main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He's ****ing delusional

Nobody145, Ghost, Pensivia and 7 others like this.
  4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    That, and/or he’s banking on the ignorance of his base. Remember, this is the guy who, on the campaign trail, said “I love the poorly educated!”

EDIT: Speaking of poorly educated base, Ammon Bundy spoke kindly about the migrant caravans. The backlash has him reevaluating his supporters. From the article-

“I was asked multiple times from different various individuals what I thought about these caravans, and I didn’t know, to be honest with you. I didn’t know the facts,” he said. “So I began to research and try to determine the facts."

“The facts were rejected,” Bundy told The Washington Post. “I could only see that 99 percent of it was that same Trump rhetoric of calling all these people terrorists. And they’d pick out an isolated issue, and go, ‘Oh look, 40 of them are charging the border, so all 5,000 of them are bad.' … These refugees are not all the same. They didn’t come from the same places. They didn’t even come from the same country.”

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Rew, Nobody145, CT-867-5309 and 5 others like this.
  5. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH *breaths deep* HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Darth Smurf, Nobody145, Ghost and 6 others like this.
  6. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I'd love to see Trump get the French treatment.

7. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    That's why there would be a limited absentee balloting. For those who can't be at the polls on election day.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckd...te-change-taxes-is-america-next/#4a135e2d632e

And looks like the French have finally found the courage they've historically had to fight for freedom! God bless!

8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Hence my point about being unable to unseat them without violence.

To be clear, I’m not simply talking about civil unrest. Force can be applied in many ways, including economic. If millions of Americans refused to spend any money for 48 hours for any reason outside of emergencies, the ripple effect would be profound. If they did it in and to certain states and/or corporations for longer, pressure would soon be brought to bear on the political class.

There’s no pain like ‘loss-of-profit’ pain. Or to say it another way, “Hell hath no fury like a boycott-driven bad quarterly earnings report”.

9. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I think this is probably the best way to solve voter disenfranchisement. Not perfect (still excludes many people without stable residence/residence at all if we're going to issue them via mail) but would add back so many people in urban areas that don't own driver's licenses. Those of us in rural areas often don't understand that many people in cities don't get them as early as they can like we do.

And if you make it hard to fake (like Virginia's licenses) it'll be hard to get up in arms about voter fraud.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I still say we make Columbus Day Voting Day.

Most schools are closed. Many businesses are closed. Some Federal agencies are closed. And that's just because it is Monday. Nationalizing it would just shut the rest down. I also would welcome cutting short this insanity by a month. And getting rid of 'Columbus Day' as we know it would not be a bad idea either.

But I still think there should be early or absentee voting for those who might miss that one day for whatever reason.

I also still think we need to invest heavily in stronger voting machines and options. Voting should be as easy as an app on your phone. I can pay bills, make purchases, and check my bank account using a fingerprint and get a receipt for all the above. Why can't this be done with my vote? There are ways to do it while still keeping it anonymous. And if every voter were given their own tracking number and could see when their vote was counted (think tracking that delivery order you put in) then we'd know if our votes were actually counted and have a way to challenge it. And yes, hacking is a concern but there are ways to reduce and depending on how it is done, possibly eliminate such concerns. We just need to actually use smart people for this over the current machines that an 8th grader can crack in 5 minutes.

Rew, Sauntaero, Nobody145 and 7 others like this.
  11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Good idea, Yodaminch.

12. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Agreed. Blockchain technology could make voting electronically practically hacker-proof.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It’s already hard if you live in a fact-based world.

Bacon164, WriterMan, V-2 and 3 others like this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Blockchain is a good idea - unless you're one of the folks who don't go online for one reason or another. Here in the UK some of the rural areas have very poor net access - either extremely slow or non-existent. I'm sure the same is true in some areas of the US. As long as that remains the case there will be a need for physical or postal voting.

15. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The French have more social, political and economic freedoms under national and European laws than your average American.

gilets jaunes might have started out as an anti-tax protest, but it has spread to wider and more complex movements. Some of it historical economic injustice (grievances similar to the rust belt in America), some social reform (better pensions, higher minimum wage, increase public spending) and others would like to occupy the Elysee Palace and kill the President. Literally.

It has also spread to neighbouring countries, like Belgium. Hundreds tried to storm and burn down the European Parliament.

So, yeah, it is a little more complex than "taxes are bad"

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's amusing though predictable that the American right is painting what's happening in France as a rejection of taxes or fighting climate change per se.

Rew, DANNASUK, appleseed and 5 others like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    @DANNASUK - remember that the UK had the poll tax riots under Thatcher in 1991. They eventually did for her what Brexit might do for May (sent Thatcher packing, for those who don't know UK history. John Major succeeded her).

Rew and appleseed like this.
  18. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    appleseed likes this.
  19. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Kelly leaving at the end of the year. Nice weekend announcement that Trump hopes the media will bury.

Not a chance.

20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Thatcher's problem was also being too eurosceptic (isn't that ironic now?)

21. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Firing Mueller back on the radar?

I’d be surprised if Trump tried, but he’s running out of time—the GOP will soon lose unified control of Washington. Given that McConnell has shown little interest in advancing a “Mueller protection bill”, the next two weeks will be key. It would be insanely stupid for him to do so, but when the walls close in, Trump lashes out. If he’s smart, he’ll wait until a government funding deal is reached before making a move...but he isn’t smart. Just impulsive.

Nobody145 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    That's why we have the option to declare someone else will cast your vote. Technically doable early on voting day itself, if a police officer comes to see for themselves you're hospitalized and can't vote and issues the proper declaration to the town mayor.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't really think that's sustainable on a large scale though. On any given day, the number of people in the hospital is astronomical. A cop has to go and check on all of them and issue some sort of official report to validate that they're in the hospital?

I support making Election Day a holiday.

24. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I gave the technicalities to do it on election day itself - in case you just got hospitalized and have no other choice. If you know ahead of time, you can file for someone else to be your proxy, without involving moving police to you. It's just a matter of filing at the town council and/or sending them the documentation.

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Figures that Trump sees riots in other country (a country that has officially been an American ally for decades) and mocks them for it. Its scary seeing how many likes his tweets get for kind of stuff.

It sure would be nice if they beefed up the election machines too. There's so many complaints about voter ID yet some of the machines themselves are almost antiquated.

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.