main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    nm

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    MI usually votes Democrat for presidential elections. I was genuinely shocked that we went red in 2016. Trump didn't win by much of a margin, and I seldom hear anything good about him around here. I think the state will go blue next time.

I think.

. . . don't quote me. :(

SuperWatto likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In North Carolina it is going to be important to get Democratic/progressive independent voters out next year not only to defeat Trump but to give the current General Assembly the boot. And keep Gov. Cooper, because Dan Forrest is awful.

And it’s fairly easy to pinpoint where we need to go to get voters to the polls: Charlotte, the Triad, and Research Triangle, and more rural areas that are majority-minority. The areas that carried the state for Trump are the rural, majority-white counties, mostly east of Greenville and west of Charlotte.

Rew and darklordoftech like this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I wasn’t shocked. I was starting to suspect late in the game based on all the Trump signs I was seeing in the Detroit Metro area of all places. The people I know who voted for him still support him 100%. They still think he’s great and still spew brainless slogans like “he’s a great businessman”. Also, they hate Mexicans. I know because they said so directly.

Though every time I go to the post office the old white dudes who work there are talking trash about Trump and how they can’t wait to vote his ass out. Gives me hope.

I also imagine Michigan farmers aren’t happy with Trump, as they’ve said so. Still, people are stupid. I wouldn’t put it past them to vote for him anyway.

We usually go blue for President, but we’ve had plenty of Republican governors. I’m hoping Trump’s victory in 2016 will wake up apathetic Dem voters, but I’m not counting on it.

You also have to look at the changing demographics. Detroit, the biggest base of Democrat voters, has lost a ton of population this century. We may no longer have enough people to carry the state. Also, young people are fleeing the state in droves. We’re becoming an old people state.

It was a big mistake for Hillary to assume Michigan. Bernie would have won, however.

Rew, Outsourced, Abadacus and 2 others like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bernie won Michigan in the primary. Why the hell Hillary thought she had a “blue wall” is beyond me.

Abadacus and heels1785 like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I’m guessing because, for some reason, there’s this idea that the Clintons are beloved in Detroit (despite Clinton policies having particularly devastating consequences here). I know it’s been a narrative since the 90s; well, things change.

The rest of the state hates her. We had a lot of Obama voters vote for Bernie, then Trump. I’m pretty sure Warren is also liked here more than Hillary.

Everyone underestimated the anger at Hillary and expected usual Democratic voters to show out for her. I did. But then we’ve always had plenty of conservatism here; we’ve always been a swing state in my mind.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Clinton was hit with a perfect storm of:
    - Dislike, increased by Trump and emails
    - Apathy and the belief both are “just as bad”
    - Legal blows like the Voting Rights Act
    Ruling that led to more disenfranchisement
    - Russian interference. I am still convinced to this day some voting machines were infiltrated in some states-specifically those with no paper record whatsoever.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Hillary Clinton is as repugnant as Donald Sterling. If she actually cared about people, she would be condemning these human rights abuses at the border or something like that. But what does she use her name recognition to do? To promote inaccurate conspiracy theories like she's Alex Jones. She may have won the popular vote against Trump even if she lost the electoral college, but she lost the Rust Belt to him and gave us Trump. She would be just as corporatist and war-hungry as he is if she were in office. I'm tired of her infantile sentiments. She cheated against Bernie, who only wants the best for workers and people in general. I'm beyond tired of her corrupt self. She should be ashamed of herself, and she should fade into the background.

Abadacus, CT-867-5309 and Iron_lord like this.
  9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Yes. This is so true. I haven't been able to stand this war criminal since 2002.

vncredleader and darklordoftech like this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    She probably thought, “I doubt there’s many Kerry-Trump voters.”
    I’ll never understand why he was so popular with the media from the moment he announced his candidacy in 1999.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Darth Nerdling and vncredleader like this.
  12. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    People weren't yet familiar enough with Karl Rove to see "Compassionate Conservatism" for the empty label it was, including the press.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Because he was an affable idiot expected to be another middle of the road pro-corporate candidate.
    The question is why the press didn't focus their attention on Cheney, considering his significant past in US politics.

Rew and Darth Nerdling like this.
  14. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Between his time serving in the House and as Bush 41's SecDef I think much of the press regarded Cheney as largely a known quantity. He spent a lot of time in front of cameras giving briefings and interviews during the lead up to and the aftermath of the Gulf War. But his views on many things had changed since that time, as some who knew him well would later attest. The same guy who considered removing Saddam Hussein and occupying Iraq a potential quagmire best avoided did a full 180 by the time he was VP.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I was thinking more of his past in the late 70s, where he and his lifetime partner in crime Rumsfeld worked hard to scuttle any sort of nuclear detente with the Russians through falsified reports, similar to the same tricks they pulled with Iraq.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    CNN - Jimmy Carter hospitalized following a fall at home last night. Has a minor pelvic fracture, according to the article. However, at age 95, any fall is not good.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Jimmy Carter, the best ex president of our time.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    He's certainly done a lot for charity with the Habitat for Humanity work.

Juliet316 and darklordoftech like this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Bush was often vague and non-committal on both domestic and foreign policy while Gore gave consistent and specific policies, but the media didn’t talk about that. Bush and Cheney were surrounded by sex trafficker Mel Sembler, but the media didn’t talk about that. Bush opposed S-CHIP as Governor, but the media didn’t talk about that. The media didn’t afford Gore and Lieberman the same privileges. Gore never said he invented the internet, but the media twisted Gore’s words to make it sound liks he did. Nobody noticed Gore sighing at the debates until the media attacked Gore for it. Lieberman didn’t support Apartheid South Africa nor was he CEO of an oil-drilling company, yet the media covered Cheney far more positively than it covered Lieberman.

Darth Nerdling and blackmyron like this.
  20. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    If he dies, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump called him a bad President and a loser. Such class.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  21. robert martins

robert martins Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2018
    Is that why he got absolutely trounced in his re-election bid? Because things were so good?

22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    so anxious to make a point that you don't even bother to read. EX president is what I wrote. I respect his post-presidency. The structure of the sentence makes that clear in my view. You're pouncing on a point no one is making.

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Reagan did better than Trump, certainly, but so did every other US President ever elected.

Juliet316 and SuperWatto like this.
  24. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Hey Bob, how about that phoney boloney Emoulments Clasue? That Constitution thing is all fake news, except for the Second Amendment, right?

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Hot take: the Constitution is **** and we really should not be looking to a document written by slave-owning white dudes from a few centuries ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.