main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Here in the UK voting third party can be the kingmaker vote, so when undecided I've always voted third party (The Green Party specifically.). Except this last election when it was too close to call, when I voted Labour.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the American system doesn't actually have the capacity to make a third party the kingmaker.

It would be nice if the vast majority of Americans stopped following the two main parties, and allowed for the smaller parties to have a little more power. But if that were realistic, I feel that Bernie Sanders would be running as an independent right now.

2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Oh I could. I am honestly surprised it took now until the car fell off the track completely.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    But they don’t. They either forget about it by the election or they “don’t like the other candidate”
    no if Bernie ran as third party it would do nothing but insure Donald Trump would win. There are enough democrats who just won’t vote for Bernie for one reason or another and stick with Biden that neither one would win.

Third Parties are what cost the election in 2000 and 2016 although to a lesser extent. Third parties can work in other countries and could work in America if they were big enough, but they aren’t and I don’t want to risk growing third parties when it means Donald Trump will be elected again.

Luke02 likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    You could say Third Parties were one of the influences in the 1992 election as well.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am not that well versed in the Clinton Election I’ll have to do some research thanks for pointing it out

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    We have a all or nothing system. Third parties wont ever work. But they are not the problem. As I wrote in my last final for college ever politicians are stamp of time for what people were like during that time period since they were chosen by the people to represent them. They are part of the pool not outside it. Much as I wish I could say Trump is a secret alien just like the Simpsons Presidential Holloween episode he isnt.

And @Juliet316 true but most Perot voters were split between Bush Sr and Clinton as their second choice. Clinton most likely would have won if it were a two person race but Perot obviously help him more then hurt. And give Bush #41 credit. A lot of GOPers said Clinton didnt really win because of the three split race and didnt get 50% of the vote. He called it nonsense and said Bill kick his butt.

darklordoftech and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Be kinda like investigating Anonymous.

Also, SCOTUS rulings will be landing soon. Abortion, LGBTQ rights and DACA. Should be an easy roster of unified, non-controversial opinions that everyone will agree on.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  8. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    Soooo batman has shown up.....

9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i think that's probably true @Luke02 , although i think Buchanan and Perot kind of eroded Bush from the Right in the first half of the year.

darklordoftech and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That's why I mentioned it was one of the influences, I know there were a lot more reasons why Bill won over Bush 41 (the economy at that point, Clinton's ability to engage younger voters etc,), but there's no real denying that even if it was a small factor, Perot's entrance into the race and pretty much demanding a seat at the table (i.e., the debate stage) was one.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There are reports that police officers at the protests are taking a knee with the protesters.

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I find it interesting how Perot appealed to both Buchananites/Trumpists and to Naderites.

Luke02 likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes find the non existent leaders to the non existent group.

Abadacus and FatBurt like this.
  15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Reminds me of the skinny white kid who risk a pandemic and a race riot to steal legos. If you scripted a movie, nobody would believe this. A race riot during a pandemic while a reality tv host was president. If flashing locusts should up next month, it be honestly unsurprising.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Considering that Trump is seen as “abnormal” and Biden as “return to normal”, that four years of Trump didn’t prevent the riots, that Trump seems to be inciting violence against the protesters, and Trump’s “fine people” comment about Charlottesville, Biden might be seen as the “law and order” candidate.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So how is Trump attempting to justify this Antifa crackdown??

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    People just think Biden will be Obama 2.0 I think that’s actually how he won over Sanders. I don’t think he will be, but he’ll still be better than Trump and I think that’s enough for many people. Maybe even enough to win.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

20. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Fox

21. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    How long do you think until someone on that network suggests Trump label the “Democrat Party” a terrorist organization?

22. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    Just read that the 82nd airbourne is being readed to head to Minneapolis. I watch alot of battle royal video games and first thought when i read this was what every says when playing "so,where we droping boys?"

Yoda's_Roomate likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well that can only end well

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It will end when COVID decides it does. I expect in a few weeks people will be too sick to protest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.