main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    My thought was that they would focus on the more cinematically appealing Mark Antony era, as that eventually brought both of their deaths and ushered in the golden age of Rome when Augustus was the head of state, but who knows. I'm sure Caesar will be in it. Hopefully we won't have to pay $50 to see it debut on streaming channels.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    A Cleopatra film without Caesar is only half a story. You have to show her rise so her ultimate fall will be all the more tragic.

EDIT: It would also be nice if they actually used Marcus Antonius’ name and not the anglicized form of it. I know it’ll never happen because audiences know him as Mark Antony but it’s a pet peeve of mine. :p

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    TCF-1138 , Darth PJ and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Cleopatra is in Star Wars now? That's it, give it all back to George, Disney.

RetropME, Riv_Shiel and EHT like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Bring back Ciaran Hinds!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Ciaran Hinds was good. It’s a damn shame Rome ended so soon.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Being a Roman history nut... Rome is still probably (after I Claudius) my favourite TV show. It was a huge missed opportunity when they condensed several years into season 2, which seemed to end the series abruptly. If it had continued, I always thought Vorenus and Pullo would end up being embroiled in the rise of early Christianity (or proto-Christainaity)... that might have been interesting to see that play out.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Easily the best Rome depiction was Caligula with Malcom McDowell.... OK maybe not.... :D

The docudrama on Netflix was pretty interesting ("Roman Empire") and mostly well done. The episodes on Caligula show why he was so unhinged; he learned his sick ways from Tiberius, the great uncle he took over from (who was almost as sick as Caligula). They did a good Cesar series, but I was disappointed they didn't do Octavian, the consensus greatest of them all.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Our dog is Nero.

This information is as topical as anything else at this point.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The greatest Roman Emperor was Didius Julianus. Fight me. Okay obviously not I just like saying (or writing) his name. :p

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's a marvelous name for a leader.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, aside from great names...

I don't think anyone topped Julius Cesar as a conqueror, if that is the top measure of greatness.

No one can touch Octavian for bringing peace (ushered in Pax Romana), prosperity, and the advancement of society (plus, he put down Cesar's killers and drove Antony and Cleopatra to suicide, so that's something too).

For the king of debauchery, I'm told by my historian friend that it's a 3 way tie between Caligula, Nero, and Tiberius (I favor Caligula just because of the sheer twisted will of some of the things he was rumored to have done on a more personal level to people).

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Tag me when we get to Transylvanian and Walachian Voivodes.

I'm ready to unload a dissertation on the voivodeship of Ladislas Kan.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Julius Caesar wasn’t an Emperor so he doesn’t count. ;) Trajan extended the Roman Empire to its greatest territorial extent so he has a good argument for being the greatest military leader among Roman Emperors.

Darth PJ likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nero probably thought he was the greatest military leader too.

Lee_ likes this.
  15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    lol, Nero is an example the serious problem you have when a sexual deviant is in charge of an army. Although to be fair, he was far from the only Roman leader you could say that about.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That is if you see Caesar’s killers as unjustified in their actions. Caesar was a dictator that ended the Republic. So I’m with Brutus and his crew. They were greater than Caesar in their commitment to the Republic. ;)

Also, none of my cats are named after Roman Emperors for this reason.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The assassin’s didn’t kill Caesar for any altruistic reasons. The Roman Republic was for all intents and purposes an oligarchy controlled by an elite few. The assassin’s killed Caesar not because they were dedicated to democracy but because he threatened the power of the aristocracy. They were no better than he was.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This is the most informative and interesting this thread has ever been. I'm like, learning stuff. What the hell, people?

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    This. Any semblance of actual democracy was not offered to Rome until it was transformed into an Empire.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Seriously, the less said about the boni the better. They were the ancient equivalent of the Republican Party. Their sole purpose was to preserve the wealth, privilege and power of the aristocracy. They staunchly opposed any kind of reform that might improve the system and the lives of its citizens.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    "Senatores boni viri, senatus autem mala bestia"

Bor Mullet and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it is more complex than that (the empire I mean, not your cats :)).

They were only dedicated to their own piece of the pie, not the Republic. The reason it was a good thing was that Octavian (later Augustus as we know) needed to do that among other perhaps questionable things to ensure that he didn't meet Cesar's fate, and could go on to do better things with Rome (which he most certainly did).

But let's not talk about bloody transitions of power, it might hex us with the month of November coming soon and all.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Lol. History is alive in here!

Just for the record, I was simplifying things for effect (just recreating the propaganda-driven lines of division at the time to create artificial conflict here). Roman trolling, basically. Putting the knife down now. ;)

I know the Roman system at the time was by no means a representative republic, as we understand one, and that the Roman Senate was hardly a standard-bearer for democracy. It was a racist, sexist and classist oligarchy. That said, Caesar was also a dictator, and his excellent memoirs aside (and an admirable effort to give the outer provinces representation in the Senate), he isn’t worthy of the vast scale and scope of praise he gets from genuflecting historians. Even if positive reforms did flow from the upending of the Roman aristocracy.

Maybe I should hold onto this knife though. I hear “Never Forget Caesar’s Assassination” is going viral. ;)

@A Chorus of Disapproval The Transylvanian and Walachian Voivodes, on the other hand, I have serious issues with to this day.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    As you ought.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I feel dumb now.

Bor Mullet likes this.