main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I think what J-Rod is trying to get at is that a hoax like Smollett's is clear proof that racism, like climate change, does not exist. Its all big lie and black people and other minorities are just a bunch lazy crybabies who want everything the easy way. And that is the only reason they're down on their luck.

2. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
    Meanwhile, in the cesspool that is the Republican party:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-ca...ion-over-absentee-ballot-fraud-213703280.html

The North Carolina Board of Elections voted unanimously to hold a new election in the state’s Ninth District after overwhelming evidence of vote tampering.

Prior to the board’s decision, Republican Mark Harris, the declared winner in the race who had been fighting for his election to be certified, changed his position and called for a new election. Harris was initially declared the winner by 905 votes over Democrat Dan McCready, but the race was never certified, as evidence began to surface of ballot fraud by employees of the Harris campaign. On the fourth day of an evidentiary hearing by the board, Harris said there should be another election.

Also, Roger Stone begged for mercy like the little bitch he is:

https://secondnexus.com/news/amy-be...K&tse_id=INF_cf826140362c11e9b433ab68d22425b2

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    There go the Dems, with their election fraud.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    He's talking about UK politics but it's relevant here.

"Centrism is Thatcherism with Diversity"

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Odd, Trump had a lot to say about Smollett, but nothing about the right-wing, white nationalist psychopath that planned to kill all the people on Trump's 'enemies' list. o_O

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m sure he’s a very fine person. Trump is probably angry at the Coast Guard for giving him a dishonorable discharge.

8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Trump’s next rally speech about this crazy dude:

“He’s probably just ‘misunderstood’ and ‘disturbed’. The Fake News media needs to give him a chance. They’re always so quick to judge, like the kid in the Native American protest. Now he’s suing the Washington Post for $250 million dollars. Hey Russia, if you’re listening, would you mind paying his attorney’s fees? I’d do it but my lawyer bills are piling up. I have no dealings with Russia but I think they can pay some good lawyers. Why aren’t they talking about Crooked Hillary’s emails? Lock her up!”

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
  10. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    ^ Saber rattling. It’s for domestic consumption back home, since low oil prices have hurt Russia’s economy.

They can’t outspend the United States in another Cold War. Although the risk of an accidental launch is certainly climbing.

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    If I were even more of a conspiracy theorist than I already have always been, I'd think that Putin and Trump secretly agreed to this nuclear arms race play-acting in order to bolster Trump's claim that he is not a compromised Putin puppet. But that's reverse Hannity style thinking, so I should probably try to avoid that.

12. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    This is obvious, but also redundant.

If the divisions in this thread are any indication, Trump won’t need to lift a finger. He’ll coast to reelection on a razor-thin Midwestern/Ohio/Florida plurality.

Rew likes this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The Democratic primary season is going to be a crazy chaotic mess not completely unlike the previous Republican primary, but without the charismatic rebel underdog whom everyone dismisses yet emerges triumphant because of the primary power of the party's idiot base. It's going to take a while for a winner to emerge, but it will be Biden if Biden runs, because money and branding.

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I expect a lot of horse race narratives are already being written for every possible outcome.

MrZAP and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    The Democrats have tons of problems, the biggest being the candidate with the most charisma is Bernie, and he is so old and a lot of party faithful hate him. Plus Trump is great at what he does, as vile as it is, and voter suppression makes things so much tougher for them.

16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    And I doubt he'll win the general election against Trump.

Not to handicap this early, but I see an even bigger EC victory for Trump next year if a woman isn't on the top of the ticket. I don't think Millenials will turn out for Biden. Bernie, perhaps, but not Biden. I like him personally, and I think he could take back Ohio and maybe Florida, but only by stealing away Obama/Trump voters. He doesn't click with just about every other demographic out there.

Which again makes my point: Democrats refuse to unify. We let fights over purity vs pragmatism (which I've engaged in numerous times around here myself) guide our votes. Maybe 2020 will be different given how badly not-Trump's-base wants to defeat Trump (even among some in the GOP), but I just don't see it happening unless certain people make it all the way.

Harris could pull it off. I'm less thrilled with Warren as a candidate despite being in love with her platform. Booker strikes me as plastic but he has a loyal following. Beto is a phenomenon but too center-right for the Left (which they may or may not excuse next year). Gillibrand won't last, and I doubt Buttigieg will either (though I also like what I've seen so far from him).

The wild card right now is Bernie. If he makes it, he will have fundamentally transformed the Democratic Party. The establishment is already gunning for him, though, over the Maduro issue. Overall, I just don't see much in the way of unity come November of next year. I'm willing to be proven wrong, though, and wouldn't be happier if I were.

MrZAP, unicorn and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The only thing that has hurt Trump with his base is the reality of the new tax regime. It sucks, and that betrayal will get repeated next April. The Democrats have to choose a nominee, and that nominee will have plenty of ammunition for driving a wedge between Trump and the working class Republicans who thought their taxes would be lower.

Jedi Merkurian and Vaderize03 like this.
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I read a nightmare "what if?" What if Sanders hadn't run in 2016? Probably Medicare for All and a Green New Deal wouldn't be seriously talked about, let alone be virtual litmus tests for any hopeful. What would the Democrats be offering as a real alternative to the Republicans? Probably nothing except more Clinton-Obama third way bull****. The Democrats really should be thanking him for giving them an actual direction other than "Let's coast on Obama's charisma."

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    there's definitely going to be a "let's coast on Obama's charisma" candidate, be it Biden or Booker or Beto.

20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Darth Guy
    My favorite anti-Bernie argument is that he has moved the party to the left, therefore now his message has become mainstream and... we don't need him anymore.

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    He's old. That's my argument against him. I wish I could say it wasn't about age, but it is. I supported him last election, but we do not need some geriatric running this country. We've seen where that leads.

22. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Trump's age is at the end of the list of the reasons why he sucks.

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Well, obviously, but the younger Trump at least had some semblance of a brain that wasn't slowly being eaten away by whatever causes Alzheimer's. He may not be full blown, but it is there.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Sanders is old" would be more compelling if

1. He were showing signs of dementia.
    2. There were a younger candidate with the same platform and left-wing bonafides. The closest is Warren and she will also be over 70.

I do think a second term would be hard for him and he would need a strong VP pick.

MrZAP, Ghost, Abadacus and 1 other person like this.
  25. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.