main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Wow. 6 whole classes to be trained as a citizen immigration police officer!

I took a bread making class once that took longer.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Mitt calls it what it is:

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Is he actually going to anything about it or just continue to wring his hands while voting in favor of Trump’s judicial nominees and policy proposals?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  4. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    He’s tweeting. And we know how Trump loves it when other people steal his air... :p
    But seriously, I’m sure the tweeting is to provoke a reaction from Trump.

In truth, I think Romney is building to endorsing Joe. Romney isn’t the type to just say don’t vote Trump. He knows that isn’t enough. He knows how dangerous Trump is. Frankly, even though he’d lose, he should have primaried Trump. I wish I could see him wheeling and dealing in a back room to oust Trump before the convention, but we all know that even if he were willing, he’d never get the buy in from the rest because they have no spines.

But beyond that, all he can try and do is shame the others- except they have no shame at this point. I’m sure someone checked to see if Susan Collins was at DEFCON Level 1 in her Concerned scale or not (which is extreme hand wringing and brow furrowing), but that will be the extent of any reaction from the Republican Senate.

The House Republicans meanwhile have all just drank the cult Kool-Aid. There is no hope for them when you look at the ridiculous “look over there!” arguments from Kevin McCarthy.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He should still vote against Trump policy proposals though.

Yodaminch likes this.
  6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I feel like there's always this expectation that by being opposed to Trump, one must therefore oppose anything that Trump also supports. Romney's still conservative on a lot of issues, so expecting the rest of that to change doesn't make particular sense. For a broader example, since Trump said something about wanting to do a second round of stimulus checks, should the policy be to oppose additional stimulus checks now, as that would be opposing an idea Trump has voiced some support for?

7. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    This will not end well.

8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    he voted to convict him during the impeachment trial. what else by himself can he really do?

PCCViking likes this.
  9. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    It’s pretty much the same thing W did for Scooter Libby. Sure it was a favor to VP instead of to himself, but I’d put it on par.
    For equal time, its like Clinton pardoning his brother...though the crime was much lower offense

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The "stimulus checks" the Trump administration want would only go to people making $40k or less (likely going by their last tax return). 28 million people are at risk of eviction and still more are experiencing hunger. The administration don't even support extending the enhanced unemployment. So yes, he should face pushback on his do-less proposal.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wow. $40K a year is not enough to cover food and decent housing here and cost of living here is among the cheapest in the country. Anyone making that little needed stimulus before the pandemic.

12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That's more into the weeds than my broader point, which is that Romney's still going to have roughly the views he'd have sans Trump, and so for a lot of policy that isn't too unusual for a Republican, Romney's still going to back it and "just do the opposite of Trump" isn't really a political philosophy. Not that when we get to a final proposal, more shouldn't be pushed for when it comes to the stimulus checks and the like

Bilbo Fett and Yodaminch like this.
  13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
  14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree with Ender. But it's only because the more people die, the more the economy gets worse, the more people will prefer anybody other than Trump. Biden himself has little of Obama's magic. If Biden hadn't been Obama's VP, he would have lost a long while ago like he did during the first two runs he made. That's just my perception. A vote for Biden is a vote during a crisis to get the due who's causing the Vietnam-level and 911-level deaths (T-RUMP).

15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Vietnam for american soldiers. I get the point, but the larger horror of foreign policy being unimportant to voters is shown in that people have been talking about domestic deaths only, and then talk about Vietnam as this awful thing......while only counting american invaders who died. I understand why covid deaths are more significant to people, but it is like we are already giving ourselves permission to justify whatever Biden does with "well such and such amount of AMERICANS died". Ive seen to many libs who are woke but then will flat out say "why would I care about Iraqis dying?"

16. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Thoughts and prayers. Better than masks.

17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Joffrey is coo-coo as usual.

18. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I think Romney was all in on masks pretty early on. I recall him wearing one when he marched with the BLM protests in DC anyway. Maybe he's said some things counter to that but I haven't seen it if so.

19. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Mueller speaks. :eek:

Roger Stone remains a convicted felon, and rightly so

20. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    by the way , did anyone see Michael Flynn last week on twitter put out a video making a pledge to the make believe q'anon organization. guessing that didn't make it on to Fox

21. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    @Yodaminch

I saw that too. Wow. When Barr isn’t on the same page as Trump, that’s bad.

Juliet316 and Yodaminch like this.
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    He's been one of the few GOPers who haven't run with Trump's 'It's a Hoax!' line. IIRC, he was none too happy when Rand Paul was all over the Congressional Gym and hanging out with Senators and then Paul announced he'd tested positive for COVID a few hours later.

23. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Well this is setting the internet in PR on fire tonight.

https://www.motherjones.com/politic...ng-puerto-rico-as-hurricane-maria-approached/

Donald Trump’s initial reaction to the devastating hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico in 2017 were to suggest that the United States sell, or “divest” from the territory, a former acting secretary of Homeland Security said on Friday. Elaine Duke, who served as Trump’s second secretary of Homeland Security, replacing John Kelly when he became Trump’s chief-of-staff, has become the latest former Trump cabinet member to speak out against her old boss, telling the New York Times in an interview this past week that Trump cares little about policy, and uses “hate-filled, angry and divisive” language.

“The president’s initial ideas were more of as a businessman, you know,” she recalled. “Can we outsource the electricity? Can we can we sell the island? You know, or divest of that asset?”

[​IMG]

24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I remember reading something that there were warehouses full of relief supplies that never made it to any actual people because reasons. I think people even stumbled on the warehouses where it was all stored and started distributing it themselves.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.