main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    You cannot blame what happened in Hawaii this morning on Trump. It be easy to do it but he had nothing to do with the wrong button being pushed. Now if you want to blast him for not getting off the golf course during the whole thing (like I am), then go right ahead.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm a bit more annoyed by the White House statement calling this "purely a state exercise". I'm not sure if I'm just reading too much into that phrase, which sounds less like an attempt at calm and more like distancing themselves. Its not quite an exercise as more like there's a big hole in the local emergency system, and some of the local officials didn't react quickly enough to calm things down (and I hope they'll go over every procedure they have for this kind of thing, they really need to improve things to avoid this kind of thing happening again).

There are several viral videos by now, but fortunately it wasn't complete pandemonium in all the streets. You never want to see that kind of message. I'm just afraid that if there's a next time and its real that people won't believe it. I also hope that the world situation won't be so worrisome, but well, one thing at a time.

EDIT: By now, to sum things up, sounds like someone pushed the wrong button during a shift change and... yeah, it really shouldn't be that easy to set off a panic like that. I understand that everyone was probably trying to verify things after that, but still. They've got to be more careful. And in 2018, talking about wrong buttons is particularly worrisome.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm not. I'm saying it's the ultimate symbol of life under the Trump administration. Cold war style fears stoked up. I'd like to be able to bottle the fear that Hawaiians felt this morning and export it to Alabama voters. also I'd send a free sample of eau d'apocalypse to @V-2

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, the problem is that once upon a time, like during the Obama years, a warning like that could go out and there would have been a collective shrug and everybody would have thought that it was obvious mistake. Now, with Trump in power for a year, we're at the place where the warning got sent out and everybody was like, "Oh my God, it's finally happening." If I had gotten that message this morning, I would have believed it. That's where we are as a collective society right now. People who voted for Trump specifically because they thought he would make us safer should really evaluate what happened this morning and think about that. Under Obama, the idea of a ballistic missile hitting a US state would have seemed ridiculous; under Trump, it seems absolutely plausible. Has he made us safer? He certainly hasn't made us feel safer.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Ya exactly

Ghost and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    BTW, on a funnier note: SNL got Bill Murray to play Steve Bannon in the open.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    He did if your primary fear in life was women and non-whites getting uppity and forgetting their place. Which is why they voted for him and why the White House felt comfortable initially celebrating his latest remarks.

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    And I now want Oprah to run as president just for more of Leslie Jones as Oprah.

Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    To shutdown or not to shutdown?

As recently as a week ago, I would've advised against a shutdown over DACA. But after Trump's remarks, I think Democrats win this fight, if not on substance, than certainly on the optics. If DACA truly dies, images of college students being arrested while walking across the quad to class and surgical residents being dragged out of cases by ICE agents will certainly endear minorities and everyone outside of Trump's base more tightly to the GOP for decades to come [face_plain]

I don't want to see it happen, not by a long shot, but maybe it needs to. Despite all the yelling from those who oppose him, other than stopping a full-throated ACA repeal, Trump, McConnell and Ryan have gotten a lot of what they wanted. Perhaps we need something to get people out in the streets and shake off their complacency. I'm not saying we aren't fighting back, but we could potentially do a lot more (like pressure corporate America to withhold investing in the US economy until policies change under the threat of boycott). I'm also wondering whether or not any of this energy will last long enough to make a difference in the midterms.

At this point, I think the Supreme Court is likely to uphold gerrymandering, which will make turnout all the more key. Kennedy might try and find a middle ground, but there's no guarantee.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'd like to think that this was a political move to blame the Democrats for not passing something he had no intention of actually supporting, but I sadly I think it was just another temper tantrum by Donny over his racist comments being exposed.

In other not-at-all-surprising news, Wal-Mart - in addition to the Sam's Clubs closing, is also reducing 3500 co-manager positions to lower-paid assistant manager positions. I guess that's like a raise, only in the other direction. So it still counts, right?

11. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    You know, I'm really not shocked anymore.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    There's no hope for anybody in this world now. Best to just nuke ourselves and let the next race take over in 60 + million years time.

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    well there's more people than ever now , so I suppose we're doing something right .

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    #reversediscrimination

16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Juliet316 and DANNASUK like this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes because Obama birther crap and Hawaii’s missile warning system are related ho-

Oh, wait.

:p

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  18. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    It appears Appleseed took over Juliet's account.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    If Appleseed doesn't win this year's funniest JCC'er award, I'll eat my hat

20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That does sound like a good Doctor Who episode.

23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Can we persuade a group of Weeping Angels to surround a certain group of "leaders?" :p

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And encourage them to blink.

25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    What does he look like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.