main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The case is so bad I wouldn’t even be surprised if all 9 rejected it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Alito and Thomas have made it clear that they don't really give a **** about the merits of cases, just whether it advanced an agenda they support.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And Roberts is worried about the 'legacy' of the Court. He'll try and keep it from being heard if he can.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Any word on how Sidney Powell is doing? I really want to see her “Release the Karen”.

EDIT: damn autocorrect

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I mean, most Karens in the US are Trump supporters, so your probably not far off the mark.

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    If that's what you meant you have a strange way of saying it.

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Need to make him President-Eject. :p

8. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    An ejector seat in the oval office next time he sits down.

The collision with the ceiling will be glorious, though Biden will need to get the decorators in to repair the damage.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s my thought. There is really nothing in it for them, other than the possibility of replacing Breyer, and they already outnumber him anyway so I doubt that’s a concern. And as much as I don’t like originalism , I don’t think “let Trump enact a coup and be a dictator” is part of it.

blackmyron and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Getting ready to start a war as a last desperate attempt at creating chaos?

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN2880DH?il=0&utm_source=reddit.com

DUBAI (Reuters) - U.S. aircraft carrier USS Nimitz was deployed to the Gulf this week, days before the killing of Iran’s top nuclear scientist, although the U.S. Navy said on Saturday the deployment was not related to any specific threat.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And Clorox. Lots and lots of Clorox. (for disinfecting the White House, not for Biden to drink/inject)

12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    So after Trump lost by more votes after the WI recount, the GOP legislative there just filed a petition today with the WI SC to block the certification of the election results.

lol. It's just insane. No evidence of fraud. Lost by even more in the recount. And now they want to throw everyone's vote away - including their own- so that their state doesn't count in the EC, or so that the SC overturns the will of the people and allows the GOP to pick their own electors. And the entire Trump Party thinks the Dems are the ones stealing the election. Madness. Just pure stupid evil madness.

The GOP is basically just bombarding the system and hoping that they get lucky once with some judge, or some legislative, or whatever needs to happen to make their cult the winner. And they are insane. They think God is on their side and will make Trump the winner, and they will ignore the will of the people, because the evil satan dems had to have cheated. There's no way Trump-God lost.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Supposedly Israel is being blamed for it although it would not surprise me at all if the US were involved.

Biden is going to have to spend the first week of his term at Camp David until the White House can be throughly disinfected and aerated to get rid of the Covid and the smell of fast food.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Or it's so bad and so germ infested, they have to build a new White House. Burn the old one down, it's the only way to be sure. Pretty sure it's still a Covid cesspool at the moment.

Ghost likes this.
  15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    PA State Senator Doug Mastriano is now calling for a resolution to give the power of choosing the electors back to the legislative body and away from the Gov/SOS, as the constitution requires incase of times of election fraud (According to him). Says there is massive widespread election fraud in PA, and citizens need to be sure that the election was fair and not corrupted. Wants the GOP to send Trump electors instead of the state certified ones. This also comes in addition to a commonwealth judge, Trump supporter, Patricia McCollough who ruled that PA election was unconstitutional and blocked certification (all remaining uncertified election)...but the GOP is now trying to use this ruling to throw out the certified Prez election too.

What madness. I can barely keep up with it. The GOP is literally committing corruption and fraud, trying to steal the election, override the rule of the people, disenfranchise millions ... and think they are the TRUE heroes the country. These people have lost their damn minds.

And even though Joe Biden will be in office on Jan 20, there is still a part of me that worries. Because our institutions are only as good as the people in them. And with people like these Trump supporters, who only care about Trump, and nothing else ... who's to stay they won't do it. Who's to stay they won't send their own electors. or that somehow other Trump supporters will follow suit and allow them instead of Gov certified ones, or that the GOP Senates won't bend or break the laws, or over ride the rule of the people in their desperate attempt to install Trump.

Trump can't win in the courts. Can't show any single piece of evidence fraud. But there are plenty of these people in power, inside of outside of the courts, where evidence doesn't matter. The GOP legislators seem willing. More willing than judges, but willing all the same.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Actually most people named Karen aren’t there was a poll done on people by name More Karen’s were for Biden

17. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I think the Court would have sided with Trump if it had come down to a single state and < 1,000 votes. Justice Kavanaugh has already cited Bush v Gore--a case that supposedly set no precedent--as, ahem, precedent for some of SCOTUS's orders reversing state decisions that expanded voting during the pandemic.

So yeah, it's all clearly about politics for certain members of the court rather than the law. It's simply a question of whether or not there are 5 justices who simultaneously feel that way when it comes time to decide a case. They could easily overturn the election and precipitate a Constitutional crisis, and they're more insulated from any fallout than the political branches by far.

If it goes to the House, the majority GOP delegations pick Trump. If competing slates of electors are sent, the two chambers of Congress will disagree on which ones to seat, and it will likely go to SCOTUS to decide. Guess how they'd rule?

It's far more fragile than anyone thinks. Trump could still pull this off. The probability is infinitesimally small, but as was pointed out above, all that is needed are willing individuals in the right places to pull the necessary levers of power and the election could be stolen.

18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I think the tensions have less to do with Trump maneuvering, and far more to do with Bibi knowing that he can go for a big play right now. If he opens war with Iran, moment Biden gets in he will go along with that fully. Might be harder if he tries during the admin.

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The Eponym and I have been in Portland since yesterday morning.

I wonder if New York will ignore the Supreme Court’s ruling about religious gatherings? I mean, Abraham Lincoln ignored the Taney Supreme Court. I believe that’s something we should begin to do. Ironically, we’re on our way to Lincoln City.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Seriously. Biden should order a deep clean of the White House and all executive offices where someone has been been positive, and then not move in for 2 weeks.

21. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The U.S. Supreme Court is somehow Trump and Giuliani's new panacea to win the election. Giuliani somehow framed their loss yesterday in the Federal 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals as a win. No, it was a loss. Giuliani tried to frame their loss in the federal appellate court yesterday along the lines that now they get to file with the U.S. Supreme Court.

These following statements do no show a win for Trump. Instead, they show a preview of the legal reasoning the U.S. Supreme Court may use:

Source: New York Times.com Date: Nov. 27, 2020 (Yesterday)
    Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/27/us/politics/trump-pennsylvania-appeals-court.html
    Link to PDF of U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit Court Decision: https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/203371np.pdf

BIBAS, Circuit Judge.

Free, fair elections are the lifeblood of our democracy. Charges of unfairness are serious. But calling an election unfair does not make it so. Charges require specific allegations and then proof. We have neither here. The Trump Presidential Campaign asserts that Pennsylvania’s 2020 election was unfair. But as lawyer Rudolph Giuliani stressed, the Campaign “doesn’t plead fraud. . . . [T]his is not a fraud case.” Mot. to Dismiss Hr’g Tr. 118:19–20, 137:18. Instead, it objects that Pennsylvania’s Secretary of State and some counties restricted poll watchers and let voters fix technical defects in their mail-in ballots. It offers nothing more.

This case is not about whether those claims are true. Rather, the Campaign appeals on a very narrow ground: whether the District Court abused its discretion in not letting the Campaign amend its complaint a second time. It did not.

Most of the claims in the Second Amended Complaint boil down to issues of state law. But Pennsylvania law is willing to overlook many technical defects. It favors counting votes as long as there is no fraud. Indeed, the Campaign has already litigated and lost many of these issues in state courts.

The Campaign tries to repackage these state-law claims as unconstitutional discrimination. Yet its allegations are vague and conclusory. It never alleges that anyone treated the Trump campaign or Trump votes worse than it treated the Biden campaign or Biden votes. And federal law does not require poll watchers or specify how they may observe. It also says nothing about curing technical state-law errors in ballots. Each of these defects is fatal,

Highlights from New York Times article:
    • " In a blistering decision, a Philadelphia appeals court ruled on Friday that the Trump campaign could not stop — or attempt to reverse — the certification of the voting results in Pennsylvania, reprimanding the president’s team by noting that “calling an election unfair does not make it so.” "
    • The 21-page ruling by the Third Circuit Court of Appeals was a complete repudiation of Mr. Trump’s legal effort to halt Pennsylvania’s certification process and was written by a judge that he himself appointed to the bench. “Free, fair elections are the lifeblood of our democracy,” Judge Stephanos Bibas wrote on behalf of the appeals court in a unanimous decision. “Charges require specific allegations and then proof. We have neither here.”
    • Then there was the judge whose ruling was upheld by the Third Circuit, Matthew W. Brann of Federal District Court in Williamsport, Pa. When Judge Brann, a former Republican official and member of the conservative Federalist Society appointed by former President Barack Obama, dealt Mr. Trump’s team an initial legal defeat last Saturday, he likened the suit to “Frankenstein’s monster,” saying it had been “haphazardly stitched together.” He also noted that the suit was filled with “strained legal arguments” and “speculative accusations” that were “unsupported by evidence.”

22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Release the Kraken-Jack box.

Now we just have to hope that SCOTUS cares about those pesky little things called evidence, or lack thereof, or do they want to call the entire state election unconstitutional, in a state that overwhelmingly voted for Biden, and instead hand it to the guy who lost by hundreds of thousands of votes.

Decisions...decisions.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    If anything, the Roberts Court has gotten too much praise from non-conservatives (and, ironically, howls of "BETRAYAL! RINO!" from conservatives) for decisions that weren't so much dismissive of the ideas behind the challenges and more of "While we agree with the sentiment, can you at least string together a coherent legal argument so we can approve it?"

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think Gorsuch or Roberts would go with it

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I don’t think Barrett will either. Unless she views Trump’s cult as an actual organized religion.

Kavanaugh is a possibility.