main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    He's going all out in the final hours before the election. This is the final leg of the campaign. Trump's sprinting to the final. But really what choice does he have if he is losing?

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    He can resign, admit to his crimes and face prosecution, and live out the rest of his life in a comfortable jail cell.

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It's funny but the more he does rallies as the cases go up, the more it hurts him in the polls. They want to see an effective CEO and leader guide us thru this next wave. Instead they got a carnival leader literally. It sounds crazy but him running a campaign like this was most likely the worst mistake they could have made. He should done the Rose Garden Campaign like Nixon in 1972. But that meant actually working so never mind! :)

4. Bob Saget from the 90's

Bob Saget from the 90's Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2018
    This is not even remotely a possibility, nor should it be because it is a completely unworkable solution. Kinda ridiculous magical thinking really.

And what does that have to do with communism?

Nevermind about the communism question I get what your putting down.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    It doesn't really have to do with communism, but as I said, Korea has done something like that. The Germany example probably wasn't the best.

I agree that it's not easy to do, namely because once the separation is made each side would have a very difficult time agreeing on how to structure the new governments (this forum is an example of that!), but the left and the right have fundamental differences that are not getting any easier to reconcile. It's been pointed out to me that compromise is not desirable when the two sides want different things and one is not playing fair anyway. If that's the case, then why stay united at all?

The biggest complications I foresee with this solution is separating the military as well as lingering political disagreements among the people on each side, but I have a feeling that if the United States was to split into a left-wing and a right-wing government, most of the world such as the United Nation powers would support the side that the non-Trumpists were on.
    While it’s true that extremely left-wing governments like the Soviet Union are not favored by most countries, it’s also true that the current US is to the right of many of its fellow nations including most of Europe and that Trump had alienated most of our former allies in favor of authoritarian leaders

And I don’t even like the idea of certain United Nations having privileges such as nukes, but that’s another story.

edited for elaboration

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think I've said as much, but I don't think people in this country really have unbridgeable differences. The reason our politics are so poisonous is because of a persistent smear campaign by conservatives and the alternate reality bubble they've created for themselves. Without that, people could get along fine and come to a workable compromise. That said however, it might well be too late...the poison of Fox News and other right-wing propaganda has already had too much time to set in and harden in people's minds, so maybe separation is the only option.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The pandemic is a settled question. Focusing on Biden being better than Trump on the pandemic in a discussion thread would be like focusing on whether 2+2 = 4. Discussion threads are more generally for unsettled questions and disagreements.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Doesn't matter what the situation is, whenever I hear the word communism my first thought is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The current Federal Salary Advisor quits in protest of new Executive Order.

"The executive order, issued Wednesday, stripped job protections for many federal workers in a move that unions and Democrats denounced as an attempt to politicize the civil service.

Agencies are required to place any worker responsible for the handling of policy — a number that one union leader said could be hundreds of thousands — under a new category, called Schedule F, by Jan. 19, the day before the presidential inauguration."

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

At least they are paying a few of their debts but only because they are forced to.

11. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Well, she's in. All I have to say is

PACK THE COURT

To me this is a fight to extinction. The current conservative way of thinking has to die out. No giving up, no backing down. They have to go away.
    As far as social principles go, there is no compromise.

12. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    They aren't conservatives, they are proto-fascists.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Agreed. There's far more at stake here than winning rounds in an arbitrary game of realpolitik.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Everyone, you're panicking over nothing. Amy Barrett has indicated at her swearing in ceremony that she will be 'independent' - she won't listen to Congress, or the President, or enact her own private political beliefs. She will only represent the independence and non-partisanship of the Federalist Society 100%, without deviation, with the other two members of the Federalist Society that are on the Supreme Court.
    Only a small group of incredibly powerful people with your best interests at heart should have a say in decisions that affect every aspect of your life, where the dirty little hands of voters can't touch them.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Packing the court is the only option right now. I know some democrats don’t like it but whatever

Alpha-Red likes this.
  16. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Yeah, I wouldn’t have liked the packing option, but I don’t care about playing fair anymore. As you guys are saying, no compromise. Not worth it with these people if it ever is with conservatives whose ideology is built around restricting rights.

I don’t buy the independent thing for one second.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You shouldn't. There's plenty of conservative politicians that are saying outright how Barrett's going to 'fix things'.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    We have to accept that at this point it’s likely that Roe v Wade is dead unless both Kennedy and Gorsuch decide against it which I doubt

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I saw that this morning. Honestly, I don't think we will survive 4 more years of this. And if this isn't a landslide for Biden, then we will likely see Trump steal this election. And short of armed revolt, what other recourse will there be? It'll be the height of irony once Trump is the one coming for the guns.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This country will go down the ****ter real fast if trump tries to steal it.

We gotta get out and vote and convince as many to vote as possible

21. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    They won't flat out repeal it or the ACA. Death by a thousand cuts is more effective.

Plus rich white people will want to get abortions for their daughters if a minority knocks them up.

22. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    It’s always worth it to work with - and respect the views and opinions of - those whom we disagree with. That’s what Democracy In America is.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Strict constructionism has to go. Strict constructionists either think we can ignore the fact that the Constitution was written and enacted by white supremacist colonialists who thought only people who looked like them should vote, who wanted “the right to keep and bear arms” so they could control their slaves and drive indigenous people off the land they thought they had the “right” to have because “reasons”—or they don’t care.

If it’s not going to be a living document—and more “living” than molasses going uphill in wintertime (hence the inability to enact the Equal Rights Amendment in 20-****ing-20, but that could also just be because we have too many misogynists)—then it needs to be rewritten altogether.

24. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I'm seeing conservatives comment that its positive for them the record numbers of people voting early. I wonder if its just wishful thinking or something else. Its quite the contrary: the higher the numbers, the more likely it is for them to lose.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  25. robert martins

robert martins Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2018
    lf Democrats pack the court, eventually the Republicans will repack the court when they control government again, which will happen, in about 50 years the court will have more justices than the senate has senators. It will be a joke.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.