why-you-should-use-the-serial-comma/

Though I'd agree the comma's not requisite.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  6. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Ask me something and I'd be happy to answer. Bear in mind, sometimes I dont answer because they questions are not genuine or include insults/whatever. So where were we? Ask away. :)

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... and a House Rep from Tennessee lashed out at the millions who quit their jobs just to get unemployment benefits.

.... except you can't get unemployment benefits if you quit your job. :rolleyes:

8. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Its on the same level of stupidity as MTG going after the NBA for not letting Kyrie Irving play because he's not vaccinated....except that the NBA is allowing him to play, just that vaxx mandates in NYC do not allow him to enter the facilities to play, so its the city (or the state, I dont know), not the NBA. He could play road games, but the Nets (the franchise, not the league) has made a decision that if he wont play all games, he wont play at all.

Jedi Merkurian and blackmyron like this.
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    One bright light - the state of Florida ****ed up unemployment so much they've indefinitely suspended collection operations (for example, last year they thought it was a good idea to just autopay claimants because the systems were overwhelmed... except people would return to work and still receive payments without asking for them because they literally had no way to stop them)

10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    IATSE Strike Deadline Has Networks and Streamers Scrambling for Programming Options

I'm betting that we hit the October 18th date with a strike and no deal before then.

11. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out!

There must be some bizarre dopaminergic circuit in my brain that delights in responding to Mike’s posts, even though he has me on ignore. I need to locate it and burn it out.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Suprise a republican in congress is a ****ing moron

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You're assuming you need something to be true to claim it politically - you really don't.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is trolling. Knock it off or have your access to this thread and possibly this forum revoked.

If you want people to be nice about it, start with some common values. I presented some questions to you that you never answered awhile back. If you refuse to start with common values, you aren’t actually interested in quality, good natured conversation.

You don’t get to decide what is genuine and what is not.

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Wait if you can stop people from posting in a particular thread, why hasn't wocky been banned from the ****posting thread?

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Mods have had the ability to ban people from particular threads for some time. I at least heard of it a month or so ago

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Yeah he got kicked out of the pandemic thread after I complained that his insistence COVID wasn’t all that bad was affecting my mental health after a week of watching unvaccinated people die from the virus at the hospital (this was several months ago).

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Which is why he attempted to turn every other thread into surrogate Pandemic threads. [face_laugh]

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    It really is a great demonstration of why diseases need to be squashed rather than allowed to spread because they'll just find new things to infect.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Amazing how the votes of two subhuman barrels of industrial waste can kill a mildly ambitious climate agenda-- something the US could've used as leverage in Glasgow at the end of this month-- and help condemn billions to immense suffering. The IPCC, a fundamentally conservative body, says we have until the end of the decade to slash carbon emissions by at least half. At least a million species will be driven to extinction; 2/3rds of humanity could see their homes swallowed by the ocean; swaths of South Asia, South America, the US Southeast, will see heat/humidity conditions that are literally impossible for any healthy adult human to survive because sweat can't evaporate. All because capital and their servants can't wrap their minds around anything but short-term profit-- or thinking they can buy their way out of the apocalypse by ****ing off to New Zealand or somewhere the climate crisis will magically spare. To say that Manic Pixie Nightmare Senator and the perfect embodiment of his state's long decline deserve no peace in their daily lives is an understatement. I hope they're followed into every restroom and get yelled at by normal people while they're squeezing out their fancy donor dinners.

It's not only their fault, of course. I'm sure there are other avenues to explore, but fat chance of that happening because still no one with enough power is treating it like the biggest emergency we've faced as a species. It's just an "Aw shucks, I wish we could've kept the planet livable. We gotta compromise sometimes."

21. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    @anakinfansince1983 - what common values do you speak of? I suspect like with many things, the objectives aren’t far off but how we get there might be. Sorry if I missed some questions a while back. I’d love to discuss common values or at least what you feel some key ones are.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    —How can we, as a collective, ensure that people experiencing homelessness have a place to live, that the issues led to their being homeless are treated, and that poor people have enough food, adequate medical care, and a job that pays them enough to make rent with 25-30 percent of their 40-hour-a-week wages?

—How can we, as a collective, end the wars we are waging overseas?

—How can we, as a collective, work to dismantle systemic racism and sexism?

—How can we, as a collective, end mass shootings?

I posted these a couple of times over the summer, the second one before we finally got out of Afghanistan.

If we cannot agree that these are goals we should try to reach, we don’t have anything to discuss on the subject of politics.

Or a shorter version: if we can’t agree that “poor people don’t deserve to starve” and “the US level of gun violence is bad” and “bigotry is bad” without adding a “but…” onto the end, we don’t have common moral values.

Rew, Bacon164, blackmyron and 4 others like this.
  23. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    1) The bolded part of your first statement is key here, IMO. Prevention is always worth "more" than curing or treating just about anything bad in life. Most states have homeless shelters and the like. Are they totally adequate? Probably not and they cant always take everyone. I really dont know what you do other than work extra hard on ensuring people dont end up homeless in the first place. Im not sold on just giving them the bare minimum forever though. That doesnt lead to a very dignified life. The poor people thing ties into prevention too, sort of. Set them up for success early on, teach them to be smart with money even if they dont make a lot, etc. However, high costs are an area that Im not sure how you deal with. If we subsidize too much then costs just go up and then the next tier of income earners might get pushed out. I dunno. To me, its not our incomes that are the problem, its how much everything costs. Its out of balance.

2) Wars overseas? Cutting back our reliance on resources we get from these places would probably help. Stop trying to change Govts that dont benefit from our style of Govt. While I support a strong and well funded military, I dont like our constant meddling in affairs overseas. Then again, some Afghani people were NOT happy to see us leave. Do we sit back and just let dangerous regimes take charge of countries like that? What is our role? Do we just say not our issue and forget it? Dunno.

3) While racism and sexism will never fully be eradicated, IMO we've made a lot of strides here as a nation. I know its anecdotal but my medium sized software company is as diverse as ever. Way different than just 15 years ago. And its working out great, TBH. My daughters have had or will have good opportunities to succeed in life. Other races are climbing into the ranks of the middle classes. A lot of good here so far. Ive discussed this here with others but the best way IMO to keep this on the right track is with positive experiences with people different than you. It adds up. It can wipe away per-conceived ideas. Nothing beats a good experience with someone to help you mold your attitude towards them.

4) We need to determine what makes people want to shoot people and get to the root of that. Theres that prevention thing again! I just posted in the gun control forum that we need better gun regulations and Ive backed reasonable rule changes that would help. Its up to congress at this point. Good Luck with that.

So, not horribly that far off here.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, let’s start with prevention. The best way to eradicate homelessness is to ensure that everyone has a job whose wages pay for adequate housing while working 40 hours a week. Real estate is not pricey here, but a person still needs to make $18 an hour to afford a 1-2 bedroom apartment. Minimum wage in North Carolina is not $18 an hour. And no, homeless shelters are not a long term solution.

If (general) your priority is “how much will this cost a business owner?” as opposed to “how can we best eradicate poverty?” we do not have differences in opinion, we have a difference in morality.

On the gun issue as well as many others, we need to have better treatment for mental illness and addiction. Reagan put a stop to that because he hated mentally ill people and thought addicts were subhuman (as well as poor people in general). We also need universal health care overall.

Short version: people should not have to be actively employed or even trying to be actively employed in order to be viewed as human beings and have resources they need to survive. And coming back with a 2021 version of “Are there no workhouses? Are there no prisons?” is not convincing of the idea that (general) you view them as such.

The mistake in Afghanistan was not getting out of there 19 years ago when we realized we weren’t getting Bin Laden that way. And when we are not even trying very hard to stop a fascist regime from taking over our own country (see the GOP), we’re not in a position to say we should prevent an oppressive regime from taking over anywhere else.

There will always be bigots. But we do too much in the way of still giving them a voice.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Not to come off like Vivec here, but expecting everyone to work misses a lot about who's homeless as it is (and probably something something capitalism).

San Diego did some looking at who's homeless, for example, and well over half have disabilities of some kind. Some of those are situations that can be treated, but many of those are also going to be things that seriously limit their ability to work even with proper care. That points to a lot more intervention than what boils down to "get to work". So from that, I don't see how the best way to eradicate homelessness is a solution that doesn't do much to address a significant portion of the homeless population.

I'll point to Finland, which instead based this on getting people housed first and then going from there (in terms of what they expected of people they were helping, this still does require a support structure to exist): https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...le-helsinkis-radical-solution-to-homelessness